Trae

River Oaks District - Retail/Office/Residential project - Westheimer @ Westcreek

Recommended Posts

ekdrm2d1    2

Thanks gene!

 

Looks like Westcreek Market will be no more after today.. or early tomorrow

Uuk2qAq.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ekdrm2d1    2

Is that sign on the fence for the demo company? Couldn’t read it but odds are they are displaying their company 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mollusk    1,678

^^ The signs look like they're for the fence rental company (based on size and placement)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CrockpotandGravel    4,336
On 7/5/2017 at 1:15 PM, Avossos said:
Quote

A New York-based developer plans to build a high-rise, mixed-use hotel in Houston's swanky River Oaks neighborhood. 

EQX River Oaks LLC has filed an application with the city planning and development commission to develop a 214-room Equinox hotel with ground floor restaurant space on Westcreek Lane, near the corner of Westheimer and Loop 610. 

VIDEO: Houston resident's security camera catches River Oaks condo demolition

 

The new project joins a long list of luxury high-rise developments in Houston's quickly densifying uptown area.

Equinox is an operator of high-end gyms that last year announced plans to build its own line of luxury fitness-focused hotels, with its first projects slated to open in Manhattan and Los Angeles by early 2019.

 

In addition to hotel rooms, the building will sport about 70 apartments.

 

http://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/New-Equinox-hotel-proposed-Houston-River-Oaks-11266890.php



"Update" on the Equinox hotel slated for River Oaks District in Houston on Westcreek Lane. There is no real update or any new news here. But I'll paste what was in the article below.


From Houston Business Journal, behind a paywall:
 

EQX River Oaks LLC, an entity associated with Equinox, filed an application with the city’s planning and development commission in 2017 for a hotel in the River Oaks District. Equinox was mum on its plans then, but sources now say the luxury fitness company is more actively moving forward on its plans to open a hotel in the River Oaks District.

Equinox declined to comment on its latest plans. California-based OliverMcMillan, which operates the River Oaks District, also declined to comment.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/09/21/equinox-actively-planning-hotel-in-river-oaks.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ekdrm2d1    2
On 9/2/2018 at 4:02 PM, mollusk said:

^^ The signs look like they're for the fence rental company (based on size and placement)

 

Looks to be 2 or 3 different company signs. One is for a developer, the demo company, and finally the fence company

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ekdrm2d1    2
On 8/4/2018 at 11:38 PM, LBC2HTX said:

Does anyone know what the booms were doing at steak48.

 

Steak 48 looks tremendous with the greenery on the balcony. Pairs well with the black exterior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

!!! whooOooOohooOoOoooo!

 

Come on, really?

 

 I knew the owner of the shop there.  Remember, I lived on Westcreek for over 3 years.

 

The owner of Westcreek Market ran an honest business. He had cheaper prices than the Mobile or Exxon or whatever the hell it is at the opposite end of the street at San Felipe.

 

I am not stupid and I understand how private property works. Westcreek Market should have owned their land but we all know that any price within the last 10 years would have been absurd.

 

RIP Westcreek Market. If anyone around there wants a decent price on a bag of nuts or a 12 pack of coke or whatever, drive on down to the CVS, for as long as that might continue to exist.

 

The least you can do is say, "RIP". I actually lived there. I actually patronized businesses around there.

 

Hang me out to dry, I could give a shit. I care about honest men making an honest living. That includes: the operators of Westcreek Market, and even the workmen who build River Oaks District. 

 

It does not include people who judge from afar, living in suburb that's not even freaking HARRIS COUNTY, based on some wet dream that they have of the inner loop, that they might happen to drive through once or twice a year.

 

I just hope that not too many affordable places are plowed over every year or GUESS WHAT? We will wind up EXACTLY like California.

 

Go ahead and flame me, watch me care.

Edited by MikeRichardson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderators    12

I agree with you, when in the area I'll

drop in buy something, thankful for it's

easy access. I'm betting tenants

living across the street are missing

their late night runs. Knowing

that the little hole in the wall was

always there for a quick snack or

a six-pack. RIP Westcreek Market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gene    948

RIP indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MikeRichardson said:

It does not include people who judge from afar, living in suburb that's not even freaking HARRIS COUNTY, based on some wet dream that they have of the inner loop, that they might happen to drive through once or twice a year.

 

I would imagine some of the people on here who talk about “building vertical” and “density” and “activated pedestrian realms” fit this category and barely ever spend more time inside the loop than they have to. 

 

They want to build high-rise towers everywhere so they have a pretty skyline to look at on their commute. 

 

But, would they actually want to live in them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ekdrm2d1    2

La Peep at 4702 Westheimer is on today’s demo report.

 

Is this apart of Phase II? Looks to be the same parking lot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LBC2HTX    85
22 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

La Peep at 4702 Westheimer is on today’s demo report.

 

Is this apart of Phase II? Looks to be the same parking lot?

Yes its the phase 2 lot, but i'm not sure they're going to start phase 2 yet. Technically the Equinox hotel, which is moving forward, is not part of ROD phase 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Houston19514    2,458
4 minutes ago, LBC2HTX said:

Yes its the phase 2 lot, but i'm not sure they're going to start phase 2 yet. Technically the Equinox hotel, which is moving forward, is not part of ROD phase 2.

 

OliverMcMillan, the owner/developer, seems to think it is:
<p>The new 3.4-acre site, adjacent to River Oaks District and located at the northwest corner of Westcreek Lane and Westheimer, will be developed as part of Phase II of River Oaks District. The expansion will complement the existing site and the greater Houston-area with a luxury hotel alongside either an office or multi-family residential tower.</p> <br>OOliOl

The new 3.4-acre site, adjacent to River Oaks District and located at the northwest corner of Westcreek Lane and Westheimer, will be developed as part of Phase II of River Oaks District. The expansion will complement the existing site and the greater Houston-area with a luxury hotel alongside either an office or multi-family residential tower.

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places/projects/49/river_oaks_district_phase_ii

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cspwal    2,140
17 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

They want to build high-rise towers everywhere so they have a pretty skyline to look at on their commute. 

 

But, would they actually want to live in them?

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gene    948

haha yep! I live in a condo almost directly across from the galleria and work a block from my condo. so there is no commute however my area is my favorite area of houston... however i spend time all over houston with my friends who live all over houston and they love spending time in my area as well. And I am a huge supporter of locally owned businesses (especially in the heights...) however the place that was demolished not only was a wreck outside with falling siding and gutters and the facade in general needed major tlc, but my slight ocd was triggered whenever i did go in that store that had the nicest owner of one of the filthiest stores I have ever been in. So................................yeah I am glad it's gone and hope the owner and his family find a nicer place to be in that they are proud of enough to keep cleaner! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ekdrm2d1    2

Anyone know if La Pepe will actually start demolition today? Wondering if I should take an extra 5 minutes and drive by

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LBC2HTX    85
4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 

OliverMcMillan, the owner/developer, seems to think it is:
<p>The new 3.4-acre site, adjacent to River Oaks District and located at the northwest corner of Westcreek Lane and Westheimer, will be developed as part of Phase II of River Oaks District. The expansion will complement the existing site and the greater Houston-area with a luxury hotel alongside either an office or multi-family residential tower.</p> <br>OOliOl

The new 3.4-acre site, adjacent to River Oaks District and located at the northwest corner of Westcreek Lane and Westheimer, will be developed as part of Phase II of River Oaks District. The expansion will complement the existing site and the greater Houston-area with a luxury hotel alongside either an office or multi-family residential tower.

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places/projects/49/river_oaks_district_phase_ii

 

See Urbanizer's post two pages back:

 

Quote

With  the  successful  completion  in  2015  of  River  Oaks  District,   a  luxury  mixed-use  project  boasting  some  of  Houston’s  top  performing  retail  and  restaurant  destinations,  OliverMcMillan  is  looking  to  develop  a  parcel  adjacent  to  the  current  project. The  parcel  will  consist  of  267  luxury  apartment  homes  located  above  6,000  square  feet  of  retail  &  restaurant  space. The  new  development  will  also  be  located  next  to  a  new  luxury  hotel  tower  commencing  construction  in  late-2018.   Phase  II  is  anticipated  to  begin  construction  in  2020  with  a  2022  completion  date

 

Phase 2 begins construction in 2020, consists of Apts with GFR. The Luxury hotel is no longer consider part of phase 2. But this is just semantics. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
asubrt    280
13 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Anyone know if La Pepe will actually start demolition today? Wondering if I should take an extra 5 minutes and drive by

 

No demolition yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ekdrm2d1    2

Beautiful holiday decorations

 

Hv2hd5G.jpg

 

Noticed Upper Kirby put theirs out as well. They are white/led circular balls around the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
asubrt    280

There's construction signage up for another new restaurant, a Mediterranean place called Ouzo Bay. Looks like it will face Westheimer between Saint Bernard and Bisou.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LBC2HTX    85
15 hours ago, asubrt said:

There's construction signage up for another new restaurant, a Mediterranean place called Ouzo Bay. Looks like it will face Westheimer between Saint Bernard and Bisou.

Yup, Ouzo Bay and a sister concept, Loch Bar, were announced a while back but haven't started construction until recently. Until recently, the inside of each unoccupied space was literally dirt. So that explains why the new concepts have taken a while to open (e.g. MAD). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ekdrm2d1    2

On the 9th floor of the Stage garage.

 

Got some great shots. I’ll be sure to post them later 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CrockpotandGravel    4,336
On 11/4/2018 at 7:50 PM, asubrt said:

There's construction signage up for another new restaurant, a Mediterranean place called Ouzo Bay. Looks like it will face Westheimer between Saint Bernard and Bisou.

 

On 11/5/2018 at 11:27 AM, LBC2HTX said:

Yup, Ouzo Bay and a sister concept, Loch Bar, were announced a while back but haven't started construction until recently. Until recently, the inside of each unoccupied space was literally dirt. So that explains why the new concepts have taken a while to open (e.g. MAD). 







Yes. News of Ouzo Bar and Loch Bar are old. We discovered it and posted about in January  (use the search)

Here are the posts from several pages back in this thread:
 

On 1/3/2018 at 9:58 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

From Twitter:

 

Two restaurants from Baltimore are opening this year in River Oaks District (@RODistrict): Loch Bar (seafood) and Ouzo Bay (Greek).

https://twitter.com/chicchickeats/status/948559629130313731



Here's the site plan showing where the two restaurants are going behind Le Colonial. Also shown is East Hampton Sandwich Co. next to Hopdoddy Burger Bar.
J4F49r7.jpg

 

 

On 2/6/2018 at 8:13 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:



More on Loch Bar and Ouzo Bay opening in River Oaks District in Houston.

From Eater Houston


Atlas Restaurant Group’s Alex Smith tells Eater that both restaurants will occupy a sprawling 11,000 square feet of space in Houston’s River Oaks District, taking over the entire bottom floor of the Equinox building at 4444 Westheimer Road. Ouzo Bay, an upscale Mediterranean restaurant with a focus on top-quality seafood, will take up about 7,000 square feet, offering indoor and outdoor seating for about 225 diners.

Ouzo Bay first opened in Baltimore in 2012, where the restaurant quickly racked up accolades from local publications. “We’re flying in fresh fish from all of the world,” Smith says. “Whether it’s Dover sole wild-caught in Holland, bronzino from Greece, or fresh out of the Gulf.” Smith describes Ouzo Bay’s vibe as “sexy-cool,” complete with a large fish display to show off the day’s catch and a DJ playing tunes in the background. Fans of Steak 48, one of River Oaks’ hottest see-and-be-seen restaurants, will likely find a lot to like about Ouzo Bay.


 

Sister concept Loch Bar, a whiskey-focused bar with an equally seafood-focused menu, will open adjacent to Ouzo Bay, occupying 4,000 square feet. Smith plans to offer Texas’ widest selection of whiskeys at Loch Bar, and expects to have at least 500 different bottles on the list. A selection of fresh oysters from the Gulf and beyond will be on offer, along with sandwiches and classic plates like Maryland crab cakes served with Old Bay remoulade.

 


...Both Ouzo Bay and Loch Bar are expected to open in November 2018.

 

 

https://houston.eater.com/2018/1/26/16934040/ouzo-bay-loch-bar-seafood-opening-houston-atlas-restaurant-group

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dbigtex56    302
On 10/11/2018 at 4:09 PM, thedistrict84 said:

They want to build high-rise towers everywhere so they have a pretty skyline to look at on their commute. 

 

But, would they actually want to live in them?

 

On 10/12/2018 at 9:11 AM, cspwal said:

Yes

Can't speak for everyone (I don't know everyone), but I've known plenty of people who were thrilled to move into high-rises, and even more thrilled to move out.
Among the reasons: that spectacular view, with its ever-changing tapestry, is a novelty that can wear off rather quickly. I've heard people say "Hell, after the first month, I barely even looked out the windows."
High-rises are buildings in which people commute. After a day of dealing with Houston traffic, many people just want to go home. Instead, there's the parking garage to deal with, the waiting for elevators, the unpredictable stopping and starting on other floors. You're home - but you're not really home. Those extra few minutes can be frustrating.

Then, there's the whole elevator etiquette question. Not everyone enjoys being cheek-to-jowl with strangers who use too much perfume (or not enough, if you get my drift). Awkward silences and awkward conversations aren't for everyone. Situations where multiple people are transporting dogs or armloads of groceries are amusing on sit-coms, but sometimes annoying in real life. Having to make two trips is maddening if it means riding an extra 30 or 40 (or more) floors. If you forget your sunglasses or Chap-Stick, often it's easier to buy replacements than to make that trek again. 
In other words, I'd qualify that "yes".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mkultra25    606
1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

Then, there's the whole elevator etiquette question. Not everyone enjoys being cheek-to-jowl with strangers who use too much perfume (or not enough, if you get my drift). Awkward silences and awkward conversations aren't for everyone. Situations where multiple people are transporting dogs or armloads of groceries are amusing on sit-coms, but sometimes annoying in real life. 

 

"Hell is other people." 

- Jean-Paul Sartre, No Exit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jgriff    361
3 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

 

Can't speak for everyone (I don't know everyone), but I've known plenty of people who were thrilled to move into high-rises, and even more thrilled to move out.
Among the reasons: that spectacular view, with its ever-changing tapestry, is a novelty that can wear off rather quickly. I've heard people say "Hell, after the first month, I barely even looked out the windows."
High-rises are buildings in which people commute. After a day of dealing with Houston traffic, many people just want to go home. Instead, there's the parking garage to deal with, the waiting for elevators, the unpredictable stopping and starting on other floors. You're home - but you're not really home. Those extra few minutes can be frustrating.

Then, there's the whole elevator etiquette question. Not everyone enjoys being cheek-to-jowl with strangers who use too much perfume (or not enough, if you get my drift). Awkward silences and awkward conversations aren't for everyone. Situations where multiple people are transporting dogs or armloads of groceries are amusing on sit-coms, but sometimes annoying in real life. Having to make two trips is maddening if it means riding an extra 30 or 40 (or more) floors. If you forget your sunglasses or Chap-Stick, often it's easier to buy replacements than to make that trek again. 
In other words, I'd qualify that "yes".

And at about twice the cost of a house in the same area. There are people who have money to burn. I could afford it but I need a lot more money than I have before I start throwing it away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
H-Town Man    2,298
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, mkultra25 said:

 

"Hell is other people." 

- Jean-Paul Sartre, No Exit

 

Cheery.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Houston19514    2,458
On 11/17/2018 at 0:29 PM, dbigtex56 said:

 

Can't speak for everyone (I don't know everyone), but I've known plenty of people who were thrilled to move into high-rises, and even more thrilled to move out.
Among the reasons: that spectacular view, with its ever-changing tapestry, is a novelty that can wear off rather quickly. I've heard people say "Hell, after the first month, I barely even looked out the windows."
High-rises are buildings in which people commute. After a day of dealing with Houston traffic, many people just want to go home. Instead, there's the parking garage to deal with, the waiting for elevators, the unpredictable stopping and starting on other floors. You're home - but you're not really home. Those extra few minutes can be frustrating.

Then, there's the whole elevator etiquette question. Not everyone enjoys being cheek-to-jowl with strangers who use too much perfume (or not enough, if you get my drift). Awkward silences and awkward conversations aren't for everyone. Situations where multiple people are transporting dogs or armloads of groceries are amusing on sit-coms, but sometimes annoying in real life. Having to make two trips is maddening if it means riding an extra 30 or 40 (or more) floors. If you forget your sunglasses or Chap-Stick, often it's easier to buy replacements than to make that trek again. 
In other words, I'd qualify that "yes".

 

Interesting.  My experience is the exact opposite.  Every person I know who has moved into a high-rise absolutely loves it and has no interest in moving out. One couple I know moved into an Uptown high-rise "temporarily" while they remodeled their single-family house; they loved  high-rise living so much they ended up staying there and selling their remodeled house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mkultra25    606
9 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

 

Cheery.

 

 

Particularly when you imagine Sartre kicking his heels up and whistling "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ekdrm2d1    2

On Instagram I saw physical model of the three Westcreek residental towers. The model also had a full development across the street. Where the surface lot(s) are. 

 

Are there 3 or 4 midrises planned? 

 

This isn’t the D/C Partners office bldg. Not on the same street 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LBC2HTX    85

Getting shorter? Gables Westcreek is 15 stories, so about the same height as The Wilshire. The building(s) to the north looks about the same height and the one fronting San Felipe (which is supposed to be an office building), across from Arabella is about 8, which seems right as RD doesn’t want to obstruct his condo views. These building were always in the plans.

 

The building(s) in-between gables and the office building are likely the two high-rise apartment buildings referenced in this 4 year old article. 

 

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/buzz/news/286/tall_buildings_to_rise_near_river_oaks_district

Edited by LBC2HTX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Triton    9,105
1 hour ago, BigFootsSocks said:

And why do they keep getting shorter damnit

 

So the other towers still have great views of the Galleria?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now