River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd.

This is strictly my opinion, but ''yawn.'' This ranks right up there with the Dynamo Stadium and the developments on UH campus. There is much more exciting projects happening around town. I know I know, bahumbug...

I agree this is a big let down. It should have been developed how it was originally planned. That would have been a one of a kind project in houston.

• Like 1

Bummer. The article states that there will be 279 residential units replacing 675 apartments. Considering how over-retailed this portion of town is, especially of the "high-end" variety, and the lack of large developable tracts in that location, I am looking at this as a net negative.

• Like 5

I'm also disappointed with the scaling-back of this project. But (forgive me for not digging up the historical records) wasn't there originally supposed to be a 2nd phase of this project that would extend farther north towards San Felipe? If so, is it still possible that the 2nd phase could be more interesting than this rather "ho-hum" set of renderings?

• Like 1

I'm also disappointed with the scaling-back of this project. But (forgive me for not digging up the historical records) wasn't there originally supposed to be a 2nd phase of this project that would extend farther north towards San Felipe? If so, is it still possible that the 2nd phase could be more interesting than this rather "ho-hum" set of renderings?

Good point, there was supposed to be a phase two. Who knows if that is still under consideration though.

http://www.goodproject.com/highlandtower/pdfs/Highland%20Map_areamap.pdf

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

You know, this really sucks.

All these developers that keep doing this to us are such teases.

They come out with these grand proposals and renderings (houston pavilions), get us houstonians all aroused so they will gain our approval, then when it comes time to build it, they scale back half the project and scrap all the components that were necessary to make the project a success (a la pavilions scrapping two towers of hotel and residential)

Then we're left with a cut rate, penny pinchers half ass projects that end up failing miserably and being bought up by the Magic Johnson group.

Sigh. :( thank God for Gerald Hines and Marvy Finger

/rant

• Like 3

You know, this really sucks.

All these developers that keep doing this to us are such ****teases.

They come out with these grand proposals and renderings (houston pavilions), get us houstonians all aroused so they will gain our approval, then when it comes time to build it, they scale back half the project and scrap all the components that were necessary to make the project a success (a la pavilions scrapping two towers of hotel and residential)

Then we're left with a cut rate, penny pinchers half ass projects that end up failing miserably and being bought up by the Magic Johnson group.

Sigh. :( thank God for Gerald Hines and Marvy Finger

/rant

And before someone trys to troll my post, yes, I'm aware the project was put on hold because of the recession, then scaled back.

Still, fail.

I completely agree ! ! !

• Like 1

Had to laugh at this:

"Texas flair" in landscaping?

And don't forget "materials native to the state." Loosely translated, this means Limestone and Prairie Grasses. Possibly some cacti and maybe a mesquite tree. It will provide an authentic Texas look, as imagined by a San Diego developer and Chicago landscape architect. But maybe, just maybe, they'll surprise us with Thurber bricks and Trumpet vines.

• Like 1

And don't forget "materials native to the state." Loosely translated, this means Limestone and Prairie Grasses. Possibly some cacti and maybe a mesquite tree. It will provide an authentic Texas look, as imagined by a San Diego developer and Chicago landscape architect. But maybe, just maybe, they'll surprise us with Thurber bricks and Trumpet vines.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just covered the landscaped areas with bluebonnets and called it a day.

• Like 2

It's better than what is there currently. I do like that they are at least saying most retail will be new to this area...better then having another yogurt, Starbucks, whole foods, apple store

New to the area doesn't mean a new concept. It might just be a Cali-based yogurt store and a Florida-based dinner/movie theater rather than Alamo Draft House.

Also, I don't think it's better than what is there. There are over 630 apartments on the site right now. They are also "moderately" priced for inside the loop, allowing for a little bit of income diversity in the area. These will be replaced by much higher priced apartments... and a lot fewer in number.

I'd rather have 800 residents on that site than the 300 that will be there in the future.

• Like 3

"Well it's better than what is currently there" seems to be the same old typical excuse I keep hearing for every once grandeur development that turns into a medicore disappointment. Quantity is not quality and I wish some of these developers would have the cajones to seriously build and invest big in this town as they so often do in others. What are the developers and banks scared of? And don't tell me Houston's bust of the 80's. Surely, we are passed that and have proven our staying power during rough times.

• Like 3

Does no one else find it appalling that over 600 families are being thrown out of their homes during the holidays? That almost 700 affordable apartments are being replaced with what will almost certainly be fewer than 300 much less affordable apartments?

As a current resident of Westcreek at River Oaks (spared from the bulldozer... for now) I appreciate the almost entirely residential nature of Westcreek Lane and some of the most affordable housing in the area. Now I get worry about when they might to decide to tear my building down too so they can build fewer, more expensive residences and useless vanity shops of no appeal to me whatsoever.

Note: My name should be MikeRichardson, not MikeRichardsob.

Edited by MikeRichardsob
  • Like 1

Does no one else find it appalling that over 600 families are being thrown out of their homes during the holidays? That almost 700 affordable apartments are being replaced with what will almost certainly be fewer than 300 much less affordable apartments?

No. Especially not when they are being given rebate checks for up to one month of rent and guaranteed the return of their full security deposits. If you live on a month-to-month tenancy, you are subject to your tenancy being terminated with 30 days' notice (or apparently 60 days for some of these tenants). Nothing to be appalled about.

• Like 5

No. Especially not when they are being given rebate checks for up to one month of rent and guaranteed the return of their full security deposits. If you live on a month-to-month tenancy, you are subject to your tenancy being terminated with 30 days' notice (or apparently 60 days for some of these tenants). Nothing to be appalled about.

Those people had leases, not "month to month tenancies". A "rebate check" is gone after a few months when you have to move into another apartment that costs significantly more.

• Like 1

Consider it one of the risks of being a renter. There are many more risks being a home owner, so boo-hoo. There are no guarantees for anyone. Personally, I couldn't care less about the people who will have to look for another place to live. Like everyone else on the planet faced with change, they will adapt or die. What difference does it make? Life goes on. But don't worry, they'll survive. Apts are plentiful in Houston and many more are on the way.

While this project is not as earth shattering as the first renderings promised on a stack of bibles that it would be, I think it will make Houston a slightly better place to live in compared to those old dingy apts taking up that prime real estate not doing nothin' for nobody (not counting the soon to be refugees, sniff, sniff). Of course it could have been better.

BREAKING NEWS: EVERYTHING EVER BUILT IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND COULD HAVE BEEN A LITTLE BETTER.

(except for Williams Tower)(and even that could have been one floor higher)(higher=cooler)(please excuse all these parenthesis)

HEY! You can't please everyone and you have to take advantage of the opportunities when they present themselves. This is why some actually invest money and take all the risks in projects and some just sit in a hole somewhere b*tching on the internet all day about how the do-ers are not doing it the way they would do it if only they could do it. It's always easier spending someone else's money and whining about how others see fit to risk their own capital, reputation and a good chunk of their time on this planet while actually sitting back and doing nothing (and yes it's even easier whining about the whiners - so sue me). The Houston market obviously isn't (completely) ready for the original envisioned version of this project - so what? I doubt this will be Houston's last chance to build some 20-30 floor towers around a bunch of uppity retail stores.

So lighten up and shut your holes. It ain't all bad. Just kidding, have it your way - it's actually the beginning of the end of Houston. Whatever. Let the 'Debbie' convention resume.

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 3

Those people had leases, not "month to month tenancies". A "rebate check" is gone after a few months when you have to move into another apartment that costs significantly more.

"Those people" had leases that had passed their expiration date. Upon the expiration of a lease, it becomes a month-to-month tenancy.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

"Those people" had leases that had passed their expiration date. Upon the expiration of a lease, it becomes a month-to-month tenancy.

They were still signing new leases as of this year - leases that (assuming a one year term) expired well into 2013. An addendum to these leases provided for their termination (which is why some seem to be 30 days, maybe the month-to-month tenants, and others are 60 days, probably specified in the addendum).

HEY! You can't please everyone and you have to take advantage of the opportunities when they present themselves. This is why some actually invest money and take all the risks in projects and some just sit in a hole somewhere b*tching on the internet all day about how the do-ers are not doing it the way they would do it if only they could do it. It's always easier spending someone else's money and whining about how others see fit to risk their own capital, reputation and a good chunk of their time on this planet while actually sitting back and doing nothing (and yes it's even easier whining about the whiners - so sue me).

I'm not sure how to reply to this. I disagree with the developer's timing of the evictions (during the holidays), as well as their decision to still sign leases up until right before the closure notice, and I lament the net loss of total housing and affordable housing. Your remarks seem to imply that by merely holding these views I am some kind of "non-doer", that perhaps I spend a majority of my time "b*tching" on the Internet about how to spend other people's money. I don't know if that was your intention or not.

• Like 1

Oh, I don't care about that anymore.

But, how many multi-million developments have you built? My abrasive comments were only intended for non-doers who only use this forum as their own personal complaint window to God. I wouldn't worry too much about it. And I wouldn't take it too personal either.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2012 at 2:29 AM, MikeRichardson said:

They were still signing new leases as of this year - leases that (assuming a one year term) expired well into 2013. An addendum to these leases provided for their termination (which is why some seem to be 30 days, maybe the month-to-month tenants, and others are 60 days, probably specified in the addendum).

Whatever. If they had not already expired, they were, by the terms of the lease, terminable upon xx days' notice, which was given. There is no cause for complaint, let alone outrage.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting opinion about this development. http://www.austincontrarian.com/austincontrarian/2012/08/bad-economic-development-in-houston.html

I'm particularly flummoxed by Icken's insinuation that the city is better off without "1960s era apartments for years to come." Old apartment buildings are the main source of moderately priced housing. That's how housing markets work. I don't know what the rents are there today, but I'm sure they're no more expensive today, relatively, than they were in 1992. I'd be the last person to defend rigging the zoning or development rules to protect old apartment buildings, but at the same time I'm stunned that the city believes it needs to actively incentivize their removal.

Also, a chain link fence was erected around most of the property today, including all of the parking accessible from Westcreek Ln and any parts accessible from inside the gate of the existing apartments. Should be an interesting next few months.

• Like 2