River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd. & 4702 Westheimer Rd.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

!!! whooOooOohooOoOoooo!

Come on, really?

I knew the owner of the shop there.  Remember, I lived on Westcreek for over 3 years.

The owner of Westcreek Market ran an honest business. He had cheaper prices than the Mobile or Exxon or whatever the hell it is at the opposite end of the street at San Felipe.

I am not stupid and I understand how private property works. Westcreek Market should have owned their land but we all know that any price within the last 10 years would have been absurd.

RIP Westcreek Market. If anyone around there wants a decent price on a bag of nuts or a 12 pack of coke or whatever, drive on down to the CVS, for as long as that might continue to exist.

The least you can do is say, "RIP". I actually lived there. I actually patronized businesses around there.

Hang me out to dry, I could give a shit. I care about honest men making an honest living. That includes: the operators of Westcreek Market, and even the workmen who build River Oaks District. 

It does not include people who judge from afar, living in suburb that's not even freaking HARRIS COUNTY, based on some wet dream that they have of the inner loop, that they might happen to drive through once or twice a year.

I just hope that not too many affordable places are plowed over every year or GUESS WHAT? We will wind up EXACTLY like California.

Go ahead and flame me, watch me care.

Edited by MikeRichardson

I agree with you, when in the area I'll

drop in buy something, thankful for it's

easy access. I'm betting tenants

living across the street are missing

their late night runs. Knowing

that the little hole in the wall was

always there for a quick snack or

a six-pack. RIP Westcreek Market.

18 hours ago, MikeRichardson said:

It does not include people who judge from afar, living in suburb that's not even freaking HARRIS COUNTY, based on some wet dream that they have of the inner loop, that they might happen to drive through once or twice a year.

I would imagine some of the people on here who talk about “building vertical” and “density” and “activated pedestrian realms” fit this category and barely ever spend more time inside the loop than they have to. 

They want to build high-rise towers everywhere so they have a pretty skyline to look at on their commute. 

But, would they actually want to live in them?

22 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

La Peep at 4702 Westheimer is on today’s demo report.

Is this apart of Phase II? Looks to be the same parking lot?

Yes its the phase 2 lot, but i'm not sure they're going to start phase 2 yet. Technically the Equinox hotel, which is moving forward, is not part of ROD phase 2.

4 minutes ago, LBC2HTX said:

Yes its the phase 2 lot, but i'm not sure they're going to start phase 2 yet. Technically the Equinox hotel, which is moving forward, is not part of ROD phase 2.

OliverMcMillan, the owner/developer, seems to think it is:
<p>The new 3.4-acre site, adjacent to River Oaks District and located at the northwest corner of Westcreek Lane and Westheimer, will be developed as part of Phase II of River Oaks District. The expansion will complement the existing site and the greater Houston-area with a luxury hotel alongside either an office or multi-family residential tower.</p> <br>OOliOl

The new 3.4-acre site, adjacent to River Oaks District and located at the northwest corner of Westcreek Lane and Westheimer, will be developed as part of Phase II of River Oaks District. The expansion will complement the existing site and the greater Houston-area with a luxury hotel alongside either an office or multi-family residential tower.

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places/projects/49/river_oaks_district_phase_ii

haha yep! I live in a condo almost directly across from the galleria and work a block from my condo. so there is no commute however my area is my favorite area of houston... however i spend time all over houston with my friends who live all over houston and they love spending time in my area as well. And I am a huge supporter of locally owned businesses (especially in the heights...) however the place that was demolished not only was a wreck outside with falling siding and gutters and the facade in general needed major tlc, but my slight ocd was triggered whenever i did go in that store that had the nicest owner of one of the filthiest stores I have ever been in. So................................yeah I am glad it's gone and hope the owner and his family find a nicer place to be in that they are proud of enough to keep cleaner! 

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

OliverMcMillan, the owner/developer, seems to think it is:
<p>The new 3.4-acre site, adjacent to River Oaks District and located at the northwest corner of Westcreek Lane and Westheimer, will be developed as part of Phase II of River Oaks District. The expansion will complement the existing site and the greater Houston-area with a luxury hotel alongside either an office or multi-family residential tower.</p> <br>OOliOl

The new 3.4-acre site, adjacent to River Oaks District and located at the northwest corner of Westcreek Lane and Westheimer, will be developed as part of Phase II of River Oaks District. The expansion will complement the existing site and the greater Houston-area with a luxury hotel alongside either an office or multi-family residential tower.

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places/projects/49/river_oaks_district_phase_ii

See Urbanizer's post two pages back:

With  the  successful  completion  in  2015  of  River  Oaks  District,   a  luxury  mixed-use  project  boasting  some  of  Houston’s  top  performing  retail  and  restaurant  destinations,  OliverMcMillan  is  looking  to  develop  a  parcel  adjacent  to  the  current  project. The  parcel  will  consist  of  267  luxury  apartment  homes  located  above  6,000  square  feet  of  retail  &  restaurant  space. The  new  development  will  also  be  located  next  to  a  new  luxury  hotel  tower  commencing  construction  in  late-2018.   Phase  II  is  anticipated  to  begin  construction  in  2020  with  a  2022  completion  date

Phase 2 begins construction in 2020, consists of Apts with GFR. The Luxury hotel is no longer consider part of phase 2. But this is just semantics. 

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, asubrt said:

There's construction signage up for another new restaurant, a Mediterranean place called Ouzo Bay. Looks like it will face Westheimer between Saint Bernard and Bisou.

Yup, Ouzo Bay and a sister concept, Loch Bar, were announced a while back but haven't started construction until recently. Until recently, the inside of each unoccupied space was literally dirt. So that explains why the new concepts have taken a while to open (e.g. MAD). 

On 10/11/2018 at 4:09 PM, thedistrict84 said:

They want to build high-rise towers everywhere so they have a pretty skyline to look at on their commute. 

But, would they actually want to live in them?

On 10/12/2018 at 9:11 AM, cspwal said:

Yes

Can't speak for everyone (I don't know everyone), but I've known plenty of people who were thrilled to move into high-rises, and even more thrilled to move out.
Among the reasons: that spectacular view, with its ever-changing tapestry, is a novelty that can wear off rather quickly. I've heard people say "Hell, after the first month, I barely even looked out the windows."
High-rises are buildings in which people commute. After a day of dealing with Houston traffic, many people just want to go home. Instead, there's the parking garage to deal with, the waiting for elevators, the unpredictable stopping and starting on other floors. You're home - but you're not really home. Those extra few minutes can be frustrating.

Then, there's the whole elevator etiquette question. Not everyone enjoys being cheek-to-jowl with strangers who use too much perfume (or not enough, if you get my drift). Awkward silences and awkward conversations aren't for everyone. Situations where multiple people are transporting dogs or armloads of groceries are amusing on sit-coms, but sometimes annoying in real life. Having to make two trips is maddening if it means riding an extra 30 or 40 (or more) floors. If you forget your sunglasses or Chap-Stick, often it's easier to buy replacements than to make that trek again. 
In other words, I'd qualify that "yes".

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

Then, there's the whole elevator etiquette question. Not everyone enjoys being cheek-to-jowl with strangers who use too much perfume (or not enough, if you get my drift). Awkward silences and awkward conversations aren't for everyone. Situations where multiple people are transporting dogs or armloads of groceries are amusing on sit-coms, but sometimes annoying in real life. 

"Hell is other people." 

- Jean-Paul Sartre, No Exit

3 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Can't speak for everyone (I don't know everyone), but I've known plenty of people who were thrilled to move into high-rises, and even more thrilled to move out.
Among the reasons: that spectacular view, with its ever-changing tapestry, is a novelty that can wear off rather quickly. I've heard people say "Hell, after the first month, I barely even looked out the windows."
High-rises are buildings in which people commute. After a day of dealing with Houston traffic, many people just want to go home. Instead, there's the parking garage to deal with, the waiting for elevators, the unpredictable stopping and starting on other floors. You're home - but you're not really home. Those extra few minutes can be frustrating.

Then, there's the whole elevator etiquette question. Not everyone enjoys being cheek-to-jowl with strangers who use too much perfume (or not enough, if you get my drift). Awkward silences and awkward conversations aren't for everyone. Situations where multiple people are transporting dogs or armloads of groceries are amusing on sit-coms, but sometimes annoying in real life. Having to make two trips is maddening if it means riding an extra 30 or 40 (or more) floors. If you forget your sunglasses or Chap-Stick, often it's easier to buy replacements than to make that trek again. 
In other words, I'd qualify that "yes".

And at about twice the cost of a house in the same area. There are people who have money to burn. I could afford it but I need a lot more money than I have before I start throwing it away.