Big-d Nye 08

I went to this event and it was a lot of fun. It was a cool vibe having the music going and fireworks going off all around you. They did not start promoting this event until late in my opinion. I did not start seeing advertisements until 2 weeks before hand, but promoters are hoping that this will turn into an event that will attract people from around the region. The majority of the people were coming out of the hockey game. But it was cool seeing people out on the balconies of the W, the AAC, the band stand etc. Just next year I'll bring my own alcohol. The vender situation was messed up. I'm sure this will grow into something bigger as they work out more of the bugs. Compare it to Times Square if you want. I will say this, the promoters never mentioned this to be the same as Times Square thing, but an event for Dallas. They brought up that exact topic in news clip a few days before hand. The city has never really had a successful central event. Civic leaders and others have tried to put something on like this several times either at Fair Park or in 1999 they tried something downtown by the BOA building, but to little success. I think having it at the AAC plaza with the media screens, sports fans, House of Blues, restaurants, Dart rail station etc. brings all the right pieces together. I know they are hoping to attract people from surrounding areas.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Houston (maybe San Antonio) had a New Year's similar celebration for several years now. I remember back several years ago seeing Houston's thing with a big a Texas Star dropping (Texas's version of the ball dropping). It looked very cool. This would have been back in the early 90's, and it was televised here in Dallas. Whether it be this event in Dallas, or the one in Houston its about time Texas (the second most populus state behind CA) represent the central time zone.

slfunk,

Last year, Houston tried a star RISING at midnite...then this year, nothing. Like Dallas' attempts at a sustainable annual party, Houston's attempts are marked by low attendance, little advertising, and one or two year runs before disappearing. Frankly, I believe very few of these attempts succeed anywhere outside of NYC. Maybe Times Square makes every other city's attempt look amatuerish by comparison. FWIW, I think Victory's attempt may have the best chance to succeed, given Hillwood's financial backing, WFAA's promotion, and AAC's dumping of fans onto the plaza a few hours before midnite.

I also think scheduling a hockey or basketball game to ensure 18 to 20 thousand people in the vicinty is a smart move, even though we have joked about it. If people see a crowd, they'll show. If not, they won't. Pretty simple, actually.

Archived