Sign in to follow this  
nickn

Opening A Beer Garden In Houston..

Hi Guys.

I've been pretty idle around here, just kinda lurking for a few years now..well, for those who know me (I've met a few of you at my various bars), I'm now opening up a bar of my very own, the funding is in place, and the location is set. It's in midtown, on the outskirts, in a growing area with many townhomes, I'm excited about the area, it's a large lot (total of 21,500 sq feet). Right now, there's a very small building that sits on it, the building will remain, but will act only as a kitchen/administrative area.

Heres where you guy come in..

First, what would you like to see in a new bar in Houston? While we will focus primarily on beer (we'll be equipped to handle almost 100 taps, though we will start at roughly 30-40 so we serve good fresh beer and nothing goes stale)

What's houston missing?

Edited by nickn

Hi Guys.

I've been pretty idle around here, just kinda lurking for a few years now..well, for those who know me (I've met a few of you at my various bars), I'm now opening up a bar of my very own, the funding is in place, and the location is set. It's in midtown, on the outskirts, in a growing area with many townhomes, I'm excited about the area, it's a large lot (total of 21,500 sq feet). Right now, there's a very small building that sits on it, the building will remain, but will act only as a kitchen/administrative area.

First, what would you like to see in a new bar in Houston? While we will focus primarily on beer (we'll be equipped to handle almost 100 taps, though we will start at roughly 30-40 so we serve good fresh beer and nothing goes stale)

What's houston missing?

Hmmm, interesting. Where exactly will it be? Got any photos of the site and surroundings?

First priority, I'd think, will be landscaping to provide shade. A tree canopy would be nice, but you'll have to find ways to improvise if you don't have one. Depending on how compatible the adjoining properties are, you might put up a lattice fence and plant vines to act as a visual barrier, but also to absorb what heat you can...Midtown can pretty bad where the 'urban heat island effect' is concerned. Generally speaking, lush greenery is your friend. If you can't make something green, make sure that its as light and reflective a color as possible.

Second priority: make sure people feel safe, yet also very welcome, of course. Some parts of Midtown have acquired a bad reputation for crime and homeless issues. I'm not sure how to do that, and a lot of it depends on your site and business operations, but it should be at the top of your mind.

How about a couple of small alcove-like areas with big screen tv and comfortable chairs. Just like you'd have at home. But in this case, someone might sit down next to you that you would like to talk to. That's the reason to go out in the first place, right?

I know bars have tv's and chairs, but oftentimes unless people are drunk , the setting does not lend itself to easy interaction with strangers.

And hammocks, of course!

Edited by tomv

Hardcore security for starters and make sure bouncer's look mean and tough.

Advertising it in the right way is extremely important if you want the right crowds. Make sure all chairs and bar stools are secured to floor.

Parking is very important.

There are so many places in Midtown that do not allow any where to park so patrons just say "screw this" and keep going. Don't blame em. :D

23 bottle of beer on the wall... 23 bottles of beer....

Hi Guys.

What's houston missing?

Outdoor seating with shade and fans.

parking parking parking...

depends on what you want to cater to regarding the rest. do you want laid back? trendy? older or younger? hipster or hippy... having a target audience in mind will help the rest develop.

That sounds awesome! Just make sure the beer isn't served in plastic cups. For some reason beer only tastes good in glasses! Outdoor seating would be awesome, and I like the hammock idea. :)

So which part of Midtown is it going to be in?

It should be a mix of the outdoor space from the old Biergarden on Fegan and West Alabama Ice House.

and throw in the front yard from the old Ale House on Alabama too.

or just rebuild the Ale House :wub:

Hardcore security for starters and make sure bouncer's look mean and tough.

I think that's a bad idea. He's opening a midtown beer garden, not some concert club.

Outdoor seating area, fountain in the middle, christmas lights (or something similar/better, you know what i mean) streamed across the top (a lot of suburban shopping centers have already started to do this so the idea might be a bit stale but it still provides a nice effect), fans, possibly a device for streaming mists of water (only on the outdoor portion) and have it interact with the street so people are enticed to come in, even if only to see what's inside. IT's better if it doesn't just hit you with the bar-aspect right as you come in...maybe ake it so you have to go around a few corners or something to get to where they actually serve the drinks. THat's what I think anyway.

Edited by N Judah

I like beer, and beer likes me. That being said, I'm going to be there starting day 1.

Another vote for outdoor seating, and nice TVs with the game on would be good as well. Most successfull place have a niche. I don't know what that could be, but find one and you're in.

Rooftop deck with an abundance of greenery. And good burgers. And create a Round the World passport so each beer a person buys gets a stamp in a book and once you have your hundred you get your name on a plaque. That encourages repeat visitors, and would certainly tempt me to try beers that I may not otherwise try.

Really go for the garden--focus on outdoor space with lots of green, misters, maybe a swamp cooler. Inside, please no cushy chairs arranged in little seating areas. A beer garden is communal, not little cliques of shiny-shirts huddled in the corner watching the door. Also a well-edited beer selection, 100 taps is great but we can all do without the 7 varieties of chocolate-raspberry oatmeal stout. Allow some tap space for cider. Cider needs love too. Try not to veer into showy cocktail world just to attract certain people--it messes with the beer garden vibe. Be a place that people in their 30s and 40s go. Many of us are thirsty, and very tired of Pub Fiction, Woodrows or anything called 'lounge'.

Hope this works out for you.

Edited by crunchtastic

Ever since the Garden in the Heights was demolished for more townhomes -- Houston has been in need of an authentic German Style Beer Garden. I say the more authentic the better.

Also - I do not like the fact that all bars now must have TVs at every angle, on all the time. I understand people want to watch sports at bars, but if there is not a specific sporting event on that is of interest to customers - then turn them off. I think they are a distraction to a bar's atmosphere and cause you to just zone out watching late night ESPN re-runs of "Worlds Strongest Man" competitions.

Good Luck!

I agree with alot of the sentiments here - go green, shady, and have plenty of seating. What about German-ish food?

Did we ever find out more closely where this will be? Near rail?

Allow some tap space for cider. Cider needs love too.

I vote for this idea. Ace Pear Cider is good stuff.

Be a place that people in their 30s and 40s go. Many of us are thirsty, and very tired of Pub Fiction, Woodrows or anything called 'lounge'.

I like this idea too. Every once and a while I'd go to this irish pub in 'querque where the older crowd hung out, but there was also the more mature 20ish people in there too who just wanted to have a drink and sit around and chat. I liked it.

Be a place that people in their 30s and 40s go. Many of us are thirsty, and very tired of Pub Fiction, Woodrows or anything called 'lounge'.
the crowd must suck.

Don't fret, musicman, there will still be plenty of places for the American Apparel boys and girls to drink to colorful 'tini drinks and compare tramp stamps.

Don't fret, musicman, there will still be plenty of places for the American Apparel boys and girls to drink to colorful 'tini drinks and compare tramp stamps.

no frettin here....i don't go to places like that

Rooftop deck with an abundance of greenery.

There you go! A rooftop deck ala Skybar on Montrose! With spectacular views of the city. Best addition yet! Maybe add a huge fireplace in the middle to toss your martini glasses in?

Just can't beat a city scape view. :D

image001.jpg

This 24-year-old white college grad beerophile (for easy demographic classification) would be interested in a place with lots of shade and more communal-type seating, with a visible biergarden influence or Hofbrau House-style deal. Kinda like a subtropical Valhalla, if you will. There's lots of German influence in central Texas. If you wanted to get an idea of what a German-Texan fusion biergarden might be like, you could check that out (correct me if I'm wrong, y'all).

Edited by mojeaux131

watch out for the bad guys...my son was mugged by 4 black scumbags while walking to his car when leaving whisky creek...they beat him up real bad and he wasn't resisting...stole his wallet,phone and keys...it took the cops 3 hours to respond...

So... did this by any chance turn into "Taps House of Beers" (I think that was what the sign said) on Washington @ Reinerman in one of the old red brick buildings???

Saw the permit application sign on the building today.

If not, does anyone know anything about it?

Love the building, glad they are renovating!