River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd. & 4702 Westheimer Rd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/05/cartier-dior-and-other-luxury-brands-coming-to-river-oaks-district/

Four of the world’s top luxury retailers plan to open stores in River Oaks District, the newest mixed-use real estate development focusing on flashy brands and high-end design located along Westheimer just inside the West Loop.

The commitment from the new tenants — Cartier, Dior, Hermes and Tom Ford — will help solidify the project’s future as Houston’s newest sought-after spot to splurge, the developer said.

“It really puts the stake in the ground, and really defines this as the new place in Houston for luxury and for upscale shopping — and that’s no easy feat,” said Dene Oliver, CEO of the San Diego-based OliverMcMillan.

Cartier recently closed its store in the Galleria and Hermes will be moving from BLVD Place, another upscale project, on Post Oak Boulevard.

OliverMcMillan broke ground on the 15-acre project last summer. The complex is expected to open in the spring of 2015 with 252,000 square feet of retail, restaurants, cafes and a cinema, along with 92,000 square feet of office space and 279 residential units. 

Hermes and Dior will have large stores in two-story buildings, with 10,117 square feet and 9,056 square feet, respectively. Cartier’s store will be 6,040 square feet, and Tom Ford will occupy 4,906 square feet.

Tom Ford is new to Houston and Dior used to be in the Galleria but closed its store there, Oliver said.

With the new leases, the retail component of River Oaks District is about 75 percent spoken for, including an eight-screen, 560-seat iPic Entertainment movie theater.

Hermes_Cartier_Dior-600x387.jpg

• Like 2

So with the Galleria addition (the part that's going to face Westheimer), ROD, and Highland village, Houston will have something of a Rodeo Drive like district..... just more spread out..... and with a freeway..... and with train tracks. So yeah, a Houston version. The distance from Weslayan to the Galleria is 1.2 miles. Maybe we can call it something like Houston's Magnificent mile. Hmmm.  

• Like 1

Maybe we can call it something like Houston's Magnificent mile. Hmmm.

Does that area between the tracks, westheimer, 610 and San Felipe have a name?

It deserves its own name. The developing density in that area is crazy.

I think it should be called Highland Oaks cause River Oaks is to the east and Afton Oaks is immediately south.

UpEast? As in Uptown East?

How about Mid Lane? Kinda close to this area - and its sort of the "middle" between River Oaks/Upper Kirby and the Galleria/Uptown?

I hate names with direction. I hate the east this and west that.

Uptown is already a name that plays off of downtown so we would be naming it after a place named after place. So it would be that place east of that place up of downtown?

Sorry, just my preference, but I like unique names for areas developing into its own area but still keeping some identity to the bigger area. That's why I like the Highland Village/ Highland Oaks name.

Mid lane is a double no no for me. Because it has that mid, up, east, sodo thing plus lane makes it seem quaint. It is a large area rapidly increasing in density, so mid lane doesn't do it justice. West creek is a double no no for the same two reasons.

I think that people will begin to see the area as an extension of highland village anyway.

The entire area should b called the river oaks district.

This.

It can become similar to how majority of the people in and out of Houston call Uptown "the Galleria area". A massive (world class) mall basically went and defined an entire area (unfairly IMO). I've already started thinking of the part of Uptown inside the Loop as a different animal than the part outside the Loop. It's ironic that right after you cross the freeway, the roads instantly become wider and everything instantly becomes more suburbanized.

Calling the area River Oaks District would be an incredible opportunity for this area to market itself independently.

• Like 2

I hate names with direction. I hate the east this and west that.

Uptown is already a name that plays off of downtown so we would be naming it after a place named after place. So it would be that place east of that place up of downtown?

Sorry, just my preference, but I like unique names for areas developing into its own area but still keeping some identity to the bigger area. That's why I like the Highland Village/ Highland Oaks name.

Mid lane is a double no no for me. Because it has that mid, up, east, sodo thing plus lane makes it seem quaint. It is a large area rapidly increasing in density, so mid lane doesn't do it justice. West creek is a double no no for the same two reasons.

I think that people will begin to see the area as an extension of highland village anyway.

I was kidding about UpEast.  Personally I would rather call it something - since its not Uptown and it isn't River Oaks.  And Highland Village is a shopping center same as River Oaks District and High Town or High Life (whatever the heck its called).  They aren't proper neighborhood names... or are they?

Mid Lane is an actual road that is roughly half-way between Highland Village and the other developments - hence why I thought that would be ok?

• Like 1

I was kidding about UpEast. Personally I would rather call it something - since its not Uptown and it isn't River Oaks. And Highland Village is a shopping center same as River Oaks District and High Town or High Life (whatever the heck its called). They aren't proper neighborhood names... or are they?

Mid Lane is an actual road that is roughly half-way between Highland Village and the other developments - hence why I thought that would be ok?

Highland Village is a shopping center now, but so was the galleria. Just as the galleria turned into the galleria, Highland Village could become an area. Or a change to Highland Oaks

• Like 1

the Galleria added its name to that area because it really lacked a cohesive/defining characteristic.  Uptown (as its now called) is more than just a collection of highrises and shops centered around the Galleria.  That's my take on it.

Highland Village is Highland Village.  I don't mind Mid Lane - name of the street, central portion of Wesheimer between River Oaks and Uptown, and its not a quaint area.  One can think whatever they want until they get there and see what it is, once there few will identify that area as "quaint".

It will probably not be anything.  River Oaks District will be that.  Highland Village will be that.  High Street will be that.  Since only Highland Village really, trully, plays on to the strength of Westheimer (the rest are inward facing) that's the only one of that whole area that is rightfully identified with that street.

Does that area between the tracks, westheimer, 610 and San Felipe have a name?

It deserves its own name. The developing density in that area is crazy.

I think it should be called Highland Oaks cause River Oaks is to the east and Afton Oaks is immediately south.

Considering Houston's tendency to liberally use Heights (as in Heights Wal mart) and River Oaks in all new development, I nominate River Oaks Heights.

In all seriousness though, I think the Uptown TIRZ will eventually expand to deal with street improvements and the same accents (silver ring street signs) will follow. We can have a greater Uptown and call this section Uptown East.

I would, however, like a totally organically new district to fill in between 610 and Upper Kirby / Greenway to fill the gap. There is already a lot of density along Richmond and Weslayan and more going in. If this becomes a thing, I like Highland Oaks.

http://www.houstontx.gov/ecodev/tirzmap.pdf

post-12487-0-97558700-1399575676_thumb.j

Considering Houston's tendency to liberally use Heights (as in Heights Wal mart) and River Oaks in all new development, I nominate River Oaks Heights.

In all seriousness though, I think the Uptown TIRZ will eventually expand to deal with street improvements and the same accents (silver ring street signs) will follow. We can have a greater Uptown and call this section Uptown East.

I would, however, like a totally organically new district to fill in between 610 and Upper Kirby / Greenway to fill the gap. There is already a lot of density along Richmond and Weslayan and more going in. If this becomes a thing, I like Highland Oaks.

http://www.houstontx.gov/ecodev/tirzmap.pdf

Actually, the new TIRZ should be closer to the area in yellow in this pic (disregard the difference in yellow hues). That would include all of the development between San Felipe and Westheimer, Highland village, and pretty much anything south of Westheimer 

post-12487-0-30655300-1399575829_thumb.j

This.

It can become similar to how majority of the people in and out of Houston call Uptown "the Galleria area". A massive (world class) mall basically went and defined an entire area (unfairly IMO). I've already started thinking of the part of Uptown inside the Loop as a different animal than the part outside the Loop. It's ironic that right after you cross the freeway, the roads instantly become wider and everything instantly becomes more suburbanized.

Calling the area River Oaks District would be an incredible opportunity for this area to market itself independently.

I agree this Mid Lane/Westcreek area will take on the name of it's most prominent destination - which will most likely end up being the River Oaks District.  Highland Village will always be considered a rather nice shopping center on the other side of the tracks.  I've actually never heard anyone say "the Highland Village area".

I've actually never heard anyone say "the Highland Village area".

That's elementary my dear Watson.

You don't hear the HV area because its not an area YET!

Why call it that when there is no shopping across the tracks? You are putting the cart before the horse. You think they called the galleria area the galleria area before all the stores and restaurants blossomed in the area?

Upper Kirby, and Greenway has proper names but you see so much River Oaks this abd river oaks that in those areas. Just marketing ploys.

i call it Highland Village area all the time because its not part of the Galleria or River Oaks area as it really is it's own stand alone place/area in my opinion! anyway...wow one whole page on what to call an area...geez haha!

• Like 1

^I've heard it called Highland Village area quite often too.  Its not the Galleria or Uptown, and it isn't River Oaks, so the nearest landmark is Highland Village itself.

Why not call it "The Highlands"  it isn't actually "high" in elevation - price maybe, but not elevation!

• Like 2