Do You Have New Year's Resolutions?

bachanon

my personal goals for '08 include:

walking/working out

be a better example and mentor

selling a rental property

taking classes (i need to know excel and access)

continue home improvements

buy a new car (my ten year vehicle turns ten in june)

commit more time to spiritual pursuits

commit more time to community involvement

take at least one vacation (i haven't left town in over a year)

finish reading the fellowship: the untold story of frank lloyd wright and the taliesin fellowship by roger friedland and harold zellman, searching for god knows what by donald miller, creator and the cosmos by dr. hugh ross, on becoming a real man by dr. edwin louis cole, bringing up boys by james dobson and catch up on texas monthly.

read velvet elvis by rob bell, revolution by george barna and ephemeral city.

wow, it has become clear why certain pursuits have suffered, no?

my personal goals for '08 include:

walking/working out

be a better example and mentor

selling a rental property

taking classes (i need to know excel and access)

continue home improvements

buy a new car (my ten year vehicle turns ten in june)

commit more time to spiritual pursuits

commit more time to community involvement

take at least one vacation (i haven't left town in over a year)

finish reading the fellowship: the untold story of frank lloyd wright and the taliesin fellowship by roger friedland and harold zellman, searching for god knows what by donald miller, creator and the cosmos by dr. hugh ross, on becoming a real man by dr. edwin louis cole, bringing up boys by james dobson and catch up on texas monthly.

read velvet elvis by rob bell, revolution by george barna and ephemeral city.

wow, it has become clear why certain pursuits have suffered, no?

Those are great , unselfish goals. I hope you achieve them all in 2008. Yes, they are quite ambitious, so you may need to devote extra time to #7. You're gonna need a little help!

Well, I plan on these things:

1) Sell my Oldsmobile.

2) Lose 100 Lbs.

3) Redo the flooring in my house.

4) Redo my daughter's bedroom.

5) Get the pool water back to BLUE !!!

i need to lose about 120 pounds. no kidding. i'm shooting for 5 pounds a month. i say that as i close the five pound box of premium nuts i received for christmas. guess i've had my handful for the day.

Those are great , unselfish goals. I hope you achieve them all in 2008. Yes, they are quite ambitious, so you may need to devote extra time to #7. You're gonna need a little help!

indeed

I don't make New Year's Resolutions, but the other day I decided I really needed to quit the habit of biting the inside of my mouth and my lip. My mom and my aunt have the same habit; I don't know why I do as well. I'm starting to see a crease on my chin and I don't like it one bit.

huh? i wonder if it is somehow a stress relief function. i pick at my cuticles when i'm stressed. it's embarrassing and it's unsightly. perhaps you should have someone film you. this could set off a trigger before you start. i do not usually realize i've started picking until someone else notices or i hear it (seriously). i had someone tell me i should start smoking. not gonna happen.

I don't make New Year's Resolutions, but the other day I decided I really needed to quit the habit of biting the inside of my mouth and my lip. My mom and my aunt have the same habit; I don't know why I do as well. I'm starting to see a crease on my chin and I don't like it one bit.

You're not alone...

http://www.43things.com/things/view/144460...ide-of-my-mouth

Interesting.

I suppose it could be stress as I really start chewing when I'm having computer problems or if I'm anxious about something. Or as that link suggested, a form of OCD. I've had mild forms since I was little.

bachanon:

huh? i wonder if it is somehow a stress relief function. i pick at my cuticles when i'm stressed. it's embarrassing and it's unsightly. perhaps you should have someone film you. this could set off a trigger before you start. i do not usually realize i've started picking until someone else notices or i hear it (seriously). i had someone tell me i should start smoking. not gonna happen.

So do I! In fact the nail biting, cuticle picking is something else I'm trying to break. Back in the summer one of my fingernails was going in all warped looking. A couple of months later, three more fingernails followed. I did some research that said it may be contributed to nail biting and picking. They look disgusting. I have to paint them before I go in public and sometimes I just don't want to mess with that. The four problem fingers also have black down in the cuticle, and no I didn't slam them in anything. My right thumbnail is starting to look a lot better.

I feel all diseased now talking about it.

Work out regularly --- work out two to three times a week instead of the every once in a while mentality I've been doing now.

Yeah, I've found that "every once in a while" mentality to be an absolute deal breaker. Way too much chance for feelings

(as in "I don't FEEL like it today") to creep in.

What works for me is an exercise plan that has a definite goal (4 times/week) so it's like a game, but that let's you mix it up a bit within that structure ("I'll go to the gym tomorrow instead of today; it doesn't matter as long as I meet my weekly goal").

that sounds severe. maybe if i had manicures i'd not do it as much. no, i haven't played piano for years. it's the lack of instrument playing, maybe! it's a subconscious result of not using a talent. or, maybe it's a lack of mimosas. ;)

Yeah, I've found that "every once in a while" mentality to be an absolute deal breaker. Way too much chance for feelings

(as in "I don't FEEL like it today") to creep in.

What works for me is an exercise plan that has a definite goal (4 times/week) so it's like a game, but that let's you mix it up a bit within that structure ("I'll go to the gym tomorrow instead of today; it doesn't matter as long as I meet my weekly goal").

that's the way i'm thinking. i have to have the walk/workout on the plate before my day begins. waiting until it's convenient or "i feel like it" never works.

bachanon:

that sounds severe. maybe if i had manicures i'd not do it as much. no, i haven't played piano for years. it's the lack of instrument playing, maybe! it's a subconscious result of not using a talent. or, maybe it's a lack of mimosas

Played the piano just yesterday! I take it in spells, though.

Well, I plan on these things:

1) Sell my Oldsmobile.

2) Lose 100 Lbs.

3) Redo the flooring in my house.

4) Redo my daughter's bedroom.

5) Get the pool water back to BLUE !!!

What Sell the Olds? Why on Earth? Let me know if you really get serious.

Need to lose weight

Work Less

Clean out my fathers old shop.

Add on to my Shop

Work on anger management more

Make more time for family

Just to get more thin.

As I mentioned in a topic about 3 months ago to get in shape, I have exceeded my goal and am still going for more/less. Never felt better. Had to buy smaller waist pants, belts, etc.

The community volunteer part you mention. I have been involved with numerous Non-Profit and Community based orgs for several years now. That alone will create a whole new life for anyone. Everytime there is an event, I make more friends and business contacts.

My last goal is to be more aggressive on learning the native languages of Spain and Italy. I learned years ago but got a bit lazy not practicing. Another reason I need to find a local theater that features Foreign films. :D

Cordiales saludos!

I'd like to:

1) Have more nights out with my friends (if I can pry them away from their husbands and kids)

2) Get a new challenging job

3) Go see more live music (now that the smoking ban is in place, that will be a lot easier). Might even host concerts in my house -- I've got the perfect room.

and of course:

4) Get healthier

The community volunteer part you mention. I have been involved with numerous Non-Profit and Community based orgs for several years now. That alone will create a whole new life for anyone. Everytime there is an event, I make more friends and business contacts.

That sounds good. Do you have any specific recommendations/suggestions? I guess it depends on what you're interested in, obviously.

That sounds good. Do you have any specific recommendations/suggestions? I guess it depends on what you're interested in, obviously.

Just PM'd you, hope you get.

At the moment, my resolution is not to murder while relatives are staying with me.

It's amazing how when they stay over Mass murder doesn't really seem like a totally unreasonable thing. <_<

That's hilarious. Your avatar evens emphasizes your angst. Can't help but think of Throw Momma from the Train.

1) Achieve better balance in my life (do not let home improvements take over all of my free time)

2) Successfully switch from evening to morning workouts

3) Come up with a better way to keep track of birthdays and anniversaries

4) Respect that there are multiple ways to get to the same destination and that my way isn't always the best one

5) Under now circumstances buy the Volvo wagon we are currently obsessing over

2) Successfully switch from evening to morning workouts

Oh my, doing that sucks! I'm not a morning person at all, I'm very much a night owl, so waking up at 0630 in the morning is so hard to do, especially when I start to think about the fact that if I don't get up to work out, I can basically sleep for another hour. But the evening workouts weren't really working out for me, especially if I had to work late, there was just no motivation to exercise when all I wanted to do was go lay on the couch and watch TV. I started out with one morning workout, now I've worked up to 3 mornings a week, next week I'm going to try 4! Now I can go home after work and watch TV without feeling guilty, since I did my workout in the morning. I could always try going to bed earlier I suppose.

If everyone would stop eating sugar, bread and heavy salt. You will be surprised how much weight you can lose by not eating this junk.

PS, Chromium Picolinate is a good fat burner and not costly. I just bumped up to 800 mcg so it burns more. I might need to slow down as I am getting too thin now. Clothes are too lose now. Thats a good thing right? :D

Archived