HAIF - Houston's original social media

River Oaks District: Retail/Office/Residential Project - Westheimer at Westcreek

On 8/10/2016 at 2:07 PM, DrLan34 said:

-

I'm betting that nothing happens to any of the buildings until they've significantly preleased the office building and /or signed up the major hotel deal they're seeking.  And I'll bet it'll be 'and,' because I've heard a normally reliable source say that Equinox Hotel division is extremely interested in the location for a successor hotel to the one they are building now in LA.  What is interesting to me is the tremendous amount of work that would be involved in getting all those easements going through the currently surveyed site plan moved!  Gotta  move em to even come close to building the necessary footprint that OM has planned.  

Love the gelato place, too.  Pumped about going to see Magnificent Seven at the iPic this weekend, and I'm curious to see how it compares to the brilliant original with Yul Brynner and many of Hollywood's all-time stars (McQueen, Eli Wallach, Jim Coburn, Bronson, and Robt Vaughn).  If you have never seen the original, do.  I don't know how one does that, but it's a great classic film that I discovered on TV reruns years later.  Hope it's better than the remake of Ben Hur, about which I heard so many bad reviews I decided to catch it on cable later.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sup girl wanna check out that rooftop bar     peep the planning commission agenda for deets

This ones for you monarch.. Heh

JLL released new renderings. https://leasespaces.jll.com/?propertyId=752474-lease      

Posted Images

Since the jewelry-store heist earlier in September, RoD seems to have hired more security guards.  I've walked there several times and they are quite visible.  Another good thing is that they look very professional.  Didn't think to notice whether they're armed, but I think their visibility should help deter crooks in the future. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I dont recall seeing this posted...but this just opened this month and is located in that weird building at 2400 Midlane off Westheimer just east of River Oaks District and honestly i didn't like or understand this building until this opened...i drove by the other night and really liked the "neighborhood feel" of this place...and the place was buzzing too! i was shocked haha! 

http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/first-look-at-eloise-nichols-grill-and-liquors-8952219

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Any word on the rumored Equinox Hotel? Would have a huge impact on ROD.

^^^ i'm praying that at some point this year OLIVER MCMILLAN shall indeed announce the new hospitality brand aligned for this magnificent mixed use development.  fingers crossed....

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The new retail center on Westheimer, between Mid Lane and West Lane, will see the move and reopening of LePeep Restaurant.  It'll be on West Lane toward the back.  Another sign of River Oaks District expansion?  Perhaps, but as others have noted, it all depends on the ink drying on hotel deal and or a major office tenant to anchor.

The new fusion (Asian-Mexican) restaurant in ROD is taking forever to build out, too.  On Bettis in the back near the iPic.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

Is this part of ROD though? The site plan doesn't stops short of where the steakhouse (I think that's what it is) is, correct? Or am I making things up

^^^ phase II of ROD.

• Like 2

http://swamplot.com/the-equinox-hotel-moving-in-a-few-doors-down-from-the-equinox-fitness-club-in-the-river-oaks-district/2017-07-07/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+swamplot+(Swamplot%3A+Houston's+Real+Estate+Landscape)

equinox-map.jpg

river-oaks-district-phase-ii-old-render.

^^^ SWAMPLOT'S birdseye view.. of the lot and concept rendering right across from ROD of the proposed EQUINOX HOTEL RIVER OAKS.

Edited by monarch
  • Like 5
17 hours ago, monarch said:

Swamplot says this is a rendering of the "imagined hotel" from 2015, long before Equinox got involved. Although the small first floor plan shown on Swamplot (that's actually from Equinox) argues that the building should be quite slender, and thus tall. Fingers crossed.

• Like 6
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Tee-hee-hee. I didn't want to bother Urb and ask him in a message. I probably annoy him with my questions. I took my chances asking publicly.

Feel free to ask me anyting. Eagerly waiting for more on this one, searched to no avail. :ph34r: If I come across something it will be posted here shortly after.

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...

Went to CAVO Coffee this afternoon.  The ROD! Arabella and other buildings were just glaring over the shopping center.

Nice bench

l6VKEan.jpg

Arabella & Amegy

c1b1S9i.jpg

The Wilshire and Arabella

Kv75QbT.jpg

CAVO Coffee. The (once) Chef turned Barista mentioned their spot at ROD is only a pop-up location. For a few months. I believe they're testing out the fit? Seeing if a high end coffee shop does well at a luxury shopping center.

voqLIHi.jpg

Since it's a pop-up location they do not serve espresso drinks in glass. To-go cups only.

UkVkn01.jpg

Edited by Twitter1
  • Like 9
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, swtsig said:

Brookfield has quietly been active outside of downtown

I sure hope they are grabbing those pieces of land off the bayou...

* River Oaks District V2 at Shepard and Dallas st?

* Buys out Regent Square?

* Both?

23 minutes ago, Avossos said:

I sure hope they are grabbing those pieces of land off the bayou...

* River Oaks District V2 at Shepard and Dallas st?

* Buys out Regent Square?

* Both?

Buy out Target and expand the existing. They would have to pay way above market for the land though since they are locked in. Unless they worked out some sort of deal with Target a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 2/9/2018 at 9:17 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Another restaurant opening this year at River Oaks District.

From Eater Houston:

The minds behind BCN Taste & Tradition, Houston’s finest Spanish eatery, are planning to open a brand new restaurant that will focus on pinxtos in the River Oaks District.

Sebastian Laval, the general manager of the forthcoming restaurant, tells Eater that it will be called MAD. “It’s the airport code for Madrid,” Laval says. “It’s also a play on the word “mad” as in mad-crazy, because we want the experience to be intensely good,” he explains. The restaurant will set up shop at 4444 Westheimer Road, in the space that was formerly going to be occupied by Arizona-based restaurant Sumomaya, which quietly squashed its plans to open in River Oaks.

“We are going to be serving Spanish small bites and finger foods inspired by the tradition of the pinxtos,” says Laval. “Pinxto means ‘something that is supposed to be stabbed with a toothpick,’ but it’s evolved so that now it’s more finger foods and small plates. We’ll be taking the pinxto tradition and being creative with it. There will also be large plates to share,” he says. Inspiration for the upcoming restaurant was gathered over weeks of intense travel to Spain, during which Laval, accompanied by owners Ignacio Torras and chef/owner Luis Roger, visited more than 40 restaurants in cities across Italy.

When it opens, MAD will offer lunch, brunch, dinner and late night service. The beverage program will consist of beer, wine and creative cocktails.

“We’re not re-creating. It’s inspired. It’s not going to be too regional. It’s a combination of things. We’re not re-doing proper traditional food from a region. It’s going to be food that’s inspired from our trip to Spain.” And, he says, “We want it to be really fun.”

MAD is expected to debut in River Oaks before the end of 2018.

https://houston.eater.com/2018/2/9/16993288/bcn-taste-tradition-expanding-mad-madrid

So I know they’re supposed to be opening their new concept “MAD”, but signs on the storefront say “coming soon BCN Taste & Tradition”... Wonder if they changed their mind. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

So I know they’re supposed to be opening their new concept “MAD”, but signs on the storefront say “coming soon BCN Taste & Tradition”... Wonder if they changed their mind. 

I wonder if they might move BCN to River Oaks District, and open MAD in the current BCN space.

Given the other restaurant tenants in ROD, BCN might be more of a match, whereas MAD could serve as a useful neighborhood restaurant in the current BCN space.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Office component for phase II has been given the axe, hotel begins this Fall

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places/projects/49/river_oaks_district_phase_ii

So those are the renderings of the condos / apartment homes, right? Do we have an updated rendering of the hotel? 

The latest rendering for the hotel I could find:

rod_phase-2_11920x1080.jpg

Edited by AREJAY
  • Like 4

The most exciting news about all of this is possibly the fact that the run down convenience store will finally be torn down haha! I wonder how soon that will happen!? :o:lol:

• Like 2

There had been talk of a luxury boutique hotel on the empty lot north of ROD, across Bettis.  If the hotel mentioned above is in the property to the west, formerly occupied by Sullivan's and Le Peep, I suppose it might preempt the other one.  I also agree that it will be great to see the old convenience store and nail salon building go away. 

Edited by ArchFan
  • Like 3
9 minutes ago, ArchFan said:

There had been talk of a luxury boutique hotel on the empty lot north of ROD, across Bettis.  If the hotel mentioned above is in the property to the west, formerly occupied by Sullivan's and Le Peep, I suppose it might preempt the other one.  I also agree that it will be great to see the old convenience store and nail salon building go away. 

Yes, there was/is a hotel proposed for the corner lot next to the Wilshire. The Equinox hotel, is the proposed hotel going in adjacent to ROD Phase II. 

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/06-14-18-taverna-pizzeria-and-risotteria-closed-river-oaks-district/

With all that in mind, don't expect the Taverna space to remain vacant for long. Two CultureMap sources claim that the property already has a new owner that's planning a new concept that could open in the later summer or early fall. Expect more details on that as soon as they're available.

Not surprised that Taverna closed. My guess is a sushi spot opens in its place. 

• Highrise Tower changed the title to River Oaks District: Retail/Office/Residential Project - Westheimer at Westcreek