River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd. & 4702 Westheimer Rd.

Hi,

to clarify some confusion about two different developments on Westheimer I decided to post these images. High Street is going to be in place of demolished Ford dealership and River Oaks District is next door (in place of the an apartment complex). I am looking for any updates regarding these two mixed-use developments.

Thanks

Hopefully it's, "Highstreet IS..." and not "Highstreet WAS..."

• 1 month later...

Looks like the design has changed once again by looking at the video.

Yeah, the building closest to Westheimer has a much less generic design; looks nice. Most other things like the same or very similar.

Edited by lockmat

Yeah, the building closest to Westheimer as a much less generic design; looks nice. Most other things like the same or very similar.

I've been out of the loop on this project for so long that I can't really offer any inside information (not that I've been forthcoming to date), but I will say that the fact that they've begun to refine their initial renderings is a good indicator. If they can create some momentum, there may be a lot more that can come out of it.

I've been out of the loop on this project for so long that I can't really offer any inside information (not that I've been forthcoming to date), but I will say that the fact that they've begun to refine their initial renderings is a good indicator. If they can create some momentum, there may be a lot more that can come out of it.

That's nice to hear you say that, b/c I was somewhat skeptical to the timing of this. I was thinking, for all we know, this could have been made years ago and they're just now releasing it out of despair. I guess we'll see...

oh yeah, and unless Tootsies is expanding in Houston, I'd say this video is at least a few months old. But I checked this website a few weeks ago, so I know it's recently new.

Edited by lockmat

oh yeah, and unless Tootsies is expanding in Houston, I'd say this video is at least a few months old. But I checked this website a few weeks ago, so I know it's recently new.

Yeah, AFAIK, Tootsie's is supposed to relocate and open up in West Avenue sometime in early 2011.

I see they show a Le Meridien instead of the W (was this the project that was going to maybe include a W?). Interestingly enough they show a building with an "M"... that "M" looks identical to that of W Hotels just flipped backwards.

I see they show a Le Meridien instead of the W (was this the project that was going to maybe include a W?). Interestingly enough they show a building with an "M"... that "M" looks identical to that of W Hotels just flipped backwards.

They didn't replace the W, with the Le Meridien. Since the beginning, it's been rumored that both are going into this development. That's why the W is upside down.

• 2 weeks later...

Urbanizer found these in their brochure from their website. some of them look like stills from their new video:

gallery_723_64_34330.jpg

gallery_723_64_2960.jpg

gallery_723_64_12220.jpg

gallery_723_64_12103.jpg

gallery_723_64_53093.jpg

gallery_723_64_29754.jpg

gallery_723_64_12775.jpg

gallery_723_64_92176.jpg

gallery_723_64_58894.jpg

Is that High Street at the bottom of the photo?

Urbanizer found these in their brochure from their website. some of them look like stills from their new video:

gallery_723_64_2960.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! But that Tootsies makes me think that these are renderings from before the recession, because Tootsies is no going in West Ave. Hopefully these are new though and it is getting built. Nice to see parallel parking instead of front in parking.

Yep, there's not going to be another Apple store that close to the Galleria.

Who knows, maybe they will close the Galleria location and open a signature store in this development. But not many retailers are willing to leave the Galleria for other locations.

Who knows, maybe they will close the Galleria location and open a signature store in this development. But not many retailers are willing to leave the Galleria for other locations.

They definitely need a larger store. And I understand Apple plans to develop more flagship or signature stores, so who knows? I wonder how much Apple benefits from being in the Galleria. I mean they are such a significant destination of their own...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

What does this say? Oliver McMillan is promoting living at the "Westcreek Apartments." Isn't that what they used to be called? Now it's simply, 4444 Westheimer.

It would appear that property management has changed and that OliverMcMillan has taken the reigns. And they seem to be actively distancing themselves from Westcreek at River Oaks.

Those buildings in the rendering look fantastic! Slowly bridging the skyline gap between Downtown and Uptown. I could see Westheimer being our Wilshire. However, If any transit is built on the street it should be Elevated. The Street is already cramped as it is from 610 to Downtown.

• Like 1

Those buildings in the rendering look fantastic! Slowly bridging the skyline gap between Downtown and Uptown. I could see Westheimer being our Wilshire. However, If any transit is built on the street it should be Elevated. The Street is already cramped as it is from 610 to Downtown.

I doubt that the A-Oaks residents would allow for that, but it certainly would be helpful for a subway system as it gets more dense.

That part of Houston is elevated to the point where flooding wouldn't be THAT big of an issue.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

huh? Is he talking about the existing apartments?

In Houston, OliverMcMillan is also restarting its River Oaks District project. The project is anticipated to have approximately 250,000 square feet of new retail space, 50 luxury apartments developed in one phase. The $350 million project is expected to begin opening in spring 2014.

“We were well into the planning process before the downturn and had 700 apartments existing at the site that carried the project during the downturn,” says Oliver.

The apartment project had cash flow, enabling OliverMcMillan to sit on the rest of the development.

http://www.shoppingcenterbusiness.com/articles/MAY11/story1.shtml

And where does a 2014 spring opening put ground breaking, late 2012 or early 2013? 50 apartments doesn't seem like much either. From their renderings, I wonder which they will be, it's hard to tell.

I think the renderings shown a few post up show some actually retailer that were supposed to locate in the River Oaks District Development. For example the Tootsies Store and Apple store, but then the recession happened and these two retailers found other upscale developments to move into because the River Oaks District was placed on hold. Tootsies moved into West Ave and Apple is building in Highland Village.

I think the renderings shown a few post up show some actually retailer that were supposed to locate in the River Oaks District Development. For example the Tootsies Store and Apple store, but then the recession happened and these two retailers found other upscale developments to move into because the River Oaks District was placed on hold. Tootsies moved into West Ave and Apple is building in Highland Village.

My guess they just put real retailers in their renderings for marketing, because in their promo video, it basically shows every single store and they all have real retailers. I find it hard to believe they had so many people already signed up.