River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd. & 4702 Westheimer Rd.

The writing is on the wall. The land values between Buffalo Bayou and 59 South, all the way from downtown to the loop, are going to go up. They have already gone up in the past year. This will cause rents to rise and will cause more older structures to be torn down.  There is nothing special about Westcreek and if it is a good business decision then it should come down. I know it sucks if you're a renter, but if I were the owners I would be trying to do everything possible to maximize my profits. 

Whatever you decide to do, I hope things work out for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Like other movie eateries, are ticket prices low or the same as regular theatres since they expect people to buy food or will the ticket prices still be more expensive because it's luxurious?

It's more expensive than most, I think this one is around $20 per ticket, plus an additional $10 or so for the premium seats. There's one now in Austin at the Domain, it replaced a similar theatre called Gold Class Cinemas. I tried to see a movie there once on a normal weekend night and the ticket was ridiculously expensive, something like $50. This one seems a bit more reasonable, but still pretty pricey for a movie in my opinion.

• Like 1

It's more expensive than most, I think this one is around $20 per ticket, plus an additional $10 or so for the premium seats. There's one now in Austin at the Domain, it replaced a similar theatre called Gold Class Cinemas. I tried to see a movie there once on a normal weekend night and the ticket was ridiculously expensive, something like $50. This one seems a bit more reasonable, but still pretty pricey for a movie in my opinion.

It's actually not that bad. Those are the listed "non-member"prices, but considering that "membership" is free, I doubt that anyone pays those prices. The "member"prices look like they are $12 and $18 for premium.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The list I saw on their web site (not sure if its the same one you guys saw) just mentioned some tenants that their leasing agent had brought to other OliverMcMillan developments.  Looking closely at the updated site plan, I noticed several generic-sounding names that were repeated in different spots.  So, I guess those are just notional labels.

That said, I'm excited about this development. It looks like it will have a sizable collection (80 or so) of retail and restaurant tenants.  I wish they had kept the high-end hotel that was in the earlier plan, though.

I think the developer and investors will do well, if they live up to their mission statement.  It would be a nice change from the conservative, bland developments we've mostly been getting for a while here in Houston.

"Everything we do at OliverMcMillan is viewed as an opportunity to mold the unexpected into an art form. We create memorable destinations and our creations are a unique blend of glamour, sophistication, charm and intimacy that activates the senses and delivers an experience that defines the spirit of contemporary place. The essence of OliverMcMillan and our projects is reflected in our belief in design and its power to defy what can be planned, plotted and programmed, where the combination of strategy and visual artistry creates memorable experiences. OliverMcMillan’s philosophy is guided by strategy, market intelligence, rigorous planning and rational thinking. We partner with like-minded visionaries who have the courage, will and creativity to redefine the categories in which they compete."

• Like 1

Is there some kind of permit or something they have to obtain before demolishing these buildings? They have literally done nothing for two months except put up a fence with green cloth over it and those big signs. They've been paying for a guard 24/7 to keep out squatters. They have literally done nothing else. The lights are still on and everything. There are still air conditioners on the roofs (I'd think those would have to be removed properly first due to the refrigerant). I haven't seen anyone removing appliances or anything. I think the fitness equipment is still there too.

Is this typical?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are signs up on the outer wall along Westheimer. No visible demo work yet:

DSC_0702_zps7cdb7368.jpg

DSC_0701_zps86c7b8e0.jpg

This is one of my favorite projects right now. Along with Astoria. But the real reason I wanted to comment is this photo. Westheimer Road with not a single car in the shot! Impressive!

This is one of my favorite projects right now. Along with Astoria. But the real reason I wanted to comment is this photo. Westheimer Road with not a single car in the shot! Impressive!

I stood there for a while to get them so there were no cars. They were taken a few minutes apart, and in both there is a car or two literally half a second from entering the frame. ;)

Edited by Golyadkin

• 1 month later...

Just an observation:

Anyone with serious 'traffic concerns' should probably just do themselves a favor and stay out of Houston. 'Traffic concerns' are a part of Houston's DNA at this point. It has been that way for at least 50 years and it is only going to get more 'concerning' in the foreseeable future. But so what? Along with the summer heat and mosquitos, we love Houston anyway. And so far the the 'traffic concerns' haven't prevented Houston from attracting new residents and new businesses on a monumental scale.

As we all know, almost everything in Houston revolves around necessity and money. Until 'traffic concerns' start to impede on growth and the Houston economy (which it obviously has never done as we continue to boom) I seriously believe that people will just continue to put up with it as they have for the last 50 years of exceptional prosperity. In other words, I seriously doubt anything significant is going to be done to address the 'traffic concerns' until someone figures out that it is affecting our collective bottom line. 

I welcome opposing points of view on this because I WANT to be wrong. I want to see rails lines connecting all parts of the inner city and greater metro with a stop on every other corner. And I don't care if they raise taxes to do it. A fact of life: Quality cost! I also want more freeways and the Grand Parkway completion. Houston is epic. We need it ALL!

It's just very hard to visualize it when there are so many conflicting views of what kind of city Houston should be depending on whether you are a Houston Looper or Houston Suburbanite. And both sides can be so f'ing CHEAP and selfserving! "Not with my tax dollars, you don't..." "Not in my backyard..." ect.  Both sides seem to cancel each other out, giving us half built rail lines and half built freeways. So then there is nothing left to do except complain on the internet and channel 13 about 'traffic concerns' while another 100 people (and their cars) just moved to town today.

Thank you for reading my rant and have a nice day.  :)

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 5