Dallas At The Tipping Point

Dallas Morning News: Dallas at the Tipping Point

I found this special section to be quite interesting. What do you think can happen to Dallas as crime increases and education and quality of life decreases in many areas of that particular city?

(please merge or delete if duplicate thread)

The residents will migrate south to crime-free Houston. Seems like we are getting everyone from all directions. Gotta love it. :mellow:

What do you think can happen to Dallas as crime increases and education and quality of life decreases in many areas of that particular city?

There was no conclusion that increasing crime and decreasing quality of life are inevitable, but rather that those are risks the city faces if it is not able to address some of its "current" challenges.

The report itself is becoming a little stale. If you are truly interested in analyzing this topic, you should consider what has been occurring since the report was released - including decreases in crime, improvements in test scores, etc.

Perhaps DMN will be publising another update in the future to see what, if any, progress has been made.

Perhaps DMN will be publising another update in the future to see what, if any, progress has been made.

Agreed. At first, I thought this thread was referring to an update to the 2005 update.

It's a very compelling study and, although I disagree with some of the parameters and the methodology, it's a very intriguing look at how a city functions (or how it may be dysfunctional).

I found this special section to be quite interesting. What do you think can happen to Dallas as crime increases and education and quality of life decreases in many areas of that particular city?

(please merge or delete if duplicate thread)

To me.....Its all just a bunch of Papers.........Seeing is believing.....and if all of this development and progress thats been happening is a sign of decline,then I don't care if DTD ever turn around :rolleyes:

To me.....Its all just a bunch of Papers.........Seeing is believing.....and if all of this development and progress thats been happening is a sign of decline,then I don't care if DTD ever turn around :rolleyes:

Dallas does have plenty of great developments and progress. The issue is that Dallas just isn't the upscale neighborhoods around Uptown and the Victory Project itself. That is just a small fraction of the city. The rest of city has some real issues.

Dallas does have plenty of great developments and progress. The issue is that Dallas just isn't the upscale neighborhoods around Uptown and the Victory Project itself. That is just a small fraction of the city. The rest of city has some real issues.

I do agree with you to some degree,but I can say that alot of the more popular run down neighborhoods seem to be on the right track in regards to infrastructure and some key developments. So with this being said.......I really dont see a big difference between the status of Dallas as in any other U.S.Big city..........But I guess its because all news cant be good news and any city has and will always have room for improvement.......Trust me ....were getting it right...and if not....we'll just keep tryin until we do.......i mean....Isn't that what dallas has a reputation for?......go figure :rolleyes:

I do agree with you to some degree,but I can say that alot of the more popular run down neighborhoods seem to be on the right track in regards to infrastructure and some key developments. So with this being said.......I really dont see a big difference between the status of Dallas as in any other U.S.Big city..........But I guess its because all news cant be good news and any city has and will always have room for improvement.......Trust me ....were getting it right...and if not....we'll just keep tryin until we do.......i mean....Isn't that what dallas has a reputation for?......go figure :rolleyes:

Agreed. Dallas' has the same problems that most large U.S cities, including Houston have. My folks retired to Sugar Land, and I have a sister in another Houston burb. Ask them why the don't live in the city and they'll cite the same reasons I've heard surburb dwellers use in regards to just about any city I've been in. The city is s#@t..bad schools, homeless people, high crime, and rundown neighborhoods. Houston has many of the same problems Dallas' does, the Chronicle just didn't do a long, tired article about them, predicting gloom and doom. In the years since that article Dallas' has made some incredible strides and things here are only getting better.

Archived