Midtown Gyms Suggestions

HTexas

Does anyone have suggestions/comments on the Midtown (and close surrounding area) gyms? Would like to join one other than the YMCA (S. Downtown). Seems as if Fitness Exchange has left and is now "Crew Health & Fitness" on Washington Ave. near Shepherd, slightly further than I'd like to drive.

If you know of any gyms in the area, please post your thoughts and membership price if you know.

Thank you

Does anyone have suggestions/comments on the Midtown (and close surrounding area) gyms? Would like to join one other than the YMCA (S. Downtown). Seems as if Fitness Exchange has left and is now "Crew Health & Fitness" on Washington Ave. near Shepherd, slightly further than I'd like to drive.

If you know of any gyms in the area, please post your thoughts and membership price if you know.

Thank you

I like the Met (part of the downtown club system). Its a bit pricey but much nicer than other places. It has a very large gym and cardio floor, a restaurant, 10 indoor tennis courts, a spa, racquetball courts, squash courts, a childcare, and classes. Its really a nice place and the members are like a big family.

The address is 340 w Dallas, 77002

We use The Met as well, and can't imagine going anywhere else. You might inquire whether your company has a corporate deal with them--corporate clients are their key market. We pay just under $200 a month for a high-content non-corporate membership, and all memberships include a spouse/sig. other. If you have a corporate deal, expect to pay less (sometimes a lot less) with low-to-no signup fee.

There is a 24-hour going up in Midtown, but who knows how long before it is ready. There is also Fit on W Gray, which isn't a bad drive.

I tried contacting "Fit" on W. Gray a few weeks ago. They would hardly tell me anything over the phone. It is a great location, but I'd like to have an idea of their rates before going over there for the "hard sell" that they will definitely give to me.

Anyone have any info/comments on "Fit"?

Thank you

Thanks everyone for your responses. I went by Fit Athletic on W. Gray yesterday and really think that gym meets my needs. New, clean, friendly staff, lots of equipment, classes, great location to home and work, and good promo prices (corporate rate). Think I will be joining in the next few days!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I went by Fit Athletic on W. Gray yesterday and really think that gym meets my needs. New, clean, friendly staff, lots of equipment, classes, great location to home and work, and good promo prices (corporate rate). Think I will be joining in the next few days!

Glad you found something .... out of curiousity, why no interest in the DT YMCA? I've been a member there for 5 years and love it. Reasonable prices, good sized weight room, decent cardio machines for CSOM Gal, dedicated spin rooms, class rooms, huge locker rooms, a women's zone, and things you don't find at most other gyms in its price range: multiple basketball, raquetball, volleyball, handball courts and a swimming pool.

I have belonged to the downtown Y for about 2 years now and I like it as well. Even though my building downtown has a gym. Also I do know that the Y downtown is going to be completely renovated (I think by floor).

Larry North is nice if you work in The Houston Center, otherwise you will have to pay for parking there, and it isn't open on Sundays I don't think.

Glad you found something .... out of curiousity, why no interest in the DT YMCA? I've been a member there for 5 years and love it. Reasonable prices, good sized weight room, decent cardio machines for CSOM Gal, dedicated spin rooms, class rooms, huge locker rooms, a women's zone, and things you don't find at most other gyms in its price range: multiple basketball, raquetball, volleyball, handball courts and a swimming pool.

What's it cost at the Y?

Fit is a good choice!!!!!! the only day to avoid is Mondays after work.......like any other gym. Great Choice

What's it cost at the Y?

CSOM Gal and I pay $66 per month... there are various discounts (young member, corporate, etc.) as well that you can sometimes take advantage of.

Can anyone tell me the story of Club Houston in Midtown? When I go to their website, it looks like a homosexual workout facility.

I think you're right... I had checked it out when I first moved to midtown in 03 and I got the same impression.

Can anyone tell me the story of Club Houston in Midtown? When I go to their website, it looks like a homosexual workout facility.

Houston Press has advertised it as such for about 15-20 yrs now? Thought everyone knew that? Village People music format, etc.

Was it a "hard" sell? Just curious. When I see peole taking tours, I don;t get the impression the fit folks are hard selling them. But I do not get to overhear the conversations in the cafe area.

Not sure about that one, but I think they are building a 24 Hour Fitness over by Louisiana and Elgin... so that might be another option when it opens up...

I heard about that one too, and it will be a super sport from what they told me.

I think the workout facility is just there as a cover up in my opinion. If you are not gay, I would suggest you choose something else, or your will likely feel dirty and violated when you leave the gym.

I know a couple of a gay friends that go to Club Houston during the wee hours. Let's just say they don't go there to use the fitness equipment. They've tryed to tell me more, but I just cover up my ears and sing out la,la,la,la,la,la,la until they stop.

• 1 month later...
I know a couple of a gay friends that go to Club Houston during the wee hours. Let's just say they don't go there to use the fitness equipment. They've tryed to tell me more, but I just cover up my ears and sing out la,la,la,la,la,la,la until they stop.

Yes, it is a combination gay club, bath and workout facility. I know folks who go to just workout and I've considered it because it's close to work. I also know folks who go for the "social activities". If you're not a gay male, you'll not be comfortable there.

LOL That's one way of putting it. They actually do have a really nice gym section... it's the other sections you may not like as much.

I think the workout facility is just there as a cover up in my opinion. If you are not gay, I would suggest you choose something else, or your will likely feel dirty and violated when you leave the gym.

No, it's not a cover... it's an actual gym. I have a buddy who used to work out there WITHOUT using any of the other facilities and he loved it... said it was really nice and clean and well worth the price. If they wanted to have the club w/o the gym they probably could. I used to work out at Fitness Exchange... bummed that they closed... looking into Crew Fitness now.

Was it a "hard" sell? Just curious. When I see peole taking tours, I don;t get the impression the fit folks are hard selling them. But I do not get to overhear the conversations in the cafe area.

Nope, they were not trying a "hard sell" at all....but I liked the fact that I got an excellent rate and locked in for 1 1/2 years at that rate. I did have to pay up front, but it was worth the big savings. I am still enjoying Fit Athletic immensely. Going tonight!!

LOL That's one way of putting it. They actually do have a really nice gym section... it's the other sections you may not like as much.

No, it's not a cover... it's an actual gym. I have a buddy who used to work out there WITHOUT using any of the other facilities and he loved it... said it was really nice and clean and well worth the price. If they wanted to have the club w/o the gym they probably could. I used to work out at Fitness Exchange... bummed that they closed... looking into Crew Fitness now.

For those that used to workout at Fitness Exchange... don't you find it rather peculiar at how long it took the new place, Crew Fitness, to open? Was it to drive away the Fitness Exchange crowd - to go else where - and not necessarily to the new location? Was it really that hard to re-locate the gym? Hmmmm... You'd think if you were re-locating your business, you'd want to do it as soon as possible. It appears, to me, they're going for a new name (you know what the old nick-name was), and a new clientele. Hopefully, I am wrong...

For those that used to workout at Fitness Exchange... don't you find it rather peculiar at how long it took the new place, Crew Fitness, to open? Was it to drive away the Fitness Exchange crowd - to go else where - and not necessarily to the new location? Was it really that hard to re-locate the gym? Hmmmm... You'd think if you were re-locating your business, you'd want to do it as soon as possible. It appears, to me, they're going for a new name (you know what the old nick-name was), and a new clientele. Hopefully, I am wrong...

I don't think so... I know they ran into long construction delays... and other delays on top of that. I was also very surprised it took that long, but I don't think they were looking for a new clientele. Fitness Exchange was own and run by "family", and I think this new gym is own and run by pretty much the same people. There would be no reason for them to drive people away when they had a dedicated crowd.

Well, they drove me away. My Fitness Exchange membership expired between the time they closed the old place and opened Crew. I renewed a dormant Bally's membership for a year at the princely sum of $100, which gets me into any Bally's in the country. After the year is up, who knows? I've been getting calls from Crew asking me to come tour the place, but it costs a lot more than $100 and I'm not terribly close to it. I am, however, terribly close to the (much derided on this board) new L.A. Fitness set to open at Greenway Commons later this year, so we'll see...

• 2 weeks later...

All the gyms in the area are going to have great rates now with the 24hr Super Sport opening in June. With a swimming pool, basketball courts and all the other 24 hr options (plus access to other clubs) it'll be pretty hard to beat. The Super Sports also have towel service. May not sound like much to everyone, but I hate hauling around the extra towel, especially after it's gotten wet. Plus, it will be brand new - gotta love it :) Guess I can stop driving to Post Oak now.... although there are some seriously hot women at the Post Oak location (depending on the time you go - otherwise grandma may rape you - however she will be rich - lol)

Archived