Trae

River Oaks District - Retail/Office/Residential project - Westheimer @ Westcreek

equinox.png

^^^ i cannot wait to view the final design of this long anticipated ROD hotel.  this is going to be luxury unparalleled.  perfect for RIVER OAKS DISTRICT....

• Like 4

Is this part of ROD though? The site plan doesn't stops short of where the steakhouse (I think that's what it is) is, correct? Or am I making things up

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

Is this part of ROD though? The site plan doesn't stops short of where the steakhouse (I think that's what it is) is, correct? Or am I making things up

^^^ phase II of ROD.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Avossos said:

A New York-based developer plans to build a high-rise, mixed-use hotel in Houston's swanky River Oaks neighborhood. 

EQX River Oaks LLC has filed an application with the city planning and development commission to develop a 214-room Equinox hotel with ground floor restaurant space on Westcreek Lane, near the corner of Westheimer and Loop 610. 

VIDEO: Houston resident's security camera catches River Oaks condo demolition

The new project joins a long list of luxury high-rise developments in Houston's quickly densifying uptown area.

Equinox is an operator of high-end gyms that last year announced plans to build its own line of luxury fitness-focused hotels, with its first projects slated to open in Manhattan and Los Angeles by early 2019.

In addition to hotel rooms, the building will sport about 70 apartments.

http://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/New-Equinox-hotel-proposed-Houston-River-Oaks-11266890.php

Confirmation! Equinox Hotel in Houston is good news. I'm happy to see this coming to River Oaks District. This is going to give St. Regis and Hotel Derek serious competition. I'm hoping this forces St. Regis to update its tired hotel. All Uptown and River Oaks is missing is a W Hotel and Ritz Carlton. But I would be open to Nobu hotel.

• Like 4

http://swamplot.com/the-equinox-hotel-moving-in-a-few-doors-down-from-the-equinox-fitness-club-in-the-river-oaks-district/2017-07-07/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+swamplot+(Swamplot%3A+Houston's+Real+Estate+Landscape)

equinox-map.jpg

river-oaks-district-phase-ii-old-render.

^^^ SWAMPLOT'S birdseye view.. of the lot and concept rendering right across from ROD of the proposed EQUINOX HOTEL RIVER OAKS.

Edited by monarch
  • Like 5

By the looks of the lobby layout (elevators away from street) this rendering does not appear to be current design. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, monarch said:

Swamplot says this is a rendering of the "imagined hotel" from 2015, long before Equinox got involved. Although the small first floor plan shown on Swamplot (that's actually from Equinox) argues that the building should be quite slender, and thus tall. Fingers crossed.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, BigFootsSocks said:

If you haven’t found it yet then no :lol:

Tee-hee-hee. I didn't want to bother Urb and ask him in a message. I probably annoy him with my questions. I took my chances asking publicly.

The more cool hotels Houston has, the less I have to hear from whining friends from out of town how Houston doesn't have many cool hotels. Once this is built, do you think the Derek will be terribly affected by it? Equinox has a gym, theater, shopping, and restaurants in closer walking proximity (and less traffic and superior parking) in comparison to the Derek.

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Tee-hee-hee. I didn't want to bother Urb and ask him in a message. I probably annoy him with my questions. I took my chances asking publicly.

Feel free to ask me anyting. Eagerly waiting for more on this one, searched to no avail. :ph34r: If I come across something it will be posted here shortly after.

• Like 5

From Twitter:

Two restaurants from Baltimore are opening this year in River Oaks District (@RODistrict): Loch Bar (seafood) and Ouzo Bay (Greek).

https://twitter.com/chicchickeats/status/948559629130313731

Here's the site plan showing where the two restaurants are going behind Le Colonial. Also shown is East Hampton Sandwich Co. next to Hopdoddy Burger Bar.
J4F49r7.jpg

• Like 5

Went to CAVO Coffee this afternoon.  The ROD! Arabella and other buildings were just glaring over the shopping center.

Nice bench

l6VKEan.jpg

Arabella & Amegy

c1b1S9i.jpg

The Wilshire and Arabella

Kv75QbT.jpg

CAVO Coffee. The (once) Chef turned Barista mentioned their spot at ROD is only a pop-up location. For a few months. I believe they're testing out the fit? Seeing if a high end coffee shop does well at a luxury shopping center.

voqLIHi.jpg

Since it's a pop-up location they do not serve espresso drinks in glass. To-go cups only.

UkVkn01.jpg

Edited by Twitter1
  • Like 9

On 12/5/2017 at 7:58 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

New restaurant opening soon in River Oaks District.

East Hampton Sandwich Co.
http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/12-04-17-east-hampton-sandwich-co-houston-river-oaks-district-montrose-hunter-pond/

Cavo Coffee is opening a coffee stand there too.
pGDSrBK.jpg 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcTP3Uxl3M9/

On 1/7/2018 at 4:26 PM, Twitter1 said:

Went to CAVO Coffee this afternoon.  The ROD! Arabella and other buildings were just glaring over the shopping center.

Nice bench

CAVO Coffee. The (once) Chef turned Barista mentioned their spot at ROD is only a pop-up location. For a few months. I believe they're testing out the fit? Seeing if a high end coffee shop does well at a luxury shopping center.

voqLIHi.jpg

Since it's a pop-up location they do not serve espresso drinks in glass. To-go cups only.

UkVkn01.jpg

Cavo Coffee pop-up at River Oaks District has closed. There is no detail on the future of the small space, maybe more retail pop-ups?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be2xut0Fzbk/

• Like 1

On 1/3/2018 at 9:58 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

From Twitter:

Two restaurants from Baltimore are opening this year in River Oaks District (@RODistrict): Loch Bar (seafood) and Ouzo Bay (Greek).

https://twitter.com/chicchickeats/status/948559629130313731

Here's the site plan showing where the two restaurants are going behind Le Colonial. Also shown is East Hampton Sandwich Co. next to Hopdoddy Burger Bar.
J4F49r7.jpg

More on Loch Bar and Ouzo Bay opening in River Oaks District in Houston.

From Eater Houston

Atlas Restaurant Group’s Alex Smith tells Eater that both restaurants will occupy a sprawling 11,000 square feet of space in Houston’s River Oaks District, taking over the entire bottom floor of the Equinox building at 4444 Westheimer Road. Ouzo Bay, an upscale Mediterranean restaurant with a focus on top-quality seafood, will take up about 7,000 square feet, offering indoor and outdoor seating for about 225 diners.

Ouzo Bay first opened in Baltimore in 2012, where the restaurant quickly racked up accolades from local publications. “We’re flying in fresh fish from all of the world,” Smith says. “Whether it’s Dover sole wild-caught in Holland, bronzino from Greece, or fresh out of the Gulf.” Smith describes Ouzo Bay’s vibe as “sexy-cool,” complete with a large fish display to show off the day’s catch and a DJ playing tunes in the background. Fans of Steak 48, one of River Oaks’ hottest see-and-be-seen restaurants, will likely find a lot to like about Ouzo Bay.

Sister concept Loch Bar, a whiskey-focused bar with an equally seafood-focused menu, will open adjacent to Ouzo Bay, occupying 4,000 square feet. Smith plans to offer Texas’ widest selection of whiskeys at Loch Bar, and expects to have at least 500 different bottles on the list. A selection of fresh oysters from the Gulf and beyond will be on offer, along with sandwiches and classic plates like Maryland crab cakes served with Old Bay remoulade.

...Both Ouzo Bay and Loch Bar are expected to open in November 2018.

https://houston.eater.com/2018/1/26/16934040/ouzo-bay-loch-bar-seafood-opening-houston-atlas-restaurant-group

• Like 1

From Houston Business Journal today:

A global private equity giant has entered talks to acquire OliverMcMillan, the San Diego-based firm that developed Houston's River Oaks District.

OliverMcMillan CEO Dene Oliver confirmed the development company is in discussions with Brookfield Residential Properties Inc. in a statement to Atlanta Business Chronicle, a sister publication of the Houston Business Journal.

Brookfield Residential develops master-planned projects and sells land to third-party homebuilders. It is a subsidiary and flagship residential arm of Canadian private equity firm Brookfield Asset Management.

... Brookfield may see an opportunity in OliverMcMillan’s remaining development portfolio. It still has several large mixed-use projects underway across the country, including Nashville’s Fifth + Broadway.

... In a statement regarding a possible deal with Brookfield, Oliver said, "With the ever-changing nature of real estate today — especially as it pertains to mixed use — forward-thinking companies are exploring all opportunities to create unique lifestyle environments."

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/02/05/global-equity-giant-in-talks-to-buy-river-oaks.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swtsig said:

Brookfield has quietly been active outside of downtown

I sure hope they are grabbing those pieces of land off the bayou...

* River Oaks District V2 at Shepard and Dallas st?

* Buys out Regent Square?

* Both?

23 minutes ago, Avossos said:

I sure hope they are grabbing those pieces of land off the bayou...

* River Oaks District V2 at Shepard and Dallas st?

* Buys out Regent Square?

* Both?

Buy out Target and expand the existing. They would have to pay way above market for the land though since they are locked in. Unless they worked out some sort of deal with Target a few years ago.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 8:16 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

From Houston Business Journal today:

A global private equity giant has entered talks to acquire OliverMcMillan, the San Diego-based firm that developed Houston's River Oaks District.

OliverMcMillan CEO Dene Oliver confirmed the development company is in discussions with Brookfield Residential Properties Inc. in a statement to Atlanta Business Chronicle, a sister publication of the Houston Business Journal.

Brookfield Residential develops master-planned projects and sells land to third-party homebuilders. It is a subsidiary and flagship residential arm of Canadian private equity firm Brookfield Asset Management.

... Brookfield may see an opportunity in OliverMcMillan’s remaining development portfolio. It still has several large mixed-use projects underway across the country, including Nashville’s Fifth + Broadway.

... In a statement regarding a possible deal with Brookfield, Oliver said, "With the ever-changing nature of real estate today — especially as it pertains to mixed use — forward-thinking companies are exploring all opportunities to create unique lifestyle environments."

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/02/05/global-equity-giant-in-talks-to-buy-river-oaks.html

It's official.

From Houston Business Journal:

Brookfield Residential Properties Inc. on Feb. 6 announced it acquired OliverMcMillan, the San Diego-based firm that developed Houston's River Oaks District.

Atlanta Business Chronicle, a sister paper of the Houston Business Journal, confirmed Feb. 5 that a deal between the two companies was in the works.

It pairs Brookfield Residential, the North American residential arm of global private equity giant Brookfield Asset Management, with OliverMcMillan's development portfolio, which includes ongoing projects in cities such as Nashville and several others. As part of Brookfield, OliverMcMillan will continue to design and build high-end mixed-use projects in urban centers across the country, according to the Feb. 6 press release.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/02/07/its-official-brookfield-confirms-acquisition-of.html

• Like 2

Another restaurant opening this year at River Oaks District.

From Eater Houston:

The minds behind BCN Taste & Tradition, Houston’s finest Spanish eatery, are planning to open a brand new restaurant that will focus on pinxtos in the River Oaks District.

Sebastian Laval, the general manager of the forthcoming restaurant, tells Eater that it will be called MAD. “It’s the airport code for Madrid,” Laval says. “It’s also a play on the word “mad” as in mad-crazy, because we want the experience to be intensely good,” he explains. The restaurant will set up shop at 4444 Westheimer Road, in the space that was formerly going to be occupied by Arizona-based restaurant Sumomaya, which quietly squashed its plans to open in River Oaks.

“We are going to be serving Spanish small bites and finger foods inspired by the tradition of the pinxtos,” says Laval. “Pinxto means ‘something that is supposed to be stabbed with a toothpick,’ but it’s evolved so that now it’s more finger foods and small plates. We’ll be taking the pinxto tradition and being creative with it. There will also be large plates to share,” he says. Inspiration for the upcoming restaurant was gathered over weeks of intense travel to Spain, during which Laval, accompanied by owners Ignacio Torras and chef/owner Luis Roger, visited more than 40 restaurants in cities across Italy.

When it opens, MAD will offer lunch, brunch, dinner and late night service. The beverage program will consist of beer, wine and creative cocktails.

“We’re not re-creating. It’s inspired. It’s not going to be too regional. It’s a combination of things. We’re not re-doing proper traditional food from a region. It’s going to be food that’s inspired from our trip to Spain.” And, he says, “We want it to be really fun.”

MAD is expected to debut in River Oaks before the end of 2018.

https://houston.eater.com/2018/2/9/16993288/bcn-taste-tradition-expanding-mad-madrid

• Like 2

On 2/9/2018 at 9:17 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Another restaurant opening this year at River Oaks District.

From Eater Houston:

The minds behind BCN Taste & Tradition, Houston’s finest Spanish eatery, are planning to open a brand new restaurant that will focus on pinxtos in the River Oaks District.

Sebastian Laval, the general manager of the forthcoming restaurant, tells Eater that it will be called MAD. “It’s the airport code for Madrid,” Laval says. “It’s also a play on the word “mad” as in mad-crazy, because we want the experience to be intensely good,” he explains. The restaurant will set up shop at 4444 Westheimer Road, in the space that was formerly going to be occupied by Arizona-based restaurant Sumomaya, which quietly squashed its plans to open in River Oaks.

“We are going to be serving Spanish small bites and finger foods inspired by the tradition of the pinxtos,” says Laval. “Pinxto means ‘something that is supposed to be stabbed with a toothpick,’ but it’s evolved so that now it’s more finger foods and small plates. We’ll be taking the pinxto tradition and being creative with it. There will also be large plates to share,” he says. Inspiration for the upcoming restaurant was gathered over weeks of intense travel to Spain, during which Laval, accompanied by owners Ignacio Torras and chef/owner Luis Roger, visited more than 40 restaurants in cities across Italy.

When it opens, MAD will offer lunch, brunch, dinner and late night service. The beverage program will consist of beer, wine and creative cocktails.

“We’re not re-creating. It’s inspired. It’s not going to be too regional. It’s a combination of things. We’re not re-doing proper traditional food from a region. It’s going to be food that’s inspired from our trip to Spain.” And, he says, “We want it to be really fun.”

MAD is expected to debut in River Oaks before the end of 2018.

https://houston.eater.com/2018/2/9/16993288/bcn-taste-tradition-expanding-mad-madrid

So I know they’re supposed to be opening their new concept “MAD”, but signs on the storefront say “coming soon BCN Taste & Tradition”... Wonder if they changed their mind. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

So I know they’re supposed to be opening their new concept “MAD”, but signs on the storefront say “coming soon BCN Taste & Tradition”... Wonder if they changed their mind. 

I wonder if they might move BCN to River Oaks District, and open MAD in the current BCN space.

Given the other restaurant tenants in ROD, BCN might be more of a match, whereas MAD could serve as a useful neighborhood restaurant in the current BCN space.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Office component for phase II has been given the axe, hotel begins this Fall

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places/projects/49/river_oaks_district_phase_ii

So those are the renderings of the condos / apartment homes, right? Do we have an updated rendering of the hotel? 

The latest rendering for the hotel I could find:

rod_phase-2_11920x1080.jpg

Edited by AREJAY
  • Like 4

The most exciting news about all of this is possibly the fact that the run down convenience store will finally be torn down haha! I wonder how soon that will happen!? :o:lol:

• Like 2

There had been talk of a luxury boutique hotel on the empty lot north of ROD, across Bettis.  If the hotel mentioned above is in the property to the west, formerly occupied by Sullivan's and Le Peep, I suppose it might preempt the other one.  I also agree that it will be great to see the old convenience store and nail salon building go away. 

Edited by ArchFan
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, ArchFan said:

There had been talk of a luxury boutique hotel on the empty lot north of ROD, across Bettis.  If the hotel mentioned above is in the property to the west, formerly occupied by Sullivan's and Le Peep, I suppose it might preempt the other one.  I also agree that it will be great to see the old convenience store and nail salon building go away. 

Yes, there was/is a hotel proposed for the corner lot next to the Wilshire. The Equinox hotel, is the proposed hotel going in adjacent to ROD Phase II. 

• Like 4

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/06-14-18-taverna-pizzeria-and-risotteria-closed-river-oaks-district/

With all that in mind, don't expect the Taverna space to remain vacant for long. Two CultureMap sources claim that the property already has a new owner that's planning a new concept that could open in the later summer or early fall. Expect more details on that as soon as they're available.

Not surprised that Taverna closed. My guess is a sushi spot opens in its place. 

8 hours ago, elihouston said:

Owners of Clé are doing restaurant in closed Taverna space.

That sounds exciting. Hopefully they can execute to the level of Hakkasan.  

On 6/15/2018 at 8:54 AM, LBC2HTX said:

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/06-14-18-taverna-pizzeria-and-risotteria-closed-river-oaks-district/

With all that in mind, don't expect the Taverna space to remain vacant for long. Two CultureMap sources claim that the property already has a new owner that's planning a new concept that could open in the later summer or early fall. Expect more details on that as soon as they're available.

11 hours ago, elihouston said:

2 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

Yes. The group known for the Midtown club Clé at 2301 Main St, is opening a restaurant in Houston's River Oaks District.

The restaurant is Bisou and will replace Taverna at 4444 Westheimer Road, Suite A115.

https://www.facebook.com/bisouhouston

http://www.bisouhouston.com

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

On 6/15/2018 at 8:54 AM, LBC2HTX said:

On 6/17/2018 at 11:26 PM, elihouston said:

On 6/18/2018 at 8:08 AM, LBC2HTX said:

On 6/18/2018 at 10:03 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Yes. The group known for the Midtown club Clé at 2301 Main St, is opening a restaurant in Houston's River Oaks District.

The restaurant is Bisou and will replace Taverna at 4444 Westheimer Road, Suite A115.

https://www.facebook.com/bisouhouston

http://bisourestaurant.com

More on Bisou, the restaurant replacing Taverna in River Oaks District, 4444 Westheimer, Suite A115.

From Houston Chronicle:

Houston nightlife operator Cle Group is taking a big step on the local hospitality scene with the announcement of its first restaurant concept, Bisou, set to open this fall at River Oaks District, 4444 Westheimer.

Bisou will take the place of Taverna, the recently closed restaurant from the Dallas-based Lombardi Family Concepts, which also operates Toulouse Café and Bar at River Oaks District. No word on why Taverna shuttered.

Cle Group is well known to the party set as operators of the hot spots Cle and Spire. Bisou, French for "kiss," will be helmed by chef Frederic Perrier, who Houston foodies may remember from the French restaurant Aura in Missouri City and Sugar Land. Perrier, a native of Lyon, France, is a member of Master Chefs of France.

"We always had the goal of expanding our offerings as we evolve into a more diverse hospitality group with multiple brands in both the dining and entertainment space," said Andrew Estes, Cle Group partner. "River Oaks District made perfect sense for this particular concept given all the luxury brands and white-hot restaurants already there. We think Bisou will be an excellent addition to the mix and only add to River Oaks District's allure as the most sought after mixed-use destination in the city."

...The 5,500-square-foot restaurant will be designed by the Dallas-based Duncan Design Group, which is expected to inject the space with a "serious dose of glitz and glamour," according to a press release.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Owners-of-Cle-nightclub-to-open-Bisou-restaurant-13004537.php

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

48 minutes ago, Timoric said:

Is leasing over 90 percent in the center?

I'd say no. 

There's available space between Steak48 and Bisou;

between Kiton and Roller Rabbit;

two spaces between Baanou and Theory;

the corner space where the Cavo pop-up was; and

the Malia Mills space is a temporary pop-up. 

Edited by LBC2HTX

On 5/23/2018 at 9:17 AM, gene said:

The most exciting news about all of this is possibly the fact that the run down convenience store will finally be torn down haha! I wonder how soon that will happen!? :o:lol:

@gene, I assume this is the convenience store? Looks like it's closed on a Saturday afternoon.  Wonder if the company shut down or they closed for the afternoon.

rrvpjHT.jpg

On 7/14/2018 at 4:32 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

@gene, I assume this is the convenience store? Looks like it's closed on a Saturday afternoon.  Wonder if the company shut down or they closed for the afternoon.

rrvpjHT.jpg

You are giving me soooooooo much hope ekdrm2d1 haha!!! 

Phase II fence and Transwestern sign. The corner store should be on a Demo Report any day.

R1PGEth.jpg

Mka3ZsT.jpg

qhVvvB3.jpg