Lady In Northwest Houston Leaves Kids And Goes To Nigeria

VicMan

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/5430095.html

Some lady in 11000 block of Barker Grove Lane in Cypress in unincorporated northwest Harris County left for Nigeria, a country in Africa, without making arrangements with a sitter?

Eight children - including a 3 and 4 year old from a working father - sat in a roach-infested home with no money and no toilet paper under the care of a 15-year old.

In Texas it is legal to leave children home alone, but the state asks families to consider the ages of children and responsibilities. The 15-year old should not have had so much responsibility.

The family moved to Port Arthur from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. After Rita the family moved to the Houston area.

Anyway, this lady met the Nigerian man on the internet. Could he be a scammer? I know romance scammers from West Africa and Eastern Europe fool people.

Anyway, this lady met the Nigerian man on the internet. Could he be a scammer? I know romance scammers from West Africa and Eastern Europe fool people.

the point of the story isn't whether he is a scammer. she ignored her duty to her children.

Figured with that sort of dirtbaggish behavior she was probably from New Orleans. How does a freakish (and apparently jobless) single-mother with 8 young kids afford to live in that home? Some sort of Federal relocation program? Mortgage scam?

This story is so disturbing. What that women did to her children makes me sick to my stomach. It makes me even more sick that it happened close to where I live. And then, looking at that 2,800 sq. ft. house that the woman was allowed to move into thanks to government assistance (as it has been described to me) just puts it over the edge.

I have heard (so take it as what you will...) that the little 15 yo girl who was caring for her brothers and sisters actually called CPS because she had DRIVEN the car into the garage and was afraid she was going to get in trouble. She got the number from a website.

I really hope it works out for these children, but they are in a pretty bad situation as it stands. I doubt the mother ever comes back, but Nigeria is a pretty rough place so maybe she will get what is coming to her...

the point of the story isn't whether he is a scammer. she ignored her duty to her children.

It may not be the point of the story, but it would be strange if the "man" was a scammer. It would also show possible financial irresponsibility; romance scammers ask for money, and she did not bother checking to see if he was legit.

Figured with that sort of dirtbaggish behavior she was probably from New Orleans. How does a freakish (and apparently jobless) single-mother with 8 young kids afford to live in that home? Some sort of Federal relocation program? Mortgage scam?

She had 6 in the house and 3 elsewhere.

The elsewhere kids include:

* A 16-year old girl often with friends

* An incarcerated 14-year old

* An incarcerated 18-year old

Some guy named "Keith Hill" is listed as the owner of the home - The Chron could not contact him.

Two of the kids in the home (with the other six) were from a neighbor - a working man.

From: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=5871546

The mother had plans to leave the eight (including the 15-year old and the neighbor's kids) with an aunt, but this never materialized. This came from the grandmother of the kids.

It seems the neighbor should share some blame as well, if he was indeed dropping off his kids there knowing that no-one was watching them. Apparently, he was the one who was supposed to pick up the aunt from the bus-stop, so he must have known she was not there watching them. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE??????

I have always been a proponent of personal liberties, but the more stories I hear about this, and the other incident where a 12 y. o. beat his newborn sister to death with a baseball bat with no parent at home (posted in the off topic section)...make me think you should have to be licensed to be able to reproduce.

It seems the neighbor should share some blame as well, if he was indeed dropping off his kids there knowing that no-one was watching them. Apparently, he was the one who was supposed to pick up the aunt from the bus-stop, so he must have known she was not there watching them. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE??????

I have always been a proponent of personal liberties, but the more stories I hear about this, and the other incident where a 12 y. o. beat his newborn sister to death with a baseball bat with no parent at home (posted in the off topic section)...make me think you should have to be licensed to be able to reproduce.

Judging from the news reports I've seen and interviews with various neighbors I wouldn't be surprised if the government subsidized a number of Katrina families in that neighborhood. It's nice that they're so generous with our money... :angry:

It would also show possible financial irresponsibility; romance scammers ask for money, and she did not bother checking to see if he was legit.

possible financial irresponsibility? LOL when a woman leaves 8 children to fend for themselves, do you think she cares whether he is legit or about financial responsibility? be realistic. this woman has NO SENSE. i wouldnt categorize all nola residents like this but she sure doesn't help their reputation.

Judging from the news reports I've seen and interviews with various neighbors I wouldn't be surprised if the government subsidized a number of Katrina families in that neighborhood. It's nice that they're so generous with our money...

Really? I have to admit I dont head that way much, but I do occasionally play golf at Houston National, and this seems to be right there. What subdivistion is this in exactly?? The homes in Stonegate are very nice and well kept (at least the ones you see on the way to and on the course), I can't imagine these people living there.

I know it gets a little rough the further you head toward 529, but this appears to be pretty close to 290...

Really? I have to admit I dont head that way much, but I do occasionally play golf at Houston National, and this seems to be right there. What subdivistion is this in exactly?? The homes in Stonegate are very nice and well kept (at least the ones you see on the way to and on the course), I can't imagine these people living there.

I know it gets a little rough the further you head toward 529, but this appears to be pretty close to 290...

The house is in Barker Lake, which is across Barker Cypress from Stone Gate and Riata Ranch.

Stonegate is nice, it's not far from Barker Lake which itself isn't bad, save for these dirtbags who've no business being there. Home prices in that neighborhood, Barker Lake, range from $170's to the $290's. Not really the type of neighborhood you would expect the gov't to be dumping Katrina refugees in, if that's indeed the case.

Mrfootball, it seems like the woman who left the kids behind, 33-year old Shanell Monique Mosley, was indeed poor.

The guy who discovered the kids in the rotten conditions was... a man handing out a welfare check! http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/gen/a...Left_Alone.html - And the state believes that Mosley was unemployed.

And CPS believes that she was unemployed. She left a Lone Star food card for the kids, but it had no balance.

An arrest warrant was issued: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5435192.html

The neighbor who left the two tots knew Mosley was going to Africa; he drove her to the airport.

And they haven't heard from the mother.

Did the scammers (I suspect it was a group of scammers in Nigeria) get to her?

A woman on welfare has 7 kids (two in jail) so that she can get a fat check from the gubment and live in a $200K, 2800 sq.ft house in the suburbs. ARE YOU KIDDING???!!! How absolutely disgusting and messed up is it the our current govenrnment allows this type of thing to go on??? Government assistance in this country is sooo broken and is abused to no end. Just another example of why welfare from the government should be abolished and assistance for the indigent should be privatized. VOTE REPUBLICAN!!!!

J/K (about the vote part) seriously, I don't want to start a political debate....

Some guy named "Keith Hill" is listed as the owner of the home - The Chron could not contact him.
Judging from the news reports I've seen and interviews with various neighbors I wouldn't be surprised if the government subsidized a number of Katrina families in that neighborhood.

You all are looking way too far into this. She was most likely using a FEMA voucher to rent the house. This is going on in my neighborhood as well as many others through out the city. They treat these leased homes just like apartments. They use & abuse, then move out - all while lowering our neighborhood's home values.

This is speculation: Maybe the reason why the lady left the kids with so little stuff is because, if the Nigerian guy was a scammer, he could have asked her to bring thousands of dollars in cash. The lady was convinced to leave the kids with so little and maybe she thought she would be able to send money back at a later point.

Well, we haven't heard from her. I think the wolves got her.

People don't hand out welfare checks. They used to be mailed but people's mailboxes were being raided. I think they are direct deposited into bank accounts now. (Although I don't know anyone on welfare to ask....but my DH gets VA from being in GW I and that's how his is processed)

People don't hand out welfare checks. They used to be mailed but people's mailboxes were being raided. I think they are direct deposited into bank accounts now. (Although I don't know anyone on welfare to ask....but my DH gets VA from being in GW I and that's how his is processed)

i see the credit type cards quite a bit at the grocery stores. i won't even ask what "DH gets VA from being in GW" means...not sure what kind of service that is or if it involves an hourly motel.

Mrfootball, it seems like the woman who left the kids behind, 33-year old Shanell Monique Mosley, was indeed poor.

The guy who discovered the kids in the rotten conditions was... a man handing out a welfare check! http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/gen/a...Left_Alone.html

Timeout, Vic...he was making a check on the welfare (in this sense meaning the literal well-being) of the kids.

The welfare issue is just the icing on the cake for a complete and thorough government failure regarding Katrina.

Timeout, Vic...he was making a check on the welfare (in this sense meaning the literal well-being) of the kids.

The welfare issue is just the icing on the cake for a complete and thorough government failure regarding Katrina.

Whoops! It's my mistake, then.

Well, we still haven't heard from this lady. I hope she likes the guymen (a Nigerian pidgin name for 419 scammers) in Festac Town (or whatever part of Nigeria she is in).

I wish I could see her e-mails so I could tell if it was a scammer. If she met the guy through a spam e-mail or if I notice talk about bringing money or gifts, she is involved in 419 and her life is (or was) in danger.

I have heard somewhere that this lady had indeed lined up her sister (the kids' aunt) to come from Louisiana and stay with them while she was gone, but the aunt supposedly never made it to Houston because she didn't have the money to come.

It is unclear whether the Mom knew she wasn't coming and left anyway or left thinking she was on the way or what, but either way it's a sick sad sad story.

EDIT: the sister coming to stay part is in one of the links posted above, my bad... but either way, what a terrible woman to do something like that!

The lady who says she is the mother called CPS. The lady says that she is upset about how her plans to have care for the kids fell through. [url="http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/5448254.html

She says she is "trying to return to Houston" quickly; the Chronicle believes that she will not be back by her January 16 custody hearing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived