Spot The Editor Contest

editor

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See, this is why I hate to blow off a thread, even when I have no interest in it. For the last 4 days, I've ignored this thread, and all this drama was going on right under my nose. :lol:

What's your legal take on this? Is a call to a concierge to win a contest involving pockets and candy bars a verbal contract?

Actually, I'm the person who called the concierge. However, I did not end up with the ipod. The concierge explained to me what happened after the fact, but I'd like to hear it directly from the Editor himself, just to make sure there was no deception involved.

Another newbie? Sorry that happen to ya, but really, does it really take a free iPod for you to force you to sign up. Come on now.

HAIF is great, and having people sign up to post this rather than contribute is nonsense.

As far as I know there's nothing to explain. I handed it to the concierge and never saw it again. I sat around in the lobby for another 40 minutes or so waiting for my room to get cleaned (which didn't happen until 5pm! *ahem!*) and then went upstairs and did some work, ordered room service and went to sleep about 8:30.

If torst called the concierge, then as far as I know torst should have gotten the iPod. If posh ended up with it, I don't know how unless torst gave it to him.

Wow, I thought you'd hand it to the person directly, and at the site of the implosion, not at the hotel.

That is a mess.

Wasn't the rules supposed to be actually being outside at the demo site in order to win the iPod???

Ok, Wayne told his side, and I like to think that I KNOW Wayne would not deceive any forumers on a contest. He has sent me HAIF stuff that I didn't even know I was gonna get.

So, now what did the little deviant concierge tell you ?

Ditto on that, I too have won something on HAIF and Wayne (Editor) has come through for me as well.

As for iPods, this is the last time I'm going to give one away in a HAIF contest. Too much trouble. Next time it will be empty shoe boxes or something else with a lower temptation threshold.

I still think regular "pre-existing" members was the way to go.

But I support the site, and support your decision to not offer a contest like this again.

Sorry the contest went so badly. :(

Where there's a will there's a way ;) .

So Posh post one time, and we never hear from him/her again I guess.

That is flakey.

Again, the kind of HAIF members we don't need.

(A special note to the concierge: Make sure the person you give the ipod to is able to confirm details of the conversation we had. Yeah, it's a pretty obvious point, but if you ended up giving away the ipod to the wrong person and still got busted, it would be just too ironic.)

I hope you get it, since you are the rightful owner.

Please keep us updated.

HIAF drama is weird.

Which website is that, I know about HAIF, but not HIAF :P.

Another newbie? Sorry that happen to ya, but really, does it really take a free iPod for you to force you to sign up. Come on now.

HAIF is great, and having people sign up to post this rather than contribute is nonsense.

Wow, I thought you'd hand it to the person directly, and at the site of the implosion, not at the hotel.

That is a mess.

Wasn't the rules supposed to be actually being outside at the demo site in order to win the iPod???

Puma do you have to cook the mushrooms down fully and then let the stew condense down to a more concentrated state before you drink it, or do you just eat them raw, before you start hallucinating? Where did Wayne ever say anything about it having to be on the Demo site? He just stated that's why he would be in town and that's where you might easily catch him. He never really laid any rules out. He only said if someone gave him the correct verbiage, he would hand them a new iPod Nano. And that was done. When and Where was never stated. Since Mac was in Chi-town and would have walked up to him in O'Hare, I am sure he could have won it there. Remember Puff Puff Pass.......Not Puff Puff Puff ;)

Puma do you have to cook the mushrooms down fully and then let the stew condense down to a more concentrated state before you drink it, or do you just eat them raw, before you start hallucinating? Where did Wayne ever say anything about it having to be on the Demo site? He just stated that's why he would be in town and that's where you might easily catch him. He never really laid any rules out. He only said if someone gave him the correct verbiage, he would hand them a new iPod Nano. And that was done. When and Where was never stated. Since Mac was in Chi-town and would have walked up to him in O'Hare, I am sure he could have won it there. Remember Puff Puff Pass.......Not Puff Puff Puff ;)

LOL

Puma, read the full thread first... this wasn't a newbie, this was a clever concierge who saw an opportunity to steal something and (stupidly) came onto the forum to brag about her catch.

LOL

Puma, read the full thread first... this wasn't a newbie, this was a clever concierge who saw an opportunity to steal something and (stupidly) came onto the forum to brag about her catch.

No, Puma was right on in this part.

He was referring to Torst, the person that legitimately won the ipod, not the concierge, and who is also a newbie with a whole 3 posts to his name.

And i too think its a shame that someone who had never posted on here before won the damn thing.

THough...i also hope it at least ends up with the newbie and not the concierge at this point.

Puma was wrong about the rules however... in post 36, editor stated since nobody claimed it at the site, the contest was extending for 45 minutes at the hotel.

He was referring to Torst, the person that legitimately won the ipod, not the concierge, and who is also a newbie with a whole 3 posts to his name.

And i too think its a shame that someone who had never posted on here before won the damn thing.

THough...i also hope it at least ends up with the newbie and not the concierge at this point.

Puma was wrong about the rules however... in post 36, editor stated since nobody claimed it at the site, the contest was extending for 45 minutes at the hotel.

I've been here a bit longer than it might seem. Please take a look at my "Joined" date.

What's your legal take on this? Is a call to a concierge to win a contest involving pockets and candy bars a verbal contract?

Just so it's clear to people scanning this thread quickly: I didn't ask the concierge to say anything about pockets or chocolate bars to the Editor. By that time, he had posted that he just needed to be asked about it. Also, the concierge represented to both of us separately that she would deliver the ipod from the Editor to me.

I've been here a bit longer than it might seem. Please take a look at my "Joined" date.

Your "joined" date is irrelevant. You're only known to the haif community if and when you open your mouth.

We can't sense when people join and lurk. That doesn't make you part of the community.

Welcome and all.... but your first post was monday in this thread..... That is your "Join" date.

I think it's poop that you won it... but i think it's even more poop that someone even less deserving is now in possession of it.

So good luck getting it back, newbie !!

Your "joined" date is irrelevant. You're only known to the haif community if and when you open your mouth.

We can't sense when people join and lurk. That doesn't make you part of the community.

Welcome and all.... but your first post was monday in this thread..... That is your "Join" date.

I think it's poop that you won it... but i think it's even more poop that someone even less deserving is now in possession of it.

Is there really that much exclusivity here? Hello high school.

Torst, congrats on winning and good luck collecting.

I thought a forum is where people come together to exchange ideas.

If you sit on the sidelines, contribute nothing, and nobody else is aware you exist....... are you part of that forum ?

Really.. I may be in a grouchy mood here, and not the most welcoming fellow.... but to say im full of crap for arguing that "Joined date" is insignificant when compared to posts and activity...... thats ridiculous, dude.

Torst..

I do welcome you.

I hope you get your ipod from the sleezy concierge, i do.. and I hope you contribute to this forum on at least a semi-regular basis.

I'd be even more ticked if after you get your ipod from the concierge... we never heard from you again.. and your total presence here amounts to Give: 4 posts over a 7 month period and Take: one ipod

Barnes..

I maybe average 5 posts a week these days. The fact that I joined 2.5 years ago means nothing because i no longer actively participate, and consequently, as far as this "community" is concerned.. i would definitely consider myself as living out on the fringe. You have twice the posts as me in one less year... Does my start date override your much more active participation and dictate that I am more a member of this community... of course not.

Start date by itself is irrelevant.. so are posts... combine them together, you get activity... which leads to participation...which leads to value to a forum community. Therefore.. I have the right to be slightly miffed that the winner of one of the few contests we have here... has contributed nothing, and prior to winning a contest was of zero value to the community because he was nonexistent.

Perhaps arguing posts vs start date wasn't all that tactful when combined with a welcome post... i'll give you that ..and i apologize to you Torst.

But Welcome aside... I maintain that one's activity level is what makes one a member of this and any forum community.. and not your start date....... your "Full of Crap" line was uncalled for.

Trae...

I probably lurked a few months too..

But I certainly didn't use my months of lurking in a argument to justify being part of the community.

A forum is a public realm. People may come and go, listen or contribute, however they please.

Would you be happier if Editor just mailed a gift card or something to each person whose posts over the course of the previous 12 months exceeded some number? It'd surely be more efficient...but those weren't the rules. Give torst a break. If you're gonna delicate flower and whine, take it up with Editor. Spare us the drama.

Whatever niche, I started off telling him that i hope he get the ipod from the concierge.... and i'm not the one that started the bitching. Nor was I the only one questioning the prize going to this name that appeared out of nowhere.

Your chicken in every pot alternative is rubbish, extreme and of course thats not what i was getting at.

Independent of Torst.. independent on how much participation merits winning a prize...

I believe those that choose to lurk on the outside, not make their presence known, and not participate are also choosing to not be part of that community. So to come out and say "But i've been part of your community all along"... doesn't work with me.

I'm not bitter about him getting the prize... i was bitter at the "but i've been here all along" rationale

Just so it's clear to people scanning this thread quickly: I didn't ask the concierge to say anything about pockets or chocolate bars to the Editor. By that time, he had posted that he just needed to be asked about it. Also, the concierge represented to both of us separately that she would deliver the ipod from the Editor to me.

If you read a little closer it sounds like she used torst to get herself an iPod. And Wayne made the decision to give it up even without the punchline. Sounds like eligiblty to me. Perhaps you should tell Wayne how he spends his own money and distributes his own gifts to who you please instead of who he pleases.

Sounds dictatorial IMHO, and this is a dictatorship, yet your name is not Wayne Lorentz, so where do you get off.

If you sit on the sidelines, contribute nothing, and nobody else is aware you exist....... are you part of that forum ?

Really.. I may be in a grouchy mood here, and not the most welcoming fellow.... but to say im full of crap for arguing that "Joined date" is insignificant when compared to posts and activity...... thats ridiculous, dude.

Torst..

I do welcome you. Really sounds like it

I hope you get your ipod from the sleezy concierge, i do.. and I hope you contribute to this forum on at least a semi-regular basis.

I'd be even more ticked if after you get your ipod from the concierge... we never heard from you again.. and your total presence here amounts to Give: 4 posts over a 7 month period and Take: one ipod

Barnes..

I maybe average 5 posts a week these days. The fact that I joined 2.5 years ago means nothing because i no longer actively participate, and consequently, as far as this "community" is concerned.. i would definitely consider myself as living out on the fringe. You have twice the posts as me in one less year... Does my start date override your much more active participation and dictate that I am more a member of this community... of course not.

Start date by itself is irrelevant.. so are posts... combine them together, you get activity... which leads to participation...which leads to value to a forum community. Therefore.. I have the right to be slightly miffed that the winner of one of the few contests we have here... has contributed nothing, and prior to winning a contest was of zero value to the community because he was nonexistent.

Perhaps arguing posts vs start date wasn't all that tactful when combined with a welcome post... i'll give you that ..and i apologize to you Torst.

But Welcome aside... I maintain that one's activity level is what makes one a member of this and any forum community.. and not your start date....... your "Full of Crap" line was uncalled for.

Trae...

I probably lurked a few months too..

But I certainly didn't use my months of lurking in a argument to justify being part of the community.

And you contradict yourself consistently, you say post count doesn't matter, yet you directly contest his eligibility based on post count. Am I missing something here?

Whatever niche, I started off telling him that i hope he get the ipod from the concierge.... and i'm not the one that started the bitching. Nor was I the only one questioning the prize going to this name that appeared out of nowhere.

Your chicken in every pot alternative is rubbish, extreme and of course thats not what i was getting at.

Independent of Torst.. independent on how much participation merits winning a prize...

I believe those that choose to lurk on the outside, not make their presence known, and not participate are also choosing to not be part of that community. So to come out and say "But i've been part of your community all along"... doesn't work with me.

I'm not bitter about him getting the prize... i was bitter at his "but i've been here all along" rationale for winning the prize

He never stated that what so ever, in no uncertain terms or not. Now you are making crap up.

He never stated that what so ever, in no uncertain terms or not. Now you are making crap up.

Parapharasing dude

Prior to post 69, i referred to him as a newbie... which we call agree with 4 posts is factual, and hardly offensive or in need of correcting.

In post 69 he essentially responded, eventhough i have only 4 posts, I'm no newbie.... again paraphrasing.

That is the only thing i was arguing. What defines newbie.. my view vs the rest of you. And since so many of you "Lay out the welcome mat" and treat this as a community... i was putting forth my view of what makes someone part of that community.

Never was I arguing that he shouldnt get the prize... to the contrary, several times i said i hope he got it from the consierge. I never equated my views on community with eligibility. I did say it was a shame he ended up with it.... That is not the same thing. I not once said he shouldn't have been eligible.

Am i miffed he won it.. yes.

Do i still think he deserves it given the consierge alternative and no one else stepped up... yes.

Those views aren't contradictory.

My first post today (67) was

"No, Puma was right on in this part.

He was referring to Torst, the person that legitimately won the ipod, not the concierge, and who is also a newbie with a whole 3 posts to his name."

I was never questioning is eligibility....

Parapharasing dude

Prior to post 69, i referred to him as a newbie... which we call agree with 4 posts is factual, and hardly offensive or in need of correcting.

In post 69 he essentially responded, eventhough i have only 4 posts, I'm no newbie.... again paraphrasing.

That is the only thing i was arguing. What defines newbie.. my view vs the rest of you. And since so many of you "Lay out the welcome mat" and treat this as a community... i was putting forth my view of what makes someone part of that community.

Never was I arguing that he shouldnt get the prize... to the contrary, several times i said i hope he got it from the consierge. I never equated my views on community with eligibility. I did say it was a shame he ended up with it.... That is not the same thing. I not once said he shouldn't have been eligible.

Am i miffed he won it.. yes.

Do i still think he deserves it given the consierge alternative and no one else stepped up... yes.

Those views aren't contradictory. Say What? :wacko:

You must be hanging out with Puma. It's Puff Puff Pass.......Not Puff Puff Puff, perhaps in your case Puff Puff Puff Puff Puff Puff Puff Puff Puff...........

Paraphrasing? You can't even spell the world much less understand the meaning. You don't capture a paraphrase in quotation marks.

Dont gimme your Say What BS.... you obviously didnt read this post before spouting off "blah blah crap"

My first post obviously sums up my feelings on his eligibility, my feeling on that who won it, and my desired outcome.

Everything else was my response to him taking offense that I referred to him as a newbie. Thats all.

Paraphrasing? You can't even spell the world much less understand the meaning. You don't capture a paraphrase in quotation marks.

Now you're just being an ass....

I think its immature to call someone a newbie just based on the fact that they have not been in the same room as the rest of the group. For all you know this "newbie" is a Master Architect. Perhaps then we would be the newbies in his/her eyes on this architectural board.

So what should we do? Initiate new members now? Make them Pledges? How many posts until one is considered "cool"?

Dont gimme your Say What BS.... you obviously didnt read this post before spouting off "blah blah crap"

My first post obviously sums up my feelings on his eligibility, my feeling on that who won it, and my desired outcome.

Everything else was my response to him taking offense that I referred to him as a newbie. Thats all.

Now you're just being an ass....

Never saw where Torst took offense to anything, and he damn sure didn't start name calling (i.e. "Newbie") or profiling peoples status based on posts.

C'mon y'all ... it's JUST an iPod. It's not like it's an ingot of gold...

Mac it's way past the iPod, it's completely revolving around respect for your fellow HAIF members. Whether he or she has 1 post or 1,000 posts, when you agree to the TOS, answer the confirmation email, you become a member until Wayne says otherwise. I don't think even the Mods can dictate who is and who isn't a member, I am pretty sure that is an executive decision, and Wayne is the only executive here. Moderators are basically the police, Wayne is the Judge, Jury and Executioner, if it comes to that. The rest of us are drones, the worker bees so to speak.

Now he's called me an ass, so now it's gotten personal. Has nothing to do with the iPod. I could care less if Wayne gave away one or a hundred. That's his business.

I think its immature to call someone a newbie just based on the fact that they have not been in the same room as the rest of the group. For all you know this "newbie" is a Master Architect. Perhaps then we would be the newbies in his/her eyes on this architectural board.

I wasn't using newbie as a derogatory term... He had 3 posts to his name. I figured newbie was a harmless way to indicate this.

Not in the same room ? That makes no sense when the posts are totals from across the forum.

If he's a master architect.. thats great... however that has no bearing on his newness level to participating in this forum

Never saw where Torst took offense to anything, and he damn sure didn't start name calling (i.e. "Newbie") or profiling peoples status based on posts.

Since when is newbie name calling. Is that really that offensive to some of you? How then would you refer to people that are new here... New Guy? Guy with 3 posts? what ?

It wasn't so much taking offense as it was he apparently didnt consider himself new since he's been a lurker for 6 months and he didnt think i should consider him new either..

All the rest of you were Welcoming him to the board... usually what we do to new people.... he never questioned you on that though.

Mac it's way past the iPod, it's completely revolving around respect for your fellow HAIF members. Whether he or she has 1 post or 1,000 posts, when you agree to the TOS, answer the confirmation email, you become a member until Wayne says otherwise. I don't think even the Mods can dictate who is and who isn't a member, I am pretty sure that is an executive decision, and Wayne is the only executive here. Moderators are basically the police, Wayne is the Judge, Jury and Executioner, if it comes to that. The rest of us are drones, the worker bees so to speak.

Now he's called me an ass, so now it's gotten personal. Has nothing to do with the iPod. I could care less if Wayne gave away one or a hundred. That's his business.

Agreed. I think people get very passionate. Afterall, this is really our virtual neighborhood and people are very defensive and protective of what's 'theirs'.

In fact, I am closer to people here than people in my own neighborhood.

Err ... not sure where I was headed with this post.

Archived