Baldwin Park At 1701 Elgin St.

midtown_resident

I passed by the park this weekend. The park is almost finished. All the trees are still there. It looks a lot better. The newer residents will keep this place in good condition too.

• 3 weeks later...
No matter what they do to this property, nothing could be as beautiful as the majestic oak trees on the property. I took these just today.

Baldwin2.jpg

Baldwin1.jpg

I am new to this forum, so please excuse any mistakes I make in replying properly. I happened onto this site and thread while looking for some Houston memorabilia. I lived in an old house with my grandmother in the early 40's that was on Elgin, between Main and Fannin, and I used to go to Baldwin Park all the time. I remember the beautiful old oak trees there and wondered if they were all gone now. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Have also wondered if the concrete nonworking fountain that I used to play on was still there.

Guest danax
  Have also wondered if the concrete nonworking fountain that I used to play on was still there.

It's still there and it looks like they're going to be restoring it. I saw a postcard from circa 1910 and it was there then too. So it wasn't working in the early 40s? I don't want to veer off topic but maybe you could post a new topic about what that area was like back then, I would love to know.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't want to veer off topic but maybe you could post a new topic about what that area was like back then, I would love to know.

Golly! I could make that very long..and boring...to most on here. I still remember my address...1009 Elgin, and my favorite place, right across the street, on the southeast corner of Main and Elgin, a Rettig's ice cream parlor. Actually, directly across the street from me was the Lydia Houston Beauty Academy...between Rettig's and V.H. Cain's Texaco service station on the southwest corner of Fannin and Elgin. I would walk 4-5 blocks to Fannin Elementary School (2nd - 5th grades). Fannin El. was between Louisiana and Smith and Anita and Tuam, I believe. Wonder if it's still there. It was old then. I also remember a school across Elgin from Baldwin Park...Allen Elementary??

Tell us more, 57

The school across from the park is still there.

We salvaged some neat junk in that park of Midtown. It was amazing to see the old gardens still grow after houses were torn down.

I was able to salvage some great old bricks to create a patio with.

• 7 years later...

Received this through some e-mails, so passing on the info for those who live by Baldwin Park.

The City of Houston Parks and Recreations Department and the Mayor's Office have just approved the use of Baldwin Park on Saturday and Sunday, September 29 and 30, from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., for an event called "Feast of Joy," hosted by a local non-profit organization. During this two-day event, the organizers will "host bible study and other activities under a 20x20 tent as well as feed those who attend." (according to Ricardo E. Magdaleno| Senior Superintendent | Mayor's Office of Special Events).

More than 500 homeless individuals are expected to attend and be fed during this event

The date of this event has been changed. It is now September 29-30, 2012. -Editor

I can't find anything online about it. If it is indeed a real event occurring, a 20x20 tent is not nearly large enough for 500 people. Plus, the group would have had to pay the park rental fee, buy insurance, provide portable bathroom facilities, etc. In other words, they have to have a decent chunk of change to make it happen because of the city requirements to rent the park. I no longer live nearby, but if it is an actual event, I hope the organizers have plans to disperse everyone because camping is not allowed in the park at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I received a note from the people behind this event yesterday. The date is now September 29-30th, 2012. Here's the information they sent along:

The Feast of Joy will be held in Sam Houston Park Saturday and Sunday September 29th and 30th. Many of the same people who participated in the first Feast of Joy in 1990 are coming together this year where thousands of the less fortunate will enjoy a banquet feast.

Listen to the Cries of the Children is bringing awareness and solutions to help stop Human Trafficking. The public is invited to come and bring those less fortunate, especially children, where they can feast sumptuously and be encouraged. Everyone is encouraged to bring clothing, canned goods, toiletries and personal items for the needy.

The blowing of the shofar, the rams horn, will herald the Feast of Joy. Clothing and food will be distributed to those in need. Licensed personnel will be on hand to cut and style hair for the homeless, the needy and socially abandoned segments of our society. Caring servants will uplift their spirits. Job counseling services will be made available for those wanting jobs and opportunities. Joyful entertainment for young and old alike will be performed by many different musical groups.

The Feast of Joy is on Sukkot, the Hebrew holiday or feast of joy. For seven days they would live and eat in the Sukkah, a temporary hut with a roof (called a s’chach) of cut branches and leaves to celebrate the miracle of God’s “Cloud of Glory” which sheltered them for 40 years in the desert, symbolizing humility and dependence upon God’s protection and providence.

The Feast of Joy is sponsored by Hear O’ Israel International in collaboration with Listen to the Cries of the Childrenand all who want to help - individuals, organizations, and companies. The Feast of Joy will be held all day Saturday September 29th and a feast of music will be held all day Sunday September 30th.

Twenty two years ago during the first Feast of Joy, a clear beautiful upside-down rainbow appeared above the Feast as a sign of God’s blessing. Larry and his friend helped cater the first Feast of Joy because his friend received a vision to do so. His friend died but Larry will again this year help cater the Feast.

Listen to the Cries of the Children has been herald in the Congressional Record in Washington, DC, by the Pope in Rome, and people of all backgrounds and denominations as the touch-stone of God’s Heart for turning the hearts of the fathers to the hearts of the children and the hearts of the children back to the hearts of the fathers. As we Listen to the Cries of the Children, ears will be opened to hear the voice of God and action will be taken to meet the needs of the children and to stop human trafficking.

post-1-0-77678800-1348065294_thumb.jpg

I received a note from the people behind this event yesterday. The date is now September 29-30th, 2012. Here's the information they sent along:

The Feast of Joy will be held in Sam Houston Park Saturday and Sunday September 29th and 30th. Many of the same people who participated in the first Feast of Joy in 1990 are coming together this year where thousands of the less fortunate will enjoy a banquet feast.

Listen to the Cries of the Children is bringing awareness and solutions to help stop Human Trafficking. The public is invited to come and bring those less fortunate, especially children, where they can feast sumptuously and be encouraged. Everyone is encouraged to bring clothing, canned goods, toiletries and personal items for the needy.

The blowing of the shofar, the rams horn, will herald the Feast of Joy. Clothing and food will be distributed to those in need. Licensed personnel will be on hand to cut and style hair for the homeless, the needy and socially abandoned segments of our society. Caring servants will uplift their spirits. Job counseling services will be made available for those wanting jobs and opportunities. Joyful entertainment for young and old alike will be performed by many different musical groups.

The Feast of Joy is on Sukkot, the Hebrew holiday or feast of joy. For seven days they would live and eat in the Sukkah, a temporary hut with a roof (called a s’chach) of cut branches and leaves to celebrate the miracle of God’s “Cloud of Glory” which sheltered them for 40 years in the desert, symbolizing humility and dependence upon God’s protection and providence.

The Feast of Joy is sponsored by Hear O’ Israel International in collaboration with Listen to the Cries of the Childrenand all who want to help - individuals, organizations, and companies. The Feast of Joy will be held all day Saturday September 29th and a feast of music will be held all day Sunday September 30th.

Twenty two years ago during the first Feast of Joy, a clear beautiful upside-down rainbow appeared above the Feast as a sign of God’s blessing. Larry and his friend helped cater the first Feast of Joy because his friend received a vision to do so. His friend died but Larry will again this year help cater the Feast.

Listen to the Cries of the Children has been herald in the Congressional Record in Washington, DC, by the Pope in Rome, and people of all backgrounds and denominations as the touch-stone of God’s Heart for turning the hearts of the fathers to the hearts of the children and the hearts of the children back to the hearts of the fathers. As we Listen to the Cries of the Children, ears will be opened to hear the voice of God and action will be taken to meet the needs of the children and to stop human trafficking.

post-1-0-77678800-1348065294_thumb.jpg

My girlfriend is thinking of buying a town home near Baldwin Park. I don't know much a out the area but the surrounding areas look dangerous. I was wondering if you all had any input. Is the area improving, or is it as good as it will ever be? Are there a lot of crimes down there? Would buying a town home there be a good long term investment? Thanks.

I live near the park. Some sketchy characters are abound at night time and crime does happen. Put the address in EveryBlock and you can get a daily feed of HPD and HFD responses to events. That should give you a good feel for the area, but compare it to your other choices as well. Personally, I have not felt threatened by anyone. The "poorfolk" say hello to me every time.

As far as "investment" goes, I would advise against buying for potential future appreciation. Buy for other reasons, just be happy with the place, and treat any profit from selling as a bonus. I can tell by your questions that your time horizon is not that far. Maybe 5 years tops? I can almost (but not completely) guarantee you that this area will be gentrified with much higher expected returns than the already bustling west side of Midtown as they stand today. I just cannot tell you when that will happen.

The tIme horizon is 30 years. It's a place she would live in for a while and then rent out until the mortgage is paid. I'm curious why you think the returns would be higher than the west side. Baldwin Park already seems built out. I don't know what else is going to make it much better. The light rail will bring in a constant flow of vagrants. Also, the neighborhoods on the other side of 59 aren't going anywhere soon. Don't get me wrong, the area looks nice. I just wonder how any of the current problems will go away.

There is currently an empty lot on the west side of Baldwin Park. A few more blocks out in several directions, more empty lots and underused property. For those reasons alone, I hardly qualify the area as built out. The fact that this area needs more improvement than the west side equates to a higher upside. The premium has not been completely priced in, so to speak. Of course like you said, current conditions are not the most desirable, but this area was just a barren wasteland a couple of decades ago. You would have made a killing if you bought back then, but who wants to buy a wasteland, eh?

I do know that the rental market in the area is as strong as any. If the math works out, buying as a future rental may be reason enough. That's my plan, and I wish I could rent out my place right now.

Edited by photohunts

I lived there for five years and recently sold my townhouse. My wife and I loved living there, but I believe all the major returns for the townhomes have already been realized (I made a small gain). The townhomes are getting older, and lots of work will be needed in the future on them. Some are already getting run down. One that was across from us was beautiful until the guy couldn't sell it so he turned it rental. It deteriorated in a year and became an eye-sore. I can't imagine how his neighbors (esp the one sharing a common wall) felt. Also, a common concern at HOA annual meetings was the number of rentals in the area. 30 years out... who knows what it will be like. The neighborhood will probably be awesome. The townhomes themselves... I wouldn't hold my breath. The main Baldwin Square HOA only collects enough money for common areas, fencing, etc. They have no reserves to take corrective action on property owners that become neglectful other than sending angry letters.

Living there, my wife would walk around by herself (and with our baby daughter) during the day. At night, no way. The crime stats for Midtown are good, and police response times are awesome (I know because I had to call them a lot). You just have to realize that being the most walk-able neighborhood in the city has advantages and disadvantages. There is a lot of bad foot traffic through the neighborhood, and lots of suspicious people. Most of them just move along or are dealing and they leave you alone. Some do steal mail/packages/potted plants/etc. One of my neighbors had a jacket stolen, and a guy returned later at night with it asking if he wanted to buy it back. That said, the only crime committed against me in my five years was someone stole some of my xmas decorations last year.

Feel free to ask me whatever else.

Edited by brian0123

We lived in MIdtown near Baldwin Park for 5+ years, leaving when we decided to move to a regular house to raise our son. Opportunities for children to play freely are somewhat lacking in Midtown. I never felt in danger there, even at night. The drug dealers weren't a problem, they wanted everythng quiet so business wouldn't suffer. The male prostitutes were a pain, they would just as soon hurt you as do anything else, so we called HPD on them whenever possible. A real though in my mind that helped drive our decision was the potential for the houses to degrade. None of them are particularly well built - they are OK, but were built pretty quickly. I did not want to be in a situation where I had to come up with 10 or 20 thousand dollars to fund my share of repairs. The rooves on the first Perry units are approaching 15 years old (built in 1998), and will need replacing. That won't be cheap, and some of the owners will object, which will lead to problems.

• Like 1

The drug dealers and prostitutes in this area scare me. What I don't get... they're concentrated in a few apt buildings. Everyone in the area knows where they are. Why doesn't the city just force them out? The property values have to be skyrocketing for that area by now, and I know the city wants residents to be safe.

have a friend that lives in a townhome right by the park (been there for almost 6 years now).

it's not the best area, but it's not the worst area, by far.

There's a halfway house on Tuam and Crawford. Well, I assume it's one of those cheap cot for the night type places. There's people walking around at all hours. I've never been hassled by anyone there though.

HA! Replies to the OP question about moving into the area are classic!

"The police response times are awesome!"

"The drug dealers don't really bother me, but the male prostitutes do..."

Sure does make one want to move right in. Great thread.

The area is definitely a fun place to live and I do recommend it. We loved living there despite the negatives because it was constant excitement (good and bad). It was awesome having an officer at your door in minutes, and the 2am male prostitutes dancing in the streets to "attract business" always cracked my wife and I up. The neighborhood continues to improve, big projects are in the works, and there is never a dull moment to be had. I loved to ride my bike around and go speeding off to any police lights I'd see down the road. Once I saw an HPD officer do an awesome one-handed choke slam on a guy at the Greyhound station while on a ride.

Don't let the negatives keep you away from the fun, though. As the neighborhood improves, all the excitement will go away and you'll end up in the most walkable and developed neighborhood in the city.

Whoa, I'm left spinning on what you feel are positives vs. negatives. Buck-naked dancing prostitutes at 2am might be funny in the Hangover 3, but for the people with kids who tire of law enforcements blasé attitude towards their jobs it's not all that exciting. I'm with you in that some of its downright funny when you're at a bar telling a "you ain't gonna believe this" story, but the fun stops when the same guy exposes himself to your kid when the family is driving by.

Everyone involved in Midtown says its going to get better, but I don't see how if they refuse to get serious about the concerns of their residents. (who are starting their own organizations due to lack of response from the MMD)

Whoa, I'm left spinning on what you feel are positives vs. negatives. Buck-naked dancing prostitutes at 2am might be funny in the Hangover 3, but for the people with kids who tire of law enforcements blasé attitude towards their jobs it's not all that exciting. I'm with you in that some of its downright funny when you're at a bar telling a "you ain't gonna believe this" story, but the fun stops when the same guy exposes himself to your kid when the family is driving by.

Everyone involved in Midtown says its going to get better, but I don't see how if they refuse to get serious about the concerns of their residents. (who are starting their own organizations due to lack of response from the MMD)

Now I'm curious about this buck naked dancing at 2AM that will drive kids from their beds. No homo.

• Like 1

Now I'm curious about this buck naked dancing at 2AM that will drive kids from their beds. No homo.

Probably driving home from the 2am family outing to Walmart.

To be fair, the best time to shop at Walmart is between 3 and 4am, it's not family oriented fun, but hey, strippers have to shop too, and what more logical time to do it than on their way home from work like everyone else!

• Like 1

Probably driving home from the 2am family outing to Walmart.

To be fair, the best time to shop at Walmart is between 3 and 4am, it's not family oriented fun, but hey, strippers have to shop too, and what more logical time to do it than on their way home from work like everyone else!

So I take it you've had a few run-ins with them while stocking up on glitter and assorted crafting supplies?

• Like 1

My cousin was interested in Baldwin Park when she first moved here...places were priced in her range, big enough, new enough. I was in the same boat when I was looking to live inside the loop and ended up choosing the Heights over Baldwin. I got an older, smaller place, walking distance to White Oak (admittedly before it became the destination it currently is) and have no regrets. I steered my cousin away from the lure of Baldwin and she now lives on Harvard close to White Oak. Same price, smaller living space, much better location. Plus she can walk the dog at night on her own with some peace.