Tipping The Mailman

KatieDidIt

I've read several places that its illegal to tip the mailman, it could put them in jeopardy. What do you all do?

Our mailman delivers to our door everyday at the same time. Calls us Mr. and Mrs. X everytime he sees us in the neighborhood. Puts large packages over the wall out of sight. He left us a nice card for the holidays at his own expense,etc. It would be almost impossible not to tip him or just write him off with some cookies, he's just that good.

Growing up, my parents always tipped the mailman and gave him cookies. I say a card with 20 bucks and some cookies. The constables that park daily at the end of the street-cookies. The trashmen some cash so they don't get grumpy and leave the cans in the street.

My father and father-in-law were both letter carriers. The rule governing gifts for postal employees is that they may accept "gifts worth $20 or less on a single occasion" but never cash and gifts may not total a worth of over $50 from a single giver within a calendar year.

My father and father-in-law were both letter carriers. The rule governing gifts for postal employees is that they may accept "gifts worth $20 or less on a single occasion" but never cash and gifts may not total a worth of over $50 from a single giver within a calendar year.

Thanks for that. What sort of things did they like to get? Is a Gift Card considered cash? hmmm

Yes, definitely. Me and my prior mailman were together 6 years. My stuff was never, ever messed up. He'd get out of truck and bring stuff to my door he didn't need to. I'll probably never have another mailman like that..... :rolleyes: Every Christmas, $25, some homemade treats and of course a handwritten card. Also I did this on his birthday after we got to know each other (he was a widower). Have a new mailman with the new place, so we'll see how it goes this year with the cash and the card.

My grandpa was a mailman. Hoofing it on foot with the bag in the old days. A good mailman is a good thing indeed.

Yes, definitely. Me and my prior mailman were together 6 years. My stuff was never, ever messed up. He'd get out of truck and bring stuff to my door he didn't need to. I'll probably never have another mailman like that..... :rolleyes: Every Christmas, $25, some homemade treats and of course a handwritten card. Also I did this on his birthday after we got to know each other (he was a widower). Have a new mailman with the new place, so we'll see how it goes this year with the cash and the card.

My grandpa was a mailman. Hoofing it on foot with the bag in the old days. A good mailman is a good thing indeed.

Yeah, I used to leave the lady at our other Houston home cash, even though she had a headset on her head was talking to somebody all the time, and I swear she had her kids deliver for her from time to time. I guess I'll do the 20 bucks in the card with the good cookies. Or a gift card to Target just to be safe. I read Gift Cards are allowed. And to places they might use, its close to cash.

When we had the community mailbox, no way. The mail was always mixed up and came often after 6pm. I left those guys nothing. Horrible mail service and they wouldn't even leave the tiniest package at the door, you had to drive to the PO to get it. Certainly didn't give the trash guys with the claw on the truck anything. A bag would fall out and they would just run it over on the way out of the neighborhood.

Not the mailman, but I tipped the UPS driver. The same driver delivers to my house all year round. Living in Midtown, he has gone to great lengths to ensure my packages are safe. He will wrap them in plastic, and hide them behind a bush, and then leave me a note explaining where the package was hidden, etc.

Or he will stop by my house at 7pm since he knows Ill be home.

I gave him $100 bucks for Christmas this year.

On my street, we don't have a regular mail carrier and I don't think that I'll reward bad service with a tip or gift.

One day earlier this year, a semi-regular carrier who was always yakking on his cell phone misdelivered a neighbor's mail in my box. Amazingly, I was working in the front yard when he did this. A few minutes later he noticed me and asked me to unlock my mailbox and retrieve it! I never saw him again.

A week before leaving on vacation last summer, I went to the local post office branch and filled out a form to have my mail held while I was out of town. This can also be done by email, but a local resident told me horror stories of coming home to an overflowing mailbox twice when he tried it. When I got back, my mailbox - large and with a lock - was half full. Some mail was held and some was not. Two weeks later, I was still getting "old" mail.

I complained to the local PO branch manager. Obviously, there is a serious communication problem.

Don't give them any more fruitcake. Perhaps the law limiting the gifts that can be given are contributing to the number of crazy postmen. Another fruitcake from Mrs Wilson can send a perfectly good mailman over the edge.

Thanks for that. What sort of things did they like to get? Is a Gift Card considered cash? hmmm

My father and father-in-law received a variety of gifts including: candy, books, gift cards or gift certificates, magazine subscriptions, coffee mug, cigars, coffee beans, homemade cookies, flashlight, bottle of real maple syrup, pistachio nuts, almonds, or other fancy nuts, bottles of sparkling cider, jar of pure honey, socks, baskets of food--cheeses, dried fruits, salami, gourmet food items (specialty hot sauce, barbecue sauce, salsa), wall or desk calendars, potted plants, scarves, gloves, CDs, cologne or shaving lotion, tools, movie tickets, bottle of wine, batteries, picture frames. Not sure which gifts they liked best.

So, this mailman brought the mail to this one house at Christmas, when the door opened and the sultry woman of the house was standing there in a sheer nightie. She took his hand and pulled him into the house and into the bedroom. There she took off his clothes, threw him on the bed and had her way with him.

After he dressed, she took him into the kitchen where there was a wonderful breakfast waiting for him. He ate with gusto.

When he was finished eating, she put a dollar bill beside his plate.

Puzzled, he asked what was going on.

She replied, "Last night I asked my husband what to give you for Christmas. He said, 'F**k the mailman.' The dollar was my idea."

Federal employees are adequately compensated, IMO.

But just in case, if the IRS ever calls me on the carpet, what's the appropriate amount to tip the auditor?

As the daughter-in-law of one, I can assure you that you are not entirely correct in your "opinion".

So, this mailman brought the mail to this one house at Christmas, when the door opened and the sultry woman of the house was standing there in a sheer nightie. She took his hand and pulled him into the house and into the bedroom. There she took off his clothes, threw him on the bed and had her way with him.

After he dressed, she took him into the kitchen where there was a wonderful breakfast waiting for him. He ate with gusto.

When he was finished eating, she put a dollar bill beside his plate.

Puzzled, he asked what was going on.

She replied, "Last night I asked my husband what to give you for Christmas. He said, 'F**k the mailman.' The dollar was my idea."

LOL. That was f**king great.

Archived