Spot The Editor Contest

editor

Mac it's way past the iPod, it's completely revolving around respect for your fellow HAIF members. Whether he or she has 1 post or 1,000 posts, when you agree to the TOS, answer the confirmation email, you become a member until Wayne says otherwise. I don't think even the Mods can dictate who is and who isn't a member, I am pretty sure that is an executive decision, and Wayne is the only executive here. Moderators are basically the police, Wayne is the Judge, Jury and Executioner, if it comes to that. The rest of us are drones, the worker bees so to speak.

Now he's called me an ass, so now it's gotten personal. Has nothing to do with the iPod. I could care less if Wayne gave away one or a hundred. That's his business.

All this from the guy that started making it personal by saying another member was full of crap two separate times.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't using newbie as a derogatory term... He had 3 posts to his name. I figured newbie was a harmless way to indicate this.

Not in the same room ? That makes no sense when the posts are totals from across the forum.

If he's a master architect.. thats great... however that has no bearing on his newness level to participating in this forum

Since when is newbie name calling. Is that really that offensive to some of you? How then would you refer to people that are new here... New Guy? Guy with 3 posts? what ?

It wasn't so much taking offense as it was he apparently didnt consider himself new since he's been a lurker for 6 months and he didnt think i should consider him new either..

All the rest of you were Welcoming him to the board... usually what we do to new people.... he never questioned you on that though.

Try referring to him or her as Torst. That's the common thing to do. And I personally Have not referred to you as anything other than "Highway 6" since that's the pen name you have chosen, and I don't know your real name. My nature is to give respect when respect is due. And I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. But you sir are using up your nine lives. Everyone has a bad day, and I understand that. I have them too. But when I am wrong I am man enough to own up to it and apologize. You did apologize to Torst but we are way past that.

But you sir are using up your nine lives. ... But when I am wrong I am man enough to own up to it and apologize. You did apologize to Torst but we are way past that.

Hey drone... your words, not mine... After your whole speech on how editor is the man, the one in charge, the judge, jury, executioner... kind of ironic you still think you have the right to judge me. Obviously your speech was a bunch of hooey that you don't truly believe.

I owe you nothing... post 73.. you started the disrespect and you have not been man enough to admit starting the war of words between you and myself.

I feel bad for Editor. All this for trying to do something nice by giving away an Ipod.

I have a sinking feeling that there will be no more contests.

Hwy6. I think it is cruddy that some woman, who had NO CLUE whatsoever that this forum even existed. I am sure that after she had the iPod in her hot little hands she decided to see what this website was, since it was engraved on the iPod. I have been mulling over this and have come to the conclusion that POSH, is indeed the winner. The rules clearly state that whoever approached the editor and either said the "phrase that pays", or simply walked up and said, "Hey, I heard you are giving away a Nano." was the one who would get the goodies. Torst, using very cunning tactics, thought he was gonna win the Nano, as the contest never said that it was open to Haif memebers only, but is no doubt implied by all of us here, because those who have a connection here, no matter how long or how many posts, if you knew there was a contest going on, then one of us should be the winner, NOT to one of us who has over 200 posts. That is not how the contest rules apply, Torst made a mistake by getting Posh into the game by giving her the clue to win. I think Posh would have a case in court as to being the rightful owner, as SHE is the one who found Mr. Lorentz. I do not feel that Mr. Lorentz has anymore liability as to who won the contest, and should not be dragged into this any longer.

In the future, perhaps rules should be laid out as to being able to win the prize. I.E. , proving identification of a KNOWN user of Haif, before handing over the prize, if that is how we want to do things. ANY "guest" could have just as well seen the contest and gotten the prize. This is an open forum to both GUESTS, Subscribers, or Members, so quit bitchin' about who is entitled and who isn't.

gallery_1279_48_19490.jpg

I have a sinking feeling that there will be no more contests.

Hwy6. ... I have been mulling over this and have come to the conclusion that POSH, is indeed the winner. The rules clearly state that whoever approached the editor and either said the "phrase that pays", or simply walked up and said, "Hey, I heard you are giving away a Nano." was the one who would get the goodies. Torst, using very cunning tactics, thought he was gonna win the Nano, as the contest never said that it was open to Haif memebers only, but is no doubt implied by all of us here, because those who have a connection here, no matter how long or how many posts, if you knew there was a contest going on, then one of us should be the winner, NOT to one of us who has over 200 posts. blah blah blah blah

This is an open forum to both GUESTS, Subscribers, or Members, so quit bitchin' about who is entitled and who isn't.

You obviously have not been paying attention.

I refer you to post 84.. which was me referring back to my post 67.

Again.. I was not questioning the legitimacy of anyones win.

I was lamenting that the legitimate winner was an unknown prior to winning.

Also, since you're so far the only one supporting the concierge... I imagine if Torst does not get the Ipod, everyone else here will be lamenting that outcome... so be prepared to use your 'quit bitching' line on everyone else.

Hey drone... your words, not mine... After your whole speech on how editor is the man, the one in charge, the judge, jury, executioner... kind of ironic you still think you have the right to judge me. Obviously your speech was a bunch of hooey that you don't truly believe.

I owe you nothing... post 73.. you started the disrespect and you have not been man enough to admit starting the war of words between you and myself.

Where on earth did I judge you? Please enlighten me. Now if I were to have jumped in here like several people I can name, and said you should be banned for your actions, that would be judging you. You obviously don't get it. I simply stated my opinion that your name calling and profiling of Torst based on his low post count was a load of crap. I never said you owe me a damn thing either. I merely said that everyone has a bad day, present company included and if I say something wrong I am man enough to admit it and apologize. Then went on further to say that you did apologize to Torst. Never once did I say you owe me a damn thing. You're pretty free with the name calling, you want to address me as drone, your schoolyard banter really is not going to punch my buttons, but you can feel free to keep trying. Name-calling is a disappointing substitute for real criticism, and normally not very effective when it comes to expressing oneself. You can think whatever you want about me Highway 6, I certainly care less.

No, Puma was right on in this part.

He was referring to Torst, the person that legitimately won the ipod, not the concierge, and who is also a newbie with a whole 3 posts to his name.

And i too think its a shame that someone who had never posted on here before won the damn thing.

THough...i also hope it at least ends up with the newbie and not the concierge at this point.

Puma was wrong about the rules however... in post 36, editor stated since nobody claimed it at the site, the contest was extending for 45 minutes at the hotel.

You're right, my bad.

Sorry Puma.

OK, enough pissing and moaning at each other. This is about me and the contest.

Here's the latest...

Torst contacted me in a couple of e-mails. I don't really know what to believe. I don't know if the concierge took the iPod or if torst is trying to scam me, or if they're working together to get a second iPod out of HAIF. Well, THAT's not going to happen.

Here's a timeline of what happened that Sunday, as recorded by the HAIF server logs and my memory.

• 2:25:53pm - First contact from Hilton employee computer. Came in from a Google search for the phrase "haif houston"
  • 2:26:34pm - Hilton employee computer checks the blogs.
  • 2:42:50pm - Hilton employee computer checks the photo gallery.
  • 2:43:35pm - Hilton employee computer returns after a Google search of "haif free ipod nano january "
  • 2:45:13pm - Hilton employee computer returns after a Google search of "haif free ipod nano january"
  • 2:48:45pm - Hilton employee computer looks at the photo gallery.
  • 2:49:09pm - Hilton employee computer looks at blog entry #12 about embedding video into HAIF threads.
  • 2:49:43pm - Hilton employee computer looks at Editor's photo gallery.
  • 3:03:27pm - Hilton employee computer returns after a Google search of "haif free ipod nano january"
  • 3:03:30pm - Hilton employee computer looks at photo of the iPod nano we gave away in December.
  • 3:03:36pm - Hilton employee computer looks at another photo of the iPod nano we gave away in December.
  • 3:04:12pm - Hilton employee computer looks both photos of the iPod nano we gave away in December.
  • 3:05pm - Editor posts that there is no winner in the HAIF nano contest, but also "One last chance: I'm sitting in the lobby of the Hilton-Americas. I'll be here for the next 45 minutes. I'm the big bald dude with the silver Powerbook. The first person to ask for the nano gets it. You have 45 minutes.... GO!"
  • 3:09:03 - Hilton employee computer looks at the "Spot the Editor Contest" thread on HAIF.
  • 3:10:33 - Hilton employee computer fills out the new user registration form. Picks the name posh2184. Uses the e-mail address posh2184@yahoo.com.
  • 3:12:20 - Hilton employee computer goes to the blogs.
  • 3:12:38 - Hilton employee computer returns after a Google search for "haif spot the editor." Views the Spot the Editor Contest thread.
  • 3:15pm (approx.) - Concierge Danielle approaches Editor in the lobby cafe of the hotel. Says that an anonymous caller told her to ask me for an iPod. I explain the contest to her and I go to my room to get the iPod.
  • 3:18:00 - Hilton employee computer tries to post a message. It's rejected because the person is not a validated user.
  • 3:18:56 - Hilton employee computer tries to post a message. It's rejected because the person is not a validated user.
  • 3:19:06 - Hilton employee computer goes to the help files.
  • 3:20:34 - Hilton employee computer returns to the Spot the Editor Contest thread.
  • 3:20pm (approx.) - Editor returns to the concierge desk and hands the iPod to Danielle, then goes to the lobby cafe.
  • 3:31pm - Editor writes on HAIF that someone has claimed the iPod and it's been turned over to the concierge for collection.
  • 3:43:37 - User posh2184 is validated through a Yahoo mail message on a Hilton employee computer.
  • 3:46:57 - User posh2184 posts the message "Where there's a will there's a way" in the Spot the Editor thread from a Hilton employee computer.

It's important to note that HAIF can tell the difference between a Hilton company computer and a Hilton guest's computer.

Hilton guest computers look like this to HAIF:

AT&T WorldNet Services ATT (NET-12-0-0-0-1)
12.0.0.0 - 12.255.255.255
HILTON HOTEL CORPORATION HILTON-H92-223 (NET-12-41-223-0-1)
12.41.223.0 - 12.41.223.255

Hilton company computers look like this:

OrgName:	Hilton Hospitality, Inc.
OrgID: HILTO
Address: 755 Crossover Lane
City: Memphis
StateProv: TN
PostalCode: 38117
NetRange: 192.251.125.0 - 192.251.125.255
CIDR: 192.251.125.0/24
NetName: HILTON
NetHandle: NET-192-251-125-0-1
Parent: NET-192-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Assignment
NameServer: NS1.CHRL.TWTELECOM.NET
NameServer: NS1.NYCL.TWTELECOM.NET
Comment:
RegDate: 1992-11-27
Updated: 2003-12-09
OrgTechHandle: DTC7-ARIN
OrgTechName: Domain Technical Contact
OrgTechPhone: +1-901-374-5000
OrgTechEmail: domain_tech@hilton.com

I was surfing HAIF at the time this happened, so that's how I know that guest computers look different than Hilton company computers.

At Torst's request, I'm going to call hotel security now and see where that gets me.

I feel like an insider now, like I'm peeking into govt. files. :)

It seems too coincidental for the Hilton Employee to have found haif, seen the announcment that anyone who asks you for it gets it and then for them to 'steal' it.

I'd like to see torst's log.

Seems as if posh was a lurker that had never signed up before.

I doubt it. Otherwise posh wouldn't have had to google to find HAIF.

But there's a handful of blogs/websites that I regularly get to from work by searching for on google. Just throwin out a possibility.

I'd like to know if torst told the Hilton employee that it was for "haif." How else would they know unless he told them? Somehow I doubt he would have mentioned it, much less how to spell it unless told. If I were torst, I would have probably told the concierge the bare minimum. Say, "there's a guy there that has an ipod he's giving away. Can you please just go and ask him for it for me." ...and never would have mentioned HAIF had anything to do w/ it.

Torst wouldnt have called the concierge to pick it up before your 3:05 contest extension announcement.

So why is there a half hour of Hilton employee interest in Haif before that time?

If I understand you right, that's not true. Torst wouldn't have known he was in the lobby. Plus, the deal was to say the phrase at the demolition. Right?

I think there may be a time zone issue in there. Posh posted at 4:46 CDT, but Editor's log shows it at 3:46. It could be that the time logs for the Hilton employee computer access are one hour early, in which case the Hilton employee computer didn't access HAIF until 20 minutes after Editor posted his comment about being in the lobby. That may have been when Torst called the hotel.

If I understand you right, that's not true. Torst wouldn't have known he was in the lobby. Plus, the deal was to say the phrase at the demolition. Right?

Up until 3:05, no haifer except for a few mods maybe, would have known what hotel the editor was staying at.

If Posh didn't get the order from Torst to go claim the ipod till at least 3:05... then it's a funny coincidence that some other Hilton employee was browsing the Haif contest or it's a huge friggan conspiracy.

EDIT... perhaps a good call on the time zone issue, meme .. though mine says 3:46 too.

I think there may be a time zone issue in there. Posh posted at 4:46 CDT, but Editor's log shows it at 3:46. It could be that the time logs for the Hilton employee computer access are one hour early, in which case the Hilton employee computer didn't access HAIF until 20 minutes after Editor posted his comment about being in the lobby. That may have been when Torst called the hotel.

mine says posh posted at 3:46.

Up until 3:05, no haifer except for a few mods maybe, would have known what hotel the editor was staying at.

If Posh didn't get the order from Torst to go claim the ipod till at least 3:05... then it's a funny coincidence that some other Hilton employee was browsing the Haif contest or it's a huge friggan conspiracy.

Yeah, honestly I'm just confused. I think I'll sit back and watch it play out.

what if Posh had the ability to track or watch was someone was doing online at the hotel and made a routine of doing this. She stumbled onto a giveaway contest being discussed on editors computer and then became interested. Plausible? Ridiculous?

Apparentley there are sasquatchs on mars now so?

Weird. For some reason one of my computers shows post times 1 hour later than they are, although both are using the (correct) time zone settings.

Ok, I really don't think I'm going crazy, but I just double checked and it says 4:46 now.

My computer says you just posted at 3:21, an hour ahead.

Ok, I really don't think I'm going crazy, but I just double checked and it says 4:46 now.

My computer says you just posted at 3:21, an hour ahead.

Yeah, mine just switched back so that both of my computers are showing the same time. I'm going to stop thinking about time now.

No, wait, I'm going to stop ... now.

All of editors log item and recollection of events are correct relative to each other... so this probably isn't a time zone thing.

I don't know how you can know that. If the logs were shifted one hour from Editor's time he might have missed that.

Assuming the times in Editors timeline are correct, what prompted someone at the hotel to look at the HAIF 30 minutes before Editor changed the rules of the contest?

what prompted someone at the hotel to look at the HAIF 30 minutes before Editor changed the rules of the contest?

Exactly! Simple words I could not arrange myself. Seems like a huge coincidence, which aren't probable, but possible.

Archived