Memories Of Magnolia Park

Fez1964

This is great!

Please continue to add more info of this area.

I never realized that Magnolia covered so much territory. I can't recall if you added the actual square miles or end/stop line. Wasn't it like 75th street all the way to where Milby High School is?

In past East End topics, Broadway was described as a sort of downtown at one time. Brady's Landing is still a very popular site of high profile events. Very classy inside.

Here is some info on the website:

It is generally agreed that Brady

We're looking for individuals who might be interested in assisting us with Magnolia's 100 Year Anniversary. If you or a family member has photos that date back to 1909, we'd appreciate getting a copy of your photos.

We have established a website: www.conrad-kirksey.com - We have some photos there. Maybe you know some of those individuals or can provide some information about the photo(s). We'll be adding more photos and information as time goes by.

Feel free to post your questions or comments.

We have established a website: www.conrad-kirksey.com - We have some photos there. Maybe you know some of those individuals or can provide some information about the photo(s). We'll be adding more photos and information as time goes by.

Wonderful photos and good luck with the website! The photos showing De Zavala school students of the 1930s are cool. In one of your photos, I see Jesse Jones and Franklin Delano Roosevelt in what appears to be a parade. I assume this was taken in Magnolia but do not know of the details. Can someone provide information on this photo?

Also, the photos of the baseball teams show that they played in some kind of stadium. Was this stadium located in Magnolia?

We're looking for individuals who might be interested in assisting us with Magnolia's 100 Year Anniversary. If you or a family member has photos that date back to 1909, we'd appreciate getting a copy of your photos.

Feel free to post your questions or comments.

There are people still associated with this historical Houston Latin organization that can be of great help to you.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/...es/CC/vnc2.html

One of the photos in your link is what appears to be a formal event, I thought it might have been one of the earliest "Mexico Bello" Gala's. It could be? Everyone is dressed-to-the-nines in the pic.

I love these great historic photos but in those days everyone wrote on the back what the event and people were. When we scan we forget to indicate who the people were, etc.

If you need names for research just ask. Please encourage others in your org to join Haif, like now. Cheers! :)

Unfortunately not All pictures have information on back. Some of the pictures have dates and some Information, but not all clear. I will ask later to put on web . thks the web site is to see if anyone knows more information about the picture's.

In one of your photos, I see Jesse Jones and Franklin Delano Roosevelt in what appears to be a parade. I assume this was taken in Magnolia but do not know of the details. Can someone provide information on this photo?

This photo may be from FDR's visit to Houston in June of 1936. He and Eleanor, along with many other dignitaries took a 2 hour tour of the Houston Ship Channel from the Turning Basin to the San Jacinto Battleground. They boarded the private yachts, Captiva (the men) and Sumoria (Eleanor and the other ladies) at one of the public wharves at the Turning Basin. The Houston papers from that day have many details, also Bob Bailey has some wonderful photographs of the boats cruising on the Ship Channel with their very important guests, along with a boat load of paparazzi.

Now that would be a very rare pic indeed!

I bet there were still flamingos/white cranes and other beautiful wildlife still hanging out in the bayou areas then.

In fact there needs to be a mention of Buffalo Bayou tours in this very topic, I mean it is considered the far East End or Magnoli area you see. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your kind words and helpful suggestions. As I read your ideas, I realize that the Magnolia Park City Hall building at 7301 Avenue F should be declared a Registered Texas Historical Landmark. I will pursue this project as well.

Can someone provide me a history of the building? I understand that the City of Houston currently owns it. It looks like it is still in very good shape.

In my research, the old City Hall building of Magnolia Park at 7301 Avenue F served as Voting precinct #64 for the area before the precinct was moved to the YWCA building on Navigation. Can anyone provide information on this?

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any interested people willing to participate in preserving Magnolia Park History? Please feel free to browse www.gmppcc.com and read about the old city hall building on 7301 Ave.F and view pictures of the group. Mr.Chris Varela from Harris County Historical Commission has wrote a narrative on the building and is writing one for the community land marker for the centennial. On March 29, the group is going to meet at the American Legion on 7599 Ave. C and organize so that the project can start. The goal is to promote Magnolia Park and it's residents in surrounding its families in the past, present, and future. Please check calender on www.gmppcc.com to see time of meeting 3/29/08. Will post soon.

Is there any interested people willing to participate in preserving Magnolia Park History? Please feel free to browse www.gmppcc.com and read about the old city hall building on 7301 Ave.F and view pictures of the group. Mr.Chris Varela from Harris County Historical Commission has wrote a narrative on the building and is writing one for the community land marker for the centennial. On March 29, the group is going to meet at the American Legion on 7599 Ave. C and organize so that the project can start. The goal is to promote Magnolia Park and it's residents in surrounding its families in the past, present, and future. Please check calender on www.gmppcc.com to see time of meeting 3/29/08. Will post soon.

Just offering some tips on alerting those that may be interested. Create a short and simple poster like what you made above and post in local Houses of worship, community centers, bus transit centers, high school newspapers, baseball parks, grocery store boards, U of H, etc. Anywhere that families gather. In fact there are professors at U of H that would be honored to assist. Most important of all, make sure someone gets attendees emails for future follow up. It wouldnt hurt to notify the Chron with a small article notice.

I for one and proud that someone is finally acknowledging this underepresented area of this city. Best of luck to all of you! :)

Thank you for your suggestions vertigo hopefully this group will start to organize and use your ideas . I hope that blogging on this web site will reach more people in the community and surrounding communities interested in promoting the East end or as someone said East end Beginnings. Change is coming you can see it or be a part of it.

Thank you for your suggestions vertigo hopefully this group will start to organize and use your ideas . I hope that blogging on this web site will reach more people in the community and surrounding communities interested in promoting the East end or as someone said East end Beginnings. Change is coming you can see it or be a part of it.

HCC Campus on Rustic & 45/Woodridge is another great place to slap up some posters of your cause. University of Houston Main Campus boards allow such postings if told in advance.

Then there is a local Community-based radio station talk show that would love to air for you "on the house". Opportunity only knocks... :)

• 3 weeks later...
In 2009, the area in Houston's East End known as Magnolia Park or Magnolia, as we know it today, will complete 100 years of existence when it was declared a municipality in 1909. I have heard that there are celebrations in the works to honor the centennial. It has been suggested that Magnolia Park receive a Texas historical marker to honor the community.

Inspired by the efforts of Magnolia Park to get a Texas historical marker for the community, the Catholic church of Immaculate Conception has also shown interest in obtaining a historical marker as it nears its centennial anniversary in 2011.

Founded by Oblate Catholic priests in 1911, Immaculate Conception addressed at 7250 Harrisburg is perhaps Magnolia Park's oldest surviving institution. The church's influence goes beyond Magnolia Park. Immaculate Conception founded Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic church at 2405 Navigation in 1912. Then in the late 1910s, a priest from Immaculate Conception was visiting the newly developed Park Place community to conduct Mass for Catholics residing there. From this missionary effort, St. Christopher Catholic Church at 8150 Park Place Boulevard was organized in 1922.

It is my understanding that Immaculate Conception also had an influence in organizing Our Queen of Peace Catholic Church located at 3011 Telephone Road. The first church building used by Queen of Peace in 1942 was transferred from the property of Immaculate Conception. As I survey the Queen of Peace parish, I notice that there is a second smaller building on Telephone Road which resembles a church. Perhaps someone out there can collaborate this history.

And as the history of Immaculate Conception continues to be researched, other interesting aspects of the church may be uncovered. Stay tuned.

Inspired by the efforts of Magnolia Park to get a Texas historical marker for the community, the Catholic church of Immaculate Conception has also shown interest in obtaining a historical marker as it nears its centennial anniversary in 2011.

Founded by Oblate Catholic priests in 1911, Immaculate Conception addressed at 7250 Harrisburg is perhaps Magnolia Park's oldest surviving institution. The church's influence goes beyond Magnolia Park. Immaculate Conception founded Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic church at 2405 Navigation in 1912. Then in the late 1910s, a priest from Immaculate Conception was visiting the newly developed Park Place community to conduct Mass for Catholics residing there. From this missionary effort, St. Christopher Catholic Church at 8150 Park Place Boulevard was organized in 1922.

It is my understanding that Immaculate Conception also had an influence in organizing Our Queen of Peace Catholic Church located at 3011 Telephone Road. The first church building used by Queen of Peace in 1942 was transferred from the property of Immaculate Conception. As I survey the Queen of Peace parish, I notice that there is a second smaller building on Telephone Road which resembles a church. Perhaps someone out there can collaborate this history.

And as the history of Immaculate Conception continues to be researched, other interesting aspects of the church may be uncovered. Stay tuned.

More East End mysteries solved! Great addition of history Fez!

Now we see the loose ends all coming together in one nice bunch. This is like finding a distant relative after years of searching. :)

Immaculate Conception is mentioned here as well:

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/...es/MM/hvm6.html

• 1 month later...
In 2009, the area in Houston's East End known as Magnolia Park or Magnolia, as we know it today, will complete 100 years of existence when it was declared a municipality in 1909. I have heard that there are celebrations in the works to honor the centennial. It has been suggested that Magnolia Park receive a Texas historical marker to honor the community.

I am a member of the Harris County Historical Commission which oversees the county's historical marker program. I have completed historical marker projects for a few subjects including the historic Harrisburg-Jackson cemetery located off of Bowie St. and Lawndale St. near Milby High School.

Born and raised in Magnolia, it would be my honor to mentor a private effort to get the community a historical marker. Are there any interested groups willing to sponsor this project?

The effort to get a marker should begin soon so that it can be unveiled for the centennial celebration.

As I think of the marker, I wonder where it should be installed in the community? Perhaps it can stand as Magnolia Park's original City Hall at Avenue F and 73rd St. Or maybe it can stand in one the area's City parks or at one of the community's entrances.

As we prepare to recognize the centennial in 2009 for the community of Magnolia Park, I have come in possession of census records of the community for 1920 and 1930.

If you have roots in Magnolia Park during the 1920s and 1930s, contact me through a private email and perhaps I can share with you some family history. Census records can be a hit or miss and often offer some invaluable and interesting information.

Magnolia Park roughly extended from 65th Street to 80th Street and was bordered by the ship channel and Harrisburg Boulevard.

As we prepare to recognize the centennial in 2009 for the community of Magnolia Park, I have come in possession of census records of the community for 1920 and 1930.

If you have roots in Magnolia Park during the 1920s and 1930s, contact me through a private email and perhaps I can share with you some family history. Census records can be a hit or miss and often offer some invaluable and interesting information.

Magnolia Park roughly extended from 65th Street to 80th Street and was bordered by the ship channel and Harrisburg Boulevard.

This would be of great benefit to anyone that even lived in the area or had a business in Magnolia. Even if you divulge a last name never know you may have had distant relatives in this area once?

Way to go Fez! :)

This would be of great benefit to anyone that even lived in the area or had a business in Magnolia. Even if you divulge a last name never know you may have had distant relatives in this area once?

Way to go Fez! :)

I second that, Way to go, Fez! I hope the marker gets approved. The East End needs this kind of recognition.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would tell you all a little bit about my great-grandmother, Nena E. Stanaker. She was born in 1892 in Cuero, Texas and spent her childhood there. From family stories, I've heard that she grew up on a working ranch, where she learned the fine art of cooking, from her mom. Her mother & father were both Texans; her dad died young, and her mom never remarried, raised three children by being the ranch cook. Sometime after her father's death, and as a young lady, Nena moved to Houston, where she met my great-grandfather, Francis E. Stanaker, whose family traces back to the Northern United States. They married in 1910, and settled in Magnolia Park (Central Park). In 1911, their only son was born. Nena spent the remainder of her married life caring for her family, and serving the East End in one capacity or another. Early census records from 1920 show Nena listed herself with "no occupation". (I have to smile at that statement). In the same census records, my great-grandfather was recorded as being an "Engineer" for a building company. This is where I realize he had the knowledge and/or skill to build their own family home, as well as rental properties. I've been told Nena was active in the local political arena, may have held the title of precinct judge. I know for a fact she was, at one time, President of the PTA at Franklin Elementary School as well as a life member. She had a gift as a talented orator, was at ease talking to a crowd as easily as one person. She thrived in the social arena. I have been told she had many friends who at times referred to her as the unofficial mayor of the East End. From articles I've read, I know that Nena helped organize and maintain a library for East End children, through the school system, before a library building was built in Central Park. It was first named simply Central Park Library, was later dedicated to her. Although I know of no formal education she received after high school, Nena undoubtedly recognized the importance of education & more specifically, reading, especially to young children. It was a cause she promoted most of her life. As for my own impression, I remember her as a very relaxed, slow talking great-grandmother, who preferred to be called by her name, Nena. I would not realize until years later that was her real first name. (I thought it was a name like nana). She was a very tall, "salt-of-the-earth" Texas woman who towered over me, was soft-spoken, but at the same time very strong. She was a naturalist, who was at ease outdoors, whether it be cleaning her yard, taking care of animals, wild & tame, or simply sitting on her front porch. She once said "you need to leave water out for the animals". She obviously loved and cared for all living things. From time spent with my grandmother Camille, I know of two books that were among Nena's favorites: the first is one about North American birds and another is about trees. She was a huge baseball fan, and obviously passed that love on to her grandson, my father. From my own experience, I can say that nights spent with Nena included listening to the baseball game on the transister radio, while we were falling to sleep. She was most comfortable on the East, blue-collar side of town, where she fought for the "working man". Along with her many Anglo friends, she was just at ease among her Spanish-speaking neighbors, some of whom eventually purchased her home and rental properties. (My greatgrandparents address - bungalow was located at 7102 Ave. E.) They had rental properties on each side of their own house. I can't imagine Nena living anywhere else. She never drove a car, she walked many places, the corner grocery that her friends "The Wu's" owned, or the bus stop (to ride downtown) to shop. In the East End for many years, you simply didn't need an automobile. Nena was a huge presence within her own family. I have clear memories of her cooking enormous Christmas Eve feasts for our big family gatherings. Everyone sought my greatgrandmother out for her cooking & her "worldly advice" about life. Above all else, I remember Nena's great love of the East End of Houston, and more specifically, Magnolia Park. This is why I chose "NenaE" for my HAIF name.

link: http://www.soulpixel.com/centennial/named_building_f.html

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk109/N...otos/NenaE2.jpg

Here's a picture of Nena with me, my sister, and a kitten, in the early 1960's. Her house is in the background.

Edited by NenaE

• 3 weeks later...

This is kind of Magnolia related:

New East End Campaign Office Opening!

Hon. Gene Green. Hon. Sylvia Garcia. Hon. Mario Gallegos. Hon. Rick Noriega. Hon. Jessica Farrar. Hon. Ana Hernandez. Hon. Adrian Garcia. Hon. Carol Alvarado. These are local Democrats that we can be proud of, and 2008 is the year that they will make a difference for all Texans. We need your help in making sure our local candidates become the elected leaders we need. Please join us and many of our candidates this Saturday, July 26th, from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon, at 201 Broadway as we open the doors to our new East End Campaign Office for the Harris County Democratic Party's Coordinated Campaign.

We will be serving hot dogs and cold drinks as we welcome you to your local Democratic headquarters. An exciting program featuring master of ceremonies Constable Victor Trevino, other elected officials, raffle drawings every 15 minutes, and a special guest from the two-time MLS Champions Houston Dynamo will kick off promptly at 11:00 am. We know many of our neighbors volunteered at this location for Senator Hillary Clinton, and we hope you will come back to support our Democrats up and down the ballot once more. The energy in our March Primary was unprecedented, and we need it again to make sure that Democrats win all over the state and in our community. The Republicans in Harris County have proven they will do whatever it takes to hold on to their offices, and it will take all of our effort to restore integrity and accountability to our public officials.

We now need your help to fill up our office, not only with yourselves on Saturday, but with your time, your talent, and any of the following items:

• Refrigerator
  • Rolling desk chairs
  • Office Supplies
  • Kitchen & Restroom Supplies

Again, we hope you will join us, your candidates, and your public officials this weekend for the fun and festivities at our new East End Campaign Office, so we can build momentum to Turn Texas Blue.See you there!

Marina N. Hernandez-Quiroz

East End Field Organizer

713 926-1334

• 3 weeks later...
This is kind of Magnolia related:

New East End Campaign Office Opening!

Hon. Gene Green. Hon. Sylvia Garcia. Hon. Mario Gallegos. Hon. Rick Noriega. Hon. Jessica Farrar. Hon. Ana Hernandez. Hon. Adrian Garcia. Hon. Carol Alvarado. These are local Democrats that we can be proud of, and 2008 is the year that they will make a difference for all Texans. We need your help in making sure our local candidates become the elected leaders we need. Please join us and many of our candidates this Saturday, July 26th, from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon, at 201 Broadway as we open the doors to our new East End Campaign Office for the Harris County Democratic Party's Coordinated Campaign.

We will be serving hot dogs and cold drinks as we welcome you to your local Democratic headquarters. An exciting program featuring master of ceremonies Constable Victor Trevino, other elected officials, raffle drawings every 15 minutes, and a special guest from the two-time MLS Champions Houston Dynamo will kick off promptly at 11:00 am. We know many of our neighbors volunteered at this location for Senator Hillary Clinton, and we hope you will come back to support our Democrats up and down the ballot once more. The energy in our March Primary was unprecedented, and we need it again to make sure that Democrats win all over the state and in our community. The Republicans in Harris County have proven they will do whatever it takes to hold on to their offices, and it will take all of our effort to restore integrity and accountability to our public officials.

We now need your help to fill up our office, not only with yourselves on Saturday, but with your time, your talent, and any of the following items:

• Refrigerator
  • Rolling desk chairs
  • Office Supplies
  • Kitchen & Restroom Supplies

Again, we hope you will join us, your candidates, and your public officials this weekend for the fun and festivities at our new East End Campaign Office, so we can build momentum to Turn Texas Blue.See you there!

Marina N. Hernandez-Quiroz

East End Field Organizer

713 926-1334

Yes, being that the Magnolia Park area is predominantly Hispanic and traditionally, Mexican-Americans have voted as Democrats, I would be surprised to see the Republicans install a campaign office in the area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I second that, Way to go, Fez! I hope the marker gets approved. The East End needs this kind of recognition.

The Magnolia Park Historical Preservation Association (MPHPA) continues to meet monthly in our efforts to secure Texas Historical Commission markers for the community. If everything goes as planned, the markers should be unveiled to the public in October of 2009 with a community-wide celebration.

Click on this link, http://www.magparkhou.com/ and scroll down the page for meeting dates of the MPHPA. We are in a fundraising stage at this point.

The Magnolia Park Historical Preservation Association (MPHPA) continues to meet monthly in our efforts to secure Texas Historical Commission markers for the community. If everything goes as planned, the markers should be unveiled to the public in October of 2009 with a community-wide celebration.

Click on this link, http://www.magparkhou.com/ and scroll down the page for meeting dates of the MPHPA. We are in a fundraising stage at this point.

You should also put your announcement in the Community Announcements section of this forum, and note your meetings in the public calendar for increased exposure.

The Magnolia Park Historical Preservation Association (MPHPA) continues to meet monthly in our efforts to secure Texas Historical Commission markers for the community of Magnolia Park in southeast Houston. If everything goes as planned, the markers should be unveiled to the public in October of 2009 with a community-wide celebration.

• 1 month later...

Thanks goes out to the Special Recreation Services, Inc. for raising the money to fund the Registered Texas Historical Landmark marker for the Magnolia Park City Hall & Central Fire Station located at 7301 Avenue F. We hope to unveil this Texas Historical Commission marker in late 2009.

Thanks goes out to the Special Recreation Services, Inc. for raising the money to fund the Registered Texas Historical Landmark marker for the Magnolia Park City Hall & Central Fire Station located at 7301 Avenue F. We hope to unveil this Texas Historical Commission marker in late 2009.