Six Houston Center At 800 Caroline St.

UrbaNerd

That use to be on that block??... and they tore it down why??

Wow! Its been a few years since I was last on here!

I missed the other 50 replies, but will say based on the initial rendering I am disapointed in the architecture of this building. If you are going to spend $100 million on a building whats another 1 - 2 million for a little bit better architecture. Sure HKS isn't Renzo or Foster but I think they could crank out a better design (this is all based on the first rendering I looked at on the first post).

And I guess the first building was torn down back when Houston Center was being planned. Didn't the original plan include like 8 - 10 highrises around the Park Shops development? Probably why it was torn down, sad though!

• 3 weeks later...
All the parking lots around the historic part of DT and the drive-in banks, what use to be their? Were they all old two-three story building that were torn down? What about all the lots around MMP? What about along Main towards Midtown?If so when did all these place get torn down and why? I really would appreciate some info about this. Thank you.....

It is sad what was torn down for that parking lot. It could have been awesome apartments. Someone one time told me that the old Rice hotel was almost torn down at one time. Look what that turned into, one of the best blocks DT!

I Remember seeing a photo of Downtown Houston in the 70's when 1 Shell Plaza was built, there were alot of surface lots. Even more came in the 80's during the booms when old buildings were torn down for 1,000 foot skyscrapers (that never came) and huge developements like the Houston Center.

Wow! Its been a few years since I was last on here!

I missed the other 50 replies, but will say based on the initial rendering I am disapointed in the architecture of this building. If you are going to spend $100 million on a building whats another 1 - 2 million for a little bit better architecture. Sure HKS isn't Renzo or Foster but I think they could crank out a better design (this is all based on the first rendering I looked at on the first post).

And I guess the first building was torn down back when Houston Center was being planned. Didn't the original plan include like 8 - 10 highrises around the Park Shops development? Probably why it was torn down, sad though!

What happened to the 757?

All the parking lots around the historic part of DT and the drive-in banks, what use to be their? Were they all old two-three story building that were torn down? What about all the lots around MMP? What about along Main towards Midtown?If so when did all these place get torn down and why? I really would appreciate some info about this. Thank you.....

It is sad what was torn down for that parking lot. It could have been awesome apartments. Someone one time told me that the old Rice hotel was almost torn down at one time. Look what that turned into, one of the best blocks DT!

Don't look too hard for some of the stuff that used to be there. It is depressing as hell. I remember when they tore down the Witch Hat house on Fannin and that was around 1997. But a lot of this stuff was torn down before WWII. Intersting that a lot of the grand houses had a shelf life of about 30 years even back then. The more things change...

Anyway, here are some houses that used to exist along Main St. in Midtown and near the Ballpark.

House4.jpg

house3.jpg

House2.jpg

house1.jpg

Edited by capnmcbarnacle

Sigh. Hard to believe that those parking lots were once things of value.

Is it really that hard to believe?

Those parking lots produce a nice income stream. The 6 Houston Center lot is far more valuable as a parking lot than as a couple of houses...

Why don't we just turn all of the most beautiful historical homes in Houston into parking lots then?

Starting with nate's! lol, j/k

Seriously, it's a crying shame that everything in Houston seems to come down to "how much money can be made off this". Oh well, such is life in my adopted hometown.

Why don't we just turn all of the most beautiful historical homes in Houston into parking lots then?

Before those became vacant lots they were commercial areas. In the 50's-70's, South Main was one of Houston's biggest commercial strips, kind of like Westheimer today. Almost every city in America has areas where an early neighborhood of mansions transitioned into commercial, including New York and Chicago. Mansions are no longer the "highest and best use" of the land, the only people who could afford to live in them want to live further out, and something comes along that better justifies land value.

Hopefully soon that land will carry something other than parking lots though.

It seems to have been a trend for homes built in the late 1800's to be demolished in the 1920's. It may have been because the older homes were not equipped with more modern conveniences. Here's a cool link of some of the grand homes that used to be downtown. I wish more would have been saved or moved (some were). http://www.houstonhistory.com/poduct2/album3/jsalbum.html I'm always facinated by the architecture and grandness of homes like these.

It seems to have been a trend for homes built in the late 1800's to be demolished in the 1920's. It may have been because the older homes were not equipped with more modern conveniences. Here's a cool link of some of the grand homes that used to be downtown. I wish more would have been saved or moved (some were). http://www.houstonhistory.com/poduct2/album3/jsalbum.html I'm always facinated by the architecture and grandness of homes like these.

Probably the main reason that neighborhoods changed so much during that period was that automobiles became very common. With the increase in mobility more areas became available for development (eg River Oaks in Houston). "The Magnificent Ambersons" is an excellent novel about an old wealthy family going through this period. The neighborhood their mansion is on becomes a commercial strip.

• 4 weeks later...
6 Houston Center does not appear as a listing here: http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?cityID=2...mp;statusID=1,2

Didn't they have a ribbon cutting or something a few weeks back. Who enters that information on that site?

That building doesn't exist. It ain't going up. It's just a hole for underground parking. Nothing to see here...move along.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I have been driving by late at night and there doesn't to be any cars (or heavy equipment) in the lot yet.

Oh, I thought that maybe you had some inside info as to why it might not happen. All I have heard is that it is happening for sure. They have been delayed, but all indications are that it is still going up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
any updates on this?? :huh:

the crescent website hasnt changed its 6 houston center page

but i found the listing on emporis and on skyscaperpage

Skyscraperpage says its still proposed....

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=70033

Emporis has the building as approved, and I would believe that before Skyscraperpage. Plus, its still up on Crescent's website. I wouldn't worry too much. If we don't hear anything by the end of the summer, then there could be problems.