Walnut Bend: Family-Friendly Or Crime-Ridden

sarahiki

An article in the Chron today about a murder in a neighborhood south of Walnut Bend stirred a flurry of comments about crime in Walnut Bend:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5381378.html

I was looking for more informed opinions. What do you think about Walnut Bend? We are looking for houses and that is one area we are considering. I have little kids so safety is certainly a concern.

Thanks for any feedback.

An article in the Chron today about a murder in a neighborhood south of Walnut Bend stirred a flurry of comments about crime in Walnut Bend:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5381378.html

I was looking for more informed opinions. What do you think about Walnut Bend? We are looking for houses and that is one area we are considering. I have little kids so safety is certainly a concern.

Thanks for any feedback.

We live over in the area, but off Memorial. Briar Forest and Wilcrest has become a thug corner since Katrina. Looking at Walnut Bend's current prices, I'd say go with Nottingham Forest or Rustling Oaks or the 77079 zip code, just north of Walnut Bend. Buffalo Bayou seems to be a great natural barrier to the worst of it. About the same price range but in what most in Houston would consider a safer and slightly better school district. Spring Branch ISD. Not a great number on the market in the lower ranges right now, but that area goes on the market in March/April, due to school calendars.

I think everywhere you live in Houston, or its suburbs, you are only as safe as you make yoursef. Don't park your car on the street overnight, watch who is following you down your street day or night, use your alarm system, put walkie talkies on the kids and make them stay in groups, close your garage before you get out of your car, get a driveway gate if you can etc.

Most of the problems we have had are car break-ins of vehicles that have been left on the street overnight. But right around Christmas all the neighborhoods are getting armed robberies in their driveways (thus the gate recommendation). There are really not many home break-ins anywhere around here (except apartmentments), its more opportunity crime that occurs. ie. Being followed home and held-up in your driveway, bikes stolen the kids left out, yard equipment and the like.

PS- I just read your article. I wouldn't judge a neighborhood based on what goes on in apartment complexes. That's all resident on resident crime. Katrinaville is over in the area and they have been fighting for 2 1/2 year now in the complexs. Go drive through the neighborhood or better yet park and walk with your kids. Ask the mom's with strollers or the elderly residents about the neighborhood. If there is really a problem there, on or two will not cherry coat it. Most likely the older couples. Here is the Houston Crime Map for the area. http://houstoncrimemaps.com/zip/77042/

Look at the bubbles actually IN the neighborhood, Not on Briar Forest. You will see most bubbles are where the apartments are. You will see similar patterns in River Oaks, Tanglewood, West U etc. But yeah, I'd still say try to stay closer to Memorial.

I'm not to familiar with all the enterances into Walnut Bend, but I think most if not all are sided by the apartments.

The crime in question did not happen in the Walnut Bend subdivison. In fact, if you look at the location of the incident, you will see that it happened between Westheimer and Richmond....closer to Richmond. The Walnut Bend street runs all the way to West Park.

Walnut Bend is a family friendly neighborhood that happens to be close to some unsavory elements. Even so, most of those elements stay out of the neighboorhood. I don't hear about any more crime in WB than other areas. Lately, it seems that I have been receiving crime alerts from those areas off Memorial Drive. We live in Houston...you will find crime everywhere.

I like the idea of talking to folks in the neighborhood.

Can I ask who/where..... "stirred a flurry of comments about crime in Walnut Bend"?

The crime in question did not happen in the Walnut Bend subdivison. In fact, if you look at the location of the incident, you will see that it happened between Westheimer and Richmond....closer to Richmond. The Walnut Bend street runs all the way to West Park.

Walnut Bend is a family friendly neighborhood that happens to be close to some unsavory elements. Even so, most of those elements stay out of the neighboorhood. I don't hear about any more crime in WB than other areas. Lately, it seems that I have been receiving crime alerts from those areas off Memorial Drive. We live in Houston...you will find crime everywhere.

I like the idea of talking to folks in the neighborhood.

Can I ask who/where..... "stirred a flurry of comments about crime in Walnut Bend"?

There are a whole bunch of comments on the article linked. My question is, I though Jim MacIngvale (Mattress Mac) was going to buy up some of those apartments to help out Westside Tennis and the neighborhood. Its been about two years since I heard that, but now it seems its an urban legend. I'd love to see that whole Food Town complex razzed. However, the brand new one on the corner can't get any tenants because of the local residents that saunter around the corner trying to look tough.

We have gotten a flurry of emails also. Most of what is going on seems to be in Memorial Plaza, and of the follow home and hold-up in the driveway variety. Car breaki-ins are still our biggest problem, but that's all over the city. You just don't leave your cars on the street overnight, anywhere.

Thanks for putting that in perspective for me... it's certainly true that there's crime everywhere.

Blue Valley, I know that crime wasn't in Walnut Bend (see my original post), but the comments linked to the article WERE mainly about Walnut Bend. Hence my interest.

There are a whole bunch of comments on the article linked. My question is, I though Jim MacIngvale (Mattress Mac) was going to buy up some of those apartments to help out Westside Tennis and the neighborhood. Its been about two years since I heard that, but now it seems its an urban legend. I'd love to see that whole Food Town complex razzed. However, the brand new one on the corner can't get any tenants because of the local residents that saunter around the corner trying to look tough.

We have gotten a flurry of emails also. Most of what is going on seems to be in Memorial Plaza, and of the follow home and hold-up in the driveway variety. Car breaki-ins are still our biggest problem, but that's all over the city. You just don't leave your cars on the street overnight, anywhere.

• The title was changed to Walnut Bend: Family-Friendly Or Crime-Ridden

Archived