Marion Jones Gets Six Months In Federal Prison

Mark F. Barnes

Marion Jones got six months in prison for two counts of perjury. U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas really wanted to hit her harder but was persuaded not to by the prosecutors. Her mouthpiece tried to spin her to look like some kind of victim, guess it didn't work too well. Track and field took a big hit again. She was also linked to BALCO.

Well, good to see that famous people are not getting out of doing time. I really can't stand that some of people that our kids would call heroes would use steroids like Marion did and then lie about it.

Is she the first of go to jail for this?

Marion Jones got six months in prison for two counts of perjury. U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas really wanted to hit her harder but was persuaded not to by the prosecutors. Her mouthpiece tried to spin her to look like some kind of victim, guess it didn't work too well. Track and field took a big hit again. She was also linked to BALCO.

What's a normal sentence for perjury? Something similar to this? I wonder if Bond and possibly Clemens will get similar sentences.

What's a normal sentence for perjury? Something similar to this?

The most current statistics I can find are for 2005.

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics: Regarding perjury cases in 2005 - 74 cases tried, 54 convictions, 23.8 months average sentence.

They take into consideration the severity of the lie and any previous offenses. Her case wasn't terribly severe

The most current statistics I can find are for 2005.

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics: Regarding perjury cases in 2005 - 74 cases tried, 54 convictions, 23.8 months average sentence.

They take into consideration the severity of the lie and any previous offenses. Her case wasn't terribly severe

It was just about her own drug use, it was also about her knowledge of a check fraud scheme that her then-husband was involved in.

I didn't realize the sentence was for both. I thought the fraud was next up. The judge wanted to sentence her twice (fraud & lying) but was unable to. The 6 months was the result of a plea bargain. The judge was also unable to go beyond that, which he said he wanted to do.

She got off light.

• 2 months later...
The IOC has stripped the medals from Marion Jones' U.S. relay teammates at the 2000 Olympics because of her doping history.

full article

ouch

Sucks to be those women, who were competing honestly to the best of their knowledge. On the other hand, it's a team event. And when one member of the team cheats, the team has cheated.

Honestly, though, if I were one of them, the words that come to mind would be, "....from my cold, dead hands."

Tommy Smith and John Carlos had their medals stripped for simply expressing themselves, with was their constitutional right. I say tough nookies MJ.

Carlos-Smith.jpg

Difference here was they were making a political statement, which isn't exactly what the Olympic games are about now is it ? Unfortunately, the Olympics have ALWAYS been marred by some kind of political aspect since Jesse Owens and the 1936 Olympics in Germany. Perhaps if the Nationalism involved with the Olympics weren't such a heavy part of it, and people just focused on the athletes and who is the best as opposed to which country is the best, we wouldn't have throngs of rabid protestors trying to extinguish a flame that has nothing to do with China's human rights laws ?

Difference here was they were making a political statement, which isn't exactly what the Olympic games are about now is it ? Unfortunately, the Olympics have ALWAYS been marred by some kind of political aspect since Jesse Owens and the 1936 Olympics in Germany. Perhaps if the Nationalism involved with the Olympics weren't such a heavy part of it, and people just focused on the athletes and who is the best as opposed to which country is the best, we wouldn't have throngs of rabid protestors trying to extinguish a flame that has nothing to do with China's human rights laws ?

Tell that to the US athletes that trained four years or more for the 1980 summer games. I think it's always been politically motivated. Many people are trying to convince the US to boycott the games in China as we speak.

My point being, Smith and Carlos didn't cheat when the competed, in fact Tommy Smith broke the World's Record in the 200m. Yet they were stripped for other reasons. Right wrong or indifferent.

On the other hand MJ cheated, she was doped, the medals are for a sports performance, not political correctness.

Tell that to the US athletes that trained four years or more for the 1980 summer games. I think it's always been politically motivated. Many people are trying to convince the US to boycott the games in China as we speak.

My point being, Smith and Carlos didn't cheat when the competed, in fact Tommy Smith broke the World's Record in the 200m. Yet they were stripped for other reasons. Right wrong or indifferent.

On the other hand MJ cheated, she was doped, the medals are for a sports performance, not political correctness.

Is it illegal to use steriods, or just unsportsmanlike & against the rules of various leagues/olympics etc.? Cause I don't understand the way the Senate is involved (with baseball) & this is so criminalized. Hope someone can explain.

Is it illegal to use steriods, or just unsportsmanlike & against the rules of various leagues/olympics etc.? Cause I don't understand the way the Senate is involved (with baseball) & this is so criminalized. Hope someone can explain.

Yes, it is illegal to use steroids without a valid prescription or to distribute them. Steroids are Schedule III substances under the Controlled Substances Act. Schedule III drugs, which have a legitimate medical function, may lead to moderate to low physical dependence or high psychological dependence.

Yes, it is illegal to use steroids without a valid prescription or to distribute them. Steroids are Schedule III substances under the Controlled Substances Act. Schedule III drugs, which have a legitimate medical function, may lead to moderate to low physical dependence or high psychological dependence.

I don't think even prescribed steroids are allowed under the IOC rules are they ?

The reason congress got involved with baseball steroid use is that the kids today see their heroes doping it up and figure, "Hey, if my hero/idol does it, then why can't I ? I must need these steroids to perform like HE does !" Oh, and the Congress needed to spend some money on something, so they could profit from it.

Our government wants to protect children and point out to them that steroids are BAD, do not use them !!! So, they go on a witch hunt to expose these "Heroes" to the kids who look up to them, to show them as "CHEATERS and LIARS" and that because they use drugs that they are not good role models. Which, if they ARE using drugs, they AREN'T good role models.

If a quarter of your relay team is using illegal drugs that leads to winning you a medal, then the medal wasn't won honestly. Damn straight they should have to give them back, and their only recourse is to be mad at her for cheating. Assuming they were completely clueless that she was...who knows.

Many people are trying to convince the US to boycott the games in China as we speak.

I haven't heard anywhere that this is seriously being considered by the USOC or the federal government.

What is being talked about is some are trying to convince President Bush to boycott the opening ceremonies.

Archived