Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers At 1902 Westheimer Rd.

hysinger

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last time I drove by, about a week ago, the frame of the building was going up.

... or maybe that is a separate construction site than the Martha Turner one..

I was referring to the lot west of the recently built Mediterranean style mixed use building beside Empire Cafe. That lot has something going up on it now.

Yes there is something framed on the Architectural Emporium lot at the corner of Woodhead and Westheimer. Looks like a flowershop going up where Martha Turner is now (a little further west). There's a lot of activity along that little strip - hard to keep track sometimes!

Yes there is something framed on the Architectural Emporium lot at the corner of Woodhead and Westheimer. Looks like a flowershop going up where Martha Turner is now (a little further west). There's a lot of activity along that little strip - hard to keep track sometimes!

It does sound like a flowershop - what happened to the One Origin Center referenced above? Or am I confused about the locations?

no it's the same location. I guess things will become clearer as demo and construction progress - the posts above indicate there's more to this than a flower shop, so....we'll see.

It was coming down in big chunks today. We'll see what happens. I hope that it resembles what they were originally planning. The designers are the same guys that did Diedrich's across the street.

That's auspicious. That building had a very nice feel to it, at least when it was a coffee shop.

I remember all that Diedrich's stuff when it was a gas station and rundown warehouses. I like to flash my old school neighborhood credentials by saying I got my oil changed there back in the day. Their link has some old photos under renovations. http://www.miradorgroup.com/

I think the architects did a good job with the buildings. The owners then drove out the coffee shop for manicures. Boooo.

Where are people getting this flower shop info?

Impressive credentials indeed!

Here

1902 Westheimer - Plants & Petals. Maybe that's what was there but I don't know of a shop there called that. It's just an ugly old grey abandoned building.

I think I can clear this up. The Martha Turner is going down, as was the old flower shop that was part of that block. They are also taking down the old house and apartments on Hazard (referenced on Swamplot). There are at least 3 structures going down for this thing.

Ok that's what threw me. The Hazard apartments are in zip code 77019, which I assumed was further north - I didn't realize Westheimer was the border between 77098 and 77019.

The thread thanks you for shedding light on this. Looks like it's going to be fairly substantial. Next stop: Oak Farms Storage!!

Ok that's what threw me. The Hazard apartments are in zip code 77019, which I assumed was further north - I didn't realize Westheimer was the border between 77098 and 77019.

The thread thanks you for shedding light on this. Looks like it's going to be fairly substantial. Next stop: Oak Farms Storage!!

I actually thought storage was pretty good use for the old dairy. I mean, you have this strangely shaped multistory dairy, and if you don't tear it down what can you do with it? Voila! Fill it with everyone's christmas decorations and old weight benches

I actually thought storage was pretty good use for the old dairy. I mean, you have this strangely shaped multistory dairy, and if you don't tear it down what can you do with it? Voila! Fill it with everyone's christmas decorations and old weight benches

I said this in an earlier post but it bears repeating. You have a HUGE windowless building on what is becoming a highly walkable pedestrian oriented thoroughfare. Move the storage buildings to the freeway where nobody cares what's on the side of the road because they're all going 80, I mean the speed limit. Say somewhere on 59 that's not too far from the neighborhood - I can think of a few already there. Then use the space for more sociable, street-oriented land uses. This being Houston the market will ultimately drive things, but one can hope.

I said this in an earlier post but it bears repeating. You have a HUGE windowless building on what is becoming a highly walkable pedestrian oriented thoroughfare. Move the storage buildings to the freeway where nobody cares what's on the side of the road because they're all going 80, I mean the speed limit. Say somewhere on 59 that's not too far from the neighborhood - I can think of a few already there. Then use the space for more sociable, street-oriented land uses. This being Houston the market will ultimately drive things, but one can hope.

Fair enough, but when that thing was remodeled years ago it was a smart way to recycle an old industrial building like that. When you just look at the layout of it, it's hard to imagine what you might do with it. It has a million nooks and crannies and weird angles, it has 3.5 stories, huge service bay doors... It was either make it a storage place or tear it down and strip mall the place. I'd love to see someone take it down and turn it into the kind of apartment building Gaudi would design. Who volunteers?

Personally, I'd like to see it converted back into a dairy so we can get some fresh half and half around here.

Fair enough, but when that thing was remodeled years ago it was a smart way to recycle an old industrial building like that. When you just look at the layout of it, it's hard to imagine what you might do with it. It has a million nooks and crannies and weird angles, it has 3.5 stories, huge service bay doors... It was either make it a storage place or tear it down and strip mall the place. I'd love to see someone take it down and turn it into the kind of apartment building Gaudi would design. Who volunteers?

Personally, I'd like to see it converted back into a dairy so we can get some fresh half and half around here.

I agree - the quest for the perfect White Russian is never-ending.

There's more chance of Wilshire Village being restored than the dairy becoming apartments.

I agree - the quest for the perfect White Russian is never-ending.

There's more chance of Wilshire Village being restored than the dairy becoming apartments.

Looks like the storage place's appraisal value went up by another $1 million this year. I wonder how long it, the 99 cent store, and the hardware store can last. I'd personally only miss Southland, so I hope it sticks around a long time... But really, how often do you see a storage place demolished?

Too bad we're all still in the dark about Wilshire Village...I noticed that a few people pointed it out for the Chronicle's "find crappy apartments" search. It obviously didn't fit in with the others in the list, but I can see where the posters were coming from

Looks like the storage place's appraisal value went up by another $1 million this year. I wonder how long it, the 99 cent store, and the hardware store can last. I'd personally only miss Southland, so I hope it sticks around a long time... But really, how often do you see a storage place demolished?

Too bad we're all still in the dark about Wilshire Village...I noticed that a few people pointed it out for the Chronicle's "find crappy apartments" search. It obviously didn't fit in with the others in the list, but I can see where the posters were coming from

Agreed, but how often to you see one in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Generally they are built from scratch on less expensive land in an area that befits that particular land use - right next to a freeway, railway tracks, etc. Dairy Farms is very much an exceptional case for the reasons capn pointed out.

Regarding Wilshire Village - with the new condo/apartment market oversubscribed in the area as it will be over the next year as the various projects complete, I think the Wilshire Village project is at best on hold for an extended period. I"d like to see something happen there cos it sure does look like *ss.

The demo seems to have knocked out the lights at the intersection of Hazard and Westheimer. Place was full of cops AND COH traffic responders this afternoon on my way home. I thought the traffic responders were supposed to be there to relieve the police of these types of duties.....?

Amazing how different the place looks now with that big wall gone.

• 2 weeks later...
I stopped going to this area after Diedrich's was forced out of their space. That was one of the worst days of my life. Winlow Place and anyone connected to it is dead to me.

I'm new to this forum, but I like what I see. Just a note about the center where the old Diedrichs was located. I have spoken with the Diedrichs owner on a few occasions, as he's been known to step in Firkin & Phoenix on occasion, and it was 1 person specifically that forced them out of the center and that same person has wrought havoc on the other tenants. I'm not a huge fan of the nail shop or the other frou frou store, but Firkin and Phoenix (the pub on the end) is a really great establishment. The owner of the pub has been fighting an uphill battle in disassociating his establishment from the management company of the property. It seems your not the only person with this sentiment toward the Winslow Place area. Regardless, its a great little establishment with a great beer variety and much better than average bar food. I encourage anyone in the area to stop in for a pint! (Note: I am not employed there and was not coerced into making this post. I do however pay the light bill ;))

I'm new to this forum, but I like what I see. Just a note about the center where the old Diedrichs was located. I have spoken with the Diedrichs owner on a few occasions, as he's been known to step in Firkin & Phoenix on occasion, and it was 1 person specifically that forced them out of the center and that same person has wrought havoc on the other tenants. I'm not a huge fan of the nail shop or the other frou frou store, but Firkin and Phoenix (the pub on the end) is a really great establishment. The owner of the pub has been fighting an uphill battle in disassociating his establishment from the management company of the property. It seems your not the only person with this sentiment toward the Winslow Place area. Regardless, its a great little establishment with a great beer variety and much better than average bar food. I encourage anyone in the area to stop in for a pint! (Note: I am not employed there and was not coerced into making this post. I do however pay the light bill ;) )

Welcome to the Forum.

There's an existing thread on the Diedrich topic here .

What exactly is the sentiment towards the Winslow (sic) Place area that you're referring to, and tp whom is it directed? As a WP resident, I'm curious.

I'm new to this forum, but I like what I see. Just a note about the center where the old Diedrichs was located. I have spoken with the Diedrichs owner on a few occasions, as he's been known to step in Firkin & Phoenix on occasion, and it was 1 person specifically that forced them out of the center and that same person has wrought havoc on the other tenants. I'm not a huge fan of the nail shop or the other frou frou store, but Firkin and Phoenix (the pub on the end) is a really great establishment. The owner of the pub has been fighting an uphill battle in disassociating his establishment from the management company of the property. It seems your not the only person with this sentiment toward the Winslow Place area. Regardless, its a great little establishment with a great beer variety and much better than average bar food. I encourage anyone in the area to stop in for a pint! (Note: I am not employed there and was not coerced into making this post. I do however pay the light bill ;) )

Last time I went there they gave me a "pint" glass that was 12 oz. But I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
With the new apartments going in, I wonder how long the storage place and the 99 cent store will hold out.

Apparently not much longer. 99 cents only is closing all stores in Texas... Hopefully we won't see a vacant store sitting in this area for long. Looks like the new building down the street is still completely empty

Apparently not much longer. 99 cents only is closing all stores in Texas... Hopefully we won't see a vacant store sitting in this area for long. Looks like the new building down the street is still completely empty

That's interesting. I wonder if the store will get another tenant or be redeveloped.

I have been wondering what's going on with the lot beside Hazard. I hope it's not another victim of the current financial woes.

That's interesting. I wonder if the store will get another tenant or be redeveloped.

I have been wondering what's going on with the lot beside Hazard. I hope it's not another victim of the current financial woes.

Remember, this used to be the Academy, until they moved to the new building at 59 and Shepherd. Hmm, now what sort of chain store would work in this location?

Remember, this used to be the Academy, until they moved to the new building at 59 and Shepherd. Hmm, now what sort of chain store would work in this location?

I think something with the initials T and J would work very nicely. Are you listening Trader Joe's?

Archived