Chevron Houston Marathon 2008

Boris

Never been to a marathon so I decided to check this one out. It started at 7:00 a.m. this morning. I got to the DT just before 6:00 a.m. and had time to walk about before the sun came out:

IMG_7637.jpg

IMG_7639.jpg

IMG_7644.jpg

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7652.jpg

IMG_7656.jpg

IMG_7657.jpg

IMG_7659.jpg

IMG_7660.jpg

IMG_7662.jpg

IMG_7664.jpg

IMG_7666.jpg

IMG_7671.jpg

IMG_7672.jpg

IMG_7675.jpg

IMG_7677.jpg

IMG_7686.jpg

Saw Mayor White with some dignitaries:

IMG_7691.jpg

IMG_7693.jpg

IMG_7874.jpg

IMG_7877.jpg

IMG_7883.jpg

IMG_7884.jpg

The Fingers Building:

IMG_7887.jpg

IMG_7890.jpg

As I'm not originally from Houston, and don't know the DT area too good, I got lost. Actually, the pathway out and west was blocked because of the marathon. I found myself in the neighborhoods just west of DT and came across this little area:

IMG_7891.jpg

IMG_7898.jpg

IMG_7899.jpg

IMG_7901.jpg

Finally made it to I-59 South:

IMG_7904.jpg

Came up upon the runners at the intersection of I-59 and 610 Loop heading north:

IMG_7908.jpg

On I-10 west drove by the new medical office building at Memorial City:

IMG_7914.jpg

IMG_7919.jpg

And finally made it to my exit, with the new BP and other office buildings going up off in the distance of the Energy Corridor.

IMG_7922.jpg

Adios

Yesterday was my first time to go. I thought it was pretty awesome. I set up shop at the 5 mile marker in the Heights. The energy was great. Did anyone here run in it?

Also, there is some pretty impressive information about the race...

"The fastest runners will compete for a prize purse that tops $230,000."

"For the first time ever, the Chevron Houston Marathon and Aramco Houston Half Marathon will feature a wave start this year."

"The Chevron Houston Marathon offers the only closed marathon course in Texas and is ranked among the top five in the nation by the Ultimate Guide to Marathons for fastest course, organization and crowd support." - How can you run a marathon w/o closing the course?

And also...did they hault the light rail while the race was going on?

And also...did they hault the light rail while the race was going on?

They were doing construction on the light rail so it was closed from 5 am until 2 pm between Wheeler and Downtown. It really was a bad day to schedule construction. :(

When I arrived at wheeler with a full train load at about 6 am, everybody was really pissed off that they had to get in a bus. And while the metro train was comfortably full with room for most people to sit, the bus was as packed as I've ever seen a bus before. I feel bad for the runners visiting Houston and staying at ZaZa or Reliant area, or those who wanted to explore the museums later in the day.

Things went well overall, except for the runners' times. I don't understand...

The day's only disappointment resulted from the dismal effort put forth by the two men's marathon "rabbits," who were supposed to push the pace sufficiently to erase Richard Kaitany's 19-year-old Houston record of 2:10:04.

"They assured us they'd perform, and we counted on them to perform," Karpas said of Mesfin Hailu of Ethiopia and Pukstas Mindaugas of Lithuania. "At the end of the day, they did not perform. We're not at all happy about it."

Could you imagine the NFL commissioner telling the media how upset he was b/c the Super Bowl wasn't that entertaining?

The purse this year was $232,000, the same as in 2007.

Is this just for first place or the prize money in total for all runners?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5454277.html

They were doing construction on the light rail so it was closed from 5 am until 2 pm between Wheeler and Downtown. It really was a bad day to schedule construction. :(

When I arrived at wheeler with a full train load at about 6 am, everybody was really pissed off that they had to get in a bus. And while the metro train was comfortably full with room for most people to sit, the bus was as packed as I've ever seen a bus before. I feel bad for the runners visiting Houston and staying at ZaZa or Reliant area, or those who wanted to explore the museums later in the day.

I can tell you that the marathon folks work closely with Metro to help ensure a smooth race day. Metro is well aware of the course and the race schedule. Perhaps doing rail construction at that time had the least effect, compared to the day before (when people had to pick up their race packet) or during the week.

Thanks for the photos. Great job and awesome angles. I also like how you highlighted some historical buildings DT. i am in LA these days, and from other photos of DT, i thought they were demolishing everything over 30 years old to make way for all the new developments. :lol: Also, i liked the pix. from I-10. My sister lives out that way, but when i was in Houston briefly for New Years i always seemed to approach Copperfield by way of 290 and didn't get to see all the Energy Corridor cranes! Keep em coming!

m. B)

Thx for all the comments guys. That's why I post them, for all the positive strokes. :lol:

Great Pics! The early morning before sunrise and just at sunrise pics look so.. "organic" and soft.. very nice!

Me and the wife ran the 1/2 marathon for the 2nd time.. did the full marathon last year and swore I would never do it again.. the energy was fantastic.. although a little cold before the sun came up.. (around 45F?) with shorts and a lycra shirt..

• 8 months later...
Do marathon runners really relieve themselves while running?

like.. during running in their pants? or along the course? There are porta-cans every-so-often.. and there's a line of trees along Houston which get a good watering.. but I don't think i've seen anyone ever wet themselves.. :P

• The title was changed to Chevron Houston Marathon 2008

Archived