Houston Gamblers Football League

Reefmonkey

Anyone else remember the Houston Gamblers, a United States Football League team that existed for about two seasons in the mid-80s? I guess Spring/Summer football wasn't a sell in America, but I do remember the Gamblers doing well in those two brief seasons.

I have actually gotten totally sloshed with Jim Kelly, Boomer Esiason, Bernie Kosar, and a couple of other QBs back in 1993, when I was running security for a VERY popular bar on Richmond. They were in town for Warren Moon's Crescent Moon foundation dinner, and they all were out together and asked me to come with them in their limo to go barhopping, I was designated, by them, to show them where to go. We went to about 6 bars that night, and just got demolished. They didn't pay for drinks ANYWHERE we went.

I have actually gotten totally sloshed with Jim Kelley, Boomer Esiason, Bernie Kosar, and a couple of other QBs back in 1993, when I was running security for a VERY popular bar on Richmond. They were in town for Warren Moon's Crescent Moon foundation dinner, and they all were out together and asked me to come with them in their limo to go barhopping, I was designated, by them, to show them where to go. We went to about 6 bars that night, and just got demolished. They didn't pay for drinks ANYWHERE we went.

No that's a cooll story. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I went to some Gamblers games. They ran the Run N Shoot. I remember seeing them play the Pittsburgh Maulers who featured Mike Rozier. They had a promotional wherein they would drop two giant foam dice from the roof of the Astrodome. If the dice came up 7 or 11, the crowd got something free. Well, one night it hit 7 but my brother and I never got the freebee.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Gamblers Football League

Archived