Houston Road Designs - What Really Drives You Crazy?!

Subdude

OK, there's a topic to vent about the drivers, but I had to throw in my 2 cents about poorly designed roads. Most annoying feature? It has to be the lanes that serve as both entrances and exits on freeways, so cars are speeding up and slowing down and going in different directions in the same small space. Honorable mention goes to left-side exits off of freeways, such as the Allen Parkway-Pierce Elevated intersection. What were they thinking?

The city and county install 4-way stops as a reflex when roundabouts (if the right of way is available) would reduce delay, increase safety, reduce fuel usage, reduce emissions and be more aesthetically pleasing in nearly every case where a 4-way stop is used.

Honorable mention goes to left-side exits off of freeways, such as the Allen Parkway-Pierce Elevated intersection. What were they thinking?

Aren't they somewhat constrained by the bayou there?

No kidding---every single thing about Allen Parkway at the Pierce Elevated sucks: the southbound ramp to 45 with no merge lane. If it's not rush hour with slow traffic, you take your life in your hands. The northbound off ramp with its long blind spot, so that the south-bound exit ramp people who refuse to slow down can kill you. I feel like I'm cheating death twice a day, every day.

Runner up: all the lane changes you've got to make on 45 inside the loop, if you don't want to exit.

No kidding---every single thing about Allen Parkway at the Pierce Elevated sucks: the southbound ramp to 45 with no merge lane. If it's not rush hour with slow traffic, you take your life in your hands. The northbound off ramp with its long blind spot, so that the south-bound exit ramp people who refuse to slow down can kill you. I feel like I'm cheating death twice a day, every day.

We have always referred to that fiasco as "Suicide Lane". It really is. How they ever let that thing be created will always be a sad mystery.

As far as other bad road designs, we could write a book. You guys need to drive down Westpark ground level (was discussed a few months ago). It doesnt get any worse than this. The bottle necks start and stop then start then stop. Everyone rushes to squeeze in and oh it's just hellish. Bad planning apperandi! :angry: Pass the bottle...pleeeeaze.

Most annoying feature? It has to be the lanes that serve as both entrances and exits on freeways, so cars are speeding up and slowing down and going in different directions in the same small space.
if cars are going in different directions in the same lane then there is a problem. having a lane for a longer distance instead of having to merge quickly is a good thing.

No kidding---every single thing about Allen Parkway at the Pierce Elevated sucks: the southbound ramp to 45 with no merge lane.

Ditto. When I drove to classes at UofH, making that "merge" was a pain at rush hour. What was more annoying when impatient folks start beeping behind you not knowing what they're in for.

the NEW I-10 EAST exit from 610 northbound is crazy. you get about 15 feet to cut over to the right lane... ALL WHILE people are entering the freeway from the feeder IN THAT SAME RIGHT LANE. and most of those people are trying to get over to the left to take the I-10 West exit.

makes no sense.

610 heading south and trying to get over to 59 south. I had the pleasure of doing that over the weekend. Cars are about to ram into each other tying to get into the left lane to head towards Downtown. Also, heading north onto 610 and trying to exit onto Westheimer.

610 heading south and trying to get over to 59 south. I had the pleasure of doing that over the weekend. Cars are about to ram into each other tying to get into the left lane to head towards Downtown. Also, heading north onto 610 and trying to exit onto Westheimer.

Yep, that was an example I was thinking of. The lanes from the Galleria and from 610, exiting to 59 either north or southbound, merge for a short stretch so everyone can cut each other off trying to get to where they need to be. What is amazing is that the entire intersection was just redesigned and rebuilt. That was the best they could come up with? :wacko:

Aren't they somewhat constrained by the bayou there?

I don't see how. Most of the Pierce elevated is just built over the bayou.

I don't see how. Most of the Pierce elevated is just built over the bayou.

Not the Pierce itself, but the configuration of the ramps and the connection with Allen Pkwy. I'm not terribly familiar with that intersection as I don't drive that way much, so I was just asking.

Another scary merge is driving north on 59 (almost into downtown) then lane to 45 south narrows into one.

When this lane was first created it allowed 2 lanes of traffic to continue onto 45 South, then one miraculous day the road crew painted the stripes to force everyone to merge. Hence, they all jump in at last minute and it creates a big backup. Now this is one major entrance that should have been widened not narrowed? Pure insanity! Try it at rush hour. :wacko:

Another scary merge is driving north on 59 (almost into downtown) then lane to 45 south narrows into one.

When this lane was first created it allowed 2 lanes of traffic to continue onto 45 South, then one miraculous day the road crew painted the stripes to force everyone to merge. Hence, they all jump in at last minute and it creates a big backup. Now this is one major entrance that should have been widened not narrowed? Pure insanity! Try it at rush hour. :wacko:

it used to merge at 45 itself which caused problems on the through traffic on 45. now the through traffic flows unimpeded.

We have always referred to that fiasco as "Suicide Lane". It really is. How they ever let that thing be created will always be a sad mystery.

It was built in 1955, cars were slower back then, and designers didn't have as much experience designing freeways as they do now. I'm thinking what they need to do is do a lane restriping until they can rebuild the whole thing. At the Allen Parkway Exit on I-45 SB, make the two left lanes before you get there an "Exit Only lanes", restripe the left lane between the Allen Parkway onramp and offramp as a shoulder, and the onramp from Allen Parkway will now have its very own, safe lane to enter I-45 SB with, and I-45 will be back to its regular 3 lanes from W. Dallas to the US59/288 interchange.

Now, what I really hate are the onramps to 288 SB from Hamilton, Jackson St., and Chenevert St. The ramp from Jackson St. curves as your enter 288, and flies over the ramp from 59 to 288 and puts you right on 288 with little room for acceleration. So, you need to start getting up to freeway speed as soon as possible ie: if you're turning off of Elgin onto Jackson to get on 288, start your spirited acceleration there. The onramp from Hamilton is the worst of them all, no acceleration lane onto 288, and shortly before you get on 288, a short ramp from Chenevert merges onto the Hamilton ramp with no acceleration lane either. Pretty bad for a late 1970's design.

Now, what I really hate are the onramps to 288 SB from Hamilton, Jackson St., and Chenevert St. The ramp from Jackson St. curves as your enter 288, and flies over the ramp from 59 to 288 and puts you right on 288 with little room for acceleration. So, you need to start getting up to freeway speed as soon as possible ie: if you're turning off of Elgin onto Jackson to get on 288, start your spirited acceleration there. The onramp from Hamilton is the worst of them all, no acceleration lane onto 288, and shortly before you get on 288, a short ramp from Chenevert merges onto the Hamilton ramp with no acceleration lane either. Pretty bad for a late 1970's design.

Correct! I have to go throught that game of "chicken" in early am when still dark. There are always near misses. I just hope everyone has had thier coffee and alert but sure cant tell by they way they near collide. The idiots that speed highten the danger as they dart in and zig zag as if on a motorcycle. It just frightens the other drivers going at normal rates. Common sense should tell these people to enter with caution, but no its like jumping on the last life boat's as Titanic was going under. Every man for himself! :angry:

I think the absolute worst has been mentioned on here many times:

The on-ramp on the Spur where you have no acceleration lane and the concrete barrier prevents you from seeing the traffic you are merging into.

Scary as hell.

I think the absolute worst has been mentioned on here many times:

The on-ramp on the Spur where you have no acceleration lane and the concrete barrier prevents you from seeing the traffic you are merging into.

Scary as hell.

I don't know why they did that. They should've just

a. not added an onramp there and let traffic enter at Richmond

or

b. made the concrete barriers standard height at that point of the road instead of that super high stuff that looks to be better suited for center barriers.

b. made the concrete barriers standard height at that point of the road instead of that super high stuff that looks to be better suited for center barriers.

you might try and contact txdot. i know by my house they removed the older metal barriers and put concrete ones. there was a dip in the road which drained fine when it rained with the old barriers. with the concrete ones, they didn't provide a means for drainage so the area held water. after speaking with the right person, drainage was added.

The whole Spur 527 project seems like it was hastily done, they even got the street signs on the traffic light masts wrong, they say "US 59" when they should say "Spur 527", it's been almost 3 years like that! The old 1961 structure seemed designed better. They should've retained the old overpasses to keep the same general design and just widened it with new pillars and columns on the sides of the old structures, and completely rehabbed the original structure (ala Pierce Elevated 1996-1997) to accomodate the new HOV lane.

The whole Spur 527 project seems like it was hastily done, they even got the street signs on the traffic light masts wrong, they say "US 59" when they should say "Spur 527", it's been almost 3 years like that!

Why should they say Spur 527? Would most drivers know what that was? Isn't Spur 527 basically just an on-ramp/off-ramp for 59? When I'm driving around there and need to get to 59, I want to see a sign that says 59, not Spur 527.

What about feeder/frontage roads?

With the arguable exception of Missouri, Texas is the only state in the USA that widely constructs frontage/access roads along its highways state-wide, even in some rural areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontage_road

Why?

If eliminated, it would be a major beauty makeover for Houston. But it's probably not possible and will never happen.

The whole Spur 527 project seems like it was hastily done, they even got the street signs on the traffic light masts wrong, they say "US 59" when they should say "Spur 527", it's been almost 3 years like that! The old 1961 structure seemed designed better. They should've retained the old overpasses to keep the same general design and just widened it with new pillars and columns on the sides of the old structures, and completely rehabbed the original structure (ala Pierce Elevated 1996-1997) to accomodate the new HOV lane.

There were plans to eventually connect that Spur 527 it to 610 along where old Palm Center was and it just fizzled. They still can as right now it seems like such a waste of $$$. They should use that empty waste end of Spur 527 as a skating area or anything. what a waste it is. Has great views of DT skyline though. Dont ya just love how it backs up? Bad planning indeed. Let's hit the bell for another blunder.

-Ding-

What about feeder/frontage roads?

If eliminated, it would be a major beauty makeover for Houston. But it's probably not possible and will never happen.

Ack! Enough with your eyeballs. Texas' feeders are fantastic. They are useful, and that in itself is beautiful.

Ack! Enough with your eyeballs. Texas' feeders are fantastic. They are useful, and that in itself is beautiful.

I actually don't dislike them. I was wondering what everyone else thought. And I don't know if it's the feeders, but it seems like in other cities without them, it's more difficult to turn around and go the other way on the freeway if you've missed your exit.

They are useful, and that in itself is beautiful.

They actually need to install more on 45 around Friendswood area all the way to Baybrook Mall. Whenever there is the simplest backup everyone (especially trucks) jump over the curbs and cross over grass to the feeders anyway. Cops are seldom around to ticket and heck who can blame them?

They just didn't place when it was built, of course there was not so much development or residents living in that area at the time of construction. They wont install unless people complain or get petitions going.

Its amazing when everyone gets frustrated and exit off the entrance in desperation to get the hell of the frwy in major traffic jams. Madness but I dont blame them either.

Its amazing when everyone gets frustrated and exit off the entrance in desperation to get the hell of the frwy in major traffic jams. Madness but I dont blame them either.

That's funny b/c I remember seeing that a lot a long time ago, but haven't really witnessed it the past couple years. I travel 45 north most frequently.

edit...I guess the BOLD wasn't enough for me. Off the exits? Never seen that. I was just talking about people jumping the medians through the grass to the feeders; the normal way.

With the arguable exception of Missouri, Texas is the only state in the USA that widely constructs frontage/access roads along its highways state-wide, even in some rural areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontage_road

Why?

It is a TXDoT directive that was issued about 50 years ago, when access to private property in rural areas was at the top of many peoples' minds. What was then rural and near the major cities is now suburban, and commercial growth along what had been rural feeder roads made conversion to non-feeder impractical, even in cases of total reconstruction.

TXDoT's commitment to the old directive has wavered in the last couple decades, as can be evidenced along I-10 west of the Grand Parkway, parts of SH 288, and most of US 90.

The Grand Parkway is being built with feeders first, with main lanes only built as demand and funding warrant them. Given the willingness of many property owners to donate land to TXDoT outright to gain frontage on the feeders, it is entirely possible that they are actually as much a cost-saving mechanism as anything. There is even evidence that on parts of SH 288 where no feeders exist that private landowners will design and build them to increase accessibility to the most visible parts of their land, adding tremendously to their land value.

The Grand Parkway is being built with feeders first, with main lanes only built as demand and funding warrant them. Given the willingness of many property owners to donate land to TXDoT outright to gain frontage on the feeders, it is entirely possible that they are actually as much a cost-saving mechanism as anything. There is even evidence that on parts of SH 288 where no feeders exist that private landowners will design and build them to increase accessibility to the most visible parts of their land, adding tremendously to their land value.

Maybe I'm not completely understanding. But can't they still get access if it were set up like other cities by exiting to the next exit and then going down a road and around back to it? It's essentially the same thing, but the road is on the other side.

I guess it really doesn't matter though except for the aesthetics. Do feeders improve or worsen traffic efficiency?

Here's a good one.

Next time your in area behind Minute Maid Park go to Dowling and head north just about 2 blocks before you meet Harrisburg look to right and there is Rusk street? It just goes down into a huge mound of dirt and stops.

Its been like that for decades. Apparently the crew stopped and gave up. Very bizarre. To be clear the street continues like normal and as soon as it crosses Dowling it goes downward as if an underpass was in the works and stop! There is a old wood sign stating dead end. Too weird. Someone simply changed thier minds?

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formt...S&geodiff=1

Maybe I'm not completely understanding. But can't they still get access if it were set up like other cities by exiting to the next exit and then going down a road and around back to it? It's essentially the same thing, but the road is on the other side.

I guess it really doesn't matter though except for the aesthetics. Do feeders improve or worsen traffic efficiency?

You're talking about cities. I'm talking about rural or formerly-rural areas because that was the original justification. The feeder roads as we know them are the legacy of a rural past. In modern times, they are only built in metropolitan areas when mainlanes would be too expensive, if they need to dangle a carrot in front of landowners for ROW acquisition, or possibly if the landowners pay for them independently.

Traffic efficiency depends on the layout of the feeders, offramps, driveways along the feeders, and traffic volumes at each access point. The Houston area has plenty examples of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Archived