Plant Nurseries Near East End

In another thread, Vertigo58 mentioned having good luck growing bougainvilla in this area.

This spring, I plan to do some serious landscaping and gardening. Are there any plant nurseries on this side of town other than those at Lowe's and Home Depot? They're okay for some things, but the quality and selection of nursery stock and specimen plants varies from day to day.

The one off of Nasa Road one exit is Houston Palm. They sell ALL varieties of color. Home Depot just has the common red/pink and higher $.

Maa's Nursery in El Lago or is it Kemah? Has giant baskets that have about 4 seperate plants within that much the better. You get your $ worth and can seperate them in other parts of the yard. Maa's imports them from all over so the colors are like in the photos I tossed in. It is worth the trip. Get white if possible. I got a basket with about 5 inside and planted around and they became tree-like after a while. Training is the trick and little fertilizer. Best part is you seldom have to water. Mother natures rain is the absolute best medicine.

There were great nurseries in EE years ago, even right there on Dumble @ Munger (Emerson's Nursery). The owner always gave us free little plants just to be nice.

Don't laugh, but I have found that Houston Garden Center can have some terrific finds. I don't know if they get specimens mixed in with their standard shipment or what, but they were the first large chain Houston nursery I have seen with Nearly Wild Rose, Horsetail reed, and some others. Now you seen them all over the place, but HGC appeared to have them first. I go to the West Loop location at least once a month just to walk around.

Outside of that, I just go to Buchanan's, give them my credit card, and try not to look at the total bill.

I think there's a nursery near the Telephone/OST intersection...could be wholesale only, never stopped to check it out.

I'm a big fan of Houston Garden Center's 70% Off Sales, but my favorite nursery is Teas Nursery in Bellaire. They have a really eclectic selection, plus it's just a neat place to walk around.

If you're doing trees or shrubs-- it's been my experience that a good nursery like Teas is worth the extra money. Otherwise, bedding-pack annuals you can get anywhere. Tropicals are a good bargain at the big-box stores, but Vertigo's right, you won't get the range of color, or get the double-bloom plants, etc.

If you're doing trees or shrubs-- it's been my experience that a good nursery like Teas is worth the extra money. Otherwise, bedding-pack annuals you can get anywhere. Tropicals are a good bargain at the big-box stores, but Vertigo's right, you won't get the range of color, or get the double-bloom plants, etc.

I'm too lazy to go back and read, but most of these type of vines will not be available yet. Unless your very lucky. They normally bring them in in early Spring.

If you like butterflies and hummingbirds, this is the plant for you! :rolleyes:

Just a tip the bright red color vine has seriously sharp thorns. They can become hellish. The purple ones seem to do best and for some odd reason have less pointy thorns.

Thanks to everyone who replied. My former house in Bellaire was a few blocks from Teas Nursery. I was hoping that there might be a good source closer than Teas, The Heights or Webster/Clear Lake. At one time I was an avid gardener but changes in lifestyle, work, etc., removed it from my A-List of activities. Now, with a tiny house on a very small lot, I'm planning for what's known as sustainable landscaping. There won't be a lawn - just hardscape, crushed stone paths and mainly native shrubs and plants that aren't wimps in our unique climate.

No one has metioned it so I will. For you it would be a drive but its one of the better ones I know of. Its Joesephs Nursery on FM 1128 between Manvil and Pearland. Actually closer to Pearland. It's a huge place with tons of selection. It's family owned and operated and the different generations that work there live right around the corner in some very nice houses. Beyound the selection they just have so many plants that you can usually find what you want in the right size you want. From your area go Telephone south till its SH35, west on FM 518 to FM 1128 and then south about five miles to Joesephs on the left, its just past CR 101.

• 1 month later...

Now is when they start bringing in the Bouganvilla vines at places like Houston Palm. This place and Maa's has the widest of variety to choose from. Cant go wrong with white! has green little white/pale green leaves. Trains very easy. Attracts butterflies and humming birds. :D

• 1 month later...

Now there are plenty of colorful bouganvilla plants at local nurseries!

Even the ones we tried to kill are comig back. :o:D

The purple ones are ok I guess, don't hurt as much. Train em and they go way up to the skies! I once trained one to go up one of our tall queen palms and its still there braching out color all over.

Spring has sprung in Sunnyland anyway!

Bougainvillea.JPGbouganvilla.JPG.w300h225.jpg

Vertigo, is that a pic of your yard? That palm is HUGE. What kind do you recommend. I like a Royal palm, have only seen them in Jamaica. Fan palms I hear are messy, those new feathery ones are popular now.

PS Bouganvillas are beautiful.

Vertigo, is that a pic of your yard? That palm is HUGE. What kind do you recommend. I like a Royal palm, have only seen them in Jamaica. Fan palms I hear are messy, those new feathery ones are popular now.

PS Bouganvillas are beautiful.

The feathery palm you mentioned is called a Queen Palm or rather Syagrus romanzoffiana.

I love them, but beware they attract so many ants its unreal. You have to really watch them for the 1st few weeks. Lay any killer around them if possible. I was just peeling back some dead bark and there were those pesky things! I sprinkle the killer under the bark layers. They are very graceful palms and are soft and not bothersome. They grow quite tall if you trim off dead fronds. I wish that were my pic. The palms I planted some years ago in Broadmoor are this tall and vast and have the bouganvilla cascading down (red). These also produce a very beautiful flower/s that are bright yellow and what I dont like is the dates they produce shortly after. So I would not plant near a drive way. The dates attract bugs/flies so it can get messy. It gets me to see so many businesses planting these directly next to entries or driveways. They will regret it.

Finally, these can be bought very inexpensively at Houston Palm off Nasa Rd One. Get a small one. The larger ones are ridiculously over priced. I notice that more & more of Near East End is getting into the act. I must confess, I got all of these ideas while living in SoCal some years ago. :blush:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_palm

queenflower.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now the proud owner of 2 baby Queen palms. Or should I say 1.5..my 1 yr. old labrador chewed on one already. :angry2: She's so sweet when she's not chewing everything up! :rolleyes: Bitter Apple spray repellant doesn't work on her.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm now the proud owner of 2 baby Queen palms. Or should I say 1.5..my 1 yr. old labrador chewed on one already. :angry2: She's so sweet when she's not chewing everything up! :rolleyes: Bitter Apple spray repellant doesn't work on her.

What's funny is almost every purple bouganvilla we cut back is bursting in full color now! Even the oleanders are blooming like mad. The evening night (scented) jasmines are all over too. Now the hummingbirds are stopping by and the crepe myrtles are about to bloom all colors as well.

All we need is $ to fall from the skies! :D It's a wonderful life I tell ya!

What's funny is almost every purple bouganvilla we cut back is bursting in full color now! Even the oleanders are blooming like mad. The evening night (scented) jasmines are all over too. Now the hummingbirds are stopping by and the crepe myrtles are about to bloom all colors as well.

All we need is $ to fall from the skies! :D It's a wonderful life I tell ya!

The first hummingbird I saw in Houston was at my grandmothers house in Pecan Park, (when I was older).

It was seen checking out a Turk's Cap. That plant is EXPENSIVE at nurseries. :o

It was seen checking out a Turk's Cap. That plant is EXPENSIVE at nurseries. :o

You mean like this? PS, there was a time there were always fire flies in this area. We used to capture them in big glass jars and see if they could illuminate the room. They would just curl up and kick the bucket. Loony tunes. :wacko::lol:

7852_m.jpg

A little off subject but have you ever noticed when you visit Walmart or Home Depot and most of the new plants are left with little or no water and are just dying? Its pathetic.

Somedays you see them tossing almost every one of them in a big dumpster to be shredded or whatever. Who is the one wasting $ the corporate offices or the public? Remember when you would visit nurseries there would always be sprinklers on or the workers pampering the plants? It's like seeing a stray animal starve, sickening. Water them people! :angry:

A little off subject but have you ever noticed when you visit Walmart or Home Depot and most of the new plants are left with little or no water and are just dying? Its pathetic.

Somedays you see them tossing almost every one of them in a big dumpster to be shredded or whatever. Who is the one wasting $ the corporate offices or the public? Remember when you would visit nurseries there would always be sprinklers on or the workers pampering the plants? It's like seeing a stray animal starve, sickening. Water them people! :angry:

Blame the lousy store management and the untrained "help" - they obviously don't have nursery stock maintenance in their job descriptions. A lot of the BigBox stores have plants delivered midweek, and by the time weekend shoppers come in, the wind and heat have taken their toll.

Attention all East Enders!

This plant AKA Angel's Trumpet, grow just fine in our part of town and thats because we have such great soil & great people! Very inexpensive and easy to grow. If you cut of several stems and place in bucket with natural rain water they grow roots quickly and just plant more all over the yard. They grow up to 8 feet seriously. Remember, only in East End...Ja...ja! :P:lol:

Uh oh! I just read that these are toxic like in poisonous. Who would think? So if you have children beware! :o

7891_l.jpg

angels-trumpetNL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm amazed.

I had cut about 10-15 small branches off of the big plant and placed in containers for a couple of weeks and they grew roots!

I planted some of them in the ground about 2 weeks ago and almost immediately they started to grow large leaves and then rain fell and already a trumpet popped out. These things take root very fast it seems. They are great specimens for any yard. I may just line em all up against the fence at this rate! I swear they are the size of a real trumpet. First appear as white then grow yellow edge tinge then become reddish pink at end. Extremely fragrant at evening to night and seem to ward off mosquitoes.

Unbelievable they are. :o:)

• 10 months later...
I remember seeing a lot of Angel's Trumpet when I lived in New Orleans. They smell great.

We snipped so many from the big one that now we must have 15 - 20 tiny ones with plenty of roots ready to be planted. :D So many I can give some away.

By now ? most nurseries should have big ones ready to plant. Put on a great colorful, scented display and grow well locally.

Bouganvilla should also be readily available at stores. Beware of the RED ones quite colorfull but needles can draw blood, yes siree.

If you want to go for sustainable design, why don't you put in some edibles like blueberries or blackberries, citrus or peaches? Natives are also an awesome sustainable choice, as the thought is they won't become invasive an crowd out other native species. A really great place to go for ebibles and organic supplies is Wabash Feed in Washington Heights (Washington and... Studemont ? I'm not sure), or my other favorite is Buchanan's which is nearby there. Buchanan's is actually considered a native plants place but their variety is muuucchhh greater and you could find bougainvilleas, brugsmania (angel's trumpet), hibiscus, etc if you're interested in those there. A house at Munger and Broadmoor has some serious azaleas going on right now. If you need any young (though female) muscle power, let me know! Working in the yard is my most favorite thing.

Would anyone be interested in the names of the wildflowers growing around Broadmoor? I'm a bit of a plant freak and am thinking of posting a wildflowers-in-Broadmoor post on my blog. Currently I've seen evening primrose, maximillian sunflower, lantana, horseherb, morning glories, oxalis, etc etc. I spotted some blue eyed grass on my jog in Diez Park this morning. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post a link. :-) You might like to know the name of the colorful things you spot on your walks.

I might also do a post on Broadmoor trees, Broamoor edibles (so far I've seen oranges, loquats, kumquats, tangerines and papayas), and Broadmoor ornamentals. I'm not too into ornaments but have seen some amazing color in our little hamlet. :-) I could also do a post about mean dogs that belong to owners don't keep sufficiently fenced, but I now avoid those now by walking my dog in the park. And a post on awesome brick cottage design features here. Just about every walk I take I'm confronted with some gorgeous brick thing I never saw before!

Peace!

I was surprised to see how neat orange trees look around here. :o

However, I tried tasting one and it was not so good at all. So I guess for the ornaments sake they are Ok? The birds should love em?

Lemon trees smell very nice too but oh man, those sharp needles draw bood. :angry:

Archived