River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd. & 4702 Westheimer Rd.

Since you seem to be pretty plugged I'm curious to know what your thoughts are on the capital stack of the project. Care to share some insight?

I'm not at liberty to say beyond what I've shared without violating confidentiality. But I can say that in the city's new plans, the Ritz has renewed their interest in the block bound by Dallas, Labranch, Lamar and Austin Streets. The issue is the cost of the site has nearly quadrupled since their initial interest. That's the holdup.

• Like 1

I don't know who to believe.

swtsig has a long history of credibility. htownlive has made a lot of assertions in his brief time here that have yet to fruit. though I'd love his assertions to be true, posts like the following raise doubts of credibility.

You're obviously delusional. You've lost the argument, we've all moved on.

• Like 3

swtsig has a long history of credibility. htownlive has made a lot of assertions in his brief time here that have yet to fruit. though I'd love his assertions to be true, posts like the following raise doubts of credibility

That's great and all, but haven't seen anything recently from swtsig showing s/he knows anything more than us regular haif folk. My money's on HTOWN LIVE, until proven otherwise. 

• Like 1

swtsig has a long history of credibility. htownlive has made a lot of assertions in his brief time here that have yet to fruit. though I'd love his assertions to be true, posts like the following raise doubts of credibility.

Agreed. Swtsig has proven himself in the past on many occasions with information before it was public. In fact, I'd say he's the number 2 source of info after Urbanizer on this board. On the other hand, I haven't seen anything that htownlive has asserted come true yet. This may be because the W/Ritz and the Bloomingdales/Macy's/Dallas Street shopping district are huge projects that need more time, but I'm going to remain skeptical until we see some actual info. This isn't to say that those projects wouldn't be amazing, of course I'm praying that they happen just like everyone else on this board.

I don't know who to believe.

I discuss it with the mayor's office and her executive team on a regular basis, and even I won't believe it until I see it. Most of the talk regarding all of these developments is informational until the dirt is turning and the cranes are flying.

Moreover, we've been down this road with Ritz before and they can't seem to get it together. 8 years ago they looked around and decided to go with Wulfe & Co. at BLVD Place...and today 8 years later they're still trying. But with Houston's economy roaring, this time they've been met with a taste of their own medicine...a very high price/premium for a place to stay.

So that's where it is for the moment...waiting for Ritz to reevaluate their plans. If they pay that premium, they may as well make it a signature property (a major investment) and build to impress the highest of world class tastes (as some of their properties do), as Houston won't respect the likes of the run-of-the-mill crap like their St. Louis, Dallas, Cleveland or Charlotte properties.

Hotel Alessandra going up will cause a lot more to fall into place...and that's when Ritz will probably decide.

• Like 1

Agreed. Swtsig has proven himself in the past on many occasions with information before it was public. In fact, I'd say he's the number 2 source of info after Urbanizer on this board. On the other hand, I haven't seen anything that htownlive has asserted come true yet. This may be because the W/Ritz and the Bloomingdales/Macy's/Dallas Street shopping district are huge projects that need more time, but I'm going to remain skeptical until we see some actual info. This isn't to say that those projects wouldn't be amazing, of course I'm praying that they happen just like everyone else on this board.

Indeed, the mayor's plan is huge and involves 7 blocks of unprecedented redevelopment for downtown Houston. This isn't the latest midrise or typical apartments going up...this project will create a signature shopping district in downtown Houston (similar to Michigan Avenue) and will restore world class retail to the CBD.

I've been involved with it for over 3 years, so I know what I'm talking about and I've proven myself with the mayor and the other executives making this happen. I have no time to argue with someone about what I know for fact, simply because they can't comprehend or believe the scope of the project.

She's made general information about the project public. I'm simply sharing what I can of behind-the-scenes happenings with fellow enthusiasts as progress is made, and will continue to do so.

Edited by HTOWN LIVE
  • Like 1

Indeed, the mayor's plan is huge and involves 7 blocks of unprecedented redevelopment for downtown Houston. This isn't the latest midrise or typical apartments going up...this project will create a signature shopping district in downtown Houston (similar to Michigan Avenue) and will restore world class retail to the CBD.

I've been involved with it for over 3 years, so I know what I'm talking about and I've proven myself with the mayor and the other executives making this happen. I have no time to argue with someone about what I know for fact, simply because they can't comprehend or believe the scope of the project.

She's made general information about the project public. I'm simply sharing what I can of behind-the-scenes happenings with fellow enthusiasts as progress is made, and will continue to do so.

How likely will ALL of this happen??? I don't have to know when.

not comparable... Not even a little. No group looking to develop a large scale luxury hotel would use a 30 room boutique as a comp. besides, as I mentioned before the issue at hand is room rate.

As much as htown live would have you believe houston is awash in luxury it's exactly the reason that houston doesn't have ANY luxury hotels comparable to a new ritz that is the problem.

This.

And the condo component is also huge. Houston isn't a large highrise, upper end condo market. We're moving in that direction, but cities like Dallas and Atlanta are years ahead. Many hotels, especially the luxury brands, are not building just hotels these days because they cannot get the lending without the condos as a part of the project. This is what really hurts downtown. We have NOTHING that can show a nervous lender that such a project would be successful. Personally, I think it would be a slam dunk, but I can provide nothing to factually back up my presumption.

As for Dallas, it has several brands that Houston doesn't including Ritz-Carlton, Crescent, and LeMeridien. It also has local classics like the Adolphus and the Mansion on Turtle Creek. It's also the birthplace of the Magnolia and ZaZa brands.

We'll eventually get there. We just need someone to have the vision and balls (because without evidence, there will be a risk taken) to make the move.

This.

And the condo component is also huge. Houston isn't a large highrise, upper end condo market. We're moving in that direction, but cities like Dallas and Atlanta are years ahead. Many hotels, especially the luxury brands, are not building just hotels these days because they cannot get the lending without the condos as a part of the project. This is what really hurts downtown. We have NOTHING that can show a nervous lender that such a project would be successful. Personally, I think it would be a slam dunk, but I can provide nothing to factually back up my presumption.

As for Dallas, it has several brands that Houston doesn't including Ritz-Carlton, Crescent, and LeMeridien. It also has local classics like the Adolphus and the Mansion on Turtle Creek. It's also the birthplace of the Magnolia and ZaZa brands.

We'll eventually get there. We just need someone to have the vision and balls (because without evidence, there will be a risk taken) to make the move.

Well if theres one thing that Houston has always had alot of, it's balls.

I know we will get there one day, its just frustrating to be in the uphill battle, with so many eye-rolling things holding us back.

This.

Is this happening with Hotel Alessandra? Do you think they will be the ones to prove that Houston can handle a Ritz, like HTOWNLIVE suggests? Edited by SMF

I always wonder who in Houston will step forward like Phil Nike does for Oregon and other icons in Houston's past. It seems like we have a leaderless boom, would be nice for someone with some moxie to step up and herd the cats to do something great...maybe someone is.

I totally agree. And it doesn't even need to be just individuals. Corporations could step up as well. AT&T has made some investments to Dallas' core with the AT&T Victory Park Plaza and the AT&T Performing Arts Center. Maybe Houston corporations could step up and invest in similar projects in Houston.

• Like 1

In a smaller sense I would point to Bob Schultz with the Mid-Main projects.

That includes:

Renovating existing buildings,

Constructing new buildings

Working with MATCH on shared parking

and ultimately almost single-handedly establishing Mid-Main as a neighborhood.

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 3

Listen, swtsig is no doubt our best insider but I don't see why htownlive can't be telling the truth. Sounds legit to me.

Some people here sure do like to try and scare away new insiders without giving them a chance. HAIF would have more if others weren't chased off.

• Like 5