UrbaNerd

Six Houston Center

Posted (edited)

I like this new design much more than the older one. Has a more classic feel, and kinda feels like a natural evolution or contemporary update of its sister towers in the original Houston Center. The previous design was just too trendy and not in a good way. That era in Houston for skyscrapers from 2000-2010 was very big into, what I would call "the bite" or a portion of the building that looked like someone bit into it and then replaced that section with a weird loggia or wrap around porch. Its just an awkward look on a building that high. This updated version will age a lot better than the previous design.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

Realistically, what are the chances of this happening?

Anyways, I also really like the design. It is more classic, sort of like the current crop of new towers going up in Chicago.

• Like 2

One trend I'm happy to see growing is the use of landscaping on elevated portions of the building, whether it be on the roof of a mid rise building or on the walls of a taller one.  I lived in Singapore for a couple of years and "green" buildings were everywhere.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, zaphod said:

Realistically, what are the chances of this happening?

Anyways, I also really like the design. It is more classic, sort of like the current crop of new towers going up in Chicago.

The design was done in the last year or so and looks more serious than the concept renderings we sometimes see. It shows the landowner (I think Crescent Real Estate) is looking seriously at building here and may be looking for an anchor tenant to sign. Whether they can find one may depend on oil prices, right now lukewarm at $63/bbl but getting warmer with the Iran conflict and progress towards a China trade deal.

• Like 2

I’d think Block 43 would get built before this site based on its more desirable location. Not sure if the current developer has the wherewithal to see it through, however.

• Like 1

They do have the podium all ready to build upon.

On 1/8/2020 at 7:38 PM, houstontexasjack said:

I’d think Block 43 would get built before this site based on its more desirable location. Not sure if the current developer has the wherewithal to see it through, however.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobruss said:

They do have the podium all ready to build upon.

Didn’t think the foundation had been poured to the north. Just the garage on Block 43.

Sorry, I thought this might be like the Hines Texas Tower, where the garage is underneath the tower.

My bad. From the renderings I saw on the Market Square thread it looked like the building would be partially built over the garage. I just hadn't paid enough attention when I was

down there to notice that only half of the block was covered by the garage. I was just agreeing with you about the potential for 43 to be next.

• Like 2