Begging "them" To Like Us {my Houston Campaign}

MidtownCoog

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because it's not located on one of the two major coasts, not an old traditional city that reminds people of Europe or wherever, and as a result gets snubbed by the "really cool" people, who know what's in and what's not. The really cool kids almost always know how to make the others feel left out and insecure, so the others (and Houston has its kin in this regard) spend time and money trying to get the really cool kids to, just for once, say its cool, too.

It's the dog chasing its tail.

Who?

I guess Beyonce is A-list.

We throw gobs of money at these ad firms to come up with taglines, and let's face it, slogans suck unless you get lucky with a one-in-a-million 'What Happens in Vegas', or 'I heart NY.'

The celebrity angle (if you can call it that. Brian Ching? Barbara Bush? What is this, a Kids Stay in School PSA??) smacks of desperation and is the municipal equivalent of the business owner insisting on being his own ad spokesperson. In almost every instance, it's an embarassingly bad idea. All this trying too hard makes us look like wusses, and that's just not Houston, is it?

One of my favorite things about Houston is that most people who live here don't fall all over themselves to tell people how much better it is than other cities, unlike residents of other cities I know (cough cough Austin cough cough), rather, they follow Coog's mantra of "Be Yourself."

I wish our "leaders" would realize that as well.

The worst thing for Houston and it's image perception is being labeled "4th Largest US City"

This seems to conjure up grandiose ideas about this place amongst the locals... that simply do not exist in this town. "Well hell, we're the 4th largest city, that must count for something?!" Now technically, when looking at population within "city limits" I guess it is is the 4th largest city, but the buck stops there! Sort of like, I thought at one time I had heard that Oklahoma City was the largest city in square miles...IF that is the case, it is the same scenario. The buck stops there. Whoopie, it's the largest in square miles. Does not mean that is great and fabulous.

The worst thing for Houston and it's image perception is being labeled "4th Largest US City"

That's quite a stretch don't you think?

This seems to conjure up grandiose ideas about this place amongst the locals... that simply do not exist in this town.

Not sure what you mean here.

As Coog is famous for saying... "Houston, be yourself". This campaign is stupid at best, and goes the opposite direction of what I've always loved about this town.

Hate it.

Everyone else who isn't already here can just stay the Hell away, as far as I'm concerned. We have enough traffic, enough bad apples, and enough taxes on our properties already. We don't need the California Raisins to come over here, nor do we need the Oranges from Florida, flocking over here . There are barely enough good paying jobs for everyone already here. The "MADNESS" is wanting more publicity for ourselves toward other cities to try and invite those people to move here. I want to keep the topics on point about the endless "SPRAWL" we have and the lack of "Culture" our city has. I know how good we have it here. I have been here for 37.5 years, and I don't plan on moving until I retire and go off to die on Maui. Would you people PLEASE stop trying to Woo the critics, just because they say bad things about our fair city, does it make them true ? Surely NOT, if you know that the critic is an absolute idiot in his deductions of this fine city of ours. Let them have their say and let it be a warning for outsiders to STAY AWAY !

Yeah, the thing about city size always gets rolled eyes from me, too, but as of about March or April of 2008, Houston will be the 5th largest MSA, surpassing Philly. And that actually does have economic implications.

Everyone else who isn't already here can just stay the Hell away, as far as I'm concerned. We have enough traffic, enough bad apples, and enough taxes on our properties already. We don't need the California Raisins to come over here, nor do we need the Oranges from Florida, flocking over here . There are barely enough good paying jobs for everyone already here. The "MADNESS" is wanting more publicity for ourselves toward other cities to try and invite those people to move here. I want to keep the topics on point about the endless "SPRAWL" we have and the lack of "Culture" our city has. I know how good we have it here. I have been here for 37.5 years, and I don't plan on moving until I retire and go off to die on Maui. Would you people PLEASE stop trying to Woo the critics, just because they say bad things about our fair city, does it make them true ? Surely NOT, if you know that the critic is an absolute idiot in his deductions of this fine city of ours. Let them have their say and let it be a warning for outsiders to STAY AWAY !

I think they are trying to attract ppl to visit, not move here. Ppl are already moving here in droves with jobs and low cost of living, while cashing out their real estate investments.

Its image and tourism that we have a problem with. They probably want them to stay away but those meeting convention, tourism dollars and businesses relocating, setting up shop, bringing in investments looks kinda of nice.

I think the money would be best used to upgrade the quality of the attractions, or in my dreams, linking up all those attractions with some kind of high speed transportation.

I think they are trying to attract ppl to visit, not move here. Ppl are already moving here in droves with jobs and low cost of living, while cashing out their real estate investments.

Its image and tourism that we have a problem with. They probably want them to stay away but those meeting convention, tourism and other business investmens dollars looks kinda of nice.

You bring up a good point. What is the intended outcome of this campaign? What is the message? Is it "give us your money" or "be my neighbor"? I really can't tell, and that bespeaks of a strategic failure from the start.

Houston is very strong on drawing new residents, and I think that it ought to play off those competitive advantages, putting its strongest argument forward, enlightening those that haven't already got what really makes us different.

My suggestion: Houston. It's not sexy. It's not about sexy. It's about living.

You can't say what Houston is "not" in a slogan. That makes people think you are making some type of sacrifice to live here.

Being yourself is what makes Houston, Houston. You don't have to be a poser here to make it. There is no need to conform. You can be yourself, enjoy, and be successful. That's what makes it great.

Being yourself is what makes Houston, Houston. You don't have to be a poser here to make it. There is no need to conform. You can be yourself, enjoy, and be successful. That's what makes it great.

Yeah, that sentiment will work in a slogan for the City. I can see it now.

"Houston. . .We're Great, But if You Don't Think So, Kiss Our Ass!"

You can't say what Houston is "not" in a slogan. That makes people think you are making some type of sacrifice to live here.

I just did.

One must sacrifice something to live anywhere, whether it be a different region or a different neighborhood. My suggested slogan doesn't presume the audience to be fools. It comes across as genuine.

I like your slogan, always have, but I'd expect posers to say it...for example the posers of Austin that think they're weird. We may actually be able to claim such things in a genuine spirit, but how is someone ignorant of our culture going to tell the difference between us and Austin or any other city?

I just think the Houston is "not" slant has been over done in the "Houston, It's Worth It" embarrasment.

I think I'd actually prefer to have Beyonce mumble through a promo than be subjected to the drivel that is "Houston, It's Worth It".

As far as Austin is concered, I have seen people who live there try so hard to be wierd it has become far fetched. Pretty girls in ugly glasses and that entire scene can take a lot of work to pull off.

In Houston the wierdness just appears naturally.

As far as Austin is concered, I have seen people who live there try so hard to be wierd it has become far fetched. Pretty girls in ugly glasses and that entire scene can take a lot of work to pull off.

In Houston the wierdness just appears naturally.

Yeah, and from an insider looking out, "Houston: be yourself" is easy to understand. But we aren't paying millions of dollars for ad campaigns targeting ourselves. We need to project a claim that comes across as unique, genuine, and meaningful to people with no prior experience with our city.

Count me in with the "We're the fourth largest city" basura. I haven't heard Harris County talk too much about being #3 in the U.S. anymore. Maybe because Maricopa already passed us by?

Not so sure about the MSA ranking either, but I will say they're more important than the city population rankings--along with stuff like media market and gross product size.

I think the cheesy part is getting celebs involved. The world is too celebrity focused and it makes us look like the municipal version of a checkout aisle tabloid. I don't see anything wrong, however, with the city investing money to attract people, but we're not obviously going after the national brain trust members with this lame focus. I would think placing ads in the Wall Street Journal would inspire a better effort. What we're likely to get are people who are impressed with shallow celebrity flashing. That's all we need; a bunch of escapees from other cities driving cars with obnoxious stereos. <_<

Someone who commented on the Chron website had a good point when they mentioned that Houston does have a memorable quote that could be used as a slogan: "Houston: We Have a Problem".

I hear that way more than I hear "I Heart NY", or "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas", or "Texas: Its like a Whole Nother Country".

Plus, its true; we do have a problem. :)

Archived