Spring Teacher Charged With Sexually Abusing Teen

millennica

Jan. 8, 2008, 3:28PM

Spring teacher charged with sexually abusing teen

By JENNIFER LEAHY

Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

A Westfield High School teacher has been charged with sexual abuse of a child.

Shannon Kay Hrozek, 42, of Houston, was arrested after an assistant principal entered her 10th-grade English classroom after school on Thursday and found her performing oral sex on a 16-year-old male student, court records show.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5435742.html

From the Smoking Gun

"Room 143 With The Lights Off"

Texas teacher charged in sex assault of 16-year-old male student

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years...ml?link=rssfeed

2,570 educators nationwide had their teaching credentials revoked or otherwise sanctioned from 2001-05 over allegations of sexual misconduct.

Are you kidding me?

I'm just amazed at how these relationships even begin. The guts to initiate these things, from a student or teacher p.ov., is just beyond me.

Funny how all the blame is put on the teacher. Granted, she is a teacher, but c'mon, a guy that age knows exactly what's goin on; we know that. I just hope the parent knows where to place the blame.

The main issue is though, at 16 years old, she has committed a felony, the "child" has not. Not saying the kid knew or didn't know exacly what he was doing, she committed a crime, he did not, at least in the eyes of the law. Morally that another issue entirely, and I won't go there. She committed a crime bottom line.

The main issue is though, at 16 years old, she has committed a felony, the "child" has not. Not saying the kid knew or didn't know exacly what he was doing, she committed a crime, he did not, at least in the eyes of the law. Morally that another issue entirely, and I won't go there. She committed a crime bottom line.

twue

My wife being a professional educator for over 30 years (retiring at the end of this year) is just livid about this hole thing. She goes on and on about all you hear about is the bad teachers, never the good ones. Here lately it's been improper conduct between students on Montgomery. They are doing more than "Smoking in the Boys Room" these days.

Man that was a cool Brownsville Station song in it's day.........

Sitting in the classroom Thinking it's a drag

Listening to the teacher rap Just ain't my bag

The noon bells ring You know that's my cue

I'm gonna meet the boys On floor number two!

Smokin' in the boys' room

Now, teacher, don't you fill me up with your rules

But everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school.

This stuff has been going on since the beginning of time.

When we were in Jr High everyone knew of the teachers that flirted with the beautiful girls and 1 or 2 were caught but they either slowly went away (to other schools) or everything went back to normal. The gossip would fly then slowly go away. It's just that these days it becomes "news sensation worthy". The teachers I speak of were of both sexes too. Some sat in very suggestive ways, transparent clothes, tight, short skirts and others made sexy jokes. All true. That was 30 plus years ago so people hope to forget. I don't. :mellow: Faculty just covered for them.

Now, teacher, don't you fill me up with your rules

But everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school.

If they haven't already, schools should place smoke detectors in washrooms and add security cameras outside of washroom entrances and windows of washrooms. If the smoke detector of the bathroom sounds, the cameras save the footage of what happens afterwards.

If they haven't already, schools should place smoke detectors in washrooms and add security cameras outside of washroom entrances and windows of washrooms. If the smoke detector of the bathroom sounds, the cameras save the footage of what happens afterwards.

Buzz kill.

You should change your name to VoyeurVic with your video fetish.

instead of an educator you should be a prison warden.

Musicman, I know that cigarette smoke (or other kinds of smoke) makes rooms smell. If people frequently smoke in a bathroom, well, it smells, doesn't it? That is property abuse and it costs money to remove. The school has an interest to prevent this.

I do not see how this is "totalitarian" at all. In the 2000s it is a given that public settings are recorded. Having smoke detectors in washrooms and cameras recording entrances specifically targets people who would abuse a restroom. I really don't see how this would burden a general school population. (as opposed to a few troublemakers) - For non-troublemakers, why would a security camera be a concern? The cameras are not inside the washrooms. Security cameras already appear in schools (some even have live feed into classrooms) and on school buses. Many other places have them too; stores have security cameras. Airports have security cameras.

If schools do not place smoke detectors in washrooms, it is likely that they do not do this because of financial concerns.

No, "prison warden" tactics include school uniforms, keeping textbooks at school (as opposed to allowing people to bring them home), and metal detectors. Those measures affect everybody.

Musicman, I know that cigarette smoke (or other kinds of smoke) makes rooms smell. If people frequently smoke in a bathroom, well, it smells, doesn't it? That is property abuse and it costs money to remove. The school has an interest to prevent this.

BO makes rooms smell too. Go to a high school gym. Is that property abuse too cause the students stink up the gym?

I do not see how this is "totalitarian" at all. In the 2000s it is a given that public settings are recorded. Having smoke detectors in washrooms and cameras recording entrances specifically targets people who would abuse a restroom. I really don't see how this would burden a general school population. (as opposed to a few troublemakers) - For non-troublemakers, why would a security camera be a concern? The cameras are not inside the washrooms. Security cameras already appear in schools (some even have live feed into classrooms) and on school buses. Many other places have them too; stores have security cameras. Airports have security cameras.

If the cameras aren't in the washrooms, if someone smokes it there, how do they help? everyone in the bathroom will have a smoky smell when they come out and no one will be caught on camera.

If schools do not place smoke detectors in washrooms, it is likely that they do not do this because of financial concerns.
It is more than financial, the legality of the situation can be an issue depending on where they are placed.
No, "prison warden" tactics include school uniforms, keeping textbooks at school (as opposed to allowing people to bring them home), and metal detectors. Those measures affect everybody.
Wow i didn't realize i live down the street from a prison. :o They all wear the same clothing and have to walk through metal detectors into a building surrounded by a tall fence.

Okay, the point is they record who is in there at the time. By comparing the video tape showing people entering and exiting the restroom to the time when the smoke detector triggered, the school can determine who occupied the washroom at the time. Regarding legality of the location of the camera, I do not know the specifics regarding laws regulating placement of security cameras.

The difference between cigarette smoke and body odor is that body odor is inevitable, while cigarette smoke is not. Smoke detectors would be useful anyway since they would detect a trash fire.

Regarding uniforms, I mailed a letter to Lamar HS giving the school reasons why not to use uniforms; I HATE the trend. I don't see how uniforms make schools more secure. There may be a few where uniforms help, but I liked going to school without uniforms. I do not see how uniforms help most schools.

James McSwain, the principal, claimed that it had to do with Columbine and 9/11 (the uniforms started in fall 2006): http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2007_4416999 - Needless to say, I smell BS.

BO makes rooms smell too. Go to a high school gym. Is that property abuse too cause the students stink up the gym?

If the cameras aren't in the washrooms, if someone smokes it there, how do they help? everyone in the bathroom will have a smoky smell when they come out and no one will be caught on camera.

It is more than financial, the legality of the situation can be an issue depending on where they are placed.

Wow i didn't realize i live down the street from a prison. :o They all wear the same clothing and have to walk through metal detectors into a building surrounded by a tall fence.

Okay, the point is they record who is in there at the time. By comparing the video tape showing people entering and exiting the restroom to the time when the smoke detector triggered, the school can determine who occupied the washroom at the time.

multiple people may be in the restroom at a time. they can't pinpoint who did the smoking based on a camera outside the restroom. i'm not sure you understand how the smoke detectors are setup in schools (and most buildings). when one detects smoke, the alarms all over the school go off, not just in the restroom. it is a whole school system, not a one room one.

The difference between cigarette smoke and body odor is that body odor is inevitable, while cigarette smoke is not. Smoke detectors would be useful anyway since they would detect a trash fire.

by law smoke detectors are in schools.

Regarding uniforms, I mailed a letter to Lamar HS giving the school reasons why not to use uniforms; I HATE the trend. I don't see how uniforms make schools more secure. There may be a few where uniforms help, but I liked going to school without uniforms. I do not see how uniforms help most schools.

it's not about you, there are rules that we must follow. uniforms make it easier to monitor who is actually in the school vs someone who just walks in. i don't see security as the primary reason for uniforms though. it helps put the students on a more even keel (rich vs poor) IMO.

James McSwain, the principal, claimed that it had to do with Columbine and 9/11 (the uniforms started in fall 2006): http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2007_4416999 - Needless to say, I smell BS.

no i think it's smoke. ;)

Does the computer determine which smoke detector came off? Of course all of the school's alarms go off, but doesn't the alarm system record which unit triggered? (I would think systems would have this feature, as investigators could use it to determine the origin of a fire)

multiple people may be in the restroom at a time. they can't pinpoint who did the smoking based on a camera outside the restroom. i'm not sure you understand how the smoke detectors are setup in schools (and most buildings). when one detects smoke, the alarms all over the school go off, not just in the restroom. it is a whole school system, not a one room one.

by law smoke detectors are in schools.

it's not about you, there are rules that we must follow. uniforms make it easier to monitor who is actually in the school vs someone who just walks in. i don't see security as the primary reason for uniforms though. it helps put the students on a more even keel (rich vs poor) IMO.

no i think it's smoke. ;)

Does the computer determine which smoke detector came off? Of course all of the school's alarms go off, but doesn't the alarm system record which unit triggered? (I would think systems would have this feature, as investigators could use it to determine the origin of a fire)

Vic, if you were a student and heard an alarm wouldn't that be a distraction for everyone in the school? let's just halt all school activities til we determine who was smoking in the bathroom. BE REALISTIC! :blink::wacko:

a fire alarm is for an emergency NOT to catch someone smoking in the bathroom!

Vic, if you were a student and heard an alarm wouldn't that be a distraction for everyone in the school? let's just halt all school activities til we determine who was smoking in the bathroom. BE REALISTIC! :blink::wacko:

a fire alarm is for an emergency NOT to catch someone smoking in the bathroom!

Of course students have to be evacuated first, but schools can (after the evacuation) determine why the detector sounded.

Smoke detectors can "kill two birds with one stone" - to detect trash fires AND naughty kids smoking. Most smoke detectors will trigger in either scenario anyway.

Of course students have to be evacuated first, but schools can (after the evacuation) determine why the detector sounded.

LOL most educators are concerned about teaching children, not catching smokers in the bathroom. stick with the prison warden curriculum. :D

It could catch a teacher smoking after having sex with one of her students. :rolleyes:

Actually I heard someone caught one of my middle school teachers in the classroom smoking cigarettes. I think this cost him his job. I never saw it and I never asked the administration...

Still, why smoke in a 2000s school classroom?

Archived