Westchase

volvo99

What is happening to the area of Westheimer west of Fountainview? It seems north of Westheimer, it appears viable with lots of store-front retail and dining, but south of it it appears a bit run down with shady nightclubs and massage parlors taking over the defunct Richmond Strip...

Are we looking at a future Sharpstown?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is happening to the area of Westheimer west of Fountainview? It seems north of Westheimer, it appears viable with lots of store-front retail and dining, but south of it it appears a bit run down with shady nightclubs and massage parlors taking over the defunct Richmond Strip...

Are we looking at a future Sharpstown?

As 27 has already explained it, that area is way too far from Westchcase. I have driven on almost every major road in the area between I-10, West Park, West Loop and Highway 6. The only bad parts include the section of Westheimer between Fountainview and Foundren (when I say section, I mean the road itself and not the nearby neighborhoods), section of Westheimer between Kirkwood and Highway 6, section of Richmond from Hillcroft to Gessner and the block bounded by Hillcroft, Richmod, West Park and Fountain View. Those parts look run down primarily because of free-for-all kind of commercial properties. Much of the rest of the region is very solid and include some of the finest neighborhoods in Houston.

As for Westchase, it is roughly bounded by Westheimer, Kirkwood, Gessner and West Park. If anything, this area has actually gotten better in the past and is getting even better. There are many powerful businesses such as Halliburton, BMC Software, Dow Chemical and Microsoft. Indeed, the only part of Westheimer west of Fountainview that is good is the section that runs through Westchase district.

• 7 months later...

I was driving along Westheimer yesterday and saw that the Westchase Development District has planted trees in the center median from around Kirkwood to Wilcrest.

They looked either like Cypress or Fir, but they were bare so I couldn't tell.

They looked either like Cypress or Fir, but they were bare so I couldn't tell.

Might they be those unusual deciduous conifers that they've planted in Midtown along the Post development and in Downtown in the park near GRBrown, the ones that turn fall colors? If so, good choice, although I would hope that one day Metrorail would run down that median.

By the way, not sure if this would still be Westchase, but one of the largest remaining empty tracts of land on Westheimer, at Synott, will be developed into high-end apartments. They mention possibly adding retail as well. (article here).

Westchase seems to me like the 20-35 year old apartment mecca of Houston. I don't mean that in a bad way and I bet a lot of those apartments will get converted into condos over time.

Might they be those unusual deciduous conifers that they've planted in Midtown along the Post development and in Downtown in the park near GRBrown, the ones that turn fall colors? If so, good choice, although I would hope that one day Metrorail would run down that median.

Yeah, they did look deciduous, and possibly conifner. I thought the new rumor was having the rail run down Richmond? Westheimer would look great with the rail, but how would all those people get off, and across the street?

I thought the new rumor was having the rail run down Richmond? Westheimer would look great with the rail, but how would all those people get off, and across the street?

Right, but I'm hoping for a future line down Westheimer. The East-West line, or whatever the name will be, will only go west to...I think near the Galleria.

Westheimer outside the loop is never going to be a pedestrian haven but it's such a major boulevard with a variety of amenities and it passes through such a large population center that it just seems like a likely spot for rail down the road.

As for how passengers would get off and cross, I suppose there would be the same stations in the median and wider versions of the crosswalks used at the stations now.

There was an article in the paper the other day that said office space in Westchase is filled nearly to capacity, and new projects are coming soon. Jacobs Engineering is one of them. They have a nice building at Oak Park, and they are building a new one near Harwin and BW8. I don't think it will be a new highrise, unfortunately.

Just inside the Beltway at Westheimer is that 100+ acre tract called West8. They've yet to develop it however. If what you say is true about Westchase commercial space being at full capacity, I wonder if this will push the development of that land?

Just inside the Beltway at Westheimer is that 100+ acre tract called West8. They've yet to develop it however. If what you say is true about Westchase commercial space being at full capacity, I wonder if this will push the development of that land?

This piece of land is already slated for a new commercial mall and hotel to be built. It was announced about 6 months ago. It will be a very well laid out market place with restaurants and high-end stores. B)

Any renderings or a website?

Let me dig around buddy. There was a big sign out in front of the land, The roads are already built also. There is also a new BofA already in place there with a Mediterranean Elevation on it, which is what the rest of the place will look like. It is almost like an extension of The Carillion Plaza next to it.

• 4 months later...
I hope so. That area could make Westchase into a cool urban center. There are already some large hotels and buildings there, but there's room for more to fill in.

I think they're making a new urban village adjacent to Memorial City Mall. It's supposed to have everything you need in a very small space, including grocery, dining, park, and shopping. The only problem is, these ammenities alone do not make it a true urban center. You would also need things like government offices, barber shops, fancy dept. stores, and a post office.

I don't mean to be negative, but I have a feeling that in 10 years, Westchase will be the most dangerous ghetto in Houston, given the direction it is currently heading in. I have been looking at crime GIS reports, and most of the violent crime in Houston in 2005 is happening very close to Westchase, and so I'm afraid it will chase away the desirable people to other parts of town, and the crime wave will just absorb Westchase. Don't let the pretty high rises fool you. Greenspoint built those too in the 80s and look what happened to it since then. I would imagine though that if Westchase turns into a ghetto it would be even more dangerous than Greenspoint, since that area seems to be kept clean and well maintained, at least for the central business district.

I don't mean to be negative, but I have a feeling that in 10 years, Westchase will be the most dangerous ghetto in Houston, given the direction it is currently heading in. I have been looking at crime GIS reports, and most of the violent crime in Houston in 2005 is happening very close to Westchase, and so I'm afraid it will chase away the desirable people to other parts of town, and the crime wave will just absorb Westchase.

Its all those apartments. I'm thinking of the ones on the northside of Westheimer around Hayes & the other ones on the southside of Westheimer around Rogerdale. Then you've got all those apartments by Tanglewilde around Richmond & Briarpark. What makes it worse, is that there a bunch of newer apartments closer to Highway 6. I can easily see people skipping Westchase apartments to go a little further west, where its "newer".

Oh yeah, I've also noticed prostitutes working the beltway motels in the past as well.

Its all those apartments. I'm thinking of the ones on the northside of Westheimer around Hayes & the other ones on the southside of Westheimer around Rogerdale. Then you've got all those apartments by Tanglewilde around Richmond & Briarpark. What makes it worse, is that there a bunch of newer apartments closer to Highway 6. I can easily see people skipping Westchase apartments to go a little further west, where its "newer".

Oh yeah, I've also noticed prostitutes working the beltway motels in the past as well.

There is only one apartment complex along Rogerdale south of Westheimer. And that is actually quite nice so I am not sure why you specifically single that one out. The ones around Hayes and some along Kirkwood do look shady. However, I am not sure why would people be skipping Westchase to go all the west to Highway 6. Westchase has a lot more ameneties and has the advantage of location, being closer to Uptown etc, and more accessible due to Beltway 8. I think Westchase is more of a mixed bag. On one hand, you got all those businesses, brand new apartment complexes and proximity to nice neighborhoods like Briargrove, Royal Oaks etc who would want to keep the area safe and clean. On the other hand, you got some questionable apartment complexes. However, isn't this the case anywhere in Houston?

I know which apartment complex you're referring to, and I wasn't implying that one specifically. I said "around Rodgerdale". I should have said Walnut Bend.

I'm not sure what ammenities people who live in apartments would want, except new construction in their apartment. The only thing Highway 6 apartment renters wouldn't have that Westchase apartment renters have is a PF Changs. If that wasn't the case, then why are new apartments always at near full occupancy, and why older apartments rent for less?

There's a lot of people in the area - I can attest to that because of the traffic. The densest place in the whole region is midway between 610 and BW8 so wouldn't it make sense that there is more crime? Well, I haven't been murdered yet.

• 2 months later...
CREATING A SENSE OF COMMUNITY

'Edge city' evolves into an urban core

Westchase District is working to reinvent itself as a convenient 'downtown' for west Houston

By MIKE SNYDER

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

......Westchase began developing in the early 1970s on land still grazed by cattle. Today, 25,000 people live in the district, and more than 56,500 work within its boundaries. It is one of Houston's strongest markets for office space.......

Article

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

None of this is surprising. People act like Westchase was supposed to be an edge city like the Woodlands. It's just a district, and very much a part of the city of Houston. Westchase is like Greenspoint area was back in the 90s. It's going through some turbulence. Maybe it will recover and experience a renaissance. Maybe it will get worse and the entire west side will merge with the southwest as a giant ghetto.

None of this is surprising. People act like Westchase was supposed to be an edge city like the Woodlands. It's just a district, and very much a part of the city of Houston. Westchase is like Greenspoint area was back in the 90s. It's going through some turbulence. Maybe it will recover and experience a renaissance. Maybe it will get worse and the entire west side will merge with the southwest as a giant ghetto.

My husband works in Westchase. Surprisingly, when we talke to 9 out of 10 people in Houston, they have no idea where Westchase is.

Maybe it will get worse and the entire west side will merge with the southwest as a giant ghetto.

I don't see this happening with the efforts being put forth by the Westchase Development District. Some just needs to keep holding the flame to these apartment complex managers' feet when it comes to rent, and deed restrictions. You have to remember that you have all those nursing homes, shopping centers, Royal Oaks, Shadow Lake, and Walnut Bend west of the belt to vie for that neighborhood.

As for the Asian on Asian crime, I'm willing to bet its Vietnamese on Vietnamese and the shooter(s) probably live somewhere south - nowhere close by there.

Briarforest & Wilcrest is a pocket-ghetto thanks to the complexes on Wilcrest just north of Briarforest. You can tell instantly that bad management let those get so run down. Its a complete shame.

Archived