CityCentre: Mixed-Use Development At 800 Town And Country Blvd.

Parrothead

I agree with you. Why on earth would I journey that far without saying "Eff it, might as well go to San Antonio!!". What's in city centRe? Amegy bank? Anthroplogie? I think I'll pass.

If you don't live near it then there really is no reason for you to go there. It's very nice for the people that live nearby though.

Somewhat related:

Pelada is coming to Houston!

When: May 19, 2010 @ 7:30 p.m.

Where: Studio Movie Grill @ CityCentre

Address: 805 Town and Country Lane, Houston, Texas 77024

You can purchase tickets in advance here for $10 each.

This is a great opportunity to see the movie and help the filmmakers raise much needed funds to complete post-production before the World Cup kicks off.

There will also be a Q&A with the director, Ryan White, immediately following the screening.

More info: http://blogs.chron.c...t_the_dire.html

The new documentary Pelada (Brazilian slang for a pick-up soccer game) inspired abundant positive reviews following its world premiere at the SXSW Film Festival in Austin back in March. How about this quote from Sports Illustrated: "a marvelous new soccer documentary...what elevates Pelada from a cute highlight travelogue to something more resonant is the filmmakers' ability to find compelling stories and earn the trust of their interview subjects…the result is a film that combines eye-popping cinematography with human stories."

I agree with you. Why on earth would I journey that far without saying "Eff it, might as well go to San Antonio!!". What's in city centRe? Amegy bank? Anthroplogie? I think I'll pass.

Heh. At least you can put forth the tiniest bit of effort and google City Centre and learn what they actually have before just assuming things and bashing it.

• Like 1

My experience of City Centre:

Me and the girlfriend had a Thursday and Friday off work a few months ago and were looking for a place around Houston for a night away. Found that City Centre had good specials and decided to book there at Hotel Sorella. Very nice hotel and good a discount on it so immediately that was a plus. Walked over to Escalantes and had some decent Tex Mex and good ritas/drinks. It was a bit of a walk as I planned on not using my car once we got there. There area immediately surrounding the hotel was very walkable and busy for a Thursday all Thursday late afternoon and evening. Had drinks at the many bars near and in the hotel and ate of RA (sushi bar). It was definitely a great evening and you could spend a whole evening at City Centre. With that said, it was more upscale than I usually prefer but it was a good change from going to my usual places. It had one of the most diverse mixes of people I've encountered in Houston: racially, economically, and age.

• Like 1

Spending more and more time at CityCentre and am really amazed on how busy it can get during the week. We were there last night and were commenting on how it looked like a weekend - patios at Ra, Yard House and Brio were full... plenty of people at Straits... people hanging out at Monnalisa... kids running in the plaza and a surprising amount of car and foot traffic. The permanent Ruggles Green sign is up and we also spotted this - http://www.floraandmuse.com/ will be opening. Cyclone Anaya's is coming along as is McCormick & Shmick's (not part of City Centre but across the street from Eddie V's).

Nice!

My wife and I go to Lifetime Fitness 5 days a week. I check out the crowds every time we're there. It seems to be getting more and more crowded every week. I'd like to go to Yard House this Friday but we probably won't because of the long wait.

We went to the dog thing last weekend and it was packed. There were a bunch of retrievers swimming in the courtyard fountain. They had staff with scoopers cleaning up after the dogs.

I hadn't heard about Flora and Muse yet. While searching for info on it I came across this article that I don't think has been linked here before.

http://houston.modernluxury.com/style/urbane-planning-citycentre

Niche, someone...do yall think the success of this place in Houston will encourage lenders to go forward with other projects similar to this like Regent Square, Oaks District and BLVD? I would think so, at least to a certain extent.

• Like 2

Niche, someone...do yall think the success of this place in Houston will encourage lenders to go forward with other projects similar to this like Regent Square, Oaks District and BLVD? I would think so, at least to a certain extent.

The success of this place also speaks to the viability of this type of project in a suburban area.

I think it might work out in the woodlands and sugarland. Maybe call them town centers?

lol

Has anyone been to both recently? Is Sugarland's boomin as much as TW?

The only thing about these places is that they are high-end. How much high-end do we have to go around?

They don't build these type of places for the middle and lower income areas and include things like dry cleaners, super-cuts and jo-anns fabrics. You can only wear so much clothes at one time! haha

lol

Has anyone been to both recently? Is Sugarland's boomin as much as TW?

The only thing about these places is that they are high-end. How much high-end do we have to go around?

They don't build these type of places for the middle and lower income areas and include things like dry cleaners, super-cuts and jo-anns fabrics. You can only wear so much clothes at one time! haha

Agreed, keep in mind folks this is the demographic center of Houston and the highest earning zip code in Texas (and likely the south). This won't fly just anywhere.

I love that people call this the burb's. I live in Spring Branch (obviously Spring Shadows) and I work in the Galleria, I can drive to work in 12 minutes in the morning. It takes about 15 minutes to get to downtown. Outside the Loop isn't the burbs anymore, it's the city. It's the demographic center of the city, it's memorial, it's the best school district in the city. Like it or lump it, it's Houston and in 10 years when it has many more high-rises no-one will think any differently

Gessner looks like a dump north of I-10 but mark my words it's changing fast. Spring Shadows is filled with 80 year olds who've been dropping like flies and every time they get replaced but very successful 30-somethings with kids like myself. I've seen more luxury vehicles on Gessner than pick-ups recently and that's unusual. We've had 2 attorneys move into our cull-de-sac this year. Our neighborhood is very family friendly, I know the names of everyone on our street and they know me, we exchange emails and look out for each other. The changes I've seen in just 4 years are crazy. Especially around Bunker Hill. Westview is now littered with HUGE new homes, and every day there is another one added. Money's run out of room south of I-10 and has now crossed the freeway. My home value, even in this economy, has gone up nearly 60k in 3 years (I had it appraised to re-finance). The 35 story building you all hate so much brought 35 stories of professionals to the area who want to live close to work as has the new C-Mex building. We bid on a house on Westview, 1600 square feet listed at 140k, we offered 162k, it sold for 200k. The comps can't even keep up.

Buy now, mark my words. The branding in this area expands every day (street signs, pavers, 12 new (matching) schools, obilesks, gateway markers, flowers) and when light rail, City Center expansion north of I-10, Memorial City expansion north of I-10, and Gessner re-build happens you'll wish you did.

Edited by SpringShadows

Sure, if their location is as optimal as this one. But it's not. See: waterlights district.

Sure, if their location is as optimal as this one. But it's not. See: waterlights district.

I think that's kinda comparing apples to oranges. Waterlights Districs is in the middle of nowhere and the three I listed are inside or on the loop, on the west side of town.

• 1 month later...

There is no future in commercial real estate until the financial crisis works itself out.

Right. I was not implying it would be going up anytime soon. It just seemed weird to keep one little parcel undeveloped and it looks perfect for a mid rise condo/apt building.

Right. I was not implying it would be going up anytime soon. It just seemed weird to keep one little parcel undeveloped and it looks perfect for a mid rise condo/apt building.

The plan is for another mid-rise but, yeah, it may be a while. I have no doubt that it will eventually happen. The places is primarily leased with restaurants and it gets packed in the evenings. Ruggles Green should open any day now and I think Cyclone Anaya's is close.

• Like 1

The plan is for another mid-rise but, yeah, it may be a while. I have no doubt that it will eventually happen. The places is primarily leased with restaurants and it gets packed in the evenings. Ruggles Green should open any day now and I think Cyclone Anaya's is close.

Do you know that by word of mouth or a document online? If online, I'd like to take a look at it. I haven't been able to find anything for myself. None of the site plans I've seen even acknowledge the space is even there.

Thanks

At some point I expect that a highrise will make sense, but I wonder how the Domain apartments are leasing so far. It appears the restaurants, LifeTime, and Studio Movie Grill are doing very well, but I haven't heard about the rental properties. Real estate in the area thrives because of the location and schools, but I wonder if renters will pay the premium to be in City Centre. Personally, I think twenty somethings without kids will want to live in the city centre complex for the location and amenities, but I haven't been a twenty something without kids for a while :)

At some point I expect that a highrise will make sense, but I wonder how the Domain apartments are leasing so far. It appears the restaurants, LifeTime, and Studio Movie Grill are doing very well, but I haven't heard about the rental properties. Real estate in the area thrives because of the location and schools, but I wonder if renters will pay the premium to be in City Centre. Personally, I think twenty somethings without kids will want to live in the city centre complex for the location and amenities, but I haven't been a twenty something without kids for a while :)

I also wonder how soon (10-15 years?) they'll tear down the strip centers to the south and expand city centre?

Town and Country has been updated quite a bit recently. They just added about 100k square feet. Town & Country and Citycentre are totally separate shopping centers owned by different companies. The fact that Citycentre is doing so well seems to be helping T&C. I was there on the Fourth of July and there was foot traffic all through T&C, it's probably here to stay as is for a long time.

• Like 1

I heard they would most likely expand north of I-10 near the college first and simply update Town & Country to the south.

Oh yeah, I think someone mentioned that in this thread somewhere?

That's not a bad idea I guess. I sort of wish they'd just expand to the south to create more continuity, but I guess two city centres flanking I-10 would not be so bad either. But I wonder if they did expand on the other side of I-10 if that would create competition between the two whereas a southern expansion would compliment the existing one? What do you think?