The Dark Knight

Trae

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait to see this. Batman Begins totally revived the Batman film franchise. It was pretty lame during the Kilmer and Clooney years.

I haven't seen the new preview yet, but just the teaser where you hear Ledger's Joker voice...man. Gonna be sweet. In that teaer, even Michael Caine's Alfred seemed cool. Alfred. Awesome.

He does a better job than Jack Nicholson did..
Well, I don't know about "better". These movies are from an entirely different vision of the Batman comic series. I don't think you could have picked a better Joker than Jack for that version of the comic-movie adaptations.

The Clooney/Kilmer sequels were the worst ever. Right in line with the Superman sequals.

I saw the preview during I Am Legend on Monday night.

This was a damn good movie and possibly the best zombie flick I've seen to date.

This movie is going to rock. To go from a gay cowboy on Brokeback Mountain to this is pretty good. He does a better job than Jack Nicholson did:

I saw this when I went to see I am Legend last Thursday. I think it is gonna rock too. I am glad it is darker and more sinister.

I got sick of the goofy Batman movies.

• 6 months later...

I'm seeing it at 7 PM at Katy Mills. Should be packed. Some studio estimates are no having this thing have a $160 to $180 million opening weekend (most all time). Part of that is because the midnight showings were the largest ever.

And I know some people who saw it, and they say it is nothing like a superhero movie. It is more like a crime/drama/action movie. They also said it barely squeaked by on its PG-13 rating. Some even say they don't know how it got the PG-13 rating. Uncut DVD confirmed.

I saw a lot of the filming for the last Batman because they did a lot of it outside my bedroom window. Since then I've moved a dozen blocks away, but it's good to see they're still using the same streets for the chase and action scenes.

The new one that's cool is the one where Batman rides his motorcycle through what looks like a blue glass and stainless steel mall. That's the train station underneath Millennium Park which services Metra and South Shore Electric Railway suburban commuter trains. I like to go the Starbucks there since the tourists don't know it's right under their feet since it's underground.

Here's a web page I put together during the filming of Batman Begins.

bmo-003.jpg

It's amazing the kind of helicopter work they do for these films. They weave down tight alleys that even the buses won't attempt. And at night. Stunt flying at its best.

The place I used to work is used as a storage lot for a lot of the vehicles and helicopters. That's how I was able to get these shots

Helos-001.jpg

Helos-002.jpg

Tuesday they had the premiere at the IMAX down the street. Michael Kane and a couple of the other supporting stars were there, but NOT the Batman, himself. I guess he was at the Hollywood premiere.

There's some grumbling about the fact that neither the governor nor the mayor showed up for the event. Nor did anyone from the state film office. Kind of ungrateful considering the movie makers spent $40 million filming in the city and even imploded that old parking garage the city wanted to tear down (it's made up to look like a hospital in the movie) for free.

it barely squeaked by on its PG-13 rating. Some even say they don't know how it got the PG-13 rating. Uncut DVD confirmed.

Because of violence, or gore, or what? Not sex?

That's cool Editor!

And it barely squeaked by on its PG-13 rating because of violence and gore. And the film is VERY dark. Don't bring kids under 12, unless you plan on staying up late with them. ;)

That's cool Editor!

And it barely squeaked by on its PG-13 rating because of violence and gore. And the film is VERY dark. Don't bring kids under 12, unless you plan on staying up late with them. ;)

Great. I don't like scary or gory movies and the wife's dragging me to both this and the X-Files.

The Dark Knight is scary though. ;)

Did you ever get a chance to go down and meet the actors when they were filming? Or was it like ultra security?

I wouldn't say security was especially tight. I know a lot of fans would go into the upper levels of the nearby parking garages to watch. There was a lot of filming in this neighborhood for the last couple of years, so people kind of just ignore it and walk on by. I don't see that much this year, though. I did once get into a little tiff with a security guard who wouldn't let me cross a bridge to get home because they were filming the river. I ended up sneaking around him and going across on one of the lower levels.

When they were filming Prison Break a quick-fingered pedestrian could usually score a snack walking by the catering tables set up on the sidewalks. ;)

I saw it last night. As a preface, this is NOT my type of film. That said, it was more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

Some thoughts;

1) too long

2) Ledger was AMAZING in the Joker role

3) Batman's voice was annoying

4) Supporting cast was pretty sweet

In the end, I am sure I was intrigued because of Ledger's recent suicide. Made the movie that much more compelling and I couldn't help but connect the Joker's outlook with Ledger in real life.

Saw it at 3:15pm on a Friday and it was a packed house.

Very good, VERY dark, just like Batman should be. Almost "FILM NOIR". Alot of people, I could hear, whispering at the beginning about how "dark" it was, like there was something wrong with the projector. They apparently weren't Batman fans, and just came as a morbid curiosity to see Heath's last performance. I don't know if Heath's portrayal was indeed OSCAR worthy, but Heath certainly trumped Jack's role of the 90's. I would have liked to have seen Heath do another 2 or 3 as the Joker, I think he actually was born to play that role. If you haven't seen the movie yet, go see it, then you might have a little insight as to why Heath was taking sleeping pills. He may just have given himself nightmares over being the Joker and was having trouble sleeping ?

I didn't think the movie was too long. It went by so fast. I thought it had ended like an hour before it did, so I was slurping up my soda (only having to use the restroom really bad once the movie was over). Went to Katy Mills at 7 PM. Movie was sold out until midnight, so we bought one for near midnight and went into the 7 showing anyway. It was worth it.

Oh yeah, and Dark Knight breaks the all-time weekend record (over that POS Spiderman 3). In its first day, it did $67 million. Second day, it did $48 million, and Sunday, it did $43 million.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jb68x_t...y79OGgD922GD901

"The Dark Knight," the crime saga about vigilante Batman and his wealthy alter ego Wayne, debuted with a record $158.4 million, according to final weekend numbers Monday. That was up $3.1 million from studio estimates of $155.3 million a day earlier.

Starring Christian Bale as Batman and the late Heath Ledger as the Joker, "The Dark Knight" surpassed Hollywood's previous best opening weekend of $151.1 million set last year by "Spider-Man 3."

The hotly anticipated sequel to "Batman Begins" grew into a cultural event after Ledger's death from an accidental prescription-drug overdose in January, with critical acclaim over his maniacal performance firing up fans for the film.

Anyone else not put any stock in these record setting openings in $ figures? I'm not saying more people didn't see Dark Knight than saw Gone with the Wind at the theater, but I'm guessing a ticket was 25 cents or less back then. Even when I was a kid, most of the time we went to the $1 theater and new movies were $3.50, at night. Now it's $9.50 some places, ridiculous. Not hard to set new records with prices going up like that. I want to hear tickets sold numbers. Better yet, I want to hear it normalized over the total theater seating available. There are way more theaters around now than there were 20 years ago.

Anyway, I am definitely looking forward to seeing this, but it's not at the top of the list of things I would do if we could actually leave our baby with a baby-sitter (chick will NOT take a bottle!! It's the real stuff only for her). I'll probably catch up with everyone else when it finally comes out for rental.

Great movie. I paid $14 to go see it. Imax. Well worth the extra coin. I think many were surprised to see this incarnation as so dark, but this has been the case for well over 20 years since Frank Miller did the classic Dark Knight graphic novels back in the 80s.

What really piqued my interest was the trailer for the Watchmen, which many (including myself) classify as the best graphic novel ever created. If done right, this movie could turn heads. For one, I'm glad to see the 'comic book' industry be brought to the big screen with decent budgets and well scripted screenplays. Many people dont realize that movies like 300 and Sin City started off on the shelves of your neighborhood comic book store.

What really piqued my interest was the trailer for the Watchmen, which many (including myself) classify as the best graphic novel ever created. If done right, this movie could turn heads. For one, I'm glad to see the 'comic book' industry be brought to the big screen with decent budgets and well scripted screenplays. Many people dont realize that movies like 300 and Sin City started off on the shelves of your neighborhood comic book store.

Loved the Dark Knight. Heath Ledger was downright scary. The Watchmen looks interesting but what caught my eye was the trailer for "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

Great movie. I paid $14 to go see it. Imax. Well worth the extra coin. I think many were surprised to see this incarnation as so dark, but this has been the case for well over 20 years since Frank Miller did the classic Dark Knight graphic novels back in the 80s.

I am SO EXCITED about the Watchmen film, I should probably be more than a little ashamed of myself. :lol: Also, that old Smashing Pumpkins song fit the trailer perfectly. I'm so glad they resurrected that song from the awful movie it was originally written for: none other than Batman & Robin. :P

The only thing that slightly concerns me about Watchmen is the lack of "big names" attached to it. Billy Crudup and Carla Gugino are the only two that most people would know by name, and even then it's a stretch. On one hand, it could do wonders for the film: no one will be thinking about Inventing The Abbots or whatever else Billy Crudup was in while seeing Watchmen, they'll only be seeing him as Dr. Manhattan. Same with The Comedian (Harry Dean Morgan????) and Rorschach (not that you can see his face anyway). On the other hand, people might take the lack of star power as a sign that no one "big" wanted to sign on to this project. I really hope it's the former.

I am SO EXCITED about the Watchmen film, I should probably be more than a little ashamed of myself. :lol: Also, that old Smashing Pumpkins song fit the trailer perfectly. I'm so glad they resurrected that song from the awful movie it was originally written for: none other than Batman & Robin. :P

The only thing that slightly concerns me about Watchmen is the lack of "big names" attached to it. Billy Crudup and Carla Gugino are the only two that most people would know by name, and even then it's a stretch. On one hand, it could do wonders for the film: no one will be thinking about Inventing The Abbots or whatever else Billy Crudup was in while seeing Watchmen, they'll only be seeing him as Dr. Manhattan. Same with The Comedian (Harry Dean Morgan????) and Rorschach (not that you can see his face anyway). On the other hand, people might take the lack of star power as a sign that no one "big" wanted to sign on to this project. I really hope it's the former.

.............or, the cost for the CGI in The Watchmen made it almost a foregone conclusion that there wasn't anything left in the budget for a Keanu or a Cameron Diaz. The Watchmen is also kinda strictly "comic book fan" genre. Everyone knows Batman and Superman. You make a Watchmen movie or a Harbinger movie, and you may not get pull the numbers you are looking for. Look what happened with Hellboy, horrible at box office, but word got out, and now Hellboy 2 should bring in some decent cash.

The Dark Knight Crushes $200 Million Record

Source: Media by Numbers

July 23, 2008

Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark Knight broke another record on Tuesday becoming the fastest ever to cross the $200 million mark in five days! The previous record of eight days was held by three films - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Spider-Man 2 and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins follow-up added $20.87 million on Tuesday to push its massive total to $203.8 million. That puts it at #84 already on the all-time domestic blockbuster list after just five days.

Right now, the only number we have for international markets is $41.3 million but that will start going up significantly as the movie is opening in many countries Thursday and Friday as well as into August.

So let's recap - widest release (4,366 theaters), biggest opening weekend ($158.4M), biggest July opener ($158.4M), biggest PG-13 rated opening ($158.4M), biggest single day ($67.2M), biggest opening day ($67.2M), biggest Friday ($67.2M), biggest Sunday ($43.6M) and fastest to $200M in five days ($203.8M).

More: http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=7524

Some amazing numbers to be sure, but how many people will pay to see it twice? Three times? Four? The top movies seem to be very watchable over and over again, and I'm not sure this falls into the same category. Great acting, great story, but so was Schindlers List and thats not a movie I can watch all that often.

Some amazing numbers to be sure, but how many people will pay to see it twice? Three times? Four? The top movies seem to be very watchable over and over again, and I'm not sure this falls into the same category. Great acting, great story, but so was Schindlers List and thats not a movie I can watch all that often.

Most of my friends have already seen it twice...and it's only Wednesday. :lol:

We're a bunch of dorks, to be sure! :)

This kid in my neighborhood has seen it five times, with one of those times in IMAX. He saw it once with me, twice with his dad, and I don't know who else he saw it with after that.

This movie is going to rock. To go from a gay cowboy on Brokeback Mountain to this is pretty good. He does a better job than Jack Nicholson did:

joker_onesheet1_sm.jpg

I haven't seen it yet. Was it good.

I tend to like the lighter Batman movies (the first one with Jack Nicholson was great), but they got lamer as more stars and sillier plots came along.

I am not sure what to think ... other than Batman seems just as crazy as the Joker.

BTW, how did he get such a messed up face? What was the backstory on that this time?

This kid in my neighborhood has seen it five times, with one of those times in IMAX. He saw it once with me, twice with his dad, and I don't know who else he saw it with after that.

I saw I Am Legend on IMAX. First time seeing anything recently on IMAX and was not impressed. I think I was too close to the screen.

There is no story. They made it less comic booky. Instead of magically falling into chemicals and getting bleached (Nicholson's Joker), Ledger's Joker puts the makeup on his face himself. There is no origin really. I'm trying not to give too much away.

Archived