More Mod Glenbrook Photos

rps324

I told you all Stolitx was all piled up in mod glory. Here's the proof. Being a true "mod" she makes apologies for the country French stuff on the dining table, coming from her mother. At least her mother went country French while the rest of us (in the funny ad thread) endured our moms going just plain country....

DSCN0147.jpg

diningroom3.jpg

bbcbb3d1.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

That's a beauty.  I love the back/ pool area.  Plenty of room. Looks like there is much openess and access to outdoors from many rooms.  The dining room light fixture is unique.  Is that Googie? Is that original or a compilation of vintage parts and shapes?

Thanks for posting these rps & thanks for the compliments everyone.

What's so intersting about the house is that the pool is really in front of the house. The house is set far back on the lot. Still looking for some perfect retro patio furniture.

The dining room light is original. I love it! It wasn't working when we moved in but thank God for brothers that are small contractors. He was able to fix it for me. There are reproductions of similar lights in Rejuvenation's catalog.

The bar even looks different now. We added a mirror to the back to better reflect light and I did a major clearing out of the area.

I was lucky enough to find the original cabinet hardware for the kitchen hidden in the garage. The previous owners had added some hideous country Home Depot hardware everywhere.

I need to take updated pictures (the French Country has been moved around a bit to not be a focus). I'm putting new floors in this Spring to replace the bad peachy carpet. Hoping to find a tile that looks like Terrazzo. Any other suggestions or suggestions on where to find a Terrazzo tile?

Stolix - don't know about Terrazo tile, but as an alternative you might consider Cork, especially for living areas. It was used in the 'better' 50's houses, and is known for its durability, as well as being easy on the feet when used anywhere you stand a lot (kitchen, utility). Plus, dropped dishes don't break on this and it's not cold in winter like tile.

Believe it or not, Lowe's (!!) carries a few Cork styles/colors in a modern click-lock sandwich-laminate (cork glued to a laminate core), so installation is easy. The solid core means it won't hold dents from furniture, and it sells for under $5 sq/ft.

It took me a couple of tries to find someone at the BunkerHill Lowe's (Rob) that even knew they could order it, so be persistent.

Good luck! :D

Stolix - don't know about Terrazo tile, but as an alternative you might consider Cork, especially for living areas.  It was used in the 'better' 50's houses, and is known for its durability, as well as being easy on the feet when used anywhere you stand a lot (kitchen, utility).  Plus, dropped dishes don't break on this and it's not cold in winter like tile. 

Believe it or not, Lowe's (!!) carries a few Cork styles/colors in a modern click-lock sandwich-laminate (cork glued to a laminate core), so installation is easy.  The solid core means it won't hold dents from furniture, and it sells for under $5 sq/ft. 

It took me a couple of tries to find someone at the BunkerHill Lowe's (Rob) that even knew they could order it, so be persistent.

Good luck! :D

Thanks! I love cork, but didn't see it anywhere. I will hit up the Lowes to see about special orders!

• 2 years later...

I'm a little late adding to this topic, but I bought the mod down the street on Santa Elena from Stolix and had 2,000 square feet of Fritz Terrazzo Tile installed over the concrete floors. I'm happy with it. Would be happier if it was poured but that's way out my price range. The Terrazzo tile is very nice, good pattern with larger rocks.

I'm computer challenged so I can't fiqure how to post pics here...therefore rps will be posting some for me soon so we can show off the latest mod preservation in Glenbrook Valley. I've been collecting mod furniture, pottery, artwork, etc for many years so it looks pretty awesome.

I'm a little late adding to this topic, but I bought the mod down the street on Santa Elena from Stolix and had 2,000 square feet of Fritz Terrazzo Tile installed over the concrete floors. I'm happy with it. Would be happier if it was poured but that's way out my price range. The Terrazzo tile is very nice, good pattern with larger rocks.

I'm computer challenged so I can't fiqure how to post pics here...therefore rps will be posting some for me soon so we can show off the latest mod preservation in Glenbrook Valley. I've been collecting mod furniture, pottery, artwork, etc for many years so it looks pretty awesome.

I need to do an update on some of the houses in the hood that have made appearances on HAIF at one time or another. Yours looks great now. A lot of HAIF'ers saw it before when it was a "mod of the month." Of course it looks a million times better now. There are a few other "restovations" in there I need to get pics on to share. mdadm's for one! Also that big flagstone rancher on Colgate and of course the "precipitron" house on Glenview. The "precipitron" (below) was almost a goner. Abused to death, then the kitchen was hack-jobbed by a flipper. The final insult being a fire in the garage. It is being redone by the current owners and they have Kathy Heard AIA guiding the process so it should turn out nice.

IMG_0138.jpg

Looks like the perfect house for guests to lounge around inside and pool side. See the doors all aligned in a row, kind of like a motel. Nice. :P

My friends agree, it's the perfect spot to gather with a cocktail and sun. Although the weather this summer has inhibited pool parties this year. The pool was redone in the spring with new coping, tile and some stair work.

Here are the pics. The Fritz tile turned out great! Certainly an improvement over the sculptured shag!

IMG_0079.jpg

Jaimeshouse-03.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

Certainly an improvement from when it was mod of the month....

IMG_0259.jpg

Archived