River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd.

Really? No. I was a bit tired when I wrote the original post, but the basic premise still stands. ROD just isn't that damned fantastic.

By that train of thought, Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive isn't that damned fantastic...because River Oaks District/Houston Galleria is to Houston, what Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive is to L.A. With the exception of about 5 luxury shops, both luxury retail meccas are comprised of the exact same roster of luxury retailers. And those 5 are opening at ROD. L.A. and Houston are clearly in the top 5 cities in America for luxury retail.

Really? No. I was a bit tired when I wrote the original post, but the basic premise still stands. ROD just isn't that damned fantastic.

It's pretty damned fantastic compared to the apartments that were there... It's not as grand as it was once planned. But at least it's finally happening (and well likely get some high rises after all, in Phase 2). Not all of the pre recession projects were so lucky.

It's pretty damned fantastic compared to the apartments that were there... It's not as grand as it was once planned. But at least it's finally happening (and well likely get some high rises after all, in Phase 2). Not all of the pre recession projects were so lucky.

Agreed. Phase 2 and the demolition of Target will allow for several towers, and is probably where the Ritz Carlton will decide to build.

Agreed. Phase 2 and the demolition of Target will allow for several towers, and is probably where the Ritz Carlton will decide to build.

woah... the demolition of target? didnt they just build that thing within the last 10 years? lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet.. but i agree a nice high end hotel tower will hopefully come back into the plans when they figure out new the 3.4 acre lot.

woah... the demolition of target? didnt they just build that thing within the last 10 years? lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet.. but i agree a nice high end hotel tower will hopefully come back into the plans when they figure out new the 3.4 acre lot.

Target will be gone by Superbowl. Everything around it has gone luxe...they're out of place now. It's safe to say developers have plans in the works, just not announced yet. Edited by HTOWN LIVE
  • Like 1

I have heard that the Target on San Felipe is a very profitable store and that that makes it unlikely they will let go of that property anytime soon.  OTOH, it seems to me that they have way more land tied up in parking lot than they will ever need.

Perhaps they would sell off the excess land before they would close the store and sell that land?

what if target is secretly holding out until ROD and Westcreek urbanize that way, Target can build its first urban format store in the middle of highrise land. 

while that would be awesome.. idk. Target already has urban format stores. including i believe a multi story store in downtown Minneapolis? but i would be down with the Target redeveloping into a smaller footprint store in the podium of a few highrises/another mixed use development.

while that would be awesome.. idk. Target already has urban format stores. including i believe a multi story store in downtown Minneapolis? but i would be down with the Target redeveloping into a smaller footprint store in the podium of a few highrises/another mixed use development.

Yeah that's what I meant by urban format, I do apologize for my terrible word choice, and duplicate posts. 

• Like 1

I agree that it would be nice to see the Target property redeveloped as a whole by someone/something that thinks about the overall whole of the development and how it fits in with its neighbors.  But ... well, this is Houston, and based on past experience, I don't pin my hopes on that wish.  To those who are offended by it, I apologize for being negative, but my expectation is that it would be another mishmash, just like what is coming out of Cypress Real Estate Advisors' sale of their properties.  I.e., well, we are in Austin and it coulda turned out a heckuva lot better if the 2008 recession hadn't happened, but (according to them) well it's only Houston and we need to unload our investment there while the market is high.

I live, walk, and work in the area, so I hope I am overly pessimistic.  I think I am more optimistic than MikeRichardson, who's opinion I respect ;-) but I am hoping that we are both overly pessimistic ...

Edited by ArchFan

Yes W Hotel is also considering ROD. The next wave of big development announcements in Houston are going to really blow our minds.

4006-continue.jpg

W Hotel and The Ritz Carlton will announce, the residential tower adjoining the new Saks Fifth Avenue, the new tower proposed for the lakes on post oak, the tower and development at post oak and Richmond that could be as tall as Williams Tower, the perennial on post oak and other towers for Blvd place, we know something tall is coming at San felipe and post oak, New hotel and tower and conference center behind Rolls Royce dealership, the towers and hotels in phase 2 of ROD, the new towers coming in the massive uptown park redevelopment, the high rise living coming to The Woodlands, etc...and downtown which is already hot will be on fire...the planned major downtown retail corridor, and on and on.

• Like 1

Sounds like you wasted a lot of gas for nothing. We've got both a Richardson Street and Road in Houston.

cheers-to-you-1009-lg-30622952.jpg

ok mikerichardson look.  you do not know me, i do not know you... therefore, i shall take the high road,

and consider that maybe you were a bit inebriated the night that you decided to draw first blood.

i have hereby decided to take the initiative to offer you a TOAST.. to the future of my beloved ROD!

as you may now attest, my good pal HTOWNLIVE, has now entered this momentous thread, carrying the most splendid news.

therefore, i have now become much too thrilled to continue this silly season recourse.

therefore, i hereby salute you mikerichardson.  may the future of ROD, be hereby filled with the happiest of patrons...

Edited by monarch
  • Like 3

W Hotel and The Ritz Carlton will announce, the residential tower adjoining the new Saks Fifth Avenue, the new tower proposed for the lakes on post oak, the tower and development at post oak and Richmond that could be as tall as Williams Tower, the perennial on post oak and other towers for Blvd place, we know something tall is coming at San felipe and post oak, New hotel and tower and conference center behind Rolls Royce dealership, the towers and hotels in phase 2 of ROD, the new towers coming in the massive uptown park redevelopment, the high rise living coming to The Woodlands, etc...and downtown which is already hot will be on fire...the planned major downtown retail corridor, and on and on.

HTown2412.jpg

i hate to patronize folks!

i always feel that most people are hereby astute enough to see right through it.  not to mention, it makes some people a bit uncomfortable.

however, HTOWN LIVE, has now entered this particular thread bearing much sought after details, regarding the W HOTEL vs RITZ CARLTON and amongst others.

my longstanding stance has now been dissolved.  HTOWN LIVE, please pal.. consider yourself patronized!

you are indeed most generous.  you are hereby gracious upon your approach to delivering us the best development news possible.  hey pal, you're the best!

the last time we spoke, you were hereby delivering news to us regarding the long anticipated redevelopment of the sakowitz building into a prospective bloomingdales.

here you are again, delivering to us a bit more splendid news regarding our long sought after aforementioned luxury hotels.  actually, i was hereby getting

to the point that i was thinking that maybe the RITZ had just given up on houston.  we certainly understand that your very welcomed information, has to be

handled professionally vs discreetly.  however, we say THANK U as per your trust in us... and for always delivering the best details. 

Edited by monarch

oh, before i forget.. HTOWN LIVE, has hereby indicated that W HOTEL vs RITZ shall announce.  my query to H is... does these two highly anticipated hotels plan to be in operation as per the forthcoming superbowl?  is there a close time table as per their forthcoming announcements?  there are indeed many of us, that are curious about this...  

Edited by monarch

HTown2412.jpg

i hate to patronize folks!

i always feel that most people are hereby astute enough to see right through it.  not to mention, it makes some people a bit uncomfortable.

however, HTOWN LIVE, has now entered this particular thread bearing much sought after details, regarding the W HOTEL vs RITZ CARLTON and amongst others.

my longstanding stance has now been dissolved.  HTOWN LIVE, please pal.. consider yourself patronized!

you are indeed most generous.  you are hereby gracious upon your approach to delivering us the best development news possible.  hey pal, you're the best!

the last time we spoke, you were hereby delivering news to us regarding the long anticipated redevelopment of the sakowitz building into a prospective bloomingdales.

here you are again, delivering to us a bit more splendid news regarding our long sought after aforementioned luxury hotels.  actually, i was hereby getting

to the point that i was thinking that maybe the RITZ had just given up on houston.  we certainly understand that your very welcomed information, has to be

handled professionally vs discreetly.  however, we say THANK U as per your trust in us... and for always delivering the best details. 

as exciting as the possibility of all of this is.. lets not forget that so far nothing has been announced for the Sakowitz building. the W and Ritz rumors have been flying around for at least a year now.. and most everything else he listed was common development knowledge or was possibly old news. i hope hes referring to new developments that are going on behind the scenes, but color me a little skeptical (no offense HTL) as to all of this "news" weve heard.

oh, before i forget.. HTOWN LIVE, has hereby indicated that W HOTEL vs RITZ shall announce.  my query to H is... does these two highly anticipated hotels plan to be in operation as per the forthcoming superbowl?  is there a close time table as per their forthcoming announcements?  there are indeed many of us, that are curious about this...  

if they arent in downtown i dont think the super bowl will matter much. sure they will be nice to have around, but all the real action for the super bowl is planned to go on in downtown and obviously at NRG.

if they arent in downtown i dont think the super bowl will matter much. sure they will be nice to have around, but all the real action for the super bowl is planned to go on in downtown and obviously at NRG.

pal, are you kidding?  where were you upon the last superbowl in houston (patriots vs carolina panthers) (feb 2004)?  basically, every hotel from houston to galveston to beaumont, were hereby packed to capacity.  the galleria area was basically crammed bumper to bumper.  inside the galleria... was simply unbelievable!  trust me, any and every viable hotel property, shall reap a financial windfall.  period.  surely the new W HOTEL vs RITZ shall want to be open for this form of business.