La Quinta Inn At 1515 Rusk St.

Houston19514

The addition of this hotel is within the Hotel Convention Bureau plans to bring more medium and Larger conventions to the city. One of the ways to do that is to bring more rooms within the downtown region.

This will in turn, provide more business to that (dismal) part of downtown.

Is it as sexy as a "W"?

No. It's called "infrastructure", something that is needed. Will Houstonians stay there on weekends? Doubtful, but will people that come nearby towns and cities that are on a budget to attend a concert or conference stay there? Yes.

Will inlaws stay there instead of walking in on uncle albert in his tightie whites in the kitchen? Oh hell yeh.

Well, if I had a Christmas party downtown, I'd consider the La Quinta for a few hours of drunken rest. Some of my Canadian co-workers attempted to get a room at the Magnolia last week and the rate was $300/night. They may not have made reservations in advance, etc. They (2-girls) ended up staying in the Galleria which they loved.

Bottom line is that it will put more beds downtown and that's what we need.

I don't think anyone was ever saying that LaQuinta will make East End Houston 'cool' like the w makes Victory Park 'cool'. I think LaQuinta was only thrown into that sausagefest HP vs Victory thread because it turned into a crane counting pissing contest. And cool or not, LaQuinta (if built) will add another crane to the skyline for awhile. But for the record, I don't think it makes our downtown look bad if we have a nice variety of hotels in the mix. That includes everything from cool to creepy or from 5 star to 5 stain. LaQuinta is respectable and if they can help to eliminate a surface lot and add a 20+ story tower, (and another crane) to downtown, I welcome them with open arms.

I bet a few people in Dallas wouldn't mind seeing a LaQuinta Tower rise somewhere near Victory either.

Awww come on kids we don't need any crane pissing contests or "my city is booming better than your city" here. Show some Texas love. Every major city in Texas has a wealth of cranes up, showing that the state has left it's decade-long dry spell. If a Houstonian wants to see a lot of cranes (and I mean a lot of cranes), he/she just needs to run down to the Medical Center. I counted eleven there yesterday.

Some people on this thread might be shocked or surprised that LQ has had a NYC-Manhattan for four or more years - and priced accordingly at $250+. LQ is hardly a down-market chain like some suggest, many locations are nicer than the adjacent Marriott Courtyard and generally cheaper.

• 1 year later...

Also received an email back from them today. Said they were hoping they'd be under construction by now but they have not recieved financing. They "hope to get some movement with the Banks in the next couple of months so that we can continue this project."

Also received an email back from them today. Said they were hoping they'd be under construction by now but they have not recieved financing. They "hope to get some movement with the Banks in the next couple of months so that we can continue this project."

Ugh. Not good... I'm afraid all the hope in the world will move forward a project.

• 1 year later...

I'm guessing this is up to date and it says it's on the market. I guess they decided not to ever go forward with this project?

http://www.buildingsearch.com/TX/Houston/Land-Listings/1515-Rusk/665118

Also, how come HCAD never shows the owner that the Houston Biz Journal reported from post #1?

http://hcad.org/records/details.asp?crypt=%94%9A%B0%94%BFg%84%8D%80zoi%8El%87tXu%5BW%9E%99%A2%D3%89%95%C2e%7CU%8A%7C%86%C0%AB%A8%AD%86%5E&bld=1&tab=2

I'm guessing this is up to date and it says it's on the market. I guess they decided not to ever go forward with this project?

http://www.buildingsearch.com/TX/Houston/Land-Listings/1515-Rusk/665118

Also, how come HCAD never shows the owner that the Houston Biz Journal reported from post #1?

http://hcad.org/records/details.asp?crypt=%94%9A%B0%94%BFg%84%8D%80zoi%8El%87tXu%5BW%9E%99%A2%D3%89%95%C2e%7CU%8A%7C%86%C0%AB%A8%AD%86%5E&bld=1&tab=2

They definitely are not going forward with this project.

HCAD sometimes does take a while to update their ownership records, but this is unusual. It could be an HCAD error, a newspaper error, the newspaper's source's error, or a non-traditional deal such as where the developer might've been brought in as a partner.

They definitely are not going forward with this project.

HCAD sometimes does take a while to update their ownership records, but this is unusual. It could be an HCAD error, a newspaper error, the newspaper's source's error, or a non-traditional deal such as where the developer might've been brought in as a partner.

That's a shame. Well, this can be interesting reading for those of us not ever on the inside of these things...

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/D/D/5/DD5EF9D8-D3C3-41F5-8327-013CA82FBD90.pdf

That's a shame. Well, this can be interesting reading for those of us not ever on the inside of these things...

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/D/D/5/DD5EF9D8-D3C3-41F5-8327-013CA82FBD90.pdf

I would think you would be happy that a 6 story hotel is not being built, considering how disappointed you are with the 19 story hotel down the street. In fact, I'd expect you to be celebrating.

• Like 1

I would think you would be happy that a 6 story hotel is not being built, considering how disappointed you are with the 19 story hotel down the street. In fact, I'd expect you to be celebrating.

The difference is every La Quinta ever built is an architectural gem.

• Like 1

It was only gonna be 6 stories?

Well, maybe I was thinking that way with ES because it's a more high-profile location and looks so puny next to One Park Place? I guess I was hoping for a more towering surrounding of DG.

Can I retract my ES complaints?

It was only gonna be 6 stories?

Well, maybe I was thinking that way with ES because it's a more high-profile location and looks so puny next to One Park Place? I guess I was hoping for a more towering surrounding of DG.

Can I retract my ES complaints?

You should probably retract your 'interesting reading' comment first, since you obviously did not even read your own link.

• Like 2

You should probably retract your 'interesting reading' comment first, since you obviously did not even read your own link.

No, I have not read it, and I did not imply so, but knowing the topic of the .pdf, I know it will be interesting to me and most likely others.

Actually, I am bummed to see it is not going forward. Downtown actually needs a La Quinta style hotel. Currently, the only offering in that sector is the Holiday Inn Express and that's in a terrible location. There's a Best Western in the 4th Ward but other than that, downtown is lacking in lower cost/selected service hotels.

I'd have to think that downtown could support a La Quinta/Hampton Inn/Staybridge/Ramada Limited etc... type of hotel or two.

• Like 2

Actually, I am bummed to see it is not going forward. Downtown actually needs a La Quinta style hotel. Currently, the only offering in that sector is the Holiday Inn Express and that's in a terrible location. There's a Best Western in the 4th Ward but other than that, downtown is lacking in lower cost/selected service hotels.

I'd have to think that downtown could support a La Quinta/Hampton Inn/Staybridge/Ramada Limited etc... type of hotel or two.

No doubt. If I were going to another city and I had a La Quinta type budget, I'd stay at one downtown before any other place in the city. I bet the place would be packed.

I haven't had a chance to look through the PDF yet but anyone know why the project isn't going forward?

That SUCKS!

Edited by C2H

I haven't had a chance to look through the PDF yet but anyone know why the project isn't going forward?

That SUCKS!

I haven't read through all the details yet but I did notice that they were trying to account for the market impacts of 600+ new rooms that were supposed to come online via the Sheraton Lincoln/Omni renovation that never happened, the Hampton Inn that never happened, and the Staybridge Suites that never happened.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...