River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd. & 4702 Westheimer Rd.

original.jpg

wow!  river oaks district is going to be spectacular. 

Please heed your own advice. ROD will certainly be different from what existed there previously. To a surplus of people, it will likely be considered an improvement - but only to a dearth of people will it be considered some magnificent spectacle, worth of comparison to the Astrodome. By general consensus, ROD is considered a general improvement. Either reveal your true intentions, or cease heaping unsubstantiated praise upon a project of which the typical praise might, on a good day, conjure a lukewarm compliment at best.

Edited by MikeRichardson

Please heed your own advice. ROD will certainly be different from what existed there previously. To a surplus of people, it will likely be considered an improvement - but only to a dearth of people will it be considered some magnificent spectacle, worth of comparison to the Astrodome. By general consensus, ROD is considered a general improvement. Either reveal your true intentions, or cease heaping unsubstantiated praise upon a project of which the typical praise might, on a good day, conjure a lukewarm compliment at best.

what_word.gif

dude, i beg your pardon!  who on earth or you to be dictating to me about "heaping unsubstantiated praise upon a project"?  are you hereby retarded?  please allow me to welcome you to the land of the free... as well as the official home of the HAIF.  ROD, has been one of my most favorite projects upon this forum.  my response to this current update as per this project, "was that it is going to be spectacular."  is it me... for i simply do not see anything wrong as per my statement, that hereby solicited such a profound response from you.  therefore, or you hereby trying in earnest to compare this most spectacular development to the astrodome?  if you are, then that is certainly your prerogative.  however, what on earth does that have to do with me?    

• Like 4

Monarch calls everything "spectacular." He also seems to have replaced his old tendency of using random colors with this "keep calm and..."

• Like 1

where_word.gif

... do you get off the road at, calling people "retarded"?

... I don't really care - mostly, I just wanted to also post a massively oversized and unnecessary GIF, stolen borrowed from a graphic design firm that last updated their website in 1998.

what_word.gif

dude, i beg your pardon!  who on earth or you to be dictating to me about "heaping unsubstantiated praise upon a project"?  are you hereby retarded?  please allow me to welcome you to the land of the free... as well as the official home of the HAIF.  ROD, has been one of my most favorite projects upon this forum.  my response to this current update as per this project, "was that it is going to be spectacular."  is it me... for i simply do not see anything wrong as per my statement, that hereby solicited such a profound response from you.  therefore, or you hereby trying in earnest to compare this most spectacular development to the astrodome?  if you are, then that is certainly your prerogative.  however, what on earth does that have to do with me?    

• Like 1

Geez keep calm and enjoy all the activity going around.

If someone thinks somethings are spectacular that is his opinion.

Personally, as per the district, I think it will be a disappointment as is most developments in this town. But on the flip side I will also be a major improvement for that area and for this stretched out suburbanish city.

• Like 1

Stolen?? C'mon Mike...I appreciate the info you've brought to this forum, but your last couple of comments towards Monarch on here have been completely unnecessary. No need for that stuff, man...everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one compared ROD to the Astrodome or anything like that, but I'm willing to take the Pepsi challenge that more people on this site and abroad are going to like ROD much more than what it is replacing...even considering how the project was scaled back.

I personally wish it would have been more vertical, but it will likely be a pretty big shot in the arm for the area.

Stolen?? C'mon Mike...I appreciate the info you've brought to this forum, but your last couple of comments towards Monarch on here have been completely unnecessary. No need for that stuff, man...everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one compared ROD to the Astrodome or anything like that, but I'm willing to take the Pepsi challenge that more people on this site and abroad are going to like ROD much more than what it is replacing...even considering how the project was scaled back.

I personally wish it would have been more vertical, but it will likely be a pretty big shot in the arm for the area.

And apparently they have the property just to the west to go vertical on for a second phase.

• Like 1

where_word.gif

... do you get off the road at, calling people "retarded"?

... I don't really care - mostly, I just wanted to also post a massively oversized and unnecessary GIF, stolen borrowed from a graphic design firm that last updated their website in 1998.

richardson_hwy_locator_map_350.jpg

this road!  RICHARDSON FM (farm to market) waaaaaaayyyy off in alaska!

oh, and trust me.. it was one bumpy ride, indeed.

I will say that the River Oaks District is nice, but doesn't hold a candle to Buckhead Atanta (a development in the Buckhead district of Atlanta by the same company). The company built their version of ROD on the actual streets so that its really an extension of the neighborhood and not a shopping center like ROD. Their's was cut back like ROD but the still got quite a few highrises out of it.

Buckhead Atlanta Development by Oliver McMillan

chnbqh.jpg

316006_260053930704478_1622771130_n.jpg

D03_2038.jpg

So they got 3 high rises out of it? Their location is more central.. If ROD went all the way to San Felipe it would be similar set up, instead if backing up to the back of a target. Keep in mind they recently purchased the land just west of ROD, where high rises are likely, so we still have a chance at a rebuttal of the recession.

Looking at the Buckhead design more.. It sort of reminds me of a shorter/smaller Regent Square

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

ROD planning to expand to the area just across Westcreek Ln.

SubdivisionPlatPDF_110517-70001_Plat.pdf

Since this was just mentioned.. Has anything else been heard/come of this? Just over 3.4 acre expansion for ROD. It will only increase the 15 acre development by a bit over 20%, leading me to believe they will choose to go vertical on this segment.

For the lazies...

B784669B-2B6F-45CB-BE33-5616976B6F1C_zps

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

But yet, ROD, Westcreek, High Street, and Azalea are all mixed in together, so the area does hold a candle to BA in some regards.

that was kind of my thinking as well.. then it will span from Westheimer to San Felipe (if only on the west side of the grouping). it will be interesting to see how pedestrian friendly/connected the area becomes once all these developments are built out.

Buckhead Atlanta and River Oaks District look remarkably similar (well, not that remarkable, I guess, since they are the same company).   Citykid, don't you ever tire of embarrassing yourself?

Buckhead Atlanta:  300,000 square feet of upscale retail, restaurants and cafes

100,000 square feet of offices

370 apartments

River Oaks District:  252,000 square feet of luxury retail, fine-dining restaurants, street-side cafes and entertainment

99,000 square feet of office space

279 residential units.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Buckhead Atlanta and River Oaks District look remarkably similar (well, not that remarkable, I guess, since they are the same company).   Citykid, don't you ever tire of embarrassing yourself?

Buckhead Atlanta:  300,000 square feet of upscale retail, restaurants and cafes

100,000 square feet of offices

370 apartments

River Oaks District:  252,000 square feet of luxury retail, fine-dining restaurants, street-side cafes and entertainment

99,000 square feet of office space

279 residential units.

How have I "embarrassed" myself? Buckhead Atlanta was built up to the street so that as you drive by you can look into the stores. River Oaks District for the most part ignores Westheimer. The developer or the backwards rules of the City of Houston somehow allowed or required parking to be in the front of the building. The only thing that I was trying to state was that a  development with high end retail like this one had the opportunity to turn this into  Houston's version of the Magnificent Mile, Rodeo Drive, 5th Avenue, Newbury Street, etc. but they missed out because the vehicle has to be the #1 priority in Houston.

On the bright side, I like what cloud713 and others mentioned about the additional land that the developer purchased for future development. Also maybe in the future the parking in the front could be eliminated with really wide sidewalks. Maybe even buy the High Street development next door and redevelop it.

We enjoy Monarch around here.

Tread lightly.

• Like 4

How have I "embarrassed" myself? Buckhead Atlanta was built up to the street so that as you drive by you can look into the stores. River Oaks District for the most part ignores Westheimer. The developer or the backwards rules of the City of Houston somehow allowed or required parking to be in the front of the building. The only thing that I was trying to state was that a development with high end retail like this one had the opportunity to turn this into Houston's version of the Magnificent Mile, Rodeo Drive, 5th Avenue, Newbury Street, etc. but they missed out because the vehicle has to be the #1 priority in Houston.

On the bright side, I like what cloud713 and others mentioned about the additional land that the developer purchased for future development. Also maybe in the future the parking in the front could be eliminated with really wide sidewalks. Maybe even buy the High Street development next door and redevelop it.

The Houston Galleria is already on par with the Magnificent Mile and Rodeo Drive. Houston has so much money that the remaining luxury players want in, and ROD will supply that demand in a walkable outdoor expansion of Galleria luxury in a Beverly Hills style layout only 5min up the street. The same luxury players in Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive are in River Oaks District/Houston Galleria. Houston has enjoyed world class shopping for decades, as the Houston Galleria is a legendary world renowned powerhouse (generating 1.2 billion annually...DAMN!)...the addition of ROD will send Houston into the luxury stratosphere and unequivocally on par with NY and L.A. Edited by HTOWN LIVE

The Beverly Hills plan/layout is just like ROD. Beverly Hills has about 3 or 4 elegant streets of shops (Wilshire, Rodeo and Brighton)...ROD will probably name the streets in that plan closer to opening. Beverly Hills also has strip parking and street-side and diagonal parking. ROD will also have a sleek state-of-the-art parking garage just like Beverly Hills. The only difference is Rodeo shoppers have NM and Saks right across the street with additional huge parking garages behind each store, whereas in Houston NM and Saks are a half mile away at the Galleria. Edited by HTOWN LIVE

How have I "embarrassed" myself? Buckhead Atlanta was built up to the street so that as you drive by you can look into the stores. River Oaks District for the most part ignores Westheimer. The developer or the backwards rules of the City of Houston somehow allowed or required parking to be in the front of the building. The only thing that I was trying to state was that a  development with high end retail like this one had the opportunity to turn this into  Houston's version of the Magnificent Mile, Rodeo Drive, 5th Avenue, Newbury Street, etc. but they missed out because the vehicle has to be the #1 priority in Houston.

If that was the only thing you were trying to state, maybe you should have said something somewhat kinda sorta at least tangentially related to that (not that having a little store-front parking is even that horrible of an idea, but whatever...).  Instead you came in with your usual bashing/trolling pronouncing that ROD "doesn't hold a candle" compared to Buckhead Atlanta, when, in fact, they are practically identical.