River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd.

I stopped by on a bike ride on Friday. Made a couple of circles and got friendly waves from security. Still a lot of work going and only saw a couple of potential customers (though they could have been working at the retail), but it was 10am on a Friday. I felt uncomfortable just being there haha - way to high class for me. But it does look nice, and I'll be checking out movies and restaurants for sure. I didn't even see where iPic was going...

Noted that the street parking in front of the shops was metered at $3/hour and they have valet. Is self parking in the garage free?

• Like 1

self parking is free! and wow i am shocked about the iPic opening early because there is absolutely no signage and from the looks of the windows, work is still being done (i drove by yesterday just to check it out)...so i am awaiting a response back from my contact at iPic headquarters (yes i made one because i am that excited about the theater haha!)...anyway i should hear something back today about the theater opening, movies, free ticket info etc....stay tuned! 

and one last comment...again, every time i have gone by no matter the time of day or day of the week it is an absolute ghost town...that WILL change i am sure once the restaurants, theater and gym are open in full force...but wow it is an odd feeling to drive by with workers all standing near the windows and doors bored and waiting for a customer to walk in (that is seriously what it looks like!)

edited to add...i just heard from my contact! she said that yes these screenings are happening and if you signed up for the free membership you should show you are a sapphire member and should also be getting emails about these screenings happening this week! 

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

Here is the response i just got:

Hello again Gene,
I reached out to our IT team and they responded with: “New Houston members will be upgraded automatically on 11/5 and their free ticket will be there then. They'll show as Purple until that date.”
In regards to mock service, we haven’t sent any email messages out regarding this yet… we simply have been posting to social media pages and reporting to the media regarding the mock service. You have been receiving all emails accordingly, so no worries on missing out!

All the best,

iPic 

ps...i am excited to see E.T. on the big screen again!!! haha! wednesday 6pm if you want to join!

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

mock service in the restaurant industry usually means a practice run with free food and drinks...so...we can hope for that haha! 

edited to add, this was found on facebook back when the scottsdale theater opened!!! (crossing fingers it will be the same for us!!

Complimentary Mock Service reservations are now up and running at our newest location, IPic Theaters in Scottsdale! You are invited to a complimentary sneak peak at the ultimate movie experience as our staff prepares for opening day! Enjoy a free entree item and a beverage during your visit on us! Photo ID required for alcoholic beverage. ) 

whooOoohooOOooOooo!

and this FREE Minecraft event is going on tomorrow (the flyer says the wrong date but it is indeed tomorrow Wednesday Oct 28th 2015!):

post-5145-0-55016800-1445959148_thumb.jp

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

My friend found a local number and verified that they will have the restaurant open. No mention of freebies.

Will report back tomorrow!

I called and asked the person who answered if it was like the Scottsdale opening with free food. They said yes. Hopefully the guy wasn't lying to me, ha-ha.

• Like 3

Went to iPic last night, and overall had a very positive experience. They have a lot of work to do before 11/6 construction wise. The front entrance was not open, you have to go in from the garage (north end just north of Cartier). Their scanner wasn't working (to scan my QR code on my phone) so they had to go print our tickets which took a few minutes. They were apologetic but it wasn't a big deal. We had the non-premium tickets that don't have in-seat table service, so we were directed to iPic Express which currently has a limited menu. As part of the mock trial we were able to pick one food item, one (non-alcoholic) drink, and a small popcorn. I had the sliders which were good. The food did take 10-15 minutes to come out, they provide a buzzer. The staff was very friendly, professional, and helpful - and also they outnumbered the patrons. This will sound strange, but make sure you check out the bathroom! The main restaurant and bar was open as well, but we didn't have time to check it out. The staff at iPic Express said that this was the limited 'mock' menu and it would be expanded to offer more gourmet options that are in the main restaurant.

My only issue with the setup - the first two rows which are the only premium seats ($12-$16) are pretty close to the screen. I don't mind the price point, we normally pay around the same amount at Sundance and enjoy the amenities - good food and drink and the biggest advantage in my perspective - a reserved seat so you can show up right at show time. But the front row is very close and low, and to have a good vantage point you would need to be near the middle. I understand that it is a higher end theater and they want to have mode 'premium plus' seats, but to me ~$24 for those seats, especially since my wife would probably just fall asleep with the recline, blanket and pillow! The premium plus seats are also designed for dates (pods of 2). I was expecting every seat to be a good seat, given its a smaller intimate theater.

post-376-0-67553400-1446039473_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-76010200-1446039485_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-37122300-1446039521_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-44552200-1446039509_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-99577700-1446039532_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

hey skwatra! thanks so much for the review and break down! i have a date with my favorite alien (E.T.) tonight at 6pm. haha! ..unfortunately i have a regular seat so we shall see how that goes being so close to the screen which i usually dont prefer! doh!

i cant wait to check it all out but yeah i drove by again last night and my gosh its all still such a construction zone mess it seems...cant believe its open. it looked like they were trying to put up the main iPic sign last night so might see that up today! 

I went last night also.  It really is still a construction zone.  We had the premium plus seats.  It was nice to be able to recline but there is no way I would spend $24 on it regularly unless it was for something special.  The food service was nice and the staff was very helpful.  I agree that the bathrooms are really nice.  The premium seats are very close to the screen.  For $14 I would rather go to Sundance.  

• Like 1

i love Sundance for the record, it really is my favorite theater in houston...but the iPic is walking distance by 2 traffic lights from my home and my job so i am going to love this even more...hopefully haha! :)

• Like 1

^^^ much obliged skwatra, as per your very generous iPic Theater insight.  i have had the opportunity to experience these types of theaters in dubai, uae.  this concept is something that shall take a bit of time to get used to within the houston region.  it is just a VERY different movie concept all the way around. however, it is indeed geared around it's very distinctive price points, as well as ultra amenities.  this is how they strategically maintain their upscale patronage.  

^^^ much obliged skwatra, as per your very generous iPic Theater insight.  i have had the opportunity to experience these types of theaters in dubai, uae.  this concept is something that shall take a bit of time to get used to within the houston region.  it is just a VERY different movie concept all the way around. however, it is indeed geared around it's very distinctive price points, as well as ultra amenities.  this is how they strategically maintain their upscale patronage.  

Where are you from?

• Like 1

Quite a nice theater but for sure there's a lot of work to do. Guys were literally drilling and measuring around me when I was getting my ticket (which they're having lots of trouble getting to scan). There is also zero signage and the first floor is completely empty except for the escalator and very small desk. When I got inside I had to ask if it was even the movie theater because it sure didn't look like it. Food was okay (had the bbq pizza), but it's really hard to eat in the dark and in such a big chair. It was a great experience for free, but I probably won't pay $24 very often. It honestly isn't much more comfortable than Edwards Greenway. And the first two rows, absolutely wouldn't pay money for.

post-12408-0-03496000-1446058400_thumb.j

post-12408-0-34275600-1446058424_thumb.j

post-12408-0-18637700-1446058446_thumb.j

Edited by richfish
  • Like 1

you know what i just realized? i love going to the movies ALOT and go almost every week... i enjoy going alone just as much as i enjoy going with friends...

having said that, i now realize how incredible awkward its POSSIBLY going to be seeing the new Star Wars on Dec 17th alone at 1045pm in a premium chair shaped like a (seemingly romantic/couples) pod! Good luck to whomever sits next to me ;) haha! 

*edited to add if anyone wants my seat assignment send me a direct message  :D  :lol:

and one more edit to add this:

I KNOW i will like it way better than either of the Edwards in town because i am betting the patrons will be a lot more respectful during the movie than those that go and talk on their phones, text, run up and down the stairs and talk during the movie...OY!!! that is why i pretty much only go to Sundance USUALLY! Sundance has the best patrons and i am hoping this nicer setting and higher prices will keep the "riff raff" away...something that makes the higher price absolutely worth it for me! 

Edited by gene

And the first two rows, absolutely wouldn't pay money for.

I am ok with the second row center, at that price point given the rest of the amenities. Its a little close but the vantage provides full immersion for me, i can still see the end of the screens without dipping in to my peripheral vision. And I didn't feel like i was having to look up too much to the point where my neck was uncomfortable in any way. My thinking is I will check iPic for the limited good seats at the lower price point, then if I don't find what I'm looking for go to Sundance. Keep in mind that Sundance was bought out by Carmike, hopefully they keep the same level of service and upkeep of the theater as Sundance has shown.

• Like 1

i now realize how incredible awkward its POSSIBLY going to be seeing the new Star Wars on Dec 17th alone at 1045pm in a premium chair shaped like a (seemingly romantic/couples) pod! Good luck to whomever sits next to me ;) haha! 

The back row is the best if you're solo. The seats aren't in the curved pods making it feel more open

• Like 1