Sign in to follow this  
UrbaNerd

Six Houston Center

Well, I'm the long-time lurker who works with KingOwl. In any case, I asked our receptionist about this project today. She was recently at a meeting that went through some of the upcoming downtown projects...she remembers that there will actually be two structures on nearby lots: 1. an 11 story parking garage and 2. 6 Houston Center. I think that's news to all of us (seemed like only one structure was coming our way) so we'll have to wait and see what actually happens on that lot.

I doubt they'd add that fence for fun...something's definitely up.

Welcome. :) And thanks for the info. :)

Do you happen to know when that meeting was?

This past Tuesday, so info. should be current. Turns out the focus was on parking options for the Houston Center. This garage will be open in 2010.

LTAWACS, thanks for the welcome!

Ok, so it seems that this lot is now open for parking, so I parked on it today. I asked the attendant what they're going to build, and he said that it would be a parking garage and apartments. Huh? He may have been clueless, though, since he was a parking attendant and probably wasn't as well versed as those of us who browse this forum with any regularity.

Groundbreaking March 6th.

One building (10 stories of parking, 19 of office) will take the whole block. Skybridge to 1 Houston Center.

Awsome!

I wish they'd build it taller than 19 stories!

According to other posters, it is 29.

10 parking + 19 office

FYI, I talked to the money taker on the parking lot where 6HC will be built, and they said that tomorrow is the last day to park there. Sounds like construction is right around the corner...

Edited by King Owl

FYI, I talked to the money taker on the parking lot where 6HC will be built, and they said that tomorrow is the last day to park there. Sounds like construction is right around the corner...

Awsome. :)

The groundbreaking will be at 4PM this Thursday, according to the press person at Crescent.

They're already putting together the covered tent/event space on the lot.

Ok, that explains the stage looking thing that's on the site right now. I was wondering how that stage thing was going to fit into the construction plans. I can see the site from my office, so I look forward to watching the progress. Actually from where I'm at in One Houston Center, I have a birds-eye view of the construction at One Park Place, MainPlace and 6 Houston Center (and soon to be the LaQuinta, Embassy Suites and the parking garage of Discovery Tower...can't see Discovery Tower due to the Fulbright tower being in the way)! Quite entertaining.

Is there anything special with 6 Houston Center? I've heard 10 floors parking, 19 floors office, and that they're going for some kind of LEED certification, but I haven't really heard any distinguishing features of the building (like Discovery Tower's windmills or MainPlace's terrace). Is it just going to be a boring box? Why would any tenant choose the box over the more interesting MainPlace or Discovery Tower?

Is there anything special with 6 Houston Center? I've heard 10 floors parking, 19 floors office, and that they're going for some kind of LEED certification, but I haven't really heard any distinguishing features of the building

I don't think there are any. It might be the least ambitious skyscraper ever built downtown.

6 Houston Center's soiree/preview was this afternoon and here are a few shots I took.

DSC02749.jpg

DSC02750.jpg

DSC02751.jpg

Debbie Wilson, VP of Leasing in Houston Center who announced the building's amenities.

DSC02754.jpg

To open on...

DSC02755.jpg

The website for the property also went active today and is still being fleshed out. www.6houstoncenter.com

Renderings from the site

pg1.jpg

hppics.jpg

Thanks for the photos.

But eh, it is what it is. Looks too much like the one next to Discovery. Is that 5Houston Center?

And how does it go to glowing to pitch black at night? haha

I like Discovery Tower better but these renderings are hard to decifer. My first thought is that it reminds me of the new T Boone Pickens Academic Tower that just went up at MD Anderson. That's prolly due to the light box at top.

I am completely shocked no one has posted this photo yet... it contains several proposed projects we didn't know about in downtown including more residential spots and a better idea of where the convention hotel will be.

(It's on the 6houstoncenter.com website)

pg57hl3.jpg

Any guesses on height. I'm no expert but judging by the number of floors and that "crown", is 450' a close-enough rough guesstimate?

Also, I guess this can now go into our Google-Earth HAIF edition, right? I think the tower is along Caroline.

Edited by GovernorAggie

I am completely shocked no one has posted this photo yet... it contains several proposed projects we didn't know about in downtown including more residential spots and a better idea of where the convention hotel will be.

(It's on the 6houstoncenter.com website)

pg57hl3.jpg

My browser isn't showing me the picture. Is it the one in the brochure labeled as 'area amenities' and it's a map? I see a proposed residential between Fannin and San Jacinto, a hotel between La Branch and Crawford and the proposed convention hotel we already knew about.

Is that the one? If not, could you paste the link?

edit: there are already buildings where the proposed residential is listed= http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=U...mp;t=h&z=19

Edited by lockmat

Yeah, all those "amenities" are pretty much already in place and I don't see much in surprises except that the Old Texaco building is still in the running for a condo conversion.

I like the design! I guess I'm a sucker for crown lighting, and I also like the way it has the curved pieces at the top. I think this will be a nice addition to the area. I look forward to watching it go up from my perch in One Houston Center

We didn't know about the proposed residential tower/building, did we?

Yes, we knew about the convention hotel... I just thought we didn't know its exact location.

No, I'm pretty sure we knew about it's exact location. The Hotel-convention that is. But there's another hotel on there that I don't think we knew about.

No, I'm pretty sure we knew about it's exact location. The Hotel-convention that is. But there's another hotel on there that I don't think we knew about.

That's the La Quinta that's been discussed, I believe

Nope. everything looks like its in place. We discussed every thing on here, minus the Texaco Building, and we all talked about that wondering what work was being done or whatever.

We Discussed the La Quinta, but the Embassy Suite isn't mentioned on this map (or DT and MS for that matter, DUH!).

Thanks for the photos.

But eh, it is what it is. Looks too much like the one next to Discovery. Is that 5Houston Center?

And how does it go to glowing to pitch black at night? haha

It's in uh... Stealth Mode. It does that to save energy from the electromagnetic waves it absorbs. Pretty high tech stuff really.

Looks like the love child of 5 Houston Center and Symphony Tower in Atlanta.

So then, if we knew about this proposed residential tower, what is it?

The rehab of the Texas Company Building(s).

Oh... I finally got what you guys were saying.

Interesting choice of stock photography for their video.

Can anyone explain where in Houston Center this image was taken? :)

post-1353-1205040462_thumb.jpg

I didn't really like the design until I saw this rendering. It actually looks kind of nice here, especially the fact that the roof isn't totally flat. Why is it that 90% of the buildings in Houston have flat roofs?

This new rendering sort of reminds me of that venus flytrap looking building in Midtown Atlanta..

pg1.jpg

Edited by Jax

Please, nice building, but come on, it's a mid-rise. NEXT! It will be practically invisible next to all the others.

I could be wrong too...

I just read 29 stories here: http://www.6houstoncenter.com/6hc/brochure/pg2.asp

And in the rendering I posted, it kind of looks like there's a 10 story garage, then a building twice that height.

I can't wait until downtown Houston has just as many cranes sticking out of the skyline as Atlanta does!

Edited by Jax

Interesting choice of stock photography for their video.

Can anyone explain where in Houston Center this image was taken? :)

post-1353-1205040462_thumb.jpg

Looks like this is in Constitution Plaza in Mexico City or one in Milan.

I didn't really like the design until I saw this rendering. It actually looks kind of nice here, especially the fact that the roof isn't totally flat. Why is it that 90% of the buildings in Houston have flat roofs?

This new rendering sort of reminds me of that venus flytrap looking building in Midtown Atlanta..

pg1.jpg

I really like it... particularly b/c of the modified top... glad it's not just a box.

I think I like what used to be on that block better:

post-12-1205176505_thumb.jpg

That use to be on that block??... and they tore it down why??