Need Cad

Any ideas who i should contact.. or does anyone know any free city sites or databases to download CAD from ?

I know i could go down to the City and pay to get certain areas as PDF... no different then if I got on HCAD.. but i know there's got to be a faster way than splicing pdfs together in photoshop before importing into CAD to use as a guide.

I know the whole city is out there on CAd somewhere.... how can I get my hands on it ?

I'm downloading the Harris County zip file now... looks promising.

Just looking for street maps for now.

I know I've seen somewhere online GIS maps with land uses and all kinds of other info. Eventually I'd like to find that site or others similar, but for now, street maps will do just fine.

Wow... that is an impressive file.. the entire county.. wow, Thanks.

Not quite what i'm looking for though.. I'd like to find one, like the HCAD pdfs, that shows the street ROWs and therefore blocks.

The downtown grid is coming up at 320x320 and not 250x250 since it's basically showing only center lines.

This map will be fun to play with, so thanks... but it's not quite what i need. Any other ideas Cdeb ?

Here is the City GIS site:

this should be what you are looking for

http://pwegis.pwe.ci.houston.tx.us/

This is a good source for parcel boundaries with HCAD data, building footprints (to the extent they're accurate), edges of pavement, etc., but if you download data, you're limited to a four square mile area at a time. Also, unless you have ArcGIS or MapInfo, you may have problems using all the data that's available to you.

This is a good source for parcel boundaries with HCAD data, building footprints (to the extent they're accurate), edges of pavement, etc., but if you download data, you're limited to a four square mile area at a time. Also, unless you have ArcGIS or MapInfo, you may have problems using all the data that's available to you.

I've had a hard time accessing it.

Only a couple times has it not timed out while its "Retrieving Data", and when it actually opened up, it never seemed to do so completely... there was never what I was expecting - the layer/folder controls.

I'm on a fast connection and have tried on the latest firefox and IE.. but it just isnt happening for me.

I've had a hard time accessing it.

Only a couple times has it not timed out while its "Retrieving Data", and when it actually opened up, it never seemed to do so completely... there was never what I was expecting - the layer/folder controls.

I'm on a fast connection and have tried on the latest firefox and IE.. but it just isnt happening for me.

I've noticed that that happens sometimes, and I'll be the first to admit that this program isn't very user friendly. Make sure your popup blocker isn't active. Also, be sure that you've only selected one layer and none of the others and that you're zoomed in far enough to see that layer.

I've noticed that that happens sometimes, and I'll be the first to admit that this program isn't very user friendly. Make sure your popup blocker isn't active. Also, be sure that you've only selected one layer and none of the others and that you're zoomed in far enough to see that layer.

well, i did figure out you dont see anything until you zoom in far enough... and from the home page on the left, i had told it i wanted to see parcels... so i guess it made that layer active when it opened the gis.. and i did in fact see the parcels.

But, the layer controls should be opening up in the actual GIS, and they're not for me. I have no control once I'm actually in it.

well, i did figure out you dont see anything until you zoom in far enough... and from the home page on the left, i had told it i wanted to see parcels... so i guess it made that layer active when it opened the gis.. and i did in fact see the parcels.

But, the layer controls should be opening up in the actual GIS, and they're not for me. I have no control once I'm actually in it.

Move your cursor over to the rightmost side of the screen, and the controls should slide outward. Then you have to go through all the directories of layers and turn off all the extraneous layers that are also active. Only then can you download "Parcels". Then, to download "Edge of Pavement", you have to turn off "Parcels" and select "Edge of Pavement", by itself.

Move your cursor over to the rightmost side of the screen, and the controls should slide outward. Then you have to go through all the directories of layers and turn off all the extraneous layers that are also active. Only then can you download "Parcels". Then, to download "Edge of Pavement", you have to turn off "Parcels" and select "Edge of Pavement", by itself.

Tried that.. nada.

I get a redbox show up in the lower right quadrant once i've zoomed a few times... but no legend.layers.nada.

Either

a ) this REALLY is incredibly un-user friendly

b ) i'm retarded

c ) my work computer can't handle it

d ) all of the above.

I rather it be a or b becasue if it's c I'm screwed since my work computer is much better than my personal laptop

Archived