Ugh.....the Flu!

ricco67

On CNN's Cold & Flu report we're the only state that's always blue. I thought colder places would be hit worse because people are staying indoors or more populated places.

I watched a show a while back on NBC or something... it was all about the biggest myths. The one thing that they said was a myth was that cold weather makes people get the flu more... they said this was a myth b/c it's actually people staying indoors with the windows closed in the winter around other people that makes more people get the flu.

If this is true, then why don't places like the South see higher amounts of the flu in the summer as opposed to the winter. In the summer in the South, everyone is indoors w/ everyone else w/ the windows closed and the air on b/c it's so hot outside!?

I never got a flu shot in my life until about three years ago. Now I don't think I would go through the season without one.

My company used to bring in nurses for free flu shots for the employees every year. This year they made us pay. Stupid, cheap, short-sighted bastards.

I never got a flu shot in my life until about three years ago. Now I don't think I would go through the season without one.

My company used to bring in nurses for free flu shots for the employees every year. This year they made us pay. Stupid, cheap, short-sighted bastards.

Same w/ my company.

I watched a show a while back on NBC or something... it was all about the biggest myths. The one thing that they said was a myth was that cold weather makes people get the flu more... they said this was a myth b/c it's actually people staying indoors with the windows closed in the winter around other people that makes more people get the flu.

If this is true, then why don't places like the South see higher amounts of the flu in the summer as opposed to the winter. In the summer in the South, everyone is indoors w/ everyone else w/ the windows closed and the air on b/c it's so hot outside!?

Could it have to do with school not being in session during the summer? Nothing quite like a public school to accelerate an epidemic. ...and most school districts don't provide flu shots to staff, either. Dumbass "educators".

Could it have to do with school not being in session during the summer? Nothing quite like a public school to accelerate an epidemic. ...and most school districts don't provide flu shots to staff, either. Dumbass "educators".

Maybe that's a part of it... or maybe air conditioners filter out the air more? I just know, from growing up in the north, that the outdoor / indoor lifestyle is completely opposite down here... here we open our windows and head outside late fall through early spring while up north they do it late spring through early fall.

Maybe that's a part of it... or maybe air conditioners filter out the air more? I just know, from growing up in the north, that the outdoor / indoor lifestyle is completely opposite down here... here we open our windows and head outside late fall through early spring while up north they do it late spring through early fall.

The common cold isn't caused by the cold, it's caused by a virus. In winter people huddle together indoors and spread their germs around. With the advent of air conditioning we now have the phenomenon of "summer colds."

Not to derail the thread, but...

The cold/virus thing was proven decades ago. Unfortunately, some of the scientific experiments used to prove it involved some rather brutal treatment of Jews in Nazi concentration camps. One of the things scientists in the rest of the world had to come to grips with after the war was whether it was morally acceptable to use the results of German experiments on prisoners. If there's one thing you can say about the Germans it's that they're very scientific and thorough -- they document EVERYTHING (which is why it's so unfathomable that there are people who pretend that the Holocaust didn't happen). So after the war there were all these piles of scientific results from experiments done on humans -- experiments that could never have been done before because civilized scientists didn't do those sorts of things to actual people.

Anyway, that's your history lesson for today.

Just stay away from people. Filthy, virus-laden people. And wear Kleenex boxes on your feet.

Or just wash your hands after any public outing, and during them. I've never had a flu shot and I don't think I've had the flu in ten years, and only get a cold every 3 or 4 it seems. You can never be sure if it's the influenza virus or one of the other few hundred cold viruses anyway, unless you get lab work done.