Memories Of Magnolia Park

Fez1964

Thanks goes out to the Special Recreation Services, Inc. for raising the money to fund the Registered Texas Historical Landmark marker for the Magnolia Park City Hall & Central Fire Station located at 7301 Avenue F. We hope to unveil this Texas Historical Commission marker in late 2009.

Thant's great news Fez...that's where my great-grandmother spent many a day(from the stories I have heard)...never visited this place with her...too bad, I never new of it. Will check it out soon...great old photograph.

Thant's great news Fez...that's where my great-grandmother spent many a day(from the stories I have heard)...never visited this place with her...too bad, I never new of it. Will check it out soon...great old photograph.

Here is a photo of how the building currently looks like. If you visit the building during normal business hours, drop in and thank the management of the Special Recreation Services for funding the Texas Historical Commission marker. The Magnolia Park Historical Preservation Association would also like to thank the General Services Dept. of the City of Houston for allowing us to move forward with project on property that they own.

post-2164-1229700765_thumb.jpg

Can any provide background or information on the brick building on the northeast corner of Wayside Dr. and Harriburg Blvd. which used to be an old telephone exchange for Southwestern Bell? As early as 1925, the property had some kind of telephone exchange structure on it according to some old Sanborn maps.

The building is solid and looks structurally sound but I see no traffic entering it. Is it currently being used for something?

Can any provide background or information on the brick building on the northeast corner of Wayside Dr. and Harriburg Blvd. which used to be an old telephone exchange for Southwestern Bell? As early as 1925, the property had some kind of telephone exchange structure on it according to some old Sanborn maps.

The building is solid and looks structurally sound but I see no traffic entering it. Is it currently being used for something?

I imagine it still holds all the circuitry for all the phones in that part of town. (Central Office - Wayside Exchange)

Most of it is automated now, so there wouldn't be a reason for a lot of people to go in and out of the building.

I know exactly which bldg. you both are talking about. I was always curious about that place because (if I can recall correctly) it doesn't have any or many windows, and I never saw anyone come in or out of it. It just king of stood there like a statue. It was right by the Sears on Harrisburg. Wonder when it was built, tan brick...I'm guessing late 40's-early 50's.

• 3 weeks later...

The Magnolia Park Historical Preservation Association (MPHPA) would like to thank the Greater East End District for graciously sponsoring the Texas Historical Commission marker honoring the community of Magnolia Park's history that will be installed in Hidalgo Park later this year.

The Magnolia Park Historical Preservation Association (MPHPA) would like to thank the Greater East End District for graciously sponsoring the Texas Historical Commission marker honoring the community of Magnolia Park's history that will be installed in Hidalgo Park later this year.

That's great news! Keep us posted.

• 1 month later...

Thanks goes out to Ernesto Nieto of the National Hispanic Institute for co-sponsoring with the Magnolia Park Historical Preservation Association the Texas Historical Commission marker that will be installed in De Zavala Park.

But we have encountered a "snag" in our efforts to install two duplicate community markers. According to their current policy, the Texas Historical Commission disapproved our application to have a duplicate marker for the community installed in Hidalgo Park. Needless to say, we are petitioning with the Texas Historical Commission to reconsider their decision. In our defense, we have cited that the Heights community has duplicate markers for the neighborhood. One is at the Heights public library and the second one is on Heights Boulevard near I-10.

We also received final approval from the state commission for the marker to be installed at the Magnolia Park City Hall & Central Fire Station building addressed at 7301 Avenue F and plan to move forward with that project.

• 1 month later...

Thanks goes out to Ernesto Nieto of the National Hispanic Institute for co-sponsoring with the Magnolia Park Historical Preservation Association the Texas Historical Commission marker that will be installed in De Zavala Park.

But we have encountered a "snag" in our efforts to install two duplicate community markers. According to their current policy, the Texas Historical Commission disapproved our application to have a duplicate marker for the community installed in Hidalgo Park. Needless to say, we are petitioning with the Texas Historical Commission to reconsider their decision. In our defense, we have cited that the Heights community has duplicate markers for the neighborhood. One is at the Heights public library and the second one is on Heights Boulevard near I-10.

We also received final approval from the state commission for the marker to be installed at the Magnolia Park City Hall & Central Fire Station building addressed at 7301 Avenue F and plan to move forward with that project.

Hello everyone..i am so excited to read all this for the first time. I actually grew up right down the street from the original City Hall on Avenue F. I have wonderful memories of the fire station that used to be there with the big shiny red firetrucks parked out front. We used walk over there to get a coke out of their old time coke machines..probably paid a nickle, or a dime at most. The firemen would be out front washing their trucks. My parents house is still there and we kids all inherited it when they passed away. Everytime i visit the old barrio i have major flashbacks. Magnolia Park back in the 60's was like Mayberry. It was so pretty with little bungalows lining the streets and the little store called Wu's Food Market on the corner of Avenue F and 74th st. I went to Edison jr high and Austin high school. I am so happy to hear about the historical marker at the City Hall building. I always knew that was a special building that deserved special recognition! THANK YOU FOR ALL THE FINE WORK IN RECOGNIZING IT!

I thought I would tell you all a little bit about my great-grandmother, Nena E. Stanaker. She was born in 1892 in Cuero, Texas and spent her childhood there. From family stories, I've heard that she grew up on a working ranch, where she learned the fine art of cooking, from her mom. Her mother & father were both Texans; her dad died young, and her mom never remarried, raised three children by being the ranch cook. Sometime after her father's death, and as a young lady, Nena moved to Houston, where she met my great-grandfather, Francis E. Stanaker, whose family traces back to the Northern United States. They married in 1910, and settled in Magnolia Park (Central Park). In 1911, their only son was born. Nena spent the remainder of her married life caring for her family, and serving the East End in one capacity or another. Early census records from 1920 show Nena listed herself with "no occupation". (I have to smile at that statement). In the same census records, my great-grandfather was recorded as being an "Engineer" for a building company. This is where I realize he had the knowledge and/or skill to build their own family home, as well as rental properties. I've been told Nena was active in the local political arena, may have held the title of precinct judge. I know for a fact she was, at one time, President of the PTA at Franklin Elementary School as well as a life member. She had a gift as a talented orator, was at ease talking to a crowd as easily as one person. She thrived in the social arena. I have been told she had many friends who at times referred to her as the unofficial mayor of the East End. From articles I've read, I know that Nena helped organize and maintain a library for East End children, through the school system, before a library building was built in Central Park. It was first named simply Central Park Library, was later dedicated to her. Although I know of no formal education she received after high school, Nena undoubtedly recognized the importance of education & more specifically, reading, especially to young children. It was a cause she promoted most of her life. As for my own impression, I remember her as a very relaxed, slow talking great-grandmother, who preferred to be called by her name, Nena. I would not realize until years later that was her real first name. (I thought it was a name like nana). She was a very tall, "salt-of-the-earth" Texas woman who towered over me, was soft-spoken, but at the same time very strong. She was a naturalist, who was at ease outdoors, whether it be cleaning her yard, taking care of animals, wild & tame, or simply sitting on her front porch. She once said "you need to leave water out for the animals". She obviously loved and cared for all living things. From time spent with my grandmother Camille, I know of two books that were among Nena's favorites: the first is one about North American birds and another is about trees. She was a huge baseball fan, and obviously passed that love on to her grandson, my father. From my own experience, I can say that nights spent with Nena included listening to the baseball game on the transister radio, while we were falling to sleep. She was most comfortable on the East, blue-collar side of town, where she fought for the "working man". Along with her many Anglo friends, she was just at ease among her Spanish-speaking neighbors, some of whom eventually purchased her home and rental properties. (My greatgrandparents address - bungalow was located at 7102 Ave. E.) They had rental properties on each side of their own house. I can't imagine Nena living anywhere else. She never drove a car, she walked many places, the corner grocery that her friends "The Wu's" owned, or the bus stop (to ride downtown) to shop. In the East End for many years, you simply didn't need an automobile. Nena was a huge presence within her own family. I have clear memories of her cooking enormous Christmas Eve feasts for our big family gatherings. Everyone sought my greatgrandmother out for her cooking & her "worldly advice" about life. Above all else, I remember Nena's great love of the East End of Houston, and more specifically, Magnolia Park. This is why I chose "NenaE" for my HAIF name.

link: http://www.soulpixel.com/centennial/named_building_f.html

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk109/N...otos/NenaE2.jpg

Here's a picture of Nena with me, my sister, and a kitten, in the early 1960's. Her house is in the background.

Nena...thanks for the story. I grew up on the 72nd and Ave F..I have vivid memories of the library. I used to love to go there when i was at Franklin! I always wondered who Nena Stanaker was! The Wu's were great friends of ours too. They made everyone happy, especially all the free bags of penny candy we would get when Mom bought groceries. Magnolia was such a great neighborhood...i have so so many memories. Thanks for the bio!

Nena...thanks for the story. I grew up on the 72nd and Ave F..I have vivid memories of the library. I used to love to go there when i was at Franklin! I always wondered who Nena Stanaker was! The Wu's were great friends of ours too. They made everyone happy, especially all the free bags of penny candy we would get when Mom bought groceries. Magnolia was such a great neighborhood...i have so so many memories. Thanks for the bio!

You're welcome...I remember the Wu's giving me & my sister brown paper sacks with those almond windmill cookies in them. :D Strange what the mind remembers. I remember the Wu's wooden corner store with screen door, wooden floors. There was another little corner store on Sherman & 71st. Nena would bring us ice cream from that one. That neighborhood had a unique mix of different architecture, bungalows, brick & stucco 4-plexes, small duplexes, tiny shotgun styles...left an impression on me.

You're welcome...I remember the Wu's giving me & my sister brown paper sacks with those almond windmill cookies in them. :D Strange what the mind remembers. I remember the Wu's wooden corner store with screen door, wooden floors. There was another little corner store on Sherman & 71st. Nena would bring us ice cream from that one. That neighborhood had a unique mix of different architecture, bungalows, brick & stucco 4-plexes, small duplexes, tiny shotgun styles...left an impression on me.

yes i remember that one..actually i think it's still there! But do you remember the store owned by the Rahman's on 71st street on Ave E? I used to go to school with Sally Rahman and then after 6th grade she moved away who knows where! I still remember everything so clearly. And then there was the Carrabba's store over on Canal and 74th. I can still see it in my minds eye. And look at those kids now, running all those restaurants! Memories are great...

yes i remember that one..actually i think it's still there! But do you remember the store owned by the Rahman's on 71st street on Ave E? I used to go to school with Sally Rahman and then after 6th grade she moved away who knows where! I still remember everything so clearly. And then there was the Carrabba's store over on Canal and 74th. I can still see it in my minds eye. And look at those kids now, running all those restaurants! Memories are great...

I don't remember that store name or restaurants very well, just Dinner Bell, Sears, the 7-up Bottling Plant at the end of Harrisburg Blvd. with the Frosty (elf w/ bottle cap) sign (it's not there anymore), a big mansion with fancy columns with bums in the yard, and that carwash (my gmother went to) down from Sears. It's still there. And Burger King. That was in the 60's. :) The retail area seemed to be concentrated in that area by the Sears. Those older bldgs always caught my eye. One I went in with my grandmothers was a five & dime. Sanborn maps show a theater was at 6635/6637 Harrisburg Rd. at one time. IMO, Harrisburg Rd. is very underappreciated for its visual history. It has some great old bldgs. & rich history. I'm going to take some more pics, soon.

One thread on HAIF has some great pics of old Houston, including Harrisburg Rd. Isuredid had some great contributions.I'll see if I can find it.

I don't remember that store name or restaurants very well, just Dinner Bell, Sears, the 7-up Bottling Plant at the end of Harrisburg Blvd. with the Frosty (elf w/ bottle cap) sign (it's not there anymore), a big mansion with fancy columns with bums in the yard, and that carwash (my gmother went to) down from Sears. It's still there. And Burger King. That was in the 60's. :) The retail area seemed to be concentrated in that area by the Sears. Those older bldgs always caught my eye. One I went in with my grandmothers was a five & dime. Sanborn maps show a theater was at 6635/6637 Harrisburg Rd. at one time. IMO, Harrisburg Rd. is very underappreciated for its visual history. It has some great old bldgs. & rich history. I'm going to take some more pics, soon.

One thread on HAIF has some great pics of old Houston, including Harrisburg Rd. Isuredid had some great contributions.I'll see if I can find it.

yes, i remember all those things quite well also. In my teen years, I used to work at the Sears.There definitely was a movie theatre on Harrisburg, my older siblings used to talk about walking to it. I think it was gone by the time i was born. I do remember the bowling alley on Harrisburg that went on to become Latin World. And the five and dime i remember was over by Sears. I guess it was called Kress and then there was Grants next to it. Across the street was a Madding Drug Store. Over by the bowling alley there was a Western Auto and a Haverty's Furniture or Hovas Furniture, one or the other.

yes, i remember all those things quite well also. In my teen years, I used to work at the Sears.There definitely was a movie theatre on Harrisburg, my older siblings used to talk about walking to it. I think it was gone by the time i was born. I do remember the bowling alley on Harrisburg that went on to become Latin World. And the five and dime i remember was over by Sears. I guess it was called Kress and then there was Grants next to it. Across the street was a Madding Drug Store. Over by the bowling alley there was a Western Auto and a Haverty's Furniture or Hovas Furniture, one or the other.

Ah, yes, Latin World, remember that one too...the stairs/ entrance was very close to the road, raised up. Do you remember seeing a little round bldg that resembled a planetarium? I always wondered what it was. :huh: May have been on Canal. And that mansion I can't seem to find now? I know it sat on a busy road (want to say Harrisburg) and it had a fence around it, was like a church mission place, to help people, had tall columns & a huge yard in front of it. Was similar to that old 2-story school, but wasn't brick.

Ah, yes, Latin World, remember that one too...the stairs/ entrance was very close to the road, raised up. Do you remember seeing a little round bldg that resembled a planetarium? I always wondered what it was. :huh: May have been on Canal. And that mansion I can't seem to find now? I know it sat on a busy road (want to say Harrisburg) and it had a fence around it, was like a church mission place, to help people, had tall columns & a huge yard in front of it. Was similar to that old 2-story school, but wasn't brick.

dont exactly remember where the round building was. I vaguely remember it though. As far as the big house goes, there were quite a few at one time or another. There was a big house on the corner of 71st and Harrisburg. Then if I remember right there was The Houston Press" building diagonal from there, by the bowling alley (Latin World). There used to be (or still is) a mission home way down Harrisburg like past 66th (over the tracks). It has been rehabbed, but used to be an old school or old house. There was also a mysterious house on Wayside and Polk on the site of where the Fiesta grocery store is now. Across the street from the golf course.

I just remember when I was in high school everyone used to talk about it, I think it was famous somehow..but now sure why. Then one day it was gone and the grocery store and a pizza hut sprang up.

dont exactly remember where the round building was. I vaguely remember it though. As far as the big house goes, there were quite a few at one time or another. There was a big house on the corner of 71st and Harrisburg. Then if I remember right there was The Houston Press" building diagonal from there, by the bowling alley (Latin World). There used to be (or still is) a mission home way down Harrisburg like past 66th (over the tracks). It has been rehabbed, but used to be an old school or old house. There was also a mysterious house on Wayside and Polk on the site of where the Fiesta grocery store is now. Across the street from the golf course.

I just remember when I was in high school everyone used to talk about it, I think it was famous somehow..but now sure why. Then one day it was gone and the grocery store and a pizza hut sprang up.

Thnx for the addresses, may help me pinpoint that old house.

The house on Wayside was the Simms Mansion: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...mp;#entry143952

I never heard about it growing up, guess the land was already split and sold by then.

Edited by NenaE

• 2 months later...

After many months of preparation, research, fundraising, and meetings with the community, our efforts to secure a Texas Historical Commission marker for Magnolia Park have just about come to a successful conclusion. Below is how the inscription will read on the 27' X 42' marker that will be installed in De Zavala Park. Numbers in parenthesis represent the years that that particular institution or landmark was organized. While the marker is being fabricated in the foundry, we are looking at a date, perhaps in September, to dedicate it. The other marker approved for the Magnolia Park City Hall building addressed on Avenue F will probably not be ready until after September of this year.

MAGNOLIA PARK

ORIGINALLY DEVELOPED AS A SPRAWLING EXCURSION PARK AREA BY JOHN THOMAS BRADY IN 1890, MAGNOLIA PARK EARNED ITS NAME FROM THE ABUNDANCE OF MAGNOLIA TREES PLANTED IN THE AREA. STARTING IN 1909, THE MAGNOLIA PARK LAND COMPANY REDEVELOPED THE PARK INTO TWO RESIDENTIAL SUBDIVISIONS, MAGNOLIA PARK (1909) AND CENTRAL PARK (1912), WHICH WERE INCORPORATED TOGETHER IN 1913 AS THE CITY OF MAGNOLIA PARK. COVERING TWO SQUARE MILES, THE CITY WAS BORDERED ON THE NORTH AND EAST BY BUFFALO BAYOU AND THE HOUSTON SHIP CHANNEL, ON THE SOUTH BY BRAYS BAYOU AND ON THE WEST BY RAIL LINES. EVENTUALLY, THE CITY OF MAGNOLIA PARK WAS ANNEXED BY THE CITY OF HOUSTON IN 1926.

WHILE THE FOUNDERS OF MAGNOLIA PARK WERE OF EUROPEAN DESCENT, PERSONS OF MEXICAN DESCENT HAVE DOMINATED MOST OF ITS HISTORY, MAKING IT ONE OF HOUSTON

Great news Fez...Magnolia Park deserves to be recognized for it's long, significant history.

My great-grandmother would be very proud of you, as I am. Keep up the good work.

I noticed in the last few days that city crews have been scrapping off the top surface of my neighborhood streets (Eastwood/Lawndale). They did my street on Tuesday. I'm assuming they're going to lay down new asphalt.

I noticed in the last few days that city crews have been scrapping off the top surface of my neighborhood streets (Eastwood/Lawndale). They did my street on Tuesday. I'm assuming they're going to lay down new asphalt.

I think you are mistakened here. The streets of Eastwood and Lawndale are not in Magnolia Park.

• 1 month later...

Please bear with me here as I post on a subject not related to Magnolia Park but to East End as a whole and one of great importance to me.

Project Respect is a group that is scheduled to visit the historic Harrisburg Jackson Cemetery near Lawndale and Broadway on Saturday, July 11 for a clean-up event on the cemetery. I believe that the clean-up will begin very early that day.

Here is a link of Project Respect: http://projectrespect.com/

Follow the links on the site for more information. It would be nice to see East End rally together to preserve what is perhaps Houston's oldest surviving African American cemetery.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In 2009, the area in Houston's East End known as Magnolia Park or Magnolia, as we know it today, will complete 100 years of existence when it was declared a municipality in 1909. I have heard that there are celebrations in the works to honor the centennial. It has been suggested that Magnolia Park receive a Texas historical marker to honor the community.

I am a member of the Harris County Historical Commission which oversees the county's historical marker program. I have completed historical marker projects for a few subjects including the historic Harrisburg-Jackson cemetery located off of Bowie St. and Lawndale St. near Milby High School.

Born and raised in Magnolia, it would be my honor to mentor a private effort to get the community a historical marker. Are there any interested groups willing to sponsor this project?

The effort to get a marker should begin soon so that it can be unveiled for the centennial celebration.

As I think of the marker, I wonder where it should be installed in the community? Perhaps it can stand as Magnolia Park's original City Hall at Avenue F and 73rd St. Or maybe it can stand in one the area's City parks or at one of the community's entrances.

Racehorse36

I wonder if I`m the only person that wonder what those Street peddler are saling to school children off the push carts & taco stands all over the East End No health ; tax or Product Quilty If some one got sick can You find these street peddlers NO .In the late 40 all street peddlers were closed down for Health reasons. Have we gone back to the 1940 Some people say if you don`t like these peddlers don`t buy from them . This is not the ANSWER . They are not doing a Legal Bussiness The are Stealing from The USA ,Texas ,Houston and Tax payers They are not adding to the eighborhod ,They are takeing fron it & Laugh all the way to the money trail back to Mexico

to bring more to help them sell Junk to our children Are we that weak that we can`t stop this Maddniss. There are 1,000 `s of these peddlers

RACEHORSE

• Like 1

Racehorse36

I wonder if I`m the only person that wonder what those Street peddler are saling to school children off the push carts & taco stands all over the East End No health ; tax or Product Quilty If some one got sick can You find these street peddlers NO .In the late 40 all street peddlers were closed down for Health reasons. Have we gone back to the 1940 Some people say if you don`t like these peddlers don`t buy from them . This is not the ANSWER . They are not doing a Legal Bussiness The are Stealing from The USA ,Texas ,Houston and Tax payers They are not adding to the eighborhod ,They are takeing fron it & Laugh all the way to the money trail back to Mexico

to bring more to help them sell Junk to our children Are we that weak that we can`t stop this Maddniss. There are 1,000 `s of these peddlers

RACEHORSE

What proof do you have that they're operating without a license? Taco trucks, for example, have to have a license and have to report to the taco truck commissary every 24 hours to refill with clean water, clean their truck, etc. Post specifics, please, not conjecture.

What proof do you have that they're operating without a license? Taco trucks, for example, have to have a license and have to report to the taco truck commissary every 24 hours to refill with clean water, clean their truck, etc. Post specifics, please, not conjecture.

BryanS

Yep. I'm sure every taco truck in this city is doing that.

BRYANS

it still surprises me people eat tortillas that aren't toasted. permit or not, it's just a lack of common sense.

Edited by musicman