Trae

River Oaks District - Retail/Office/Residential project - Westheimer @ Westcreek

"It's not a mall, it's not a shopping center, it's a destination" lol

By the way, I've heard of maybe one or two of the retailers listed in article. Guess I'll go walk through this place like one time and just enjoy the view while driving by after that.

• Like 2

thats because everything there is out of your budget unfortunately ;)

i will definitely be walking to the movie theater on a weekly basis....cannot wait!

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

M-300.png

masterpiece in the making!

thanks you urbannizer for redistributing those gorgeous illustrations.

it's getting closer, ROD, here i come....

• Like 2

ya they've managed to secure some of the most expensive retailers in the world at ROD - granted there are only a handful that would be willing to pay $200/RSF in Houston.

• Like 2

haha, no. the parking lot north of Sullivans would be the plot for the taller tower. thats Westheimer on the lower left.

• Like 2

if i had to guess, i would say the ~10 story is a boutique hotel and the ~30 story is a residential tower..? they wanted a hotel component, and the tower looks to have balconies in between what i assume are strips of glass curtain wall panels running down the outside? a lot of assuming over here. hopefully it doesn't make an ass out of u and me. ;)

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

if i had to guess, i would say the ~10 story is a boutique hotel and the ~30 story is a residential tower..? they wanted a hotel component, and the tower looks to have balconies in between what i assume are strips of glass curtain wall panels running down the outside? a lot of assuming over here. hopefully it doesn't make an ass out of u and me. ;)

Boutique hotel? I was thinking office.

i would say the ~10 story is a boutique hotel and the ~30 story is a residential tower.

Pretty nice. Love it. 

but......oooohhh what a tangled web of traffic we weave

Boutique hotel? I was thinking office.

yeah. office would be my other guess for the 10 story. i just said hotel because in the original plan they had some high end hotel component, and given the recent lull in office demand the hotel makes more sense to me. almost positive the tower is residential though, merely based off looks/what appear to be balconies.

w-new-york-hotel-logo-150x150.png

the taller tower portion, looks like it could be the answer to my long sought prayers.

• Like 1

interesting.. i have no knowledge on the project. just speculation because it looks to be loaded with balconies. unless the "panels" are solid facade and the "balconies" I'm seeing are just the inner floor plates showing through glass facade? so hotel and office?

020214-pink-jelly-icon-symbols-shapes-sm

great job towerspotter!

can't wait to find out the brand of the hotel tower...

• Like 1

seriously loving this area more and more...i cannot wait to see it all come to fruition!!! thank you for the updates and photos everyone! :)

• Like 4

Great render TS. Looks like you're missing the gables high rise though.

I'd love to see a tall iconic tower in this cluster... Amegy and Arabella have the design but not quite the height. Something 45+ stories would look great amongst all the new 15-34 story buildings.

• Like 7

Great render TS. Looks like you're missing the gables high rise though.

I'd love to see a tall iconic tower in this cluster... Amegy and Arabella have the design but not quite the height. Something 45+ stories would look great amongst all the new 15-34 story buildings.

slyfox.png?itok=OarO4YPQ

ok swtsig, are you trying to tell us something here ....

• Like 1

ROD model including phase 2 at Las Vegas ICSC Recon.

post-12929-0-95207700-1432237235_thumb.j

nevermind

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

All of this new development and Target still hasn't made any announcement about moving the hell out of the way. AWKWARD!

• Like 2

All of this new development and Target still hasn't made any announcement about moving the hell out of the way. AWKWARD!

Target does not give a flying f**k about anyone's idea of a more urban district or their giant parking lot being an eye sore. As long as they are making money they will not move. People on this site tend to forget the economics that are at play in the market and only want their ideal outcomes to come true, which would be nice but not be very economically viable.  

• Like 3

I tend to agree with jmitch94's comment, although I would love things to be otherwise.  i have been told -- by someone in a position to know a bit -- that this Target is their most profitable store (I assume just in Houston).  So, my guess would be that they would not close it, although if their management were clever, they might be open to the idea of redeveloping all or part of the property.

• Like 3

A redevelopment would be inevitable imo... It's a huge tract of prime real estate and target, if motivated to do so, could not only realize a solid return on the land but could probably develop a knockout flagship target. Granted who knows what their current basis is so maybe they're perfectly satisfied with their existing situation. But the opportunity is there.

There's some very interesting projects floating out there for the ROD area.... A suburban style target definitely doesn't jive.

• Like 7

There's some very interesting projects floating out there for the ROD area.... A suburban style target definitely doesn't jive.

Projects that haven't been announced yet?

I tend to agree with jmitch94's comment, although I would love things to be otherwise.  i have been told -- by someone in a position to know a bit -- that this Target is their most profitable store (I assume just in Houston).  So, my guess would be that they would not close it, although if their management were clever, they might be open to the idea of redeveloping all or part of the property.

everyone feel free to blame me...i love that target and i am sure that i one of the main people that keep them in business haha!

• Like 1

^^^ the above oliver mcmillan download left me breathless!  brilliant and exciting.  props for sharing mab...

Out of place? The entire city of Houston is out of place. With churches next to strip joints and 100 yr old two story houses nestled amongst 500 ft gleaming towers of glass you think the most profitable target in the houston area is going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to move from their most profitable location to an area not guaranteed to be as profitable because you think it doesn't look right?

• Like 8

Btw, let's not kid ourselves here. Tall buildings and jobs are but two aspects of being urban. Uptown is not even an uptown in the truest definition of the word and it certainly is not a downtown.

Uptown is a type of edge city sometimes referred to as a boomer.

http://www.lewishistoricalsociety.com/wiki/tiki-print_article.php?articleId=59

So my question is, if The downtown area is just now dipping it's toes in urban format stores like target, what makes you guys think the far less urban 'near' uptown area is just dying to go the urban target route.

Remember we are still building drive through cvs stores and low rise public storage areas around downtown.

Uptown is a gem, but it is still a suburban gem. Two of the most important factors that would contribute to an urban format target are missing.

1. Walkability- this is not just the ability to get there by foot but more about how comfortable getting there by foot is. Another major factor is wanting to get there by foot. Taking a pleasant walk versus fighting lanes of traffic has to be considered.

2. Public transportation. Again it is not about being able to get there on public transit but getting there with fairly few hassles.

Downtown has excellent transit options, unlike uptown, it is not that difficult to walk, it has a growing population and a huge immediate surrounding population, let's see if downtown lands urban format mega stores before we take pitch forks to this target

• Like 2

Target is not Saks. Saks move might have made financial sense, Target may not. You pop into Saks and get a few items, at target you get a cart and fill it up.

You are intentionally missing my point. Houston is not zoned and it has lots of space. The target is going to remain for as long as it makes financial sense.

• Like 2

Marshalls and other suburban strip stores are directly across from the high end Galleria, in the heart of Uptown and have remained for decades even with all the towers surrounding them. Why anyone would think this Target store will deviate from the Houston norm of suburban abutted next to high rise/density is beyond me. It isn't going anywhere anytime soon IMO.

• Like 3

You are intentionally missing my point. Houston is not zoned and it has lots of space. The target is going to remain for as long as it makes financial sense.

Could Target not build a large CityTarget (100k sq ft or so) in the eastern half of their parking lot while the current store remains open and shoppers park in the western half of the lot? Seems like the obvious way to redevelop the site without interrupting operations.

Could Target not build a large CityTarget (100k sq ft or so) in the eastern half of their parking lot while the current store remains open and shoppers park in the western half of the lot? Seems like the obvious way to redevelop the site without interrupting operations.

They could. But why would they?

Why spend money to?

What's the incentive?

Sell the unused portion you say? Why take the risk?

I am still not seeing the economic wisdom behind taking company funds to build an unnecessary building, then move my operations to that building, then demolish a functional building that btw I am making record profits out of.

What am I missing? Oh right, some people find the current format ugly.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why you are getting so bothered over a group of people speculating on the inevitable.. All I was saying is that they can build a new urban format store on site while the suburban store stays open.

Any ideas what will happen with the abandoned dreams car wash (SanFelipe@Bancroft) adjacent to target? 1 to 2 acres there for development.