River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd.

Y'all complain soooo much!!! ....y'all complaining about..., the design of a complex, the location of such, etc. Get over it and embrace whatever is being built.

This is an architecture forum.  Discussions about designs are a given.  I agree that sometimes some of the observations resemble a complaint, but I think we're just venting to a large group of like minded people (or so we think).

Infill/density is great, but its even more impressive if it is also architecturally striking.  That is the problem with art - we're all critics.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be really nice if the retail came up to Westheimer instead of parking in the front. Also would be nice if it connected to that other mixed use development next to it. There is no cohesiveness in development in Houston like you see in other cities.

Edited by citykid09
  • Like 3

Did you look at the elevations? It's basically the old apartments, except with a strip mall stuck underneath them. Residential density is only coincidentally improved because the new apartments are smaller.

Does anyone know the before and after unit count?

Does anyone know the before and after unit count?

New development has "278 residential units". Another source says 279.

Old apartments... HBJ says "Those 415 units carry a 4444 Westheimer address", but in regards to the newer portion built in 1971. There were also two older 1968 buildings, which would have had at least 93 apartments each. So there were at least 601 apartments demolished.

That sounds about right, because I remember remarking that there weren't even going to be half as many apartments to replace the ones demolished.

It would be really nice if the retail came up to Westheimer instead of parking in the front. Also would be nice if it connected to that other mixed use development next to it. There is no cohesiveness in development in Houston like you see in other cities.

Whatever is being built up along Westcreek Ln. is coming up almost right to the street. 

• 1 month later...

I was surprised how much you could see of this from 610.. I didn't figure you'd even be able to notice it since it's only 4 or so stories tall. Westcreek and mid lane will definitely make a big impact on the east side of the 610 skyline..

50FD5C99-4327-4671-B7E8-C13EA4FBACC9_zps

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 2

While I'm glad ROD is getting another tenant, I'll never go there to pay $1400-$1800 for a pair of shoes.  

It seems strange to me:  I pass by similar uber-upscale stores in the Galleria and they survive even though they seem empty.  Many are even expanding their existing footprints in the Galleria.  

My guess is that they must prosper by having a relatively small number of customers, but a high sales amount per customer.