Heritage Plaza: Office Skyscraper At 1111 Bagby St.

ChannelTwoNews

I'm not worried at all. The moving game with companies within downtown happens for various reasons.

Chevron will only add more employees than get rid of. I know at least 10 people back in Louisiana that work for Chevron. The company will slowly move all employees from Louisiana to Houston. And not just Houston but downtown Houston. I can see them filling both of hte Enron Towers.

I don't understand why a net absorption of 400,000 sf of office space is a death knell to downtown.

From the way the Chronicle talks about it, you'd think it was the end. I didn't realize they were moving into the Enron building. I would've researched it more, but I got busy and I just saw it in the headline this morning.

That was one of two highly inaccurate and irresponsible headlines in the Chronicle JUST TODAY. I thought that paper was getting better, but it seems to be becoming more and more of a joke. and Nancy Sarnoff seems to have been infected a bit by the "all negative news all the time" malady of Ralph Bivins and much of the rest of the Chronicle.

As others have noted, the second part of the headline: "loses biggest tenant" was NOT news.

From the way the Chronicle talks about it, you'd think it was the end. I didn't realize they were moving into the Enron building. I would've researched it more, but I got busy and I just saw it in the headline this morning.

I agree that the headline sounded gloomy. They apparently just assumed everyone knew about the previous move.

I thought it was common knowledge that ChevronTexaco wanted greater and more modern office space, which is why they decided to purchase 1100 Smith Street in the first place. Nothing about this is shocking. Heritage loses a tenant (A tenant, I stress) and DT sees an extra absorption of 400,000 square feet of space overall.

If anything, that's an overall WIN for downtown.

I suspect some people also missed the part about El Paso consolidating office space that it had in Greenway Plaza with space it already has in DT, meaning another win for DT office space absorption.

LOL! The initial panic-first reaction entertains again!

Breathe.

Relax.

Come to think of it, Heritage Plaza could make for some great residential space.  There is an on site garage and there are great views of Buffalo Bayou.  :D

So does anyone know the feasability of this? I was thinking the same thing that those would be some great views. Or perhaps the bottom half left office with the upper residential.

New condo units would require special fire proofing and soundwalls be installed between them. This would be some the costs that are incured.

A lot of utility work for plumbing too. To me, I think leaving it as office space would be good. Besides, we have lots of older historical office buildings that can become residential without using the more modern office buildings.

How can someone be in the energy industry and not know about ChevronTexaco's move from their old bldg to Enron II?

I don't work for ChevronTexaco, for one, and there isn't an inter-energy-company network (I think we get in trouble for that ... something about Enron. ;) ) that sends out such notices. The only way we hear about stuff like that is from "Friends who work there" and articles in the newspaper. I haven't been in too many companies, so ...

Then again, the memo could be floating around on my desk somewhere. :P

Does anyone know what's going to happen to the Chevron building downtown, their main location downtown before they bought 1500? Do they intend to hold on to that building or sell it off?

Chevron sold the "old" Chevron Building to Crescent, the owner of Houston Center. They have renamed it Fulbright Tower, in recognition of the primary tenant, the law firm of Fulbright and Jaworski.