River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd.

Across from which restaurant?

Next time you drive by, take a picture. I didn't see anything when I went by, and the google maps satellite view is showing all of the buildings on the site intact, and those pictures were taken in the past few months. If a new garage sprung up, I would think that the construction at least would be visible.

here's a link to the street view of the empty plot across from carrabbas at Branard.

If you look on the overheads, you can see there is actually construction visible at that spot at Branard @ Argonne.

River Oaks District is on Westhiemer close to 610, are you thinking of West Ave?

Carrabbas is expanding, that is what you're seeing.

-----

I did not know this project had any public financing help:

$629 Million River Oaks District, Uptown-Galleria, Houston, TX. The 14-acre premier redevelopment site is projected to include two luxury hotels, high-endretail, office space and residential components steps from the Galleria. On behalf of thedeveloper, SPPRE prepared a Public/Private Finance Plan that illustrated all private investment and the tax revenue generated by the project to public partners. The determination of these revenue sources supported the basis for public financial investment in the development. Developed several methods for the public partners to recoup their proposed investment based on the success of the project.

Edit: more images, not sure if these are the winning design though. http://bey-design.com/work-experience/commercial/

Edited by lockmat

River Oaks District is on Westhiemer close to 610, are you thinking of West Ave?

Carrabbas is expanding, that is what you're seeing.

-----

I did not know this project had any public financing help:

Edit: more images, not sure if these are the winning design though. http://bey-design.co...nce/commercial/

Actually, the one you're talking about is "High street" that pretty much got frozen in its tracks. It's fairly close to Mid lane @ Westheimer.

I forgot what this particular development is to be honest. I know that Carrabbas is expanding (they certainly need it) and are building a garage, and several other buildings around it.

EDIT:

Here is the topic I meant to use it on. Link.

If someone can merge and purge, please? :)

Edited by ricco67

How old would this link be?

The link you posted yesterday about the project coming out of the "on hold" phase didn't seem to mention the hotels and high rises at all.

Safe to assume they're cancelled? Haha.

I know, pretty old, but we hadn't seen them (but one) before, so I thought I'd share ;p

But the article mentioned it's the first phase.

• 4 weeks later...

good news:

River Oaks District and High Street, slated for development on adjacent properties on Westheimer, are looking for various types of tenants in an effort to move forward. Both projects were on display in May in Las Vegas at the International Council of Shopping Centers annual convention.

Read more: Inner Loop mixed-use projects back on table | Houston Business Journal
  • Like 1

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/sarnoff/7616129.html

The company won't discuss those plans just yet, other than to say they've been altered from the original design.

"It's being tweaked to be in alignment with the current market," Hutchens said.

which i take it means they've downsized the scope and will likely develop in phases. but good news nonetheless.

• Like 3

http://www.chron.com...ff/7616129.html

which i take it means they've downsized the scope and will likely develop in phases. but good news nonetheless.

They had two highrises and two other big buildings in the initial proposal. What is your educated guess as to how they've downsized, you think there will be any highrises left? Will it just become about the size of High Street?

Edited by lockmat

• 4 weeks later...

San Diego-based Oliver- McMillan has removed a luxury hotel component from the original plan of what was once called River Oaks District. The project is now known as 4444 Westheimer and will include retail, office and residential space, a company representative said.

In May, the project was "well received" at the annual International Council of Shopping Centers conference in Las Vegas, spokeswoman Karen Hutchins said last month.

"We're seeing things coming back," she said.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7655882.html#ixzz1STjwWXum

• 2 months later...

Honestly I never had high hopes for this project from the start and I think of it as just infill, its neither good nor bad from my point of view. I don't care how upscale it is or even if they get the best stores I wouldn't ever shop there. It looks bland, tacky, and replaceable. I knew the high rises would be cut out from the final plans but I have to say that I'm still very disappointed regardless. Oh well haha, you win some, you lose some. Houston is still a maturing city and will be getting lots of nice and also not so nice high rises in the coming 20 years, many will make up for the loss on this and many will make you wish they left it as a vacant plot.

Just my $0.02 anyway.

This is just awful imo. For a walkable development, it doesn't look the least bit cozy.

The C-store around the corner from me that sells malt beverages isn't the least bit cozy. It's still quite walkable, both in the sense that it is accessible to adjoining neighborhoods and that its site can be traversed on foot. Nope, no Calatrava-designed people-movers there! No sir. And if you don't agree with me, then you are a vulva.

am I looking at this right?

Isn't the Quizno's going to go away?

My main issue is how traffic control is going to be handled. From what I can there there will only be so many amount of places where they can come and go there.

Maybe I'm overlooking it, but I don't quite see how 18-wheelers can get there for deliveries, but they will probably just do the big box trucks.

Oy, this is going to be interesting during christmas.

The C-store around the corner from me that sells malt beverages isn't the least bit cozy. It's still quite walkable, both in the sense that it is accessible to adjoining neighborhoods and that its site can be traversed on foot. Nope, no Calatrava-designed people-movers there! No sir. And if you don't agree with me, then you are a vulva.

I just think for a "high-end" development in a relatively "high-end" area, it's a dissapointment b/c to me, it looks like a glorified Premium Outlet or even a Woodlands Market Street, but without the softness of a park. Feels cold, like a Rothko Chapel. But does it "work?" Absolutely.

man... what a disappointment. from 3 potential towers to ZERO. i'm just amazed that this city, as big as it is, can't land a big name luxury hotel to safe it's life. one would think with as much international business (particualrly from wealthy latinos and middle easterners) that a prime piece of real estate such as this would be attractive enough from a practical and financial standpoint to bring one in.

bummer.

• Like 1