Six Houston Center At 800 Caroline St.

UrbaNerd

I didn't really like the design until I saw this rendering. It actually looks kind of nice here, especially the fact that the roof isn't totally flat. Why is it that 90% of the buildings in Houston have flat roofs?

This new rendering sort of reminds me of that venus flytrap looking building in Midtown Atlanta..

pg1.jpg

Edited by Jax

I could be wrong too...

I just read 29 stories here: http://www.6houstoncenter.com/6hc/brochure/pg2.asp

And in the rendering I posted, it kind of looks like there's a 10 story garage, then a building twice that height.

I can't wait until downtown Houston has just as many cranes sticking out of the skyline as Atlanta does!

Edited by Jax

I didn't really like the design until I saw this rendering. It actually looks kind of nice here, especially the fact that the roof isn't totally flat. Why is it that 90% of the buildings in Houston have flat roofs?

This new rendering sort of reminds me of that venus flytrap looking building in Midtown Atlanta..

pg1.jpg

I really like it... particularly b/c of the modified top... glad it's not just a box.

Stop talking about this beautiful building. I have to keep telling myself that this has always been a surface parking lot. Surely a rational society wouldn't tear down such a magnificent structure to make room for cars? Right? Right???

All the parking lots around the historic part of DT and the drive-in banks, what use to be their? Were they all old two-three story building that were torn down? What about all the lots around MMP? What about along Main towards Midtown?If so when did all these place get torn down and why? I really would appreciate some info about this. Thank you.....

It is sad what was torn down for that parking lot. It could have been awesome apartments. Someone one time told me that the old Rice hotel was almost torn down at one time. Look what that turned into, one of the best blocks DT!

All the parking lots around the historic part of DT and the drive-in banks, what use to be their? Were they all old two-three story building that were torn down? What about all the lots around MMP? What about along Main towards Midtown?If so when did all these place get torn down and why? I really would appreciate some info about this. Thank you.....

It is sad what was torn down for that parking lot. It could have been awesome apartments. Someone one time told me that the old Rice hotel was almost torn down at one time. Look what that turned into, one of the best blocks DT!

In the historic district, pretty much every parking lot or garage you see used to be a 2-3 story (or in some cases 5-10 story) old building. The worst tear downs have been around Market Square and along lower Main St. There is a parking lot at Main and Prairie that until 1993 was the site of Houston's oldest commercial building, the original Foley Bros. Dry Goods store (predecessor of Foley's department store). It was structurally sound when it was destroyed. There is a parking garage on I think the 200 block of Main that used to be a classical bank building.

Market Square had buildings along its west and south sides similar to those on its north and east sides that were torn down in the 80's for a parking lot and a chinese restaurant and garage.

On the 1000 block of Main was the Lamar Hotel, Houston's second most important hotel after the Rice and the home of two of Houston's three movie palaces. It was demolished in the mid-80's for parking (though it had been badly renovated some time before), and a few years ago 1000 Main was built there. Across the street was a banking hall designed for First City bank by the firm of Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill, a masterpiece of modernism that accompanied the skyscraper next door. It was demolished in 1998 for parking for the skyscraper.

As you get away from Main, most of downtown was made up of run-of-the-mill, service type buildings: warehouses and garages and what not. Most of these were torn down in the 70's and 80's to save on taxes and capitalize on parking needs. Further back there were Victorian residential neighborhoods on the east, west, and south sides of downtown, and in midtown. The only thing left of them are a couple of houses on Avenida de las Americas and a few old houses in midtown (one is an architectural antiques store).

You can find pictures of what a lot of it used to look like here:

http://www.sloanegallery.com/newpage40.htm

The movie Brewster McCloud shows a brief, tantalizing glimpse of what the historic district looked like when all these old buildings were decaying and waiting to be knocked down.

In the historic district, pretty much every parking lot or garage you see used to be a 2-3 story (or in some cases 5-10 story) old building.

Thankyou very much for the information.

Please Houston, don't tear down what we have left....

In the historic district, pretty much every parking lot or garage you see used to be a 2-3 story (or in some cases 5-10 story) old building. The worst tear downs have been around Market Square and along lower Main St. There is a parking lot at Main and Prairie that until 1993 was the site of Houston's oldest commercial building, the original Foley Bros. Dry Goods store (predecessor of Foley's department store). It was structurally sound when it was destroyed. There is a parking garage on I think the 200 block of Main that used to be a classical bank building.

Just to play devil's advocate... don't you kind of have to wonder whether buildings like the Rice Hotel would have been renovated had it been surrounded by abandoned, decrepit old buildings? Sure, surface lots don't make the best neighbors either, but there's no question about what might be lurking inside (misconceived though that impression might be). Certainly Houston's architectural history includes many tragic losses... but it's complicated!

Anyone find it interesting that despite having an elaborate ground breaking ceremony, there isn't a lick of work going on at their site?

No, not really.

There wasn't even a groundbreaking if you want to be technical. Just a large public announcement almost a week ago.

If it's three months out and the lot is still the same... I might be concerned.

I saw some guys in hardhats on the lot earlier this afternoon looking over some plans, somewhat similar to the leadup to the activity on the lot of Discovery Tower.

Also, according to the Houston Business Journal this week, the projected begining of construction should be less than 45 days from now.

• Like 1