Memories Of Magnolia Park

Fez1964

In 2009, the area in Houston's East End known as Magnolia Park or Magnolia, as we know it today, will complete 100 years of existence when it was declared a municipality in 1909. I have heard that there are celebrations in the works to honor the centennial. It has been suggested that Magnolia Park receive a Texas historical marker to honor the community.

I am a member of the Harris County Historical Commission which oversees the county's historical marker program. I have completed historical marker projects for a few subjects including the historic Harrisburg-Jackson cemetery located off of Bowie St. and Lawndale St. near Milby High School.

Born and raised in Magnolia, it would be my honor to mentor a private effort to get the community a historical marker. Are there any interested groups willing to sponsor this project?

The effort to get a marker should begin soon so that it can be unveiled for the centennial celebration.

As I think of the marker, I wonder where it should be installed in the community? Perhaps it can stand as Magnolia Park's original City Hall at Avenue F and 73rd St. Or maybe it can stand in one the area's City parks or at one of the community's entrances.

I would imagine everyone living in Near East End would assist. Especially long time residants. There are numerous local East End societies that will rally on your side. PM

Even better would be if some could provide historical pics of the park. This is one park that has been an unsung hero for too long. Best thing to do is start a list even if means going door to door. Serious, it can be done. :)

Born and raised in Magnolia, it would be my honor to mentor a private effort to get the community a historical marker. Are there any interested groups willing to sponsor this project?

Sounds like a good idea to me, and its something that some politicians looking for a feel-good story would respond well to. Try contacting folks at the Greater East End Management District, the East End Chamber of Commerce, and Super Neighborhood #82. Those folks have more extensive political connections and should be able to take it from there if you can get them interested.

In 2009, the area in Houston's East End known as Magnolia Park or Magnolia, as we know it today, will complete 100 years of existence when it was declared a municipality in 1909. I have heard that there are celebrations in the works to honor the centennial. It has been suggested that Magnolia Park receive a Texas historical marker to honor the community.

I am a member of the Harris County Historical Commission which oversees the county's historical marker program. I have completed historical marker projects for a few subjects including the historic Harrisburg-Jackson cemetery located off of Bowie St. and Lawndale St. near Milby High School.

The effort to get a marker should begin soon so that it can be unveiled for the centennial celebration.

As I think of the marker, I wonder where it should be installed in the community? Perhaps it can stand as Magnolia Park's original City Hall at Avenue F and 73rd St. Or maybe it can stand in one the area's City parks or at one of the community's entrances.

I agree with Niche that the Chamber or the Management Dist. might be good places to contact. I would think the City Hall building would be good, but I don't know if that building is a Protected Landmark and so could be demolished at some point leaving the plaque to fend for itself.

Ironic that, as Magnolia hits 100, it finds itself right on the edge of the townhouse development front lines, and so could be in for a major rebirth in the near future.

By the way, good work on the Harrisburg Cemetery. I live nearby and am glad that little piece of the past is still there.

I would love to be involved in this somehow. My father's was born in Harrisburg in 1920. His parents lived in a house on 66th Street and Texas Ave. My grandparents were married at Blessed Sacrement church in 1919. This part of Houston has always been intriguing to me, even without the roots.

Thanks for your kind words and helpful suggestions. As I read your ideas, I realize that the Magnolia Park City Hall building at 7301 Avenue F should be declared a Registered Texas Historical Landmark. I will pursue this project as well.

Can someone provide me a history of the building? I understand that the City of Houston currently owns it. It looks like it is still in very good shape.

On a seperate note: Do they still call Dezavala Park the same name? Wow, makes me wonder where the name came from, etc? Had to have been someone worth remembering.

Wouldn't this park be just as historical marker worthy? This is really going back in time. :)

On a seperate note: Do they still call Dezavala Park the same name? Wow, makes me wonder where the name came from, etc? Had to have been someone worth remembering.

Do you need to go back to 7th grade and repeat Texas history?? :P

Manuel Lorenzo Justiniano de Zavala y S

Lorenzo de Zavala

Edit: Oops, gnu beat me to it.

Thanks all!

Just a note while in Jackson Jr High we were never taught anything about Mexican/Hispanic history or rather hardly any at all. Other than the battle at San Jacinto monument?

Remember, teachers were either uninterested in teaching us or were told to avoid the subject. (whole new topic I know) :)

Edited by Vertigo58

One of the more interesting figures in Texas' fight for independence, Lorenzo De Zavala was a high ranking Mexican statesman who broke from the dictator Santa Anna and was one of the primary drafters of the Texas Declaration of Independence.

It would be great if someone snapped some pics of these parks. I barely remember De Zavala circa 1965-67. Was really nice then. This is another part of Houston that seems to be fading away. Oops goes in historical Houston section. I'm/we are drifting.

PS even the churches/restuarants surrounding the park are real history of the city. :D

Would anyone be interested in artifacts from Magnolia Park? Items that could be displayed for the public to see...

Any schools or museums in the area of East End (Magnolia Park) would like to have as long as they displayed them?

Thanks.

Cemeterywolf,

What kind of artifacts from Magnolia Park's past do you have to share? Depending on what you have, these items can be displayed in one of the area's libraries or perhaps an exhibit can be created at the Magnolia Park City Hall building on Avenue F. The City of Houston owns the building and I have contacted someone in the City of Houston to assist in having the building declared as a Registered Texas Historic Landmark. Hopefully, this declaration can be completed in time for the centennial of Magnolia Park where your artifacts can be displayed.

As a member of the Harris County Historical Commission, I can refer your artifacts to others around Houston and see what kind of ideas can be shared. Send me a personal email when you are ready.

Thanks for your efforts.

• 2 weeks later...
HISTORY OF MAGNOLIA PARK,TX. WEB SITE.

http://www.freewebs.com/hidalgopark/

Small but has some nice info, check it out.

Thanks,

GEW

Some of us maybe confused? I assumed Magnolia Park was an actual City Park (like in playground).

Not sure if public would be interested in seeing household items? Sound more like an anitques roadshow kind of thing? Just wondering if you could be more specific. :)

Some of us maybe confused? I assumed Magnolia Park was an actual City Park (like in playground).

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/...es/MM/hvm6.html

Magnolia Park, near the Houston Ship Channelqv in eastern Harris County, is one of Houston's oldest Hispanic neighborhoods. It was laid out in 1890 on a 1,374-acre site belonging to Thomas M. Brady, on Harrisburg Road across Bray's Bayou from Harrisburg and seven miles downstream from Houston. It was named for the 3,750 magnolias that developers planted there. The community became an independent municipality in 1909. Though whites first inhabited the town, Mexican Americansqv from South Texas began arriving by 1911, first settling in the area filled by sand dredged from the turning basin and known as El Arenal or the Sands.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/...es/MM/hvm6.html

Magnolia Park, near the Houston Ship Channelqv in eastern Harris County, is one of Houston's oldest Hispanic neighborhoods. It was laid out in 1890 on a 1,374-acre site belonging to Thomas M. Brady, on Harrisburg Road across Bray's Bayou from Harrisburg and seven miles downstream from Houston. It was named for the 3,750 magnolias that developers planted there. The community became an independent municipality in 1909. Though whites first inhabited the town, Mexican Americansqv from South Texas began arriving by 1911, first settling in the area filled by sand dredged from the turning basin and known as El Arenal or the Sands.

The attachment describes it to a T. Thanks GNU! Where's your pup avatar?

Most long time Houstonian's only refer to it as simply Magnolia, thats what threw me off.

What was really interesting is the historical community organizations mentioned in that link. Real Houston history indeed.

HISTORY OF MAGNOLIA PARK,TX. WEB SITE.

http://www.freewebs.com/hidalgopark/

Small but has some nice info, check it out.

Thanks,

GEW

Cemeterywolf,

Can you cite for me the source of this history as we will use it in our efforts to secure a historical marker for the community?

I am still looking for information on the Magnolia Park City Hall building located on at Avenue F and 73rd. I would like to get it recognized as a Registered Texas Historical Landmark.

Cemeterywolf,

Can you cite for me the source of this history as we will use it in our efforts to secure a historical marker for the community?

I am still looking for information on the Magnolia Park City Hall building located on at Avenue F and 73rd. I would like to get it recognized as a Registered Texas Historical Landmark.

The map cemeterywolf has on his webpage is also in Houghton's book Houston's Forgotten Heritage. Her citation lists it as from the Palmer Hutcheson Jr. Papers. (Junior League Component, Houston Metropolitan Research Center, & HPL)

Her book also has a small copy of a 1909 promotion ad for Magnolia park.

In the text of the book, she doesn't mention the municipality or its city hall.

She only discusses Brady and the eventual development of the addition

Edited by gnu

Cemeterywolf,

Some photos would be so helpful?

All I could get was this aerial.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formt...S&geodiff=1

and you are right Fez, better get it certified as historical before it gets demolished like most of the cities old neighborhood landmarks. :o

Not sure if public would be interested in seeing household items? Sound more like an anitques roadshow kind of thing? Just wondering if you could be more specific. :)

They are dug items from Magnolia Park, but if no one is interested, thats ok,never mind....

They are dug items from Magnolia Park, but if no one is interested, thats ok,never mind....

Yes, there is definitely an interest in these items. Perhaps they can be showcased at any upcoming centenial celebrations of Magnolia. From time to time, local libraries have exhibitions and these items could be displayed in libraries of Magnolia such as the Stanaker branch and Park Place branch.

I was almost sure Bart Truxillo was on this forum, if not, he'd be a guy to get into contact with, he was a big in Magnolia Restoration and knows as much as anyone on the subject.

Mr. Truxillo would be familiar with the old Magnolia Brewery downtown (since he owns it)

I don't think he has been involved with any structures in Magnolia Park (the east side addition)

Listed below are some of Magnolia's surviving community landmarks that were established before 1930. These landmarks will be referenced in the written narrative that will support the proposed Texas historical marker. I have included brief histories and sources. I would appreciate any additional information and comments on these landmarks.

Immaculate Conception - Located at 7250 Harrisburg, this Catholic church was established in 1911. (Sources: the Archdiocese Galveston-Houston website and Sanborn Fire Insurance maps of Magnolia Park)

Hidalgo Park - Addressed at 7000 Avenue Q, this city park was established in 1927 shortly after Houston annexed Magnolia Park in 1926. I understand that this park was an important focal point for the community during the first half of the 20th century. (Source: City of Houston Parks Dept. website)

Franklin Elementary School - Located at 7101 Canal, this school was established as early as 1913 and was named the Magnolia Park Public School. (Source: HISD website and the 1925 Sanborn Fire Insurance map of Magnolia Park)

Immaculate Heart of Mary - Catholic church addressed at 7250 Avenue K and established in 1926. Before 1925, the site had what was called a "Presbyterian Mexican Church." By 1929, Immaculate Heart of Mary also had a school on the grounds. It is my understanding that this church was established as a mission to Magnolia's Mexican-American community from Immaculate Conception. (Sources: the Archdiocese Galveston-Houston website and the 1929 Sanborn Fire Insurance map of the area)

Lorenzo De Zavala school and city park - School was started as early as 1920 to serve Magnolia's Mexican-American community and was originally addressed at the corner of 75th St. and Avenue H. The park was established in 1945. (Sources: HISD website, City of Houston Park Dept. website and Sanborn Fire Insurance maps of Magnolia Park)

American Legion Hall - Addressed at 7547 Avenue C, this social hall was established between 1925 and 1929. (Sources: Sanborn Fire Insurance maps of the area)

Sociedad Mutualista Benito Juarez building - Originally a theater for live peformances and movies before 1925, this building located at 7320 Navigation became a social hall for this mutual aid society in 1928. (Sources: the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance website and Sanborn Fire Insurance maps of the area)

This is great!

Please continue to add more info of this area.

I never realized that Magnolia covered so much territory. I can't recall if you added the actual square miles or end/stop line. Wasn't it like 75th street all the way to where Milby High School is?

In past East End topics, Broadway was described as a sort of downtown at one time. Brady's Landing is still a very popular site of high profile events. Very classy inside.

Here is some info on the website:

It is generally agreed that Brady’s Island was named for John Thomas Brady (1830-1890). Brady, a man ahead of his time, became interested in the potential of Houston as a deep-water port while chairing the State Internal Improvements Committee during the 10th and 11th State Legislatures. He died in 1890 while inspecting works being done toward development of what in time would become the Port Houston.

http://www.bradyslandingrestaurant.com/

Edited by Vertigo58