The Milby Hotel At 607 Travis St.

tbitzel

Can anyone tell me when the The Milby Hotel in downtown Houston originally closed?

Edit: It looks like the address for The Milby Hotel changed between decades. In 1923, the address was 607 Travis Street.  In 1945, the address was changed to 902 Texas Avenue.  Building re-positioning? 

• Like 1

I don't know exactly when it closed, but it was demolished in 1971.

That is a sad word, demolished... I am trying to find the answer for a friend who recently purchased a piece of memorbilia from the old hotel. If anyone can find the answer, it would be great! I went to Milby H.S., so the answer is also one for myself, being a "buff" of the Milby heritage. Thanks!!!

Thanks for the great photos!!! Still looking for the date the hotel originally closed down. Thanks again for sharing!!!

A quick search yields:

Exterior from the Sloane Gallery

HotelMilbyTxTravis.jpg

Another exterior

HoustonMilbyHotel1920s.jpg

Interior

HoustonMilbyHotelLobby.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We purchased a home in 2002 that has a den with original paneling and reception desk (that serves as a wet bar now) salvaged from the lobby of the Milby Hotel, which was located on Texas Ave. downtown. I even found a postcard online depictng the lobby and yep, you can see "our" paneling.

What I have not been able to find out, is when was the building torn down and exactly where was it located? I was told the hotel was built in the very early 1900s. Our house was originally built in the mid 50s, but was remodeled and added onto through the years, so I do not know when our paneled den was built. Is anyone familiar with this old hotel?

I've uploaded the postcard.

post-3570-1171551356.jpg

What I have not been able to find out, is when was the building torn down and exactly where was it located? I was told the hotel was built in the very early 1900s. Our house was originally built in the mid 50s, but was remodeled and added onto through the years, so I do not know when our paneled den was built. Is anyone familiar with this old hotel?

I've uploaded the postcard.

and the real mystery is how and why was it placed in your home. Verrrrry interesting. That is; who decided it would be placed there? Maybe former owner had close connections to the hotel management. You dont mention the neighborhood but if the former owner was living close by it would make even more sense. I always hear these kind of questions on Antiques Road Show. People wonder how relics ended up in relatives hands and so on. There is always a story and explanation.

"and the real mystery is how and why was it placed in your home. Verrrrry interesting. That is; who decided it would be placed there? Maybe former owner had close connections to the hotel management. You dont mention the neighborhood but if the former owner was living close by it would make even more sense. I always hear these kind of questions on Antiques Road Show. People wonder how relics ended up in relatives hands and so on. There is always a story and explanation.

The house is in Alvin. I imagine when the hotel was torn down, fixtures and anything else of value were offered for sale as salvage before it was demolished. I remember when they tore down the Coliseum, and closed the Shamrock, in both instances, fixtures, etc. were sold off for whatever they would bring prior to the actual demolition of the building. Our house also has an accent wall made from brick salvaged from Alvin's first pharmacy. Obviously some previous owner was a fan of old things - as am I.

Edited by houstonnative

• 4 months later...

Hello to all,

I have a Milby Hotel registry (book) from 1918.

I have found some info. on the hotel and the original builder/owner (Charles H. Milby).

I plan to try to get hold of Mary Josephine Hamman (daughter of C.H.Milby), before putting the registry on ebay.

Hello to all,

I have a Milby Hotel registry (book) from 1918.

I have found some info. on the hotel and the original builder/owner (Charles H. Milby).

I plan to try to get hold of Mary Josephine Hamman (daughter of C.H.Milby), before putting the registry on ebay.

Will you post any of it on the forum? That would be interesting to see.

• 6 months later...

In mid-January 1948 Houston hotelman W. Albert Lee, who at that time either owned or leased the Milby Hotel, installed a 62' animated Trans Lux sign on the Texas Avenue face of the hotel. It was a smaller version of the famous sign in Times Square, NYC, and displayed messages in letters 4' tall.

The sign was in support of Lee's first broadcast venture, KLEE-AM, 610, which launched at the end of the month and had studios on the 2nd floor of the hotel.

The full page ads for the launch of the radio station included pictures of the studios and transmitter facility and the control room for the Trans Lux which had 2 full time employees to type the messages displayed, but no picture of the sign itself.

Do any HAIFers know of any pictures of the hotel with the sign? or any memories of the sign? I do not know how long the installation was maintained. (It was turned off at 10pm each night, which I'm sure the guests at the Rice appreciated).

Lee owned the radio station until his death in late 1951; in 1952 his estate sold it to Dallas' Gordon McLendon who changed the call letters to KLBS and then in 1957 to KILT.

In mid-January 1948 Houston hotelman W. Albert Lee, who at that time either owned or leased the Milby Hotel, installed a 62' animated Trans Lux sign on the Texas Avenue face of the hotel. It was a smaller version of the famous sign in Times Square, NYC, and displayed messages in letters 4' tall.

The sign was in support of Lee's first broadcast venture, KLEE-AM, 610, which launched at the end of the month and had studios on the 2nd floor of the hotel.

The full page ads for the launch of the radio station included pictures of the studios and transmitter facility and the control room for the Trans Lux which had 2 full time employees to type the messages displayed, but no picture of the sign itself.

Do any HAIFers know of any pictures of the hotel with the sign? or any memories of the sign? I do not know how long the installation was maintained. (It was turned off at 10pm each night, which I'm sure the guests at the Rice appreciated).

Lee owned the radio station until his death in late 1951; in 1952 his estate sold it to Dallas' Gordon McLendon who changed the call letters to KLBS and then in 1957 to KILT.

What was Trans Lux? When I hear Lux, a remember a brand of bar soap many years ago.

As a child watching Feliz the Cat, I often wondered what the ending credits meant by Trans-Lux.

More long time mysteries solved! :D

felix_the_cat.jpg

I don't recall seeing a Felix Chevrolet in the Houston Chronicle. Is it affliated with Felix Mexican Restaurants?

Edited by northbeaumont

• 1 year later...
Trans-Lux also distributed my favorite, The Mighty Hercules!

Being kids, we rewrote some theme lyrics, but all I can remember is "perfume in his farts" instead of "virtue in his heart." :P Theme was sung by Houston's own Johnny Nash, BTW.

Yeah, Johnny Nash, the same guy that sang "Secret Agent Man".

I loved Hercules. Remeber Zeus, Daedalus, Wilhemina, and Newton? That's me! That's me! Another Trans-Lux cartoon was my all-time after school favorite, Speed Racer. It came on at 3:00, and I remember running home every day (we got out at 2:50) to watch it. I had a crush on a cartoon character!

Yeah, Johnny Nash, the same guy that sang "Secret Agent Man".

I loved Hercules. Remeber Zeus, Daedalus, Wilhemina, and Newton? That's me! That's me! Another Trans-Lux cartoon was my all-time after school favorite, Speed Racer. It came on at 3:00, and I remember running home every day (we got out at 2:50) to watch it. I had a crush on a cartoon character!

& wasn't Hercules summoned by something called "the moonstone beam" an amulet that looks a great deal like todays compact disks.